• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bad would overwatch look in portable mode? Do you guys think Blizzard would be willing to sacrifice graphic fidelity? I partially think it will only be ported over a year after launch and only if sales are pretty good. So... 50/50 chance I wage.

oti

Banned
How bad would overwatch look in portable mode? Do you guys think Blizzard would be willing to sacrifice graphic fidelity? I partially think it will only be ported over a year after launch and only if sales are pretty good. So... 50/50 chance I wage.

Overwatch should be fine. Not like the game looks amazing on consoles anyway. I really hope it comes to Switch. Pretty much the only chance we'll see it on a handheld.

The game doesn't seem that graphically demanding to me.
I only have watched it in videos though.

Go onto PC and put the settings to low :)

I would love OW on switch, but I doubt it'll happen. Since it always needs an Internet connection to do anything the portable aspect is fairly useless.

I would love OW on switch, but I doubt it'll happen. Since it always needs an Internet connection to do anything the portable aspect is fairly useless.

I fear that too.

Funny, i think overwatch would be my switch killer app before any Nintendo games announced up until now. Only a really really good Metroid could change that i think.

Mistle

I have followed the NX speculation threads since day one, been on all the hypes trains. Presentation is at 3pm Australia time, possibly the most convenient time ever for once.
I have work til 5pm :(

wow a nintendo presentation that isn't at 2am?? :D

i'm getting pretty hyped. can't believe how quick this thing snuck up on me considering how big of a Nintendo fan I am!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. This is going to be on at 8 PM on Thursday (pacific time/California).

Why so much earlier than a direct?

I'm not sure I understand your confusion, but I'll try to explain the timing. The presentation isn't a Direct. It's a stage event hosted by Kimishima that's being held in Japan on Friday afternoon and being streamed worldwide with an English translation. So, the timing in all regions is entirely based on what makes the most sense for a Japanese stage presentation, since it's a livestream. With a Direct, they pre-record everything and have more flexibility with timing because of that.

I fear that too.

Funny, i think overwatch would be my switch killer app before any Nintendo games announced up until now. Only a really really good Metroid could change that i think.

I mean, in theory a portable LAN overwatch would still be great, but IIRC you need a connection even to do that.

It's kinda funny, because in my eyes Overwatch as an IP is a perfect fit for Nintendo platforms.

Mista Koo

Watch it live, this is the hypest thing in the last several thousand years of civilization.
I would have to cut my sleeping time in half, after staying up til very late/early. Also would be too tired to live tweet or follow it with Twitter.

Which is why I'm asking for a spoiler free thread so that I can watch everything without spoilers when I wake up.

Machina

Banned
1mzyng24un8y.jpg

C02C1F695DA7FFB65DEF5BE222302098253F7FFE

I mean, in theory a portable LAN overwatch would still be great, but IIRC you need a connection even to do that.

It's kinda funny, because in my eyes Overwatch as an IP is a perfect fit for Nintendo platforms.
But wouldn't the same apply for something like Splatoon? I mean, it's mainly played as an online multiplayer shooter but that doesn't seem to be an issue for the Switch. Not to mention, for the most part, you can get WiFi when you're out and about or at home

I have followed the NX speculation threads since day one, been on all the hypes trains. Presentation is at 3pm Australia time, possibly the most convenient time ever for once.
I have work til 5pm :(

Crazy. Exact same situation here too. Imma try use one of the office rooms, pretend I'm busy with the headphones on and fanboi the hell out.

oti

Banned
Sorry fam, but this looks ugly.
But wouldn't the same apply for something like Splatoon? I mean, it's mainly played as an online multiplayer shooter but that doesn't seem to be an issue for the Switch. Not to mention, for the most part, you can get WiFi when you're out and about or at home
Pretty much. At least Nintendo will put in some kind of offline mode or the single player in Splatoon. Something I can't imagine Blizzard doing for Overwatch unless Nintendo pays them for it.

Pretty much. At least Nintendo will put in some kind of offline mode or the single player in Splatoon. Something I can't imagine Blizzard doing for Overwatch unless Nintendo pays them for it.
There is that...but I still find it kind of weird that people are saying that the game being an always online game is an issue when the same also applies to Splatoon. It has a short single-player and a mediocre local multiplayer but the meat of the game was it's online matches

oti

Banned
There is that...but I still find it kind of weird that people are saying that the game being an always online game is an issue when the same also applies to Splatoon. It has a short single-player and a mediocre local multiplayer but the meat of the game was it's online matches

I agree. But maybe the average consumer is stupid enough to believe their multiplayer games will magically work on the go for some reason. I don't know.

Ladekabel

I don't think an online connection isn't an issue. After all, there is already an MMO announced for the Switch.

I agree. But maybe the average consumer is stupid enough to believe their multiplayer games will magically work on the go for some reason. I don't know.
Well that'd only be if they're unfamiliar with anything from the past ten years. I mean, people have smartphones and I'm sure they know that if they don't have WiFi or data they can't access the Internet or some games

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Who the hell LANs these days?
I'll LAN at work. Picture this. Switch makes it possible and it's amazing.

I used to LAN on Unreal Tournament but it was different times, when office PCs and Network were not that controlled.

Why would it matter if you can't play Overwatch without internet. You won't be able to play dragon quest x without internet either. You also won't be able to play Splatoon multiplayer without internet. I know they may add a 1 v 1 mouse. But it isn't the same.

Being online only isn't a problem. The more options for games you have the more successful the Switch had a chance to be.

ugoo18

Random thought but i can't make up my mind if i want to go Digital or Physical for certain games lol. I love having the cartridge cases for my games but for games such as Smash Bros, Monster Hunter and Mario Kart that i know i'll play often i want them always on the system lol.

For the 3DS i did that for Smash and Monster Hunter because i was too impatient to wait when they released at midnight and i didn't really consider Smash 3DS as being the Smash i wanted in physical form also vs the WiiU. Now that it's likely to be both consolidated in one i'm not sure which route to go, i really don't want to buy two copies lol however if there was a way to buy the cases alone i'd be all for that.

This is under the assumption that a proper account system is happening, which i hope and expect to be the case.

jdstorm

Banned
Does no one have a smartphone that they can use as a hotspot? Do places with public Wifi not exist?

There are simple ways around the required internet connection to the point where its s non issue.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Fam, the presentation is the day after tomorrow. Almost there!

for your timezone! for me it is on friday >>

Random thought but i can't make up my mind if i want to go Digital or Physical for certain games lol. I love having the cartridge cases for my games but for games such as Smash Bros, Monster Hunter and Mario Kart that i know i'll play often i want them always on the system lol.

This is under the assumption that a proper account system is happening, which i hope and expect to be the case.

I'll mix. Games like Zelda, MH, Splatoon or Overwatch (if it happens) I'll buy digital. A game like Skyrim I'll buy retail, so I can sell it again someday.

JoeNut

God damn so the show is at 1am on Friday 13th GMT (UK time) am i right?

any ideas how long it will last? i may have to stay up

Overwatch is a service. They would have to update it frequently even if it flops or face backlash. i think the risk is too high right now and the reward to little.

Maybe down the line...

Splatoon probably has solid offline MP and is also most likely a one and done game again (with updates already done).

God damn so the show is at 1am on Friday 13th GMT (UK time) am i right?

any ideas how long it will last? i may have to stay up

That sounds wrong. I think it's at 4AM.
It's live, which takes more time to transition between segments, so i would guess that the duration is around an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom