• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the switch still be viable without a TV? Or will I miss something. I'll probably have a TV by that time, but if if not, will I just be ok?

Do previous Nintendo consoles play well with monitors?

You'll be fine. The entire USP of the Switch is the play the same game at home or on the go.

Forgive me if this was answered already,

Does the Switch have streaming/gameplay recording software? (Or what are the chances of having these?)

Nintendo hasn't officially confirmed it, but yes, you can record gameplay clips. It's in the latest Switch patent. As for streaming, I don't think anything's been rumored.

pislit

Does the Switch have streaming/gameplay recording software? (Or what are the chances of having these?)

We finally got through countless tiring NX speculation threads and the fake controller debacle. Now we are here, waiting for the Switch event. In times like this, I decide to re-visit those hypest moments in Nintendo history. Here are those I can think of:

E3 2001 Super Smash Melee reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOLLpj7N2M

E3 2004 Twilight Princess reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg

2013 January Direct (the last 10 mins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzG6lDA1A0

Cloud announced for Smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wah7AGkkzl4 (Max's reaction is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5gdf5cMPM)

May the hype be with you.

Scrawnton

Please be Mario 64 like in structure. No 3D World type gameplay!

I feel 3D Land was the better of the two so if it more resembled that I wouldn't complain to be honest.

I would complain. Galaxy, sunshine, and especially Mario 64 had a depth that 3d Land and World never came close to.

Neoxon

According to Laura Kate Dale & the patents, it does have native recording software (it's that square button on the left Joy-Con below the directional buttons). No word on streaming, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really hope Stardew Valley will be read for launch or pretty soon after...have been waiting for a while to play the game. But getting it on PC didnt make sense with the Switch version upcoming - same for Steamworld Heist...could have gotten it on 3DS or WiiU - but i rather just get it on Switch and have best of both world with high-res assets on the portable and the ability to play it on the TV.

Scrawnton

I really hope Stardew Valley will be read for launch or pretty soon after...have been waiting for a while to play the game. But getting it on PC didnt make sense with the Switch version upcoming - same for Steamworld Heist...could have gotten it on 3DS or WiiU - but i rather just get it on Switch and have best of both world with high-res assets on the portable and the ability to play it on the TV.

Yeah I was waiting for the console launch real bad and then they announced Wii U was cancelled and moved to Switch. I'm okay with it missing launch because of Zelda but I would like it in April.

Open world vs polish.... it's a tough one.

Is this for real? The last thing I think of is lack of polish when playing Galaxy, Sunshine and 64....

Does it feel strange to anyone else that we are very close to not only the full reveal of the system, launch games, future games and price but ALSO the actual release of the console !

So used to seeing Nintendo consoles then having to wait at least six months, sometimes even a yer and a half. We all complained about the lack of NX info but I think now I at least appreciate the way they handled it with the initial reveal, info event and release all so close together.

Just so I understand, this will happen on Thursday night at 4am (technically Friday morning) in the UK correct ?

wwm0nkey

Since not a lot of people saw it in the other thread, GoNintendo is reporting 20-30 units for preorders per store. Rural areas will be fine

I wonder how Japan-centric this presentation will be?

For example, will we even see games that aren't likely to be released in Japan (thinking indies)?

Would say, BGE2, or any other western game be given much of a spotlight?

(Yeh I know, "what western games!?!?" )

Scrawnton

Does it feel strange to anyone else that we are very close to not only the full reveal of the system, launch games, future games and price but ALSO the actual release of the console !

So used to seeing Nintendo consoles then having to wait at least six months, sometimes even a yer and a half. We all complained about the lack of NX info but I think now I at least appreciate the way they handled it with the initial reveal, info event and release all so close together.

Just so I understand, this will happen on Thursday night at 4am in the UK correct ?

I remember in middle school having my Nintendo Powers in my book bag and reading them daily with the leadup to GameCube. This went on for months. Here we are, two months away and we still know practically nothing. It's very exciting.

I agree wholeheartedly! I've seen people complain that we've "known" the Switch is coming for a while, but that was due to an investors meeting. I honestly hope that all consoles going forward have fairly tight reveal to release schedules. As annoying as it was to wait for Nintendo to show their hand with the Switch, I'm now glad that I can play it in mere months. Imagine if we had Thursday's presentation at E3! The conversation would have died down quite some time ago.

For example, will we even see games that aren't likely to be released in Japan (thinking indies)?

I think they will try to make a homogenized presentation. Maybe some release dates differences that will be explained by the different branches. But this presentation aims to a international public, not just japanese.

pislit

Nintendo hasn't officially confirmed it, but yes, you can record gameplay clips. It's in the latest Switch patent. As for streaming, I don't think anything's been rumored.

According to Laura Kate Dale & the patents, it does have native recording software (it's that square button on the left Joy-Con below the directional buttons). No word on streaming, though.

Thank you Jesus. I am not really interested in streaming just in gameplay recording, figured that streaming will be the 'long-cut' to do it when the latter is not available.

Waji

I absolutely think that the next 2D Mario needs to reinvent the wheel. Mario Maker is like their "Greatest Hits" album for 2D Mario games. They have to give us something unique that changes the way we play and think about 2D Mario games now. As I said above, I want the vault/climb mechanic from Mario Run at the absolute minimum.
From what I understood it seems like Mario 2D's (close) future is on smartphone.
Didn't Nintendo themselves said they would move away from it for a while ?

We'll probably learn a lot about indies during the Treehouse presentation (if they aren't talked about during the main event itself).

Robin64

Galaxy is about as open-world as 3D World. Yeah you can go round things but you're still going from point A to point B in a classic Mario style, not exploring an area like Mario 64. It's just as much "obstacle course Mario" as 3D World.

new_Mario_Game.gif

SOON

Watch this be revealed as a sequel to Sonic R and it's just a running racer- hooo lawdy

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah I was waiting for the console launch real bad and then they announced Wii U was cancelled and moved to Switch. I'm okay with it missing launch because of Zelda but I would like it in April.

Zelda is a must have - but im looking forward to get a couple of indie titles as well during the launch. I have been ignoring quite some stuff lately because of a potential Switch version. Need Darkest Dungeon on that thing as well...heh.

From what I understood it seems like Mario 2D's (close) future is on smartphone.

No, not really.
Dont think we will have to wait that long for another 2D console Mario with a new spin.

oti

Banned
The sad reality :(

If the system really is slower in handheld mode, I expect many janky games which run way better in console mode.

I have faith in Nintendo when it comes to this. Their streaming protocol for Wii U was flawless. I'm sure they took the steps necessary to ensure both modes are equally playable and fun. Otherwise this whole concept is pointless.

They better allow me to buy a few more docks and also use a dock other than the one that came with my system.

I have a worrying feeling, knowing Nintendo, that they'll tie the handheld to the dock somehow. I don't know how that would happen but I imagine Reggie spends sleepless nights pondering how he can screw us over.

I'm not taking my dock everywhere I go, Reggie. I spent years trucking around my entire Wii U system because of you.

I know these weren't Reggie's ideas but I like pretending they were.

maxcriden

No, not really.
Dont think we will have to wait that long for another 2D console Mario with a new spin.

Yep, and to clarify further, Nintendo (Tezuka specifically, and maybe Miyamoto as well) said around the time of the SMM release that they planned to challenge themselves for the next main 2D Mario game to make it sufficiently fresh/different.

maxcriden

In stores most likely the moment they open on Friday. Online retailers will either wait until Friday morning or go right away at midnight EST when the presentation ends.

Is the presentation confirmed to be an hour? When I posted the NicoNico estimate the other day it was debunked.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The sad reality :(

If the system really is slower in handheld mode, I expect many janky games which run way better in console mode.

Given the scaling, the goal is clearly for 720p on the go and 1080p at home, which would mean equal frame rate performance on both. That's likely what Nintendo is doing with all of their own games, as should third-party exclusives. It's only ports that might be an issue and... yeah... let's be real, those will be extremely rare, if not completely nonexistent after Sonic 2017.

They better allow me to buy a few more docks and also use a dock other than the one that came with my system.

I have a worrying feeling, knowing Nintendo, that they'll tie the handheld to the dock somehow. I don't know how that would happen but I imagine Reggie spends sleepless nights pondering how he can screw us over.

I'm not taking my dock everywhere I go, Reggie. I spent years trucking around my entire Wii U system because of you.

I know these weren't Reggie's ideas but I like pretending they were.

Current rumors suggest that extra docks will be available, just not at launch. Could just be a production thing for now. Either way, that seems to suggest that there is nothing to "lock" your console to one dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom