• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this for real? The last thing I think of is lack of polish when playing Galaxy, Sunshine and 64....

No I'm not saying that the other games were unpolished, but it was the the land/ world games that were more constrained which led to a very narrow focus that was able to be refined more. Where galaxy, 64, sunshine were more open and led to more exploration but we're not crafted in the same manner that you would not run into some technical issues sometime. Land/world we're nearly flawless in that aspect but didn't have really any exploration. It's a trade off you would have depending upon the game type.

YoodlePro

Wow, I've never owned any Nintendo console (except the GameBoy) and this looks to be my first.

It seems like the perfect companion/replacement to my Vita (which I love dearly, probably my favourite system). I loved the fact that you can local co op on the go, I played the local coop modes of LittleBig Planet Vita with my gf on the go so many times. I think I would buy the Switch even if just for that.

Also if the Skyrim rumour is true and other big blockbuster games come out for it, I will be all over this console. It is what the Vita was promised to be.

I want Mario to be on the same wavelength as Galaxy and Galaxy 2, fully utilising 3D space and unique gravity based platforming physics. It's 3D Mario at its absolute best as far as I'm concerned. But it won't happen. I think Nintendo is done with Galaxy as a series and after Galaxy 2, aka gold standard of all 3D platfomers ever, I can't blame them for wanting to try something new.

It doesn't look like 3D World which is great to me. I liked 3D World but that's just it; I liked it, not loved it. Its excessively rigid perspective and play space design felt like a massive step backwards from the 3D Mario identity no matter how fun it was, acting as a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario conventions.

I like Mario 64 too but I'm not overly big on the HUGE OPEN HUB IS BEST YOU GUYS philosophy some seem to cherish. I can see the appeal, but to me it's just wasted space, something Galaxy/Galaxy 2 did a far better job of pacing and balancing.

We'll see.

I love 64, but yeah, you're pretty much on the money.

And you purposely pick a picture of arguably the single ugliest, flattest section in the entire game to demonstrate your point? Go you!

Here, let me pick the prettiest one to even things out:

bowser_land_by_stone_hedgehog-d6vqizg.jpg

Pretty as this is, I'm still bummed it wasn't a consistent theme throughout the levels.

Dystify

Reading this topic is slowly making me hyped for the event. That's unusual, I haven't been hyped like this for anything in quite a while.

I'm excited to see your guys and the reaction on social media during and after the presentation. It should make for a good time.

what-ok

I wonder how Amiibo play into the Switch? I am not going to start collecting the dolls so I hope there isn't a bunch of content only unlocked with buying them. I know I won't like the answer but thought I could pose the question. )=

jackuiowa

Would there be a way for nintendo to automatically download the "switch" versions of wii u software onto the console for owners of wii u games? A small incentive or ambassador program would be nice vs paying for games already owned....likely dreaming

Would there be a way for nintendo to automatically download the "switch" versions of wii u software onto the console for owners of wii u games? A small incentive or ambassador program would be nice vs paying for games already owned....likely dreaming

If you owned the digital versions.. You may be able to purchase the other ones for less. That's really the only thing I would be able to see that they would do.

Don't do this to yourself

Neoxon

I wouldn't get your hopes up, especially since some of the ports (MK8, Splatoon, maybe Smash 4) will have bonus content on the Switch.

Scrawnton

Not the same content. Not the same game.

You aren't going to get it for free because they're supposed to have ehnhancements and extra content. They're more like half-step sequels. The best Nintendo could do is offer them at retail for $39.99.

LewieP

The issue I see with this is that it would be really easy to do it for people who bought the eShop versions of those games, but would be far trickier to do it for the disc versions. I don't know if they'd want to make an offer like this only available for eShop customers.

They could feasibly use the club Nintendo codes, or have some kind of retail trade in exchange, but neither of those solutions would be particularly ideal.

I'm hoping for something, since I own a lot of the games that might get ported over on the eShop, but I'm not really expecting anything.

Edit: I'd probably pay a reasonable upgrade fee for a few of the games, but yeah, they might just be budget releases.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Reggie will personally visit your house where he'll tick off which games you own on his special form.

It's not gonna happen, you're setting yourself up for dissapointment.

The Hermit

Or

"Play at Home or on the Go!"

*Game plays like garbage in handheld mode*

This is something I don't see people talking as much.

Basically all dev will have to make 2 optimizations: dock and handheld. This will either increase dev time or make one of the modes inferior (most likely portable mode).

Even Nintendo seems to be struggling with this, hence the low fps in the Zelda demo of the Switch.

Shiggy

Reggie will personally visit your house where he'll tick off which games you own on his special form.

Heard this one too. I think it's true. In Europe it's Shibata. Due to the low sales of Wii U, they thought they can easily do it this way.

If you want the Switch version, they will take away the Wii U disc version, however.

Basically all dev will have to make 2 optimizations: dock and handheld. This will either increase dev time or make one of the modes inferior (most likely portable mode).

Even Nintendo seems to be struggling with this, hence the low fps in the Zelda demo of the Switch.

That's pure speculation. We do not know how the console operates in the two modes. We have also only seen a few seconds of "handheld" footage from an over the shoulder camera.

Wait until Friday before you make any conclusions. Or even better, wait till Saturday and I'll tell you myself after I've played it.

Scrawnton

Not sure if you watched the Jimmy Fallon demo but the portable version ran at a solid 30fps.

Heard this one too. I think it's true. In Europe it's Shibata.
I heard if you didn't buy it, Reggie shows up and kicks your butt.

Yea, gonna get me some Zelda:Breath Of The Wild. Switch is obviously the superior version. Locked 30fps, 1080p; better LOD/DOF and AA.. All of that DIRECTLY into ma veins!!!

MonHun5 pretty much confirm it's a fake. They already have MHXX release mid-march, only 3DS is confirmed for the moment, at the best we'll get a Switch reveal for that game.

They revealed MH4 months before MH3G was released, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Still almost certainly fake, but FWIW.

DQX in 3DS isn't the best example of why an always online game should release on a portable device.
May not be the best experience but it works fine enough. I don't see why an online game being on a portable is an issue to begin with. Like with any other device, if you want to do something online, you need to be connected

Waji

Yep, and to clarify further, Nintendo (Tezuka specifically, and maybe Miyamoto as well) said around the time of the SMM release that they planned to challenge themselves for the next main 2D Mario game to make it sufficiently fresh/different.
That's good to know.

Xdrive05

Would it go to docked mode performance if you're using it in handheld mode but plugged into the wall?

Probably not since the output would still be going to the 720p screen in that scenario. They'd have no reason to clock it up for the TV resolution, well, no reason from a Nintendo perspective.

Now, what if they let you USBc-to-HDMI directly to your TV without using the dock? Then there would be a reason even by Nintendo logic. But I highly doubt they will allow that. The dock is there for a reason and that reason is probably that Nintendo wants to control the docked system orientation to keep it upright.

funo

Just saw this on Facebook and who ever did this good job!

img_0582l3kfq.jpg

This ad is so unsettling - how the hell does the CRT balance on top of those flatscreens, it makes no sense and really makes me angry :/

Also, apparently not made by Nintendo, just retweeted by them

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I remember when I said "If Sony leave handheld gaming I leave handheld gaming"

How times change. But in fairness how was I supposed to know Nintendo would release handheld gaming hardware that isn't complete garbage? It's unprecedented. Such an exciting time for this industry. Less than 3 days!

I remember when I said "If Sony leave handheld gaming I leave handheld gaming"

How times change. But in fairness how was I supposed to know Nintendo would release handheld gaming hardware that isn't complete garbage? It's unprecedented. Such an exciting time for this industry. Less than 3 days!

I thought you were talking about 3DS, that was confusing when you said hardware that isn't complete garbage. Because 3DS is!

A mediocre console is something Switch will be, but it will be a crazzzzy upgrade for 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom