• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new mario has also a huge field to walk around, that's the only reason why i picked that image. Because it's the only huge field in the game that i can remember.
I think you missed my point.

Yes, and the new Mario game only has one main character to render at all times, not up to 16 (with doubling cherries). You can't compare them via screenshots so directly.

The new Mario still looks like a Wii U game.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps this has been posted earlier, but I noticed that Bergsala AB, Nintendo's agent in Scandinavia, will be holding a pre-launch event on February 04 in Kungsbacka, Sweden. It's open to the public, no invitation needed.

Time & Location

Where: Our headquarters in Scandinavia, Marios Gata 21 Kungsbacka

When: Saturday February 4 at. 09:00 to 18:00 and Sunday, February 5 pm. 09:00 to 18:00

Our goal is that everyone who comes to visit will get to play at least an hour Nintendo Switch. But depending on how many visitors come, we can not promise an exact playing time.

As we expect that this event will be very popular and have many visitors, there is a risk of waiting. One tip is to bring a Nintendo 3DS and play a little StreetPass in the queue.

Registration

Our Nintendo Switch Pre-launch event is public so it's just to come by. Feel free to register for the event on our Facebook page so we know roughly how many people will come to visit.

Source: https://www.nintendo.se/nyheter/294-nintendo-switch-pre-launch-event

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo.se

ffdgh

new_Mario_Game.gif

SOON

Please have 3D world's playable characters at the start...

do you think that a small 2 sec long snip of galaxy or sunshine taken excluding the gimmick (splac/gravity) would "do something new"?

The point is I fear another safe game from EAD Tokyo.

They don't make bad games, never have, never will.

As fun and varied as 3D World was, that's not them letting their creative cerebellums go wild.

It is too little to go by but it's not what I envisioned for the "new kind of Mario".

Of course I'm eagerly awaiting to see more.

cacildo

I REALLY hope its a new Mario 64. Nintendo needs to give more freedom to its characters. We´ve been "on rails" all these WiiU years

Lets all remember that people were like "Wah wah i want a new Star Fox on rails!!!" and when we got that in Star Fox Zero everybody hated it (i know, i know, controls sucks too. But even without that bizarre set up that game still sucks). A new star fox should really be open world - i mean, open universe

oti

Banned
I want Mario to be on the same wavelength as Galaxy and Galaxy 2, fully utilising 3D space and unique gravity based platforming physics. It's 3D Mario at its absolute best as far as I'm concerned. But it won't happen. I think Nintendo is done with Galaxy as a series and after Galaxy 2, aka gold standard of all 3D platfomers ever, I can't blame them for wanting to try something new.

It doesn't look like 3D World which is great to me. I liked 3D World but that's just it; I liked it, not loved it. Its excessively rigid perspective and play space design felt like a massive step backwards from the 3D Mario identity no matter how fun it was, acting as a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario conventions.

I like Mario 64 too but I'm not overly big on the HUGE OPEN HUB IS BEST YOU GUYS philosophy some seem to cherish. I can see the appeal, but to me it's just wasted space, something Galaxy/Galaxy 2 did a far better job of pacing and balancing.

We'll see.
Your opinion is perfect. 10/10

Sendou

I'm one of those crazy people that loved all Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World. Yeah they're all different but whichever direction they choose with the Switch Mario it can't be wrong for me personally. Honestly even if 3D World was nothing but definitive version of 3D Land those games are still truly unique compared to anything else out there. So if you're not disappointed at them making Galaxy 2 after Galaxy 1 then there's even less reason to dislike 3D World in the sense that it's just "more of the same".

Kurt

I REALLY hope its a new Mario 64. Nintendo needs to give more freedom to its characters. We´ve been "on rails" all these WiiU years

Lets all remember that people were like "Wah wah i want a new Star Fox on rails!!!" and when we got that in Star Fox Zero everybody hated it (i know, i know, controls sucks too. But even without that bizarre set up that game still sucks). A new star fox should really be open world - i mean, open universe

I'm sure it's going to be a more open world design.
If you see that gif animations, both places are one place.
You can't ofcourse say anything for sure. But i'm almost certain about that.
That's why this game is also more heavy then 3Dworld. (also more reflections)

Waiting 2days+, i'm sure that we will see mario in a playable world.

Man... I just reached what I feel is "game complete" status in Mario Run. All stages beat, all coin sets collected, and my kingdom level is maxed out. I'm not sure I'll be motivated to "actively" work towards unlocking the final buildings, but I plan on playing a tiny bit each day.

Mario Run really makes me hope that Nintendo will rethink 2D Mario going forward. I don't want a full-fledged game on auto-run, but I really hope they don't ditch the whole vault/climb mechanic.

How long do you guys think it'll be before we get a proper 2D Mario on Switch? I know we don't have any info here so I'm just looking for educated guesses. Speaking of which... we haven't really heard anything about Mario Maker coming to Switch lately have we?

Sendou

Umm all consoles make it possible.

Possible but not as easy. Bringing a handheld over vs. bringing a full on console over. Local with Wii U was a bit pain the ass in that even the GamePad was massive.

How long do you guys think it'll be before we get a proper 2D Mario on Switch? I know we don't have any info here so I'm just looking for educated guesses.

Honestly those are the real ever green money printing games so can't be too long.

I love all styles of mario, and i really loved 3d land and 3d world. But just like i loved skyward, it's not exactly the direction i want to see them go with the franchise forever. I think that this game won't go full open hub or something like that. More likely a combination of galaxy and 64.

Also, miyamoto said that galaxy 3 is a possibility, they aren't exactly done with it.

Matbtz

Yes, and the new Mario game only has one main character to render at all times, not up to 16 (with doubling cherries). You can't compare them via screenshots so directly.

If you judge the visual quality of a game seen only 5 sec on a "TV" (edited in postprod) from a commercial, wow.

I want Mario to be on the same wavelength as Galaxy and Galaxy 2, fully utilising 3D space and unique gravity based platforming physics. It's 3D Mario at its absolute best as far as I'm concerned. But it won't happen. I think Nintendo is done with Galaxy as a series and after Galaxy 2, aka gold standard of all 3D platfomers ever, I can't blame them for wanting to try something new.

It doesn't look like 3D World which is great to me. I liked 3D World but that's just it; I liked it, not loved it. Its excessively rigid perspective and play space design felt like a massive step backwards from the 3D Mario identity no matter how fun it was, acting as a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario conventions.

I like Mario 64 too but I'm not overly big on the HUGE OPEN HUB IS BEST YOU GUYS philosophy some seem to cherish. I can see the appeal, but to me it's just wasted space, something Galaxy/Galaxy 2 did a far better job of pacing and balancing.

We'll see.
A huge hub wouldn't work well in the modern Mario games with the current way he controls because Mario lately has been designed to control best in tight and small environments with little room for gamers to play around with the controls to develop a unique play style. 3D World is made to emulate how 2D Mario feels, but in a 3D space, and Galaxy Mario is very stiff. People want a huge hub not only so they have the illusion of an open world, but because they wanna play as a more agile and athletic Mario

Mario in both 64 and Sunshine has a wide set of moves to play with that makes the simple act of controlling him fun. Modern Mario lacks that

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Umm all consoles make it possible.
Sure it's possible. Bring 4 consoles, and 4 TVs in a room - as easy as it sounds, right? I looked at your post history to see if you were joking, but no, you're not: giving credit to Nintendo is an impossible task for you.

Alrus

Looks like a Wii U game will be the new N64/PS1 graphics I guess.

We'll see.

I agree with this 100%.

HeySeuss

What really interests me in that Mario clip is those golden rings are offset from the platform. Is there a hidden platform below? Is there some rotating gravity switch? Is there a tanooki glider suit? What if it's a sonic crossover?

The weird placement makes really makes me wonder what is going on there.

What really interests me in that Mario clip is those golden rings are offset from the platform. Is there a hidden platform below? Is there some rotating gravity switch? Is there a tanooki glider suit? What if it's a sonic crossover?

You jump on the bullet bill and can ride him

I'm thinking that it's indication that more advanced acrobatics like the dive will return, hopefully :)

Man... The posts above have me thinking about how local multiplayer can really be where the Switch shines the brightest. Having everything you need to play 2-player co-op games just built in natively is absolutely fantastic. I really hope that both Nintendo and third parties capitilize on that aspect of the Switch above all else.

oti

Banned
Man... I'm just thinking about how local multiplayer can really be where the Switch shines the brightest. Having everything you need to play 2-player co-op games just built in natively is absolutely fantastic. I really hope that both Nintendo and third parties capitilize on that aspect of the Switch above all else.

I can't wait to play Splatoon with my cousin and some minigames with my god daughter. She always wants to play with us but the controllers are just too big for her small hands. The Joy-Con should be perfect. 😄

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Allora switch games will look as wiiu games then

The point is I fear another safe game from EAD Tokyo.

They don't make bad games, never have, never will.

As fun and varied as 3D World was, that's not them letting their creative cerebellums go wild.

It is too little to go by but it's not what I envisioned for the "new kind of Mario".

Of course I'm eagerly awaiting to see more.

Platforming levels in 3d world were probably the most creative in the series
For me the Platforming level design is the most important part in a Mario game

As dungeons and interactive environmental puzzles in Zelda

In fact I loved SS and I am a little bit scared by Botw

;p

Waji

How long do you guys think it'll be before we get a proper 2D Mario on Switch? I know we don't have any info here so I'm just looking for educated guesses. Speaking of which... we haven't really heard anything about Mario Maker coming to Switch lately have we?
You're talking about Mario 2D and Mario Maker...
Don't you think they need far more work than usual to release a new 2D mario since you can basically do anything with maker ? And even without MM on the Switch, there would still be comparison with WiiU/3ds MM if they released a 2D Switch Mario.

Mr Swine

Banned
Rösti;228001662 said:
Perhaps this has been posted earlier, but I noticed that Bergsala AB, Nintendo's agent in Scandinavia, will be holding a pre-launch event on February 04 in Kungsbacka, Sweden. It's open to the public, no invitation needed.

Source: https://www.nintendo.se/nyheter/294-nintendo-switch-pre-launch-event

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo.se

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Why couldn't that be in Stockholm instead? I don't want to travel 7 hours to try Switch for 30 minutes more or less :(

pislit

Will the switch still be viable without a TV? Or will I miss something. I'll probably have a TV by that time, but if if not, will I just be ok?

Do previous Nintendo consoles play well with monitors?

Neoxon

Will the switch still be viable without a TV? Or will I miss something. I'll probably have a TV by that time, but if if not, will I just be ok?

You should be fine with a monitor, & playing the Switch docked gives the system a higher clock speed (according to various leaks & patents).

Lom1lo

My main use will be Handheld Mode. I think we will miss nothing, thats the concept behind this thing

wwm0nkey

Yeah you will be fine. You don't even need a TV to use it either.

Platforming levels in 3d world were probably the most creative in the series
For me the Platforming level design is the most important part in a Mario game

As dungeons and interactive environmental puzzles in Zelda

In fact I loved SS and I am a little bit scared by Botw

;p

This fear has come up multiple times, but due to footage like this of later shrines I am not really worried. It will of course be more of a Portal experience 'now solve this room' with the shrines, but if we end up with 4 major dungeons like in Majora's Mask as was rumoured, I am totally ok with that.

Overwatch on the Switch is an absolute MUST! This is one of COD'S replacement games. Splatoon, Overwatch, Garden Warfare, Borderlands 3, Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 will be what replaces COD.

NINTENDO MUST GET OVERWATCH. Nintendo can have online only games. Nintendo must also get Roblox and Rocket League also. Also online only. It is a no brainer.

I wish we (including myself) would just stop commenting unless there is a legitimate leak and just wait now.

I'm frankly tired of talking about it. I'm tired of the prognostication. It comes down to this. In two days regardless of what we all think, Nintendo will make their case. We all know the uphill battle they have against them. But if anyone can pull it off, it is Nintendo. Has Nintendo finally learned? We will find out.

So let us all sit and enjoy the show. We can comment after they present their argument about why we should want to purchase the Switch.

fritzon

Neo Member
FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Why couldn't that be in Stockholm instead? I don't want to travel 7 hours to try Switch for 30 minutes more or less :(

But of course you do! I got invited to the media/retail event the day before it opens to the public and I can barely contain my excitement.

You're talking about Mario 2D and Mario Maker...
Don't you think they need far more work than usual to release a new 2D mario since you can basically do anything with maker ? And even without MM on the Switch, there would still be comparison with WiiU/3ds MM if they released a 2D Switch Mario.

I absolutely think that the next 2D Mario needs to reinvent the wheel. Mario Maker is like their "Greatest Hits" album for 2D Mario games. They have to give us something unique that changes the way we play and think about 2D Mario games now. As I said above, I want the vault/climb mechanic from Mario Run at the absolute minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom