• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

What kind of joy-con controllers do you hope to see?

Besides one with an actual dpad, I also want one with a great and fat grip.

EDarkness

What kind of joy-con controllers do you hope to see?

Besides one with an actual dpad, I also want one with a great and fat grip.

I'd like to see something that either allows the joycons to snap into a Wii remote-like housing so that they're larger. Or have a larger version of the joycons. It would be awesome to have one with a regular d-pad as well.

daakusedo

You may have heard there's a Switch press event in Paris jan 14th. I got an invite for it today, but I can't go :( It sucks so much to get that mail, see the date and realize it's the worst timing. I checked with Nintendo and there will be more events closer to launch, but I'm gutted to miss this one.

13th

GodGui

Neo Member
Thanks BDGAME for the question.

xApHqzO.png

What IOS/Android games can become good switch games?

Clash Royale

Matbtz

You may have heard there's a Switch press event in Paris jan 14th. I got an invite for it today, but I can't go :( It sucks so much to get that mail, see the date and realize it's the worst timing. I checked with Nintendo and there will be more events closer to launch, but I'm gutted to miss this one.

Arf... I can replace you if you want :p

What Iwata and the Nintendo board realized before Iwatas unfortunate death was that Nintendo's IP has been weakened through their own mistakes. Nintendo was so afraid to lend the likeness of their characters to anyone that they missed opportunities over the last decade to keep their IPs in pop culture.

Pokemon Go and Mario Run (and the other 2 mobile games they are making) is a way for Nintendo to keep their characters relevant in the mainstream so that if anyone wants to explore them further they can purchase into their hardware ecosystem. Nintendo didn't realize this until they started going downhill with the Wii U.

This is why you see the universal deal, Nintendo IP in third party games, and mobile game development. It is part of their plan to keep their IP relevant which they should have done from the very begging when they started to see huge dips in their hardware purchases.

Deserves quoting.

Nintendo's IPs are the among the strongest in the biz, but for the longest of times the company has treated them poorly in terms of mass market potential. That's changed now, and frankly it's somewhat exciting/frightening (from the perspective of someone who will now have to work harder to compete - but harder is good, hopefully I can become better for it).

Pokemon was just the start. Next year you're going to see Nintendo IPs explode in a way which will probably surprise a lot of people, and Switch will be the 'focal hub point' for it.

Watch what happens to the Mario franchise and awareness from Mario Run onwards...

Matbtz

Yeah sorry 13th, edited.

You'd have my blessing :p I'm pretty pissed tbh. When I got that mail I lit up like a christmas tree until I saw it was that friday.

Yeah I hear you, it has to be really infuriating :/ Hopefully the switch launch is pretty close now

Speely

Banned
Cant believe they showed Zelda being played on Wii U instead of Switch. Just....why?

Building power for the January haymaker. Seems like Nintendo wants to save literally as much as they can for the event, even if that means not showing the Switch version of a game that we have all seen footage of for years now.

Seems silly, but I will reserve judgement until I see what they have in store next month.

Holy shit it's already "next month!!!"

Peru

Cant believe they showed Zelda being played on Wii U instead of Switch. Just....why?

They've set a date - January 12th - and we know Nintendo don't tease out info before the official date. They've got an all or nothing sort of philosophy. This time it's been very clear, so no one should expect Switch content before that date.

Genio88

Perhaps cause they already said they won't share anything new about Switch until the January 12 event? I know, it doesn't really make much sense and in my opinion they could show something else about Switch already, though they said they won't, so why do you still expect them to show Switch footage before that event?

Debirudog

I didn't expect a switch showing at all and I don't think it really mattered in the long run. Zeruda is going to get a big showing anyway in January.

This has probably been asked a dozen times in the past, so I apologise, but will the Switch have motion controls?

I ask because, for some reason, my girlfriend and her parents, along with my parents, all love playing Mario Kart but seem incapable of using a proper control pad. They can only use the Wiimote with the wheel attached.

Without motion controls any new Mario Kart will instantly become a lot less fun for me.

Genio88

This has probably been asked a dozen times in the past, so I apologise, but will the Switch have motion controls?

I ask because, for some reason, my girlfriend and her parents, along with my parents, all love playing Mario Kart but seem incapable of using a proper control pad. They can only use the Wiimote with the wheel attached.

Without motion controls any new Mario Kart will instantly become a lot less fun for me.

Nothing official about that, but rumors are that both Joy-cons will have motion controls

Pasedo

Hi all. As all of you are aware it's an amazing feeling to finally get accepted as a Neogaf active member (it's taken about 2 years). To me this is a massive privilege as I have been following as a passive member for several years dreaming of this day to come. This is my first post and I am hoping to be able to contribute value to the discussions. In terms of this thread specifically I for one am I excited about the Nintendo Switch and will definitely get it day one. I believe where Tablets and tablet based gaming has failed to bring a full gaming experience to a true portable form factor, the Nintendo Switch will get it right and will create the next disruption in which other brands will follow suit. I love how Nintendo continue to take risks and to be bold and I wish them all the success in the world with their next platform.

Xun

Hi all. As all of you are aware it's an amazing feeling to finally get accepted as a Neogaf active member (it's taken about 2 years). To me this is a massive privilege as I have been following as a passive member for several years dreaming of this day to come. This is my first post and I am hoping to be able to contribute value to the discussions. In terms of this thread specifically I for one am I excited about the Nintendo Switch and will definitely get it day one. I believe where Tablets and tablet based gaming has failed to bring a full gaming experience to a true portable form factor, the Nintendo Switch will get it right and will create the next disruption in which other brands will follow suit. I love how Nintendo continue to take risks and to be bold and I wish them all the success in the world with their next platform.
2 years? Jesus.

Welcome aboard!

me0wish

Welcome to the family son.

Rodin

Good to see some positivity around here. Welcome mate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You may have heard there's a Switch press event in Paris jan 13th. I got an invite for it today, but I can't go :( It sucks so much to get that mail, see the date and realize it's the worst timing. I checked with Nintendo and there will be more events closer to launch, but I'm gutted to miss this one.

Could be worse. I had the rug pulled from beneath my feet.

CynZDsYWEAIbQxn.jpg:large

Shahadan

I just sold my Wii U for more than I bought it three years ago. I figured christmas was the right moment. If all goes well that's the Switch already paid for, yay.
Now I just hope they don't come up with something to transfer saves or game from a Wii U to a Switch because I'm going to regret it :lol:

marmoka

Banned
My uncle who works at Nintendo forgot to send my an invitation of the event.

He told me I don't deserve it, because even if I own a 3DS and a Wii U, I also own a PS4.

Why? Uncle? Why?

BDGAME

Thanks BDGAME for the question.

xApHqzO.png

What IOS/Android games can become good switch games?

Thanks again IntelliHeath.

For that question, I will believe in the leak that say that Switch will have motion, pointer and touch screen, so, some games can be well played on it.

Games like:

Infinity Blade
Asphalt
Pokémon Shuffle
Table Tennis Touch
Riptide GP2
Badland
Leo's Fortune
leos-fortune-is-the-most-beautiful-platform-adventure-game-weve-ever-seen.jpg

I think one of the reasons they showed the Wii U version of BotW last night instead of the Switch version is that they'll be showing off the Switch version in a month and want people to remember some of the issues the Wii U version has, so that they'll be much more likely to buy the new, Switch version.

That's not a crazy theory at all, right? Right??

Welcome! Glad to have another Switcher among us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom