• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
and this is when I feel like we here at GAF enter bizarro world.

And this is apparently where sphinx makes a lot of very weird assumptions:

.- why the hell would ANYONE (Devs, nintendo and us gamers) care for seriously donwgraded ports of anything in the first place? (not PS4->X1 but PS4->something worse)

First off, nobody is saying or assuming games will be seriously downgraded. Most games should be doable with minor downgrades like resolution to 720p, slightly fewer visual effects, slightly lower texture resolution, or maybe less AA. Games on the Wii were SERIOUSLY downgraded. Games on the Switch will be maybe barely noticeably downgraded. This based on the rumored specs.

.- why the hell are Take Two and Bethesda on board (to ANY capacity) when they despise weak hardware with a passion and have always disregarded nintendo'?

Who the hell says Take Two and Bethesda "despise weak hardware"?? They are both businesses- they will put their software on a platform regardless of the specs if they believe it is worth the initial cost (i.e. the resulting sales > the cost of porting). If the Switch is much easier than the Wii/Wii U to port to (and all reports say it is) then the actual power of the machine doesn't matter quite as much.

.- why the hell would the Nvidia guy even comment on something that is pure lies? I mean yeah he wants the thing to sell but there are many strong points to comment on to try to sell the product, did he need to go there? "Hey guys, ports are easy!! (but with serious compromises trollololol)"

What pure lies are you talking about? Power =/= ease of porting. That's nonsense. And again, nothing is indicated serious compromises. Are you aware that the XB1 frequently receives ports that have been downgraded relative to the PS4 versions? Are you aware that the PS2 was supported with an enormous amount of third party games despite the Gamecube being far superior in power?

.- Why the hell is that bullshit, baseless-speculation "leaked Switch dev kit?" thread still open?

Because for better or for worse it has turned into the de facto Switch tech speculation thread. And the specs in the OP should be at least similar to what's in the devkits, so it's a decent starting point for speculation.

.- Why would Ubisoft put BG&E 2 on Switch? if Nintendo paid for exclusivity, sorry to break it up to them, but it has less chances of success than Bayonetta for fucks sake.

Why do you think a game's graphics have any possible indication on how it will sell? That has literally never been the case for both games and hardware.

I feel like several sources are at odds and we at GAF are being misled or donwright trolled by someone.

I disagree. We've heard very little contradictory information here... the Switch can be lower in raw power than XB1 but still be very easy to port for with minor downgrades. Nothing about Nvidia's statements conflicts with anything else we've heard.

There's been something on my mind ever since the leaks came out earlier in the year that the Switch would be a hybrid console, though I rarely if ever see anyone talk about it:

Will Nintendo build a case for families to buy multiple Switch units?

For instance, when Pokémon and Animal Crossing inevitably come to the Switch won't people want to have their own system to play them on so you can interact at the same time with others... especially if this is meant to be taken on the go?

I know at the moment Nintendo's official word is that the 3DS is very much still a pillar in their strategy, however, we can only assume as time goes on that it will be put to pasture once games that are more sophisticated are developed for the way to Switch and won't have compatibility with 3DS. So while the rumored "Pokémon Stars" could still communicate with 3DS systems I would assume the next mainline Pokémon title would not. Meaning if you had siblings or a couple who wanted to each buy their own version of the game then battling and trading would be impossible with a single Switch system.

The same can be said about Animal Crossing since people visiting other people's town while both are simultaneously playing is a fun feature that I couldn't see them taking out.

So is the long tail plan for Nintendo for households to own multiple Switches? I'm all for it and I definitely see them doing this if they launch with an affordable price point. Maybe out of the gate they won't harp on the idea but as time goes I see it becoming the strategy in retiring the 3DS.

There's been something on my mind ever since the leaks came out earlier in the year that the Switch would be a hybrid console, though I rarely if ever see anyone talk about it:

For instance, when Pokémon and Animal Crossing inevitably come to the Switch won't people want to have their own system to play them on so you can interact at the same time with others... especially if this is meant to be taken on the go?

I know at the moment Nintendo's official word is that the 3DS is very much still a pillar in their strategy, however, we can only assume as time goes on that it will be put to pasture once games that are more sophisticated are developed for the way to Switch and won't have compatibility with 3DS. So while the rumored "Pokémon Stars" could still communicate with 3DS systems I would assume the next mainline Pokémon title would not. Meaning if you had siblings or a couple who wanted to each buy their own version of the game then battling and trading would be impossible with a single Switch system.

The same can be said about Animal Crossing since people visiting other people's town while both are simultaneously playing is a fun feature that I couldn't see them taking out.

So is the long tail plan for Nintendo for households to own multiple Switches? I'm all for it and I definitely see them doing this if they launch with an affordable price point. Maybe out of the gate they won't harp on the idea but as time goes I see it becoming the strategy in retiring the 3DS.

One thing that I think isn't being talked about enough is the promise of wireless LAN gaming. It's obviously a big feature of the 3DS (and I think DS too) but hasn't really been a thing for modern console games before. That would require multiple people to own a Switch in a household, like two siblings each owning a Switch to play LAN Mario Kart. Not that it's necessary for them to play multiplayer like that (they can just play splitscreen on the TV), but it could be seen as a big selling point- getting your own screen for traditional console multiplayer games played locally.

That said, this will all depend on a low introductory price. If it's priced between $199 and $250 then it will definitely be seen as something which multiple people in the same household might buy.

So what are the odds we see anything Switch related tomorrow evening (TGAs)?

I believe Geoff Keighley indicated that they'd have more from Nintendo than just a new look at BotW, but I can't really imagine NCL would want to let NoA show off more about the Switch before the Tokyo Big Sight presentation in January.

But if there's no Switch info what else would there be? Maybe just a short interview with Reggie about the Switch?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

I believe Geoff Keighley indicated that they'd have more from Nintendo than just a new look at BotW, but I can't really imagine NCL would want to let NoA show off more about the Switch before the Tokyo Big Sight presentation in January.

But if there's no Switch info what else would there be? Maybe just a short interview with Reggie about the Switch?
I suppose they could announce the exact time of the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 and how it will happen (live stream etc.). Such details would reach a large audience and would create some hype.

I'm honestly torn here. Their wording about the January event certainly seems to suggest that we'll get nothing on Switch until then. At most I would expect to see some details about how Zelda might run on Switch. Anything besides that would be a huge surprise for me.

I dunno, plans can change. Maybe it's nothing, maybe they feel like giving an extra tease before January.

Personally I don't think they'll bother considering we're just a few weeks away from the full reveal.

I'm expecting the word "Switch" to be said tomorrow at the Game Awards.

I wouldn't bet against that!

PC, PS4, & XB1

That's three platforms right there.

I think the "eventually more" is the slip-up.

I hope they announce a new Metroid game for Switch on TGA's.

That I'll put at 0% chance of happening sadly. Maybe in January though! I'd say 15% or so then.

I dunno, plans can change. Maybe it's nothing, maybe they feel like giving an extra tease before January.

Personally I don't think they'll bother considering we're just a few weeks away from the full reveal.

Yeah who knows... I would expect that they might tease that there is some info coming though beforehand in order to get more people watching.

ChaosXVI

I definitely am not expecting to see anything Switch related, but then again, I never expected the first Zelda gameplay to be revealed at The Game Awards 2 years ago. So, it's not impossible, but Zelda being there again is enough for me to be hyped.

This has to be part of the strategy because of how the initial proof of concept was presented. They had 2 or 3 instances of multiple people with their own personal switch playing locally with other people.

One curious thought is if you can use the handheld portion of the switch on other peoples docks without any additional setup? IE if I want to continue a game from my save file OR play a game I have digitally on my handheld but I want to play coop at a friends house.. can I simply go to my friends house and drop my switch on his dock and play with no additional setup?

Since everything is locked to the portable then I could bring my own pro controllers which are already paired to the system and just play with no additional setup. Do multiple joy cons pair to a switch portable as well (can my friend pair his with mine so we dont need to buy pro controllers)?

It is interesting concept because if you have multiple people in the same household you could easily move the system from dock to dock without issue.

Plum

This has to be part of the strategy because of how the initial proof of concept was presented. They had 2 or 3 instances of multiple people with their own personal switch playing locally with other people.

One curious thought is if you can use the handheld portion of the switch on other peoples docks without any additional setup? IE if I want to continue a game from my save file OR play a game I have digitally on my handheld but I want to play coop at a friends house.. can I simply go to my friends house and drop my switch on his dock and play with no additional setup?

Since everything is locked to the portable then I could bring my own pro controllers which are already paired to the system and just play with no additional setup. Do multiple joy cons pair to a switch portable as well (can my friend pair his with mine so we dont need to buy pro controllers)?

It is interesting concept because if you have multiple people in the same household you could easily move the system from dock to dock without issue.

I can't see why not; all of the significant components are in the handheld portion including storage (both in-build and via SD card). The dock is a glorified charging cradle really. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to create restrictions like that with the Switch, and they'd have to go out of their way to create it in the Switch.

maxcriden

From the most recently news release I found.

“Our numbers are actually going up, not down,” Psyonix vice president Jeremy Dunham tells me, “which is not very common for a game that’s ten months old.”

Over 15 million gamers have played Rocket League between July of last year and now, with over 5 million active players in April of this year alone.

I believe they have over 100k concurrent daily players if you count all platforms. The PC version is in the top 10 most concurrently played Steam games (With games like CS GO , Dota, and TF2)

That's exceptionally impressive! Thanks for the info.

Hermii

Yes, there are hours of battery life difference between fully intensive games and the less needy ones.

Then lets hope the 3 hour battery life leak was a worst case scenario, not that its not still bad. Could also be devkit running on non final hardware or a combination of the two.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Roo

Cross-platform play definitely would speak volumes about Nintendo being agressive and serious on third party support, including indies.

Has anyone seen this article yet?

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/30/13794304/ubisoft-nintendo-switch-nintendo-casual-hardcore-evolution

It's about how Ubisoft treats "new ways to play" and how they think with the Switch Nintendo is trying to appeal to casual adults and hardcore gamers, and interestingly leaving out the "kids" demographic, at least in their active messaging.

This is how it should be. Leave the kids out. Focus on the gamers and older audience because kids want what adults have. If kids see adults with the Switch then they'll want it since they want to be adults.

OryoN

This is how it should be. Leave the kids out. Focus on the gamers and older audience because kids want what adults have. If kids see adults with the Switch then they'll want it since they want to be adults.

Pretty much this. This ain't the 80's and 90's anymore. I have no idea why Nintendo insisted on targeting kids for so long when the market have been showing that young adults - and the games targeting them - is where the sales are at. Heck, their own blue-oceans strategy that got so many casuals(of all ages) on board should have taught them something. They built a niche(with the kids market) for themselves and in desperately trying to keep it intact, they've only managed to further cut themselves off form those potential sales. Kids have no expendable income, and will be drawn to whatever their older siblings and other adults are drawn to anyway, so it makes absolutely no sense to target them so ardently. Sure, games targeting kids are one thing, but once your marketing conveys your entire device - especially on its debut - as something more appropriate for kids, it's really difficult to shake that image down the line.

That said, this is why the Switch teaser surprised me the most. Their messaging was on point, and for the first time in a long time they've made a real effort it in directly targeting an older demographic - immediately out the gate! - with a new console. First impressions count, and if they can capitalize on this message with software and additional marketing, we could see Nintendo with significant gains in market share, and this time, with consumers that actually stick around!

MoonFrog

I am often once again struck by the potential of Switch to be exactly what I want and think the sort of console gaming I want needs, and then I want to write it all in a comment on NeoGAF yet again.

I'll spare you all this time :p.

I'm hoping for another Switch 'accident' during DQXI event, tbh. I doubt it. Switch has its own hype and the game is already announced as coming to Switch. But...the DQXI reveal 'mishap' was great for putting Switch on the map imo, and I want Nintendo to signal Japan that they want this device as much as possible.

I am often once again struck by the potential of Switch to be exactly what I want and think the sort of console gaming I want needs, and then I want to write it all in a comment on NeoGAF yet again.

I'll spare you all this time :p.

I'm hoping for another Switch 'accident' during DQXI event, tbh. I doubt it. Switch has its own hype and the game is already announced as coming to Switch. But...the DQXI reveal 'mishap' was great for putting Switch on the map imo, and I want Nintendo to signal Japan that they want this device as much as possible.

My jaw was dropped during the DQXI reveal event when the host randomly took out a paper and announced DQXI is coming to NX. Fun times.

I'm surprised that more people weren't/aren't excited about that.

Maybe people are hyping for TGA first. After all, we are getting news about Zelda. Although I want to commit to a media blackout, I don't know if I can hold myself from watching the TGA. On the other hand, I am really excited towards DQXI. Can't wait to find out more.

OrochiJR

So I take it the countdown on the OP post ends at the start of the direct/ conference or whatever it will be. For EU folks that is like 3:30am in the morning. o_O Which means I will have to take the 13th off from work instead of the 12th and more importantly for everyone we should consider a spoiler-free thread with links like at E3 for the people who can't watch live.

Roo

So I take it the countdown on the OP post ends at the start of the direct/ conference or whatever it will be. For EU folks that is like 3:30am in the morning. o_O Which means I will have to take the 13th off from work instead of the 12th and more importantly for everyone we should consider a spoiler-free thread with links like at E3 for the people who can't watch live.
Nintendo has not announced the exact time of the presentation yet
The countdown on the OP finishes when it gets to January 12th EST, nothing else.

As for what day you will take off, it was always implied the presentation would take place in January 13th for Europe and Japan.

So... general question here that I didn't think warranted its own thread. How many of you on here plan on buying a Switch on day one?

More importantly, if you already own an Xbone/PS4/PC, would having big third party games that you can take anywhere convince you to make Switch your primary platform? If games like FFXV need a graphical downgrade to run on Switch, would that make much of a difference to you?

For me, I'm finding that I want to wait on third party games just in case they come to Switch. I have a 55" TV in the living room, and an older 32" upstairs in the bedroom. There are plenty of nights where I want to play a game like Skyrim or Dishonored 2, but I can't bring myself to hang out downstairs for hours. It would also be a huge pain to bring consoles between the living room and the bedroom on a regular basis, so right now I just play my 3DS.

Because of this, I find myself wishing that games like FFXV, Skyrim, and Dishonored 2 will be confirmed for Switch. Even a decent graphical downgrade won't deter me from being able to play those games all over the house with ease. Either the Switch would be a perfect fit for the way I play, or I've convinced myself that I have a need that only the Switch can fill.

Thoughts?

Im buying my Switch day 1 because I love Nintendos games. I don't really care for 3rd party much, but I loved
Skyrim so I will be buying it on the Switch.

If any Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy games come to Switch I will buy them.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
So... general question here that I didn't think warranted its own thread. How many of you on here plan on buying a Switch on day one?

More importantly, if you already own an Xbone/PS4/PC, would having big third party games that you can take anywhere convince you to make Switch your primary platform? If games like FFXV need a graphical downgrade to run on Switch, would that make much of a difference to you?

For me, I'm finding that I want to wait on third party games just in case they come to Switch. I have a 55" TV in the living room, and an older 32" upstairs in the bedroom. There are plenty of nights where I want to play a game like Skyrim or Dishonored 2, but I can't bring myself to hang out downstairs for hours. It would also be a huge pain to bring consoles between the living room and the bedroom on a regular basis, so right now I just play my 3DS.

Because of this, I find myself wishing that games like FFXV, Skyrim, and Dishonored 2 will be confirmed for Switch. Even a decent graphical downgrade won't deter me from being able to play those games all over the house with ease. Either the Switch would be a perfect fit for the way I play, or I've convinced myself that I have a need that only the Switch can fill.

Thoughts?

I'll be getting it Day 1 (hopefully).

I currently have an XB1/PC. If the Switch gets a lot of third party games it would be great but wouldn't make me regret my purchase if there were none. I only really want the Switch to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon. Honestly, I don't care much for portability. All I'm gonna do is use it around the house. On the the odd occasion I might take it with me somewhere if I know I'll have the downtime to play and help to pass the time. I'm not gonna be taking it out every day. So it comes down to graphics/performance for me and not portability. In that case I'd buy the game on my XB1/PC.

Peléo

Thoughts?

As a student who doesn't own a TV, being able to play any game in my room is a huge selling point. Will be there day one.

Trevelyan

Banned

Thoughts?

I'm super excited for the Switch and it's the type of thing that will fit into my lifestyle perfectly. I work from home full time with my wife and 2 month old. Have an office set up with a TV and sound system and then the actual living room, so being able to take the Switch from TV to TV, or just lie in bed with it with my son is heavenly. I'll still play the occasional PS4 exclusive, but I'll be perfectly content living off a diet of a steady stream of Nintendo-made content.

Mexen

I enjoy JRPGs on Nintendo handhelds and that is the primary reason I am considering the Switch.

What rumoured titles are there? Anything confirmed?

random25

Thoughts?

There was only one console I bought day 1. And that was the OG PS3. That was traumatizing that I never bought a console day 1 ever since.

But now I can see myself buying the Switch day 1, as long as it does not go above $300. If 3D Mario on Switch on launch is true, then it's worth getting it that early IMO.

Thoughts?

I'm planning on getting it day one (it would be nice to know if Amazon does launch day delivery for consoles) and I have a PC right now for any of the multiplats I'm interested in. However, I would 100% buy all those multiplats on the Switch as long as they have a somewhat decent framerate. I couldn't care less about subtle differences in HD graphics, though I will say I'm much more excited to play Pokemon in HD than on the 3DS. But the portability aspect (mainly for playing while my wife watches TV or in bed) will make this my main platform for sure.

I enjoy JRPGs on Nintendo handhelds and that is the primary reason I am considering the Switch.

DQX (likely just in Japan) and DQXI are confirmed. FFVII and FFVI remakes have been rumored, but who knows. FFXV has also been rumored but seems quite doubtful due to the complexity of that game engine.

Kimawolf

I'm planning on getting it day one (it would be nice to know if Amazon does launch day delivery for consoles) and I have a PC right now for any of the multiplats I'm interested in. However, I would 100% buy all those multiplats on the Switch as long as they have a somewhat decent framerate. I couldn't care less about subtle differences in HD graphics, though I will say I'm much more excited to play Pokemon in HD than on the 3DS. But the portability aspect (mainly for playing while my wife watches TV or in bed) will make this my main platform for sure.

DQX (likely just in Japan) and DQXI are confirmed. FFVII and FFVI remakes have been rumored, but who knows. FFXV has also been rumored but seems quite doubtful due to the complexity of that game engine.
Think we will see FFVI before 15 tbh.

Griss

I will be buying a switch day 1. It's everything I wanted out of the next Nintendo handheld, I couldn't be happier. Exact opposite feeling I had with the Wii U. (Which I ended up loving to bits, but I waited for a year to buy one due to my disappointment with it.) I'm actually still shocked what a leap from the 3DS it is. And yes, I see it as a handheld. I still play my 3DS all the time but the screen resolution frustrates the shit out of me. The Switch, by comparison, just seems perfect. Perfect screen size, resolution, price, industrial design... I love it.

As for 3rd parties, if a game runs better on PS4 that's where I'll buy it, most likely. I only get Nintendo games and 3rd party exclusives on Nintendo platforms. The one exception would be Pro Evo, because that could be very cool to have on the go, but I'm not really expecting Konami to bring it over.

Where are you getting that from? FF VI, FFVII and XV rumored for Switch? That just seems like wishful thinking at this point.

If I remember correctly it was one of those French rumors which seem pretty hit or miss. The FFVII remake has been stated to be "first" on PS4, so that wouldn't surprise me all that much. A FFVI remake would be out of nowhere but apparently it's been rumored.

I don't believe those rumors at all, just passing on what has been rumored.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has been rumored for the Switch, Pokémon Stars (3rd version of Sun/Moon) and Mario X Rabbids RPG are rumored for Switch also.

I forgot DQX and DQXI are confirmed for it.

I'm planning on getting it day one (it would be nice to know if Amazon does launch day delivery for consoles) and I have a PC right now for any of the multiplats I'm interested in.

Do you live in the US? If so, I was able to get both the PS4 and Xbox One on launch day by ordering through them. The only weird variable I've seen is how reliable UPS and FedEx are in your area. I generally ship high value stuff to my job and enjoy the benefits of early delivery from carriers who cater to businesses first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom