• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the last 15 years have been a continous drama for third party games

I was actually pretty happy with N64, GCN, and Wii third party support. It wasn't amazing, but I was satisfied overall.

I've always owned multiple platforms, but this generation is the first time Nintendo has taken a backseat in my gaming life. It sucks and I hope the combined efforts of all first party developers makes Switch a great platform, despite limited third party efforts.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was actually pretty happy with N64, GCN, and Wii third party support. It wasn't amazing, but I was satisfied overall.

I've always owned multiple platforms, but this generation is the first time Nintendo has taken a backseat in my gaming life. It sucks and I hope the combined efforts of all first party developers makes Switch a great platform, despite limited third party efforts.

I was happy on GC and Wii with third parties
Not with N64 nor Wiiu
But in general sounds silly looking at. .. everything we have ever seen to expect normal / multiplatform third party games being announced for a Nintendo console

Especially from western focused dev / events / brands / ps environment

Especially for a Nintendo portable (also) form factor

Jerm411

Watching that PSX keynote was awesome but throughout there was a little voice in the back of my head saying.....is it January yet??

DMONKUMA

Watching that PSX keynote was awesome but throughout there was a little voice in the back of my head saying.....is it January yet??

I kinda hope Nintendo does something similiar to what Sony did for PSX and E3 this year. Basically minimal talking and just showcasing games back to back would be generally good. In that format you can cram a lot of annoucments in as shown through psx.

Plum

I kinda hope Nintendo does something similiar to what Sony did for PSX and E3 this year. Basically minimal talking and just showcasing games back to back would be generally good. In that format you can cram a lot of annoucments in as shown through psx.

Remember that it's a Switch event, not a games event. There will be a lot of time dedicated to the hardware, don't expect as much software as PSX or E3.

Shame Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite probably isn't coming to Switch.

Link and Samus would of been cool console exclusive guest characters for it.

LordKano

Remember that it's a Switch event, not a games event. There will be a lot of time dedicated to the hardware, don't expect as much software as PSX or E3.

Oh I'm pretty sure there will be at least as much content as today. It will be a huge event no doubt.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What? Isn't Nintendo's philosophy that games are the ones that sell the hardware? Less games than PSX would be pretty sad for a launch event. This is not only about hardware but also about the future support of it, launch line-up, launch period software and long time vision.

DMONKUMA

I mean they could do both and have a bit more focus on the games. Also is this conference longer than Sony's E3 and PSX conference? Since both of those were 1h 30 min and 1 hr respectively I just wanna know.

They could something like that for E3 I guess.

Plum

Oh I'm pretty sure there will be at least as much content as today. It will be a huge event no doubt.

What? Isn't Nintendo's philosophy that games are the ones that sell the hardware? Less games than PSX would be pretty sad for a launch event. This not only about hardware but also about the future support of it, launch line-up, launch period software and long time vision.

I'm as excited as anyone else here but I just feel like keeping expectations in check is a good idea. Nintendo still has E3 only a few months afterwards and the Switch would be out/3DS would be heading out by then, I'd expect a lot of big late-2017/2018 announcements to be held back for then with the January event focusing on Mario, Zelda, the Wii U enhanced ports, one or two new surprises and third party games.

Don't expect the Switch event to be all about games.

They have to reveal UI, OS and features for the hardware. It will be a lot of hardware talk and games. It won't be game after game from beginning to end.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm as excited as anyone else here but I just feel like keeping expectations in check is a good idea. Nintendo still has E3 only a few months afterwards and the Switch would be out/3DS would be heading out by then, I'd expect a lot of big late-2017/2018 announcements to be held back for then.

Is E3 more important than Switch? Doesn't Nintendo have enough games in development (considering Wii U being dead since E3 2015) to show for both events?

Peru

Launch lineups are never really packed. And I expect the January event wll be focused on launch window. More long term stuff can be shown at E3.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Alright, I'm waiting on buying a couple games just in case they get Switch versions:

-Dark Souls 3 DLC (I might wait until a complete edition comes anyway)

-DOOM

What does everyone think are the odds that either will show up on the Switch? And should I wait to get DOOM at least until seeing what they have at the January event?

If the switch can't do them both at 60fps i wouldnt bother with it. Playing those two games at 30fps is a horrible experience.

Plum

Is E3 more important than Switch? Doesn't Nintendo have enough games in development (considering Wii U being dead since E3 2015) to show for both events?

They're both equally important I think. The January event is about Nintendo making the Switch's hardware an attractive proposition and showing off early support, and then E3 should be about assuring people that the Switch will get support after the launch window. I just don't think people should expect all of Nintendo's heavy-hitting surprises to be in January (unless they're launch games of course).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Launch lineups are never really packed. And I expect the January event wll be focused on launch window. More long term stuff can be shown at E3.

What's the launch window?

They're both equally important I think. The January event is about Nintendo making the Switch's hardware an attractive proposition and showing off early support, and then E3 should be about assuring people that the Switch will get support after the launch window. I just don't think people should expect all of Nintendo's heavy-hitting surprises to be in January (unless they're launch games of course).

So a E3 2012 practically?

They have a lot of ports to show apparently which isn't good news. People will rag on Nintendo if they show so many Wii U ports.

Peru

Correct, it's a hardware event with a launch window focus, people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think they're getting the long term software picture.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Correct, it's a hardware event with a launch window focus, people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think they're getting the long term software picture.

I hope Nintendo knows better than that, really. Even E3 2012 sounds more fun than what you describe.

And Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy. There's been NO sign of the word "exclusive" in the slightest. Plus it's Vicarious and Activision. Vicarious made a whole line of Nintendo-exclusive Crash games on the GBA.

I really, really hope this happens. I wouldn't buy a PS4 for the few games I want but Crash is probably the one I want most. I would buy it day one on Switch.

If BG&E2 is a thing (which I believe it is), then it will be shown and that's a 2018 game the earliest.

There's no way Nintendo only shows launch window games. They know the stakes and I believe Kimishima will show this whole year and atleast a game or two next year.

I'm not saying he's doing full reveals at the event, but they can do a teaser or a small trailer for Retros game with a full reveal at E3 kind of thing.

Plum

What's the launch window?

It's generally the first 6 months or so after a console is released. So for the PS4 and X1 it was Christmas 2013 to Spring 2014.

So a E3 2012 practically?

Which one? If the January Event then it'll be more like Sony and Microsoft's 2013 E3s. If E3 itself then it will be like their 2014 E3s or, to put a Nintendo spin on it, the January 2013 Nintendo Direct. The Switch being out at that point means that they don't have to say anything more about hardware at next year's E3 which is a really good thing for them I think.

I hope Nintendo knows better than that, really. Even E3 2012 sounds more fun than what you describe.

What would they show at E3 if they blew all of their big announcements in January?

kunonabi

That's the assumption, and rationalization for Nintendo taking this year off, but the vast majority of stuff rumored so far is ports.

This would be a horrible strategy. It killed Wii U's momentum. Nintendo needs to show most, if not all, of their 2017 lineup and they need to tease 2018 content as well.

Save a couple announcements for E3 but go nuts with reveals in January.

Plum

This would be a horrible strategy. It killed Wii U's momentum. Nintendo needs to show most, if not all, of their 2017 lineup and they need to tease 2018 content as well.

The almost two years in between E3 2011's initial reveal and the Christmas 2012 release was what killed the Wii U's momentum, not the hardware-focused event a few months before its release.

Peléo

Don't worry Nintendo-fighting-game enthusiasts, we will get Nintendo Vs Capcom soon. Melee HD is also coming. And Pokken 2. And Fire Emblem X Soul Calibur.

Still, I think there might be a chance Marvel x Capcom: Infinity will be announced in the future for the Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's the assumption, and rationalization for Nintendo taking this year off, but the vast majority of stuff rumored so far is ports.

And that's why would be so important for Nintendo to show or tease a lot of new games. Because first 6 months would be new 3d Mario, Rabbids Mario RPG and a bunch of Wii U games. Even if you add Pokemon Stars, that's still a "port" more or less.

Nope. Before E3 2012 there was still a lot of good will and not too much negativity. E3 2012 and post E3 2012 up until launch killed it. Because of very few games shown. And practically announcing the drought to come. Which you say should be happening also now.

The almost two years in between E3 2011's initial reveal and the Christmas 2012 release was what killed the Wii U's momentum, not the hardware-focused event a few months before its release.

I'm talking specifically about software, not the September 2012 event (which was the third public showing for Wii U). Nintendo showed almost nothing pre-launch. It was a joke. To be fair though, part of that was due to Nintendo having nothing ready, which itself was pathetic.

But yes, there were about a million big and little things that ended up killing Wii U early.

Nintendo shouldn't put a priority to E3 next year. Save 2 or 3 new surprises for it and that's it. Everything else should be mentioned atleast at the January event.

Yup.

Nintendo shouldn't put a priority to E3 next year. Save 2 or 3 new surprises for it and that's it. Everything else should be mentioned atleast at the January event.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This. In theory there should be enough games coming in Q1 and Q2 2018 (before the next E3) to show some in January and some at E3 2017.

Plum

Nope. Before E3 2012 there was still a lot of good will and not too much negativity. E3 2012 and post E3 2012 up until launch killed it. Because of very few games shown. And practically announcing the drought to come. Which you say should be happening also now.

I'm talking specifically about software, not the September 2012 event (which was the third public showing for Wii U). Nintendo showed almost nothing pre-launch. It was a joke. To be fair though, part of that was due to Nintendo having nothing ready, which itself was pathetic.

I just don't think that Nintendo blowing their entire load in January is a good idea; if it's not a 2017 game they shouldn't show it.

People also seem to be heavily downplaying that the Switch will have a new Mario, a new Zelda and a semi-new Mario Kart in its launch window, games we can all expect to see in January. Those are BIG games yet because two were on Wii U and we've already seen Mario they're being either deliberately or unconsciously made out to be "meh" announcements. A lot of this fear of the January event being another E3 2012 stems from this I think.

I just don't think that Nintendo blowing their entire load in January is a good idea; if it's not a 2017 game they shouldn't show it.

They don't need to show all or even most of their 2018 lineup. Just a few teases, especially if it's something big, like Metroid
yeah I wish

Plum

They don't need to show all or even most of their 2018 lineup. Just a few teases, especially if it's something big, like Metroid
yeah I wish

You've got to think in the long term. Nintendo is nowhere near an E3 2012 situation even if literally all we saw at the January Event was stuff we already know about. Revealing Q3/4 2018 and 2019 games in January would just put them in the exact same situation as with the January 2013 Nintendo Direct, a short-term boost that took a lot of long-term hype away from the console because so many of the Wii U's games came from that Direct.

MoonFrog

yeah I wish

I always believe. I know I shouldn't. But I do. It'll be a miracle when the next good Metroid happens. I have no reason to think it is coming. But I do.

Then Metroid is shown and I spend the next year or so fretting about why it may not be the Metroid we know and love, hopefully to have my fears unsubstantiated by the content we end up receiving.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What? Isn't Nintendo's philosophy that games are the ones that sell the hardware? Less games than PSX would be pretty sad for a launch event. This is not only about hardware but also about the future support of it, launch line-up, launch period software and long time vision.

Wiiu E3 and September event probably had a similar amount of today PSX event I think

I feel after watching psx experience that hopefully this is what nintendo hopefully will be doing as my name suggests bring back those classics Nintendo!

Wave racer f-zero diddy racing luigis mansion pilot wings etc etc .

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You've got to think in the long term. Nintendo is nowhere near an E3 2012 situation even if literally all we saw at the January Event was stuff we already know about. Revealing Q3/4 2018 and 2019 games in January would just put them in the exact same situation as with the January 2013 Nintendo Direct, a short-term boost that took a lot of long-term hype away from the console because so many of the Wii U's games came from that Direct.

January 2013 was an emergency reaction to Wii U diving into death immediately post launch. Because there were no 1st party games comming post launch except for Pikmin 3. January 2013 Direct didn't tool the long term hype away. Wii U dying day by day did that. You have this terrible mixed up if you think the January 2013 Direct did something bad.

Edit: January 2013 event was trying to repair the mistake of E3 2012 and after. I really hope Nintendo won't need to do any emergency repairs post Switch launch. Because a failed launch is very difficult to turn around. That's why January event is much more important than E3 next year.

Astral Dog

PSX was a good event, but it really had no effect in wgatever hype i hace for Switch
I feel after watching psx experience that hopefully this is what nintendo hopefully will be doing as my name suggests bring back those classics Nintendo!

Wave racer f-zero diddy racing luigis mansion pilot wings etc etc .
Like for example these old, ourdated franchises dont need to come back

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://nintendoeverything.com/thq-nordic-working-on-two-projects-for-switch/

Also, I've noticed this from The Walking Dead announcement post on Telltale's blog

https://telltale.com/news/2016/12/e...s---a-new-frontier-epic-two-episode-premiere/

The first TWO of five episodes in The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier will premiere digitally worldwide starting Tuesday December 20th on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android-based devices. We expect to have info on release dates for additional platforms in the near future too.

J@hranimo

Banned
Near future is January. Boom.

PSX was pretty exciting and somehow got me even more hype for the Switch event. 2017 is going to be a great year for gaming.

EDarkness

If third parties don't (can't) announce their games for the NS after the January event, then it should be telling as to where the system will stand overall. The floodgates should open after the event, so games that have been announced by third parties for other systems should be able to be announced for the NS if those games are coming.

I think Nintendo wants to control the message when it's fully revealed, but after that developers can do what they want as far as announcements. Unless they have some special deal with Nintendo.

Let's hope this isn't another Wii U situation where NS versions weren't announced because they're not coming at all. Right now, I don't think that's the case since even games we've seen haven't officially been announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom