• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So... general question here that I didn't think warranted its own thread. How many of you on here plan on buying a Switch on day one?

More importantly, if you already own an Xbone/PS4/PC, would having big third party games that you can take anywhere convince you to make Switch your primary platform? If games like FFXV need a graphical downgrade to run on Switch, would that make much of a difference to you?

For me, I'm finding that I want to wait on third party games just in case they come to Switch. I have a 55" TV in the living room, and an older 32" upstairs in the bedroom. There are plenty of nights where I want to play a game like Skyrim or Dishonored 2, but I can't bring myself to hang out downstairs for hours. It would also be a huge pain to bring consoles between the living room and the bedroom on a regular basis, so right now I just play my 3DS.

I'll likely get at launch if it's $250-300 since I have around $200 in credit at Gamestop from trading in my portables a while back. I'm more on the fence since it seems Zelda isn't coming at launch. A 3D Mario is much less appealing to me.

I don't care in the slightest about the portability. I ditched my portables because I never played them. I have no need for gaming outside the house, and no interest in gaming on a small screen at home as I have a mancave with a 55" TV I can game on anytime I want, and we have another 55" TV in the media room where my fiancé watches her shows and we watch stuff together (not having kids).

So it will definitely be my third platform behind PC as my main and PS4. It will just be for the few Nintendo games I love to death and the rare third party exclusive that's not too niche Japanese for my tastes.

Do you live in the US? If so, I was able to get both the PS4 and Xbox One on launch day by ordering through them. The only weird variable I've seen is how reliable UPS and FedEx are in your area. I generally ship high value stuff to my job and enjoy the benefits of early delivery from carriers who cater to businesses first.

Ah good to know! And yeah, I'm in the US and typically have had very good luck with Amazon launch day shipments from any carrier.

The only variable now is will Amazon actually offer Switches at launch. I believe Amazon didn't have Wii U's or 3DS's at launch because of some issue with Nintendo, but I would assume that has been fixed.

MomoQca

I enjoy JRPGs on Nintendo handhelds and that is the primary reason I am considering the Switch.

What rumoured titles are there? Anything confirmed?

Rumored:
-Pokemon Stars (apparent "third" version of -Sun/Moon
-Mario/Rabbids RPG by Ubisoft
-Xenoblade Chronicles X port
-New project by Monolith Soft. Supposedly as ambitious as Xenoblade Chronicles X. Potentially a sequel.

Javier

I'm getting Switch Day 1 since the launch line up is looking very attractive and the console itself, with the Console/Handheld system it uses, is right up my alley.

I enjoy JRPGs on Nintendo handhelds and that is the primary reason I am considering the Switch.

What rumoured titles are there? Anything confirmed?
In addition to the ones mentioned above by Dark Cloud, Koei Tecmo confirmed they're making Nobunaga's Ambition for Switch.

Ah good to know! And yeah, I'm in the US and typically have had very good luck with Amazon launch day shipments from any carrier.

The only variable now is will Amazon actually offer Switches at launch. I believe Amazon didn't have Wii U's or 3DS's at launch because of some issue with Nintendo, but I would assume that has been fixed.

I'm really hoping that they have those issues sorted out! Interestingly enough, Amazon does not currently seem to offer the Wii-U directly. As for 3DS, they only seem to sell their special edition Super Mario World bundle.

So... I guess it's hard to tell really, but I have my hopes up! I plan to pre-order a Switch via Amazon as a back-up, but I'll do my primary pre-order at Gamestop. I just wouldn't be able to focus at work on launch day if I was waiting for that shipment from Amazon!

I'm getting Switch Day 1 since the launch line up is looking very attractive and the console itself, with the Console/Handheld system it uses, is right up my alley.

In addition to the ones mentioned above by Dark Cloud, Koei Tecmo confirmed they're making Nobunaga's Ambition for Switch.

Hopefully come January they are going to announce a good blend of games that we dont know about. When the Wii U was released the first year of the console was essentially all platforming... there wasnt a good range of different genres.

I hope they dont think that they can just release enhanced ports of every single popular first party game from the Wii U to bide their time until other games come out.. Better have a killer title we dont know about at launch.

Hopefully come January they are going to announce a good blend of games that we dont know about. When the Wii U was released the first year of the console was essentially all platforming... there wasnt a good range of different genres.

I hope they dont think that they can just release enhanced ports of every single popular first party game from the Wii U to bide their time until other games come out.. Better have a killer title we dont know about at launch.

I personally think that Skyrim, Mario, and Splatoon on day one are "killer" titles that make for a diverse day one for Switch. If you were Nintendo and could pick any "new" game you want to round out the launch day lineup, what would it be?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I personally think that Skyrim, Mario, and Splatoon on day one are "killer" titles that make for a diverse day one for Switch. If you were Nintendo and could pick any "new" game you want to round out the launch day lineup, what would it be?

Some new IP with appeal to western young adults.

Most of those have little interest in Mario (or they would be Nintendo fans given the plethora of Mario games over the years) and probably played Skyrim or are playing the SE version on another more powerful platform (few in the west give a shit about portability outside of hardcore gamers on sites like this). Splatoon could have some appeal there to non-Wii U owners I guess, but the art style probably stupidly turns a lot of people off.

Honestly, having Zelda ready for launch would have been ideal. Nice art style, seems more westernized gameplay wise compared to past entries etc.

Most of those have little interest in Mario (or they would be Nintendo fans given the plethora of Mario games over the years) and probably played Skyrim or are playing the SE version on another more powerful platform (few in the west give a shit about portability outside of hardcore gamers on sites like this). Splatoon could have some appeal there to non-Wii U owners I guess, but the art style probably stupidly turns a lot of people off.

Honestly, having Zelda ready for launch would have been ideal. Nice art style, seems more westernized gameplay wise compared to past entries etc.

I think instead of asking Nintendo to make "western style" games they need to be doing more partnerships with western studios with their IP. Something like a Bethesda open world first person Metroid, for example, would get enormous attention from typically western audiences.

Either that or Retro's StarTropics in the vein of Tomb Raider/Uncharted.

Mike Jones will return. Never give up hope!

Retrobox

Well then, leave it to Super Mario Run to change that.

Day 1 for me too if possible. Never bought a thing day 1 before, usually I wait that all the bugs etc. are patched out, be it games or consoles.

But this is something I've waited for a long time. Laptops are annoying to carry around, I don't like mobile games unless they are really simple and suited for short bursts (puzzle games etc.), consoles are hard to bring with me (Wii U was ok-ish to carry around because of the own screen)...

We visit quite often my mother-in-law, spending even a week there so I desperately need something to do. Reading carries only so far, e-books cost a lot and real books add weight to carriage. Especially now when my wife's brothers have moved out I cannot even play on their PC.

And to be able to play if I have downtime in school, or using public transport...

I am really excited and I trust Nintendo, their consoles have never let me down. I am not a graphics whore (besides, I have a PC for that kind of things) and their consoles always have some neat feature that I really like. Wii had superb control mechanic, Wii U has a nifty tablet (nowadays it is our Netflix machine, so easy to just start watching, have that stupid Google dongle too but that never works properly).

Splatoon and Skyrim will both be ports of games that previous systems have already had. Why would someone buy an old game at full price like Skyrim for the Switch if it will have already been remastered and released on the ps4 / x1 prior?

Nintendo seems to think including enhanced ports of previous Wii U games and ports of previously released ps4 / x1 games is a good use of filler at launch.. Isnt this exactly what got the Wii U into trouble? They are going to charge full price again for games people have already played.The only difference this go around is that Mario is coming sooner and Zelda will be released shortly? Lets just hope that is the magic medicine for sales this time around.

I do understand that we dont know anything about other possible titles. I am just going off of what has been reported / leaked on its launch lineup.

Splatoon and Skyrim will both be ports of games that previous systems have already had. Why would someone buy an old game at full price like Skyrim for the Switch if it will have already been remastered and released on the ps4 / x1 prior?

Nintendo seems to think including enhanced ports of previous Wii U games and ports of previously released ps4 / x1 games is a good use of filler at launch.. Isnt this exactly what got the Wii U into trouble? They are going to charge full price again for games people have already played.The only difference this go around is that Mario is coming sooner and Zelda will be released shortly? Lets just hope that is the magic medicine for sales this time around.

I do understand that we dont know anything about other possible titles. I am just going off of what has been reported / leaked on its launch lineup.

One of the things about any console launch is that you'll almost always have a large number of ports to fill out the launch lineup, since it's very hard to time game development to coincide with console launches. Look at the PS4 and XB1- those launches were also full of ports. There's nothing that can be done about that.

And anyway I am totally buying Skyrim at full price (again) just for the portability, not to mention the possibility of Nintendo themed content.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Well then, leave it to Super Mario Run to change that.

I doubt that will have any impact. I don't think many mobile gamers will run and buy consoles and mobile games are good enough for them.

It also remains to be seen how well it sells to the mobile crowd as $10 is a lot of money in a market dominated by F2P games. It will sell well, but how much is to Nintendo/Mario fans, and how much to the average mobile game player? That will be the key question.

Interfectum

I doubt that will have any impact. I don't think many mobile gamers will run and buy consoles and mobile games are good enough for them.

It also remains to be seen how well it sells to the mobile crowd as $10 is a lot of money in a market dominated by F2P games. It will sell well, but how much is to Nintendo/Mario fans, and how much to the average mobile game player? That will be the key question.

Pokemon Go already proved a hit mobile game can have an impact on the series elsewhere.

I think Splatoon Switch is a sequel.

Who else thinks so?

I think that, Mario Kart and Smash are sequels in the sense that they will be the only versions on the first iteration of the Switch. But they'll likely have the entire base Wii U games with a load of new content added on.

So, like a sequel plus the previous version.

Edit:

I'm not convinced of that yet. Pokemon games always sell gangbusters, and 3DS at $99 would have sold great regardless, so there's just no way to tell yet.

Pokemon Go was also F2P which helped it catch on. At $10, Super Mario Run is unlikely to get so widespread as even if it gets positive buzz a lot of non/casual gamers will balk at spending $10 on a game for their phone since they're used to F2P and $1-3 games.

Mario Run is free to start actually, which will definitely help it influence people like Pokemon GO did. Which, I guess isn't 100% provable, but it would be very hard to say it did nothing. I mean, right after it released we saw major upticks in 3DS hardware, X/Y, and OR/AS sales in a typically quiet summer season.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon Go already proved a hit mobile game can have an impact on the series elsewhere.

I'm not convinced of that yet. Pokemon games always sell gangbusters, and 3DS at $99 would have sold great regardless, so there's just no way to tell yet.

Pokemon Go was also F2P which helped it catch on. At $10, Super Mario Run is unlikely to get so widespread as even if it gets positive buzz a lot of non/casual gamers will balk at spending $10 on a game for their phone since they're used to F2P and $1-3 games.

Why would someone buy an old game at full price like Skyrim for the Switch if it will have already been remastered and released on the ps4 / x1 prior?
Since I already had a PC version with higher resolution, mod support, nicer effects, console Skyrim remasters seemed totally worthless to me--especially once they decided to just give the remaster to existing PC owners at no cost. Switch Skyrim is the first that actually means an interesting new capability, where I can keep playing outside of the chair I'm currently in.

It has been proven that Pokemon GO has affected their pokemon business on the 3ds very positively.

"The Pokémon Go effect: 3DS sales up 19% as the mobile megahit stirs up fan excitement"

pokemon-go-effect-656x667__large.jpg

I think that, Mario Kart and Smash are sequels in the sense that they will be the only versions on the first iteration of the Switch. But they'll likely have the entire base Wii U games with a load of new content added on.

So, like a sequel plus the previous version.

Just based on what we've seen/heard so far, it appears to me that Splatoon has the most 'reworking' out of all of those. Everything from the view of the Inklings as they spawn at the start of the match, the added background details, the map which looks new, more customization, to the rumour about being able to change weapons mid-match. That last one alone could potentially be a big addition.

Whatever it is, I can't wait to find out.

To be fair, I think having a game like Skyrim presents a dramatically different scenario from the ports we saw on Wii-U.

With Wii-U, we got games like Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, and Assassin's Creed 3. Those were all late ports of games that carried the baggage of being sequels to titles that weren't on Wii-U as well. Adding to that baggage was the fact that none of these titles really made great use of the Wii-U gamepad, so there was little reason to double-dip.

Skyrim is a standalone title that offers nearly infinite replayabiliy. When you combine that with the unique functionality of the Switch, I think it makes Nintendo's version something special. Whether or not that will make it worth double or triple dipping for some people is a question we don't have an answer for yet. However, it certainly stands that this is not a 1 to 1 scenario with the ports we saw on Wii-U.

Debirudog

the only reason why people think Splatoon are just ports is because of the leakers saying so but when the screens show more improvements to the assets, animations, basic weapons, clothing and hairstyles, it just feels more likely Nintendo is going for a sequel approach. If you throw in the rumor that you can switch weapons mid-game, then it immediately adds another layer to the game.

Even then, enhanced ports with a ton of new content can be something that I feel Nintendo can find a lot of success in for the switch. I imagine more Wii U owners who feel cheated out would soften their stance if Nintendo can manage to deliver new content and substantial gameplay enhancements.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

Do we have any information about using 2 non-tiny controllers while in portable mode?

I'd love to get some 2p games on long flights going, but those little dinky controllers look horrid to use.

So,

Do we have any information about using 2 non-tiny controllers while in portable mode?

I'd love to get some 2p games on long flights going, but those little dinky controllers look horrid to use.

The switch promo video shows people using pro controllers in portable mode so I am sure that is a possibility.

The switch promo video shows people using pro controllers in portable mode so I am sure that is a possibility.

That and the rumors about the dock offering little to no extra functionality outside of TV display. It seems like the screen is considered the console itself and any accessories are linked to that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So,

i dont see why it wouldnt be the case. Unless the BT hardware is in the dock, which wouldnt make sense as it would need another different reciever for the tiny controllers, or Nintendi disables the option while in portable mode for the lulz...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It has been proven that Pokemon GO has affected their pokemon business on the 3ds very positively.

"The Pokémon Go effect: 3DS sales up 19% as the mobile megahit stirs up fan excitement"

pokemon-go-effect-656x667__large.jpg

Honestly surprised by that. But the 3DS is cheap I guess.

Time will tell if something similar happens with Mario Run and Switch. If it works for Nintendo, great. If nothing else, it should sell decent enough to provide some revenue from the mobile market even if it has negligible impact on Switch sales. I'm very skeptical that the mobile market will buy a $10 game and then run out and buy a $250+ platform to play the new 3D Mario. I just think it will mostly just be more revenue from existing Nintendo fans and lapsed fans who buy for nostalgia but don't have enough interest in gaming to buy a console or dedicated portable. Which is fine as Nintendo needs all the revenue streams they can get.

Time will tell if something similar happens with Mario Run and Switch. If it works for Nintendo, great. If nothing else, it should sell decent enough to provide some revenue from the mobile market even if it has negligible impact on Switch sales. I'm very skeptical that the mobile market will buy a $10 game and then run out and buy a $250+ platform to play the new 3D Mario. I just think it will mostly just be more revenue from existing Nintendo fans and lapsed fans who buy for nostalgia but don't have enough interest in gaming to buy a console or dedicated portable. Which is fine as Nintendo needs all the revenue streams they can get.

It's not really about convincing people who buy/play the mobile games to buy a new console and a new game on the console, it's about making those people aware of that console and game. If even 1% of the people who play the mobile games decide to buy a Switch, that's already a huge success.

IP awareness is the main goal, and it's something that they had a lot of trouble with for the Wii U.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
IP awareness is the main goal, and it's something that they had a lot of trouble with for the Wii U.

Is IP awareness really an issue with Mario though? If anything he's overassociated with Nintendo and a big part of the "Nintendo is just for the kiddies" image problem they have. That and many gamers are just sick of Mario after so many games and spinoffs over the years and being tied to a genre in platformers that has gone from dominate to very niche.

Is IP awareness really an issue with Mario though? If anything he's overassociated with Nintendo and a big part of the "Nintendo is just for the kiddies" image problem they have. That and many gamers are just sick of Mario after so many games and spinoffs over the years and being tied to a genre in platformers that has gone from dominate to very niche.

There's a world of difference between someone who thinks of Mario 64 when they see Mario and someone who is aware of all of the new games that have come out since then.

I think the goal of their mobile games is to get people to see what is new and exciting with these IP. That gets them at the very least interested in whatever platform it's on. Somehow that worked wonders with Pokemon, despite everyone and their mother knowing about Pokemon.

Thanks BDGAME for the question.

What IOS/Android games can become good switch games?

I'm sure some could function well but I have zero interest in the Switch becoming a phone game player.

Yeah, I don't know why this has become a heavily requested feature. I mean, the more games the merrier of course, but everyone who will buy the Switch will already have access to a smartphone or tablet. I'm not sure why it needs to have mobile games at all, including Nintendo's mobile games.

LordKano

I'm quite excited that the french Nintendo fansite I write for got an invitation to the Switch event on January 13th <3
The wait will be even longer now.

Thanks BDGAME for the question.

What IOS/Android games can become good switch games?

I'd honestly just want ports of the same games that PS4 is getting. Give me Hitman/Lara Croft Go and I'll be more than happy.

I'm quite excited that the french Nintendo fansite I write for got an invitation to the Switch event on January 13th <3
The wait will be even longer now.

That's awesome! I hope we can look forward to some hands-on impressions from you then!

What Iwata and the Nintendo board realized before Iwatas unfortunate death was that Nintendo's IP has been weakened through their own mistakes. Nintendo was so afraid to lend the likeness of their characters to anyone that they missed opportunities over the last decade to keep their IPs in pop culture.

Pokemon Go and Mario Run (and the other 2 mobile games they are making) is a way for Nintendo to keep their characters relevant in the mainstream so that if anyone wants to explore them further they can purchase into their hardware ecosystem. Nintendo didn't realize this until they started going downhill with the Wii U.

This is why you see the universal deal, Nintendo IP in third party games, and mobile game development. It is part of their plan to keep their IP relevant which they should have done from the very begging when they started to see huge dips in their hardware purchases.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You may have heard there's a Switch press event in Paris jan 13th. I got an invite for it today, but I can't go :( It sucks so much to get that mail, see the date and realize it's the worst timing. I checked with Nintendo and there will be more events closer to launch, but I'm gutted to miss this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom