• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasedo

Nah trust me. I'd be happy with the conservative theories being thrown around of the tablets capabilities. Which makes me think right that when it comes to handhelds people have been extremely happy with the low tech found in the 3DS. Imagine a handheld that has the power and graphics of a Wii U and by current theories uses the latest Pascal tech. This means the handheld part will last a very very long time. The console market has much higher expectations and because of that you would need to be able to produce a steady hardware upgrade cycle. Ninty using their Supplemental Computing Device ideas can effectively boost the power of the Switch by upgrading components in the dock SCD. As it's only a supplemental device the cost of upgrade would be much lower. I see it like this. Switch version 1 initial launch with Tablet power plus dock version 1 SCD power. In 2-3 years time the dock will get an upgrade to version 2 with a better gpu, ram etc but still is supplemental to Switch version 1 power. In 5-6 years time they will refresh both the handheld and the dock hardware. This keeps the portable gaming market happy and ensures they can also compete against PS and Xbone. Remember they have new leadership and I think they want to keep investors happy by competing properly with competitors to lure in the hardcore gamers, yet still have a strong point of difference.

I hope not. It's in just one month. Leaking stuff now would be pretty douchey. If people know something, they should just sit on it and let Nintendo control their message.
I am so fucking tired of seeing posts like this. You should not want video game "journalists" shilling out to publishers and developers. Journalists have a moral and ethical obligation to report what they hear which means they can't sit on information that could damage a person or organization they personally like. I'm not even sure how this anti-leak culture started because no one complains when there are leaks in any other medium. It is celebrated in sports and politics and there is no reason why it shouldn't be in the video game sphere.

Also, if Nintendo wanted to prevent leaks, it should have done the reveal months ago. I'm guessing it's next month so they could announce pokemon stars without hurting the sales of sun and moon which is greedy. It is no one else's fault but Nintendo's that Switch information has leaked and no one should feel sorry for them if more stuff leaks.

LordKano

Same. I can't even imagine only 40 minutes.
1 hour feels bare minimum... for some reason.

Same. If they're doing a big event, it won't be for something as long as a Direct. They will have a lot of third-party games to present, plus their own games plus the console in itself, with the specs, the OS, how it works exactly, all the functionnality...

2 hours feels the right amount of time.

An obvious but nice to be confirmed thing: Junichi Masuda from Game Freak confirmed that Nintendo Switch is Pokémon's next home (for the main games) in an interview with a Spanish site:
http://www.meristation.com/reportaj...-pokemon-nintendo-switch-es-el-futuro/2163540

Can you quote where he said that? I don't doubt it (or you at all) but from a quick google translate all I saw was someone saying that they're going to closely look at the market adoption of the Switch.

LordKano

Pokémon Stars is getting announced at the January 12th Event, isn't it?

What's the usual timing for TPC to announce the third version?

If we're going by the way Pokémon XY and Sun/Moon have been announced, the it's usually between 8 to 10 months before the release. Sun/Moon got announced in february for a release in november, while X/Y was in january for a release in october.

If it's a september release, like Eurogamer and LKD implied, it may be announced at the January event. It would fit with the pasts announcement.

However, since Sun&Moon just released, they may want to not kill their legs so soon, thus I expect them to wait a bit longer before the reveal. Maybe an April Direct ?

BY2K

Membero Americo
If we're going by the way Pokémon XY and Sun/Moon have been announced, the it's usually between 8 to 10 months before the release. Sun/Moon got announced in february for a release in november, while X/Y was in january for a release in october.

If it's a september release, like Eurogamer and LKD implied, it may be announced at the January event. It would fit with the pasts announcement.

However, since Sun&Moon just released, they may want to not kill their legs so soon, thus I expect them to wait a bit longer before the reveal. Maybe an April Direct ?

I mean stuff like Emerald Version or Platinum Version. How long after the first two versions were released did it take before they were announced?

AR15mex

Sin duda, Nintendo Switch es el futuro, pero tendremos que esperar a que salga al mercado y estudiar cómo puede beneficiarse de Pokémon.

English (Im bilingual so...) Translation

No doubt, The Nintendo Switch is the future, but we need to wait until it comes out on the market and study how could Pokemon benefit from it.

There is more but they its the same thing but with different words..

LordKano

I mean stuff like Emerald Version or Platinum Version. How long after the first two versions were released did it take before they were announced?

Emerald was announced in a CoroCoro Magazine on July 2004 (a year and a half after the release of Ruby/Sapphire) and released three months later in Japan. Platinum was announced in a PR in May 2008(also a year and a half after Diamond/Pearl) for a release in september of the same year.

But these shouldn't be taken as examples of how it will be handled this time. Emerald is 12 years old and Platinum turned 8. The Pokémon Company changed the way it handle announcement and communication.

jacksrb

It's likely an hr in length. The 3DS and Wii U pre-launch events that detailed launch lineup, launch date, pricing, etc... each ranged about 60mins in length. Could be go a bit longer but 1hr is a lot of time to cover things.

They can slice it however they want, especially around how they want to go in depth with the software lineup, but I assume it will be much longer. If you think about this in relation to Wii U, they are sort of combining the E3 2012 with the Fall 2012 conferences.

A lot of ground to cover:
- the system (features we know about and all the motion, touch, etc.)
- the OS
- the games (what are they, what the proposition of each one is, someone giving a demo)
- launch pricing/skus/timing

Question. I think people are saying that the Switch connects to the dock via Usb C. Why aren't we thinking that this is Thunderbolt. In which case doesn't this open up possibilities like dual graphics, or additional RAM etc because of the super fast transfer speeds between the Switch and Dock?

Probably Thunderbolt 3 since that uses the same connector as USB-C.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Something I didn't see discussed is Jimmy Fallon's sentence: "It's 3 consoles in 1 console". Why did he say that, is it a slogan he heard from Nintendo?

oti

Banned
Something I didn't see discussed is Jimmy Fallon's sentence: "It's 3 consoles in 1 console". Why did he say that, is it a slogan he heard from Nintendo?
I think it was just a mistake of his. Maybe he means the kickstand makes it an additional portable console or something.

atbigelow

Probably Thunderbolt 3 since that uses the same connector as USB-C.

Probably not; see my earlier post about this. There are no non-Intel Thunderbolt chipsets. Incredibly unlikely they are going to rework the USB controller in the Tegras to use TB as well as pay the licensing fee. Especially when they don't need the bandwidth.

Call me late to the party here, but did we discuss Gamexplain's video breakdown of the footage on Fallon? I just found the time to watch it and found it super interesting! Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6N9YOOPeY

Some items of note to discuss:

- The dock appears to support laying flat
- Removing the Switch from the dock appears to automatically pause the game you're playing

- The Pro controller might have an IR sensor
-- This is especially interesting to me in relation to rumors of the joy-cons having Wii-like capabilities. I'm heavily leaning towards Switch using IR to simulate touch screen input when the console is docked. IR, vibration and Gyro controls would be easy to implement across all controllers, including the Pro.

Despite rumors of the joy-cons acting like Wii-remotes, I don't personally think they'll be used in that capacity for Switch games. If anything, I think they just wanted the Switch to be compatible with NES through Wii Virtual Console games out of the box. With gyro, vibration, and IR support, the joy-cons are basically at Wii-remote functionality anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw in the Wii-Remote Plus functionality because they could.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Qj5goDs.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
With gyro, vibration, and IR support, the joy-cons are basically at Wii-remote functionality anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw in the Wii-Remote Plus functionality because they could.
Wii Sports 3 would please me in that case.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This is gonna be a loooong month.
Quite a few days to distract though, at least if you are Christian (though Christmas is for anyone really):

Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
New Year's Eve
Twelfth Night
Epiphany

Rösti;226463650 said:
Quite a few days to distract though, at least if you are Christian (though Christmas is for anyone really):

Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
New Year's Eve
Twelfth Night
Epiphany

Just Chinese food and movies for me on the 24th (Jewish).

I just feel like we're not getting any more leaks since the presentation is so close, so there won't be all that much to discuss leading up to it. I think the Seasons of Heaven trailer is supposed to come out this week so that'll be interesting to discuss, but I can't think of much else coming soon.

Maybe I'll have to pass the time by *gasp* playing games!

realdragon75

Neo Member
If we can get a translator to confirm that, then that is actually threadworthy news. Official confirmation of mainline Pokemon.

It doesn't really say anything new. It just says that the Nintendo Switch is the future, and that they will study how people use the device and see what they can do with that info after that.

Roo

If we can get a translator to confirm that, then that is actually threadworthy news. Official confirmation of mainline Pokemon.
It is definitely not confirmed. I mean, it's obvious Game Freak will support the Switch down the road with mainline Pokémon games as 3DS can only keep going for so long but they did not outright confirm it.

They said they will wait and see how people react to the system, how they use it, so they have an idea of how to incorporate the series to the system and take advantage from it.

It's our typical PR statement but yeah, nothing confirmed right now

Eliseo

Sin duda, Nintendo Switch es el futuro, pero tendremos que esperar a que salga al mercado y estudiar cómo puede beneficiarse de Pokémon. Cuando la gente la tenga, tendremos que ver y estudiar profundamente cómo la utilizan para entonces pensar cómo serán las próximas entregas de Pokémon y cómo la saga se podría beneficiar de esta nueva consola.

Without a doubt, Nintendo switch it's the future, but We will have to wait until goes out on the market and study how it can benefit from Pokemon.When people have it, We will have too see and deeply study how to use it so we can think how the next entries of pokemon are going to be and how the saga can benefit from the new console.

We all pretty much assume that down the line there will be a smaller, more portable-friendly Switch. I'm curious which route they go, though. I was thinking of these possibilities, at least:

1. Like Switch, but smaller. Same functions and capabilities as Switch, just shrunken down as much as possible. PRO: All capabilities maintained. CON: Necessitates creating different sizes of joy-cons, with each Switch model needing its own kind.

2. GBA-like design, all one piece. PRO: Simplest from engineering standpoint, gives them most flexibility in design. CON: Users of this model have no chance of splitting joy-cons for multiplayer or any dual motion uses without separate purchases.

3. GBASP-like design. I'm imagining something similar to the Grip, but with a flip portion with the screen/speakers. PRO: Maintains all functionality, can use same joy-con designs (maybe default ones using 3DS like slide pad for better folding). CON: Amount they can shrink it down still limited by current joy-con sizes. Might end up with something nearly half as wide as usual portable switch, but thicker when folded.

We all pretty much assume that down the line there will be a smaller, more portable-friendly Switch. I'm curious which route they go, though. I was thinking of these possibilities, at least:

1. Like Switch, but smaller. Same functions and capabilities as Switch, just shrunken down as much as possible. PRO: All capabilities maintained. CON: Necessitates creating different sizes of joy-cons, with each Switch model needing its own kind.

2. GBA-like design, all one piece. PRO: Simplest from engineering standpoint, gives them most flexibility in design. CON: Users of this model have no chance of splitting joy-cons for multiplayer or any dual motion uses without separate purchases.

3. GBASP-like design. I'm imagining something similar to the Grip, but with a flip portion with the screen/speakers. PRO: Maintains all functionality, can use same joy-con designs (maybe default ones using 3DS like slide pad for better folding). CON: Amount they can shrink it down still limited by current joy-con sizes. Might end up with something nearly half as wide as usual portable switch, but thicker when folded.

One thought when discussing revisions is whether or not those revisions will be positioned as hybrids (like the Switch is) or just pure portables. If it's going to be a hybrid, it still needs to fit into the dock such that you can easily place it and remove it. A much smaller Switch won't work in that case.

Unless they sell the new revisions with different sized docks, but I feel like that could get awfully confusing. "Why does my Switch not fit in your dock?? Didn't you say you have a Switch dock too?"

MoonFrog

Hmmm, I'm thinking they could do with a pure portable, no hybrid SKU. Or possibly do a smaller device that doesn't get the rumored dock upclock/active cooling, but does have an HDMI out.

I do think the concerns about JoyCons and motion controls are serious concerns to such a device existing, as the device would have to be able to play all Switch games.

That said, I really want there to be a streamlined, portable minded version when the tech is a little older and can be re-sized.

Pachimari

Despite rumors of the joy-cons acting like Wii-remotes, I don't personally think they'll be used in that capacity for Switch games. If anything, I think they just wanted the Switch to be compatible with NES through Wii Virtual Console games out of the box. With gyro, vibration, and IR support, the joy-cons are basically at Wii-remote functionality anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw in the Wii-Remote Plus functionality because they could.
I agree with this viewpoint and it is also my fear. Actually, I would be happy with just pointer controls for games like Phoenix Wright ,Another Code, Zack & Wiki and stuff like that. Although I do want a Wii remote kind-of setup for Wii Sports. I wouldn't really need motion controls for any other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom