• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. But I see how it's a very pertinent question.

If not, then Nintendo cannot be sued based on it. However, the device can still be used as prior art to potentially read on Nintendo's patent filing of the Switch, if they ever do file a general patent application for the Switch.

Platy

Can Nintendo be sued for this?

wikipad-gamevice-0.jpg

Isn't this just a bluetooth controller for phones ?

Shahadan

What if the OS has no browser or common apps but lets your smartphone do the job instead? Is there some way the Switch could simply display your phone screen on it?

Browsers and apps seems useless to me when we have all a smartphone and this thing is supposed to be portable anyway. I'd be ok with them telling me "just use your phone"

keakster

I had thought that Nintendo was going to go with "Go" as a console name. It fit with the idea of it and would also capitalize on the Pokemon Go hype. When it was announced as "Switch" I thought that would be a good second choice, or maybe they wanted to avoid any confusion with the name for the less informed consumer.

Seeing today that "Pokemon Go" was the most Googled phrase of the year is making me think Nintendo missed an opportunity.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That was basically the switch pack contents confirnation imho

Yeah, that's how I saw it. It was practically a marketing display of the basic pack.

Yeah but the grip was with two additional joycons so it might be a bit misleading.
Unless they're giving two more joycons with it, which would be awesome but I doubt it.

It had two additional joycons just to show how it works, I'm pretty sure there won't be additional ones in the pack.

oti

Banned
I had thought that Nintendo was going to go with "Go" as a console name. It fit with the idea of it and would also capitalize on the Pokemon Go hype. When it was announced as "Switch" I thought that would be a good second choice, or maybe they wanted to avoid any confusion with the name for the less informed consumer.

Seeing today that "Pokemon Go" was the most Googled phrase of the year is making me think Nintendo missed an opportunity.
I see your point but I think that would emphasize the handheld part of the concept too much. I don't think Nintendo wants that, especially if the battery life really ends up being something like 3h.

keakster

I see your point but I think that would emphasize the handheld part of the concept too much. I don't think Nintendo wants that, especially if the battery life really ends up being something like 3h.

True, they also are probably really sensitive to any kind of naming similarities after the confused reception of the Wii U.

I'm still not sold on the controller when the screen is docked - the middle square bit looks odd to me - the fact that it's raised from the main controller body as a result of the detachable components makes it look awkward. I'm also not sold on the N64 C-button style D-Pad. It just doesn't look comfortable to hold but it could just be that the design makes it look bigger to hold than it is - Nintendo's controllers are generally good ergonomically speaking.

Also, what's with those 8 green lights - are they the equivalent of the red lights on the Wii remote - i.e they tell you which player you are in local multi?

Shahadan

I'm still not sold on the controller when the screen is docked - the middle square bit looks odd to me - the fact that it's raised from the main controller body as a result of the detachable components makes it look awkward. I'm also not sold on the N64 C-button style D-Pad. It just doesn't look comfortable to hold but it could just be that the design makes it look bigger to hold than it is - Nintendo's controllers are generally good ergonomically speaking.

Also, what's with those 8 green lights - are they the equivalent of the red lights on the Wii remote - i.e they tell you which player you are in local multi?

There is also another controller (though maybe not packed in)

Yall laughing at me but why did reggie use a pro controller instead of the joy cons together??

Edit: What the hell is the joy con grip? It aint grip enough?

When you put the Joy-Cons together and use it as one controller, that thingy you attach them both to? That's the Grip.

The reason he did that was obviously because the Joy-Cons on the Grip were there for show, so that the audience both live and watching on TV will know the JC Grip is there for you to use as a controller, plus, even if he wanted to, he probably couldn't use them because BotW is a single-player game and the only working Joy-Cons connected were still on the Switch tablet which Jimmy used when he switched to playing portably. And on top of that, Reggie got to show off that the Pro exists for anyone who wasn't aware (I still have friends who didn't know about the Pro controller for the Wii U) and works with BotW.

J@hranimo

Banned

Well it does have rounded grips under each side like other controllers do. If anything, I'd say just wait until impressions in a month of how comfortable it is. If still not sold, luckily there's a newer Pro Controller!

As excited as I am for the Switch, I can't help but feel like Nintendo should have done this 4 years ago. Had they put out something like the Switch back in 2012 with power around the Vita's (with docked 720p) instead of the Wii U, they probably would have done better than they will now with the way the tablet industry was booming back then. The Vita failed because dedicated handhelds were starting to fade away around that time, but I think with the "home console first" marketing, a tablet form factor, portable multiplayer and their strong IPs, Nintendo could have done pretty well around that time.

I'm not sure if they could do as well in today's market though. Tablets and mobile games have eroded so much of Nintendo's traditional market within the past 4 years that I'd imagine convincing parents to buy a $300 games focused tablet with $60 software over a $40 Fire tablet with f2p games is going to be a hard sell.

DrWong

As excited as I am for the Switch, I can't help but feel like Nintendo should have done this 4 years ago. Had they put out something like the Switch back in 2012 with power around the Vita's (with docked 720p) instead of the Wii U, they probably would have done better than they will now with the way the tablet industry was booming back then. The Vita failed because dedicated handhelds were starting to fade away around that time, but I think with the "home console first" marketing, a tablet form factor, portable multiplayer and their strong IPs, Nintendo could have done pretty well around that time.

I'm not sure if they could do as well in today's market though. Tablets and mobile games have eroded so much of Nintendo's traditional market within the past 4 years that I'd imagine convincing parents to buy a $300 games focused tablet with $60 software over a $40 Fire tablet with f2p games is going to be a hard sell.
Yeah, they should have released the Switch instead of the famicom. Hire me Nintendo I can use the future to power the past.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive me for asking this question as it may have been already discussed, but is there any possibility that the Switch could include a Wii U Gamepad replacement mode?
Thanks in advance.

Can we all take a minute to appreciate how incredibly accurate all of the leaks we got were, in view of the new patent applications published today?

EDarkness

Can we all take a minute to appreciate how incredibly accurate all of the leaks we got were, in view of the new patent applications published today?

Seriously. I'm pretty impressed. Two fans, dock increases power, and IR on the joycons have me excited. I wasn't hyped before, but I'm getting hyped now.

LordKano

Is the Switch strong enough to emulate Wii games with optimal performance? Gamecube VC I can see just fine, but the Wii will require more than that.

If it can emulate properly gamecube, there shouldn't be any problem with Wii. The only problems that we need to figure yet is how the joycons will emulate the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm just worried about the separate joy cons as "wiimote" controllers of sorts

I mean say what you will about the Wiimote, but I never had problems playing with it as a controller, hell I even used it for Smash, but I wonder if it's good for the hands with how the stick and buttons are spaced

Yall laughing at me but why did reggie use a pro controller instead of the joy cons together??

Edit: What the hell is the joy con grip? It aint grip enough?

Reggie used a Pro controller so he didn't have to explain the whole concept of removable joycons. That's also why we saw a Grip with an additional set of joycons attached to it sitting on the tablet. If the entire segment were about Switch, I have no doubt that they would have gone into more detail. It's the basic concept of an elevator pitch, you focus on your biggest selling point because your time is limited.

Sendou

I'm just worried about the separate joy cons as "wiimote" controllers of sorts

I mean say what you will about the Wiimote, but I never had problems playing with it as a controller, hell I even used it for Smash, but I wonder if it's good for the hands with how the stick and buttons are spaced

I would hope and assume considering how many Wiimotes there are out there that if a game uses Joy-cons IR sensor you can alternatively use a Wiimote. I mean the inputs are essentially the same (-analog triggers).

LordKano

I think there are enough buttons on those things that it won't be a problem.

That's not the problem. Try to visualise how you will use the joycons as Wii remote + nunchucks, taking into account where the IR pointer is (below the right joycon) and that it needs to be aimed at the dock.
It's just not possible.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I got a loan of a 3DS recently to play Pokemon Sun. Wasn't prepared to buy one just to play one game. Anyway, my point is that it has got me excited for a handheld portable device again. I thought I was over them but I really enjoy being able to play while in bed or while out and about. I think it's mostly because I have got more into games and become more of a PC gamer since I last owned a handheld device so I'm playing games a lot more and while sitting at a desk. As though my hype for the Switch wasn't high enough already! If it really does indeed have similar battery life to the 3DS then it's gonna be so damn good.

That's not the problem. Try to visualise how you will use the joycons as Wii remote + nunchucks, taking into account where the IR pointer is (below the right joycon) and that it needs to be aimed at the dock.
It's just not possible.

Yeah... I thought otherwise at first, but now I see the light. There's no real way for the in-box joy-cons to emulate the Wii controller effectively. It seems to suggest that if we do have Wii Virtual Console games, they'll require a Wii-remote or a different joycon.

rekameohs

Banned
It's just not possible.
The Wii Remote has 6 buttons (A, B, 1, 2, +, -) and a D-Pad. Even without any of the triggers, the right Joy-Con has 6 buttons (A, B, X, Y, +, Right Stick click), and an analog stick. Those could be used for Wii games, and those wanting a more comfortable alternative for the occasional Wii game that actually uses all of those buttons, a custom Joy-Con could be made, which the patent shows is doable.

LordKano

The Wii Remote has 6 buttons (A, B, 1, 2, +, -) and a D-Pad. Even without any of the triggers, the right Joy-Con has 6 buttons (A, B, X, Y, +, Right Stick click), and an analog stick). Those could be used for Wii games, and those wanting a more comfortable alternative for the occasional Wii game that actually uses all of those buttons, a custom Joy-Con could be made, which the patent shows is doable.

Again, that's not the point. The numbers of button is not the problem, it's about how they're placed.

RootCause

Is the Switch strong enough to emulate Wii games with optimal performance? Gamecube VC I can see just fine, but the Wii will require more than that.
The WiiU has no problem emulating Wii games. If the Switch is equal, or stronger, then it should be fine. Unless I'm missing something. :p
They do. They're basically Wii remotes 3.0.
Sweet! Wouldn't mind paying the upgrade fee for some skyward sword, and Metroid Prime on the go.

Retrobox

The WiiU has no problem emulating Wii games. If the Switch is equal, or stronger, then it should be fine. Unless I'm missing something. :p

Oh, I thought the Wii U played Wii games through backwards compatibility, which is different from emulation I think?

But apparently we aren't facing any issues on the power side of things, so hey I guess we're good to go.

RootCause

Oh, I thought the Wii U played Wii games through backwards compatibility, which is different from emulation I think?

But apparently we aren't facing any issues on the power side of things, so hey I guess we're good to go.
Hmm you might be right. Perhaps someone with knowledge can clear this up.

EDarkness

Again, that's not the point. The numbers of button is not the problem, it's about how they're placed.

There are shoulder buttons on the side that can be used as well. Though, I admit that those being on the inside of the hand is problematic. Again, I'm sure they can make it work somehow. On top of that, they may very well release a remote mod that has the camera at the other end. What I want most are larger joycons, so I hope they take that into consideration, too.

Hmm you might be right. Perhaps someone with knowledge can clear this up.

Yeah, the Wii U basically had a Wii inside it just like the Wii had a Gamecube inside it, so it played those games via BC rather than emulation.

However, if the Switch can emulate Gamecube games then it's very, very likely that it can also emulate Wii games. So I'd expect Wii VC games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom