• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Best jRPGs of the generation? >.>

Agreed for Xenoblade X, but even if they are the best games ever made, that's still only two games.

DQXI and BotW is essentially enough to carry me through the entirety of 2017... Pokemon Stars and any sort of Dark Souls is just gravy at that point.

I'm wondering why they didn't really mention the Switch version of DQXI at the event though (it was mentioned briefly as "still coming"). I wonder if it will be featured heavily at the January event.

Probably because Nintendo refuse that anyone shows a Switch game running, besides themselves, before the January event.

MoonFrog

DQXI and BotW is essentially enough to carry me through the entirety of 2017... Pokemon Stars and any sort of Dark Souls is just gravy at that point.

I'm wondering why they didn't really mention the Switch version of DQXI at the event though (it was mentioned briefly as "still coming"). I wonder if it will be featured heavily at the January event.
Oh it should be. It should be. DQXI is a gift from the gods. Nintendo would do well to treat it as such. I want a strong showing for Japan. Make Switch an exciting handheld against mobile. Games are the best way to do so. Show DQXI, Nintendo games, and a wide array of 3DS successors/PS4 ports.

They also need to let Japan know if this is coming out at same time as others, what version it is, unique features, etc. Nintendo wants DQXI to do good on both platforms and to cement the franchise's presence on Nintendo. I hope the Switch version is there day and date as the others (I think it is supposed to be, but we'll see). I hope it offers a unique twist on UE4 version that only can be accomplished with it, with respect to it being a hybrid.

I really don't think the IR is gonna replicate Wii controls anymore. I think it'll only be used for scanning your vein and pulse.

The patent also says hand recognition as in making gestures with your hands and the IR can recognize them.

Also Nintendo is DONE with Wii branding, no way in hell they showcase a controller that mimics the Wii controller.

This time the message is clear. Regular controller that splits for local multiplayer. Thats all.

Oh it should be. It should be. DQXI is a gift from the gods. Nintendo would do well to treat it as such. I want a strong showing for Japan. Make Switch an exciting handheld against mobile. Games are the best way to do so. Show DQXI, Nintendo games, and a wide array of 3DS successors/PS4 ports.

They also need to let Japan know if this is coming out at same time as others, what version it is, unique features, etc. Nintendo wants DQXI to do good on both platforms and to cement the franchise's presence on Nintendo. I hope the Switch version is there day and date as the others (I think it is supposed to be, but we'll see). I hope it offers a unique twist on UE4 version that only can be accomplished with it, with respect to it being a hybrid.

I'd avatar quote you if I didn't completely agree. That game looks phenomenal, though I'm a bit worried that we haven't seen any combat yet. I hope it remains turned based.

I wonder if the Switch version will have any amiibo support. I'd kill for a Slime amiibo.

EDarkness

The patent also says hand recognition as in making gestures with your hands and the IR can recognize them.

Also Nintendo is DONE with Wii branding, no way in hell they showcase a controller that mimics the Wii controller.

This time the message is clear. Regular controller that splits for local multiplayer. Thats all.

They're not giving up on pointer controls. That much should be pretty clear. Maybe the new way they're going to do it is not with IR. I guess we'll see when they show off Pikmin or something like that.

EDarkness

3ds version seemed pretty much done

Yeah. I think they put the most work into that one so far. Makes sense as I think that will be the version that will sell the most. I don't think the PS4/NS versions will be too far behind, though. Interested in seeing how the combat works with a team in the HD version.

I think my hype is too high for this console. Not sure why I am looking forward to in so much. I don't really like portable gaming much and have always felt the DS line steals too many good games from the Nintendo home consoles. So my hype is because I can finally play a real Pokemon on my TV.

All of those handheld ports is the fuel behind my excitement, hoping for less DS only games.

I owned a 3DS for a while but the small screen is not great for my poor eyesight and the Wii U gamepad size is not ideal.

I'm pretty fucking hyped for this too man, although I haven't really been following it as much as I have previous handhelds/consoles for Nintendo. Nintendo really needs to make some noise with the Switch, so I'm sure that all the development teams are going to be creating some amazing games. We can only hope that Nintendo can get more 3rd party developers to bring their games over to this console as well, but time will tell how that goes.

MoonFrog

I'd avatar quote you if I didn't completely agree. That game looks phenomenal, though I'm a bit worried that we haven't seen any combat yet. I hope it remains turned based.

I wonder if the Switch version will have any amiibo support. I'd kill for a Slime amiibo.
Oh avatar quote away. It'd just be one more Slime to look at on the page, i.e. a good thing :).

As to combat, we have that image of UE4 doing what seems like menu based combat against a row of Lips and one other monster, iirc (EDIT: it's a slime--my god, forgotten my own kind :p). It's in a prison setting; Aeana posted it recently in the DQ thread. Then we have that the 3DS version is supposed to have random battles in 2D version and enemies on map in 3D version. Unless things have changed, this is probably going to be a turn based game.

And I'm giddy after that trailer. I don't often get like this. I'm going to have a Switch (so presumably portable UE4 version) but I'm torn by 3DS version. I'm leaning towards buying both Switch and 3DS versions myself.

EDarkness

Oh avatar quote away. It'd just be one more Slime to look at on the page, i.e. a good thing :).

As to combat, we have that image of UE4 doing what seems like menu based combat against a row of Lips and one other monster, iirc. It's in a prison setting; Aena posted it recently in the DQ thread. Then we have that the 3DS version is supposed to have random battles in 2D version and enemies on map in 3D version. Unless things have changed, this is probably going to be a turn based game.

And I'm giddy after that trailer. I don't often get like this. I'm going to have a Switch (so presumably portable UE4 version) and but I'm torn by 3DS version. I'm leaning towards buying both Switch and 3DS versions myself.

I'm thinking the same thing. I may go ahead and get both the 3DS version and the NS version since I own all other DQ games except DQ X. The 3DS being different enough to warrant a purchase over the other versions.

EDarkness

I'd be hesitant to assume 100% that Switch will get the Unreal Engine 4 version. Stranger things have happened.

It wouldn't make any sense to give the NS version the 3DS treatment. If it's power was on the level of the 3DS, then I could see that, but that's not the case here. The only logical version it could get is the PS4 port.

I'd be hesitant to assume 100% that Switch will get the Unreal Engine 4 version. Stranger things have happened.
I imagine that Switch is probably closer to PS4 than 3DS but it could go either way, I guess.
Maybe if it launches later they can port both versions
DQXI isn't launching in 2017. The PS4 version is far too premature given what they've shown.
No combat being shown in that version does seem a bit concerning.
The visuals are nice but there doesn't seem to be much game to it with limited interactivity shown.
Also not fond of the animations. Not entirely sure how to describe it, tho

Oregano

True. I try to modify it with presumably wherever I write that lol. Because I am making a presumption.

Yeah, it would be kind of disappointing..

It wouldn't make any sense to give the NS version the 3DS treatment. If it's power was on the level of the 3DS, then I could see that, but that's not the case here. The only logical version it could get is the PS4 port.

I imagine that Switch is probably closer to PS4 than 3DS but it could go either way, I guess.
Maybe if it launches later they can port both versions

No combat being shown in that version does seem a bit concerning.
The visuals are nice but there doesn't seem to be much game to it with limited interactivity shown.
Also not fond of the animations. Not entirely sure how to describe it, tho

The thing is Square Enix might be following different logic like:

Switch is a device you can take on the go---> We should port the portable version.
Switch is a Nintendo system---> We should port the Nintendo version.

It might even be the case that they don't want to do anything to compromise the PS4 version. They've been desperate to make PS4 happen in Japan.

I have no doubt that you would try to think otherwise. There's no reason to assume that it would be something else though.

Square Enix's constant mismanagement of their IP and their recent retreat from Nintendo systems is enough reason to doubt.

EDarkness

The thing is Square Enix might be following different logic like:

Switch is a device you can take on the go---> We should port the portable version.
Switch is a Nintendo system---> We should port the Nintendo version.

It might even be the case that they don't want to do anything to compromise the PS4 version. They've been desperate to make PS4 happen in Japan.

Eh? Who even thinks like that? It would sabotage the NS version completely. People expect the more powerful hardware to have the version that lines up with it's capabilities. The NS doesn't have two screens, so there would be no point in even bothering with that. I could see them having the 3DS version as an extra, though. There's no reason to expect they'll port the 3DS version at this point. I'm sure Hori wouldn't want that to happen, either.

Square Enix's constant mismanagement of their IP and their recent retreat from Nintendo systems is enough reason to doubt.

Retreat from Nintendo? When did this happen?

LordKano

Dragon Quest has almost never suffered IP mismanagement, outside of DQIX who had to be reworked after the first backlash. One game out of dozens.

Also, claiming a retreat from Nintendo systems is laughable when they published at least as much 3DS games as PS4 ones.

Oregano

Eh? Who even thinks like that? It would sabotage the NS version completely. People expect the more powerful hardware to have the version that lines up with it's capabilities. The NS doesn't have two screens, so there would be no point in even bothering with that. I could see them having the 3DS version as an extra, though. There's no reason to expect they'll port the 3DS version at this point. I'm sure Hori wouldn't want that to happen, either.

Retreat from Nintendo? When did this happen?

Switch presumably wouldn't be able to run the PS4 version as is though, it would need to be downgraded. An upgraded 3DS version might seem preferrable to a downgraded PS4 version to Square Enix.
They'd be wrong but they often are.

Dragon Quest has almost never suffered IP mismanagement, outside of DQIX who had to be reworked after the first backlash. One game out of dozens.

Also, claiming a retreat from Nintendo systems is laughable when they published at least as much 3DS games as PS4 ones.

Not in recent years(since Matsuda has taken over). They've been releasing more Vita games than 3DS games.

Switch presumably wouldn't be able to run the PS4 version as is though, it would need to be downgraded. An upgraded 3DS version might seem preferrable to a downgraded PS4 version to Square Enix.

Considering it's a UE4 game which takes full advantage of FP16 code it would not need to be downgraded all that heavily.

LordKano

Not in recent years(since Matsuda has taken over). They've been releasing more Vita games than 3DS games.

Dude, that's ridiculous. The Switch will be perfectly able to handle the game, it's nothing out of range. It may not even need a downgrade. In no way a 3DS version port is even thinkable. You're out of your mind. It will get the UE4 version because it's the most logical reason, for every parties, even if that's not the bad news you wish for.

Talking about a retreat from Nintendo when the next Dragon Quest is releasing on more Nintendo consoles than anything else is stupid.

EDarkness

Eh? That doesn't make any sense. The difference between the PS4 and Wii U shouldn't be that big so an Unreal 4 engine game should work fine. The NS is not going to be that weak. Otherwise Bethesda wouldn't even bother.

I think this is mainly because there hasn't been a good Nintendo console to port to. They weren't putting anything on the Wii U and the 3DS wasn't strong enough to run a lot of the stuff they've put out recently. Didn't stop them from releasing Bravely Second or any of the Dragon Quest games (which didn't come to the Vita) on the 3DS. If the NS ends up being popular, I imagine we'll see some of those games come to that system as well.

MoonFrog

There is a way the 3DS version is thinkable. It is extraordinarily charming.

When both were announced, I was relieved, in part because I didn't have a PS4 at the time and in part because I like portable DQ.

I now have a PS4. I think it'll run close to PS4 on Switch. So I could have UE4 version, and I could have it on the go. I still want the 3DS version too.

It has the 2D option. It looks fantastic for a 3DS game. While I think the UE4 version is breathtaking, I do think it could use a more cartoon approach to environments.

I am not joking or trying to be consistent with myself when I say I'm considering getting both 3DS and Switch version.

I really do think Switch should be able to run UE4 version quite well. AND be portable. That prospect is fucking amazing. But I object to the dialectic being set where 3DS version is inferior.

I really do think Switch should be able to run UE4 version quite well. AND be portable. That prospect is fucking amazing. But I object to the dialectic being set where 3DS version is inferior.

Well, since we're in a thread about the Switch, it's inferior in the sense that it would do a very poor job of showcasing the Switch's hardware. It would essentially say, "this handheld is about as powerful as a 3DS" when we know it's closer to 100x stronger than a 3DS.

EDarkness

I don't think there's any problem with the NS having BOTH versions. I can see the case for it. However, it should get the PS4 Unreal 4 version. To even suggest otherwise at this point is pretty crazy.

Oregano

Considering it's a UE4 game which takes full advantage of FP16 code it would not need to be downgraded all that heavily.

I'm not tech savvy at all but AFAIK FP16 would only help with shaders. It would have no affect on geometry, draw distance, textures, etc. The game would still need to be downgraded.

Dude, that's ridiculous. The Switch will be perfectly able to handle the game, it's nothing out of range. It may not even need a downgrade. In no way a 3DS version port is even thinkable. You're out of your mind. It will get the UE4 version because it's the most logical reason, for every parties, even if that's not the bad news you wish for.

Talking about a retreat from Nintendo when the next Dragon Quest is releasing on more Nintendo consoles than anything else is stupid.

I'm really not sure how we could verify the bolded. We don't know either how powerful Switch is or how powerful something has to be to run DQXI.

Eh? That doesn't make any sense. The difference between the PS4 and Wii U shouldn't be that big so an Unreal 4 engine game should work fine. The NS is not going to be that weak. Otherwise Bethesda wouldn't even bother.

I think this is mainly because there hasn't been a good Nintendo console to port to. They weren't putting anything on the Wii U and the 3DS wasn't strong enough to run a lot of the stuff they've put out recently. Didn't stop them from releasing Bravely Second or any of the Dragon Quest games (which didn't come to the Vita) on the 3DS. If the NS ends up being popular, I imagine we'll see some of those games come to that system as well.

Bethesda is bothering with a last gen game though, even if it is the remaster.

EDarkness

Bethesda is bothering with a last gen game though, even if it is the remaster.

It is their most recent game. Regardless of how old the original game is. On top of that, it's the special edition of this game...the same as with the PS4 and Xbox One. Bethesda like powerful hardware and I doubt they'd even bother if the system wasn't powerful enough to run that game. With From getting Dark Souls 3 running on the system as well, I think we can guess that it's good enough to run those kinds of games. So the idea that they'd port the 3DS version is simply ridiculous.

That said, we live in a strange world and there's always that chance someone from one of these companies will put the "kiddie"/"low tech" button for some damn reason or another. However, I doubt that Hori would do this with his game.

LordKano

There is a way the 3DS version is thinkable. It is extraordinarily charming.

When both were announced, I was relieved, in part because I didn't have a PS4 at the time and in part because I like portable DQ.

I now have a PS4. I think it'll run close to PS4 on Switch. So I could have UE4 version, and I could have it on the go. I still want the 3DS version too.

It has the 2D option. It looks fantastic for a 3DS game. While I think the UE4 version is breathtaking, I do think it could use a more cartoon approach to environments.

I am not joking or trying to be consistent with myself when I say I'm considering getting both 3DS and Switch version.

I'm not saying the 3DS version is inferior in any way. I'm saying that it makes no sense from every aspect, especially the technical one, to remake the 3DS version on Switch. It would be way, way more work to remake the 3DS version, which has been made with 3DS's hardware in mind (and its 240p, so low-res textures, models...) instead of just porting the UE4 version to a hardware that's already UE4-compatible.

I'm really not sure how we could verify the bolded. We don't know either how powerful Switch is or how powerful something has to be to run DQXI.

We have an approximative idea of how much powerful the Switch will be. DQXI is a japanese UE4 cell-shaded game. You have a few minutes of gameplay in YouTube to judge by your own eyes. The Switch can handle this. If it can handle games like Zelda, Dark Souls 3 or Skyrim Remaster (which, even if it's a remaster from a five-years old games, is still technically a demanding game), it will handle without problems DQXI. We're not talking about something like Battlefield 1 here.

MoonFrog

Well, since we're in a thread about the Switch, it's inferior in the sense that it would do a very poor job of showcasing the Switch's hardware. It would essentially say, "this handheld is about as powerful as a 3DS" when we know it's closer to 100x stronger than a 3DS.
To put this in context: I think absolute ideal case would be PS4 3D and 3DS 2D with 3DS street pass features.

Why? 3DS 2D is core to the celebration of the franchise anniversary in Japan and it is going to a very unique and charming way to play the game.

Meanwhile, PS4 3D is the technical marvel. 3DS 3D is amazing for the system and has good artistic values, in some ways better values than the PS4 version, I'd argue but if you want to capture "this is what Switch can do," yes it is PS4 3D you want.

But, I highly doubt PS4 3D/3DS 2D is feasible. I don't think they made the UE4 version to even map 1-to-1 with 3DS version. There are different engines at play. Etc.

So, put out technical piece or put out the game as it is designed to target Japan? I think there are reasons the latter is preferable.

That said, Nintendo wants to differentiate 3DS from Switch. I'm sure they'd rather have UE4 version on Switch. Enix might similarly think of potential double dippers in Nintendo ecosystem like me. Or they might think "this is the portable version tailored to a celebration of the franchise's past for Japan." And they might think that this portability and Japan friendliness is what is best about Switch, rather than its graphical prowess.

Switch is not going to be seen in the same lights as PS4.

That aside I am assuming Switch gets UE4.

MoonFrog

I'm not saying the 3DS version is inferior in any way. I'm saying that it makes no sense from every aspect, especially the technical one, to remake the 3DS version on Switch. It would be way, way more work to remake the 3DS version, which has been made with 3DS's hardware in mind (and its 240p, so low-res textures, models...) instead of just porting the UE4 version to a hardware that's already UE4-compatible.
Okay. I'm a tech idiot. Thanks for clearing up your point.

EDarkness

We have no idea how the NS is going to be seen as at this point without seeing games for it. If games for it look as great as PS4 games to the average consumer, then players will come to expect that level of detail and graphic fidelity since they'll know what the system is capable of.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the 3DS version. I think it looks great and I'd like to give it a try, so I'll probably get both. If Square Enix was smart they'd bank on that, too.

theBmZ

I really think the system looks cool. I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. I can't for January to see more details. Hopefully a price too. I feel like $249 is the sweet spot. If this thing cost 3-400 dollars, I think it will be another flop.

MoonFrog

We have no idea how the NS is going to be seen as at this point without seeing games for it. If games for it look as great as PS4 games to the average consumer, then players will come to expect that level of detail and graphic fidelity since they'll know what the system is capable of.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the 3DS version. I think it looks great and I'd like to give it a try, so I'll probably get both. If Square Enix was smart they'd bank on that, too.

Yeah I hope they do this. Because I want both and I want them both portable.

Oregano

It is their most recent game. Regardless of how old the original game is. On top of that, it's the special edition of this game...the same as with the PS4 and Xbox One. Bethesda like powerful hardware and I doubt they'd even bother if the system wasn't powerful enough to run that game. With From getting Dark Souls 3 running on the system as well, I think we can guess that it's good enough to run those kinds of games. So the idea that they'd port the 3DS version is simply ridiculous.

That said, we live in a strange world and there's always that chance someone from one of these companies will put the "kiddie"/"low tech" button for some damn reason or another. However, I doubt that Hori would do this with his game.

We have an approximative idea of how much powerful the Switch will be. DQXI is a japanese UE4 cell-shaded game. You have a few minutes of gameplay in YouTube to judge by your own eyes. The Switch can handle this. If it can handle games like Zelda, Dark Souls 3 or Skyrim Remaster (which, even if it's a remaster from a five-years old games, is still technically a demanding game), it will handle without problems DQXI. We're not talking about something like Battlefield 1 here.

Zelda is a Wii U game and Skyrim is a PS3/360 game(even if it has extra bells and whistles). Vita shared a bunch of PS2 remasters with PS3 but it didn't mean much.

As to Dark Souls 3 we don't even know if it will come to Switch and even if it is we don't know what it looks like or how it runs. It might look and run like complete crap.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*reads last page*

So...I suppose I need to collect all the recent quotes from Matt all over again, right?

To put this in context: I think absolute ideal case would be PS4 3D and 3DS 2D with 3DS street pass features.

Why? 3DS 2D is core to the celebration of the franchise anniversary in Japan and it is going to a very unique and charming way to play the game.

Meanwhile, PS4 3D is the technical marvel. 3DS 3D is amazing for the system and has good artistic values, in some ways better values than the PS4 version, I'd argue but if you want to capture "this is what Switch can do," yes it is PS4 3D you want.

But, I highly doubt PS4 3D/3DS 2D is feasible. I don't think they made the UE4 version to even map 1-to-1 with 3DS version. There are different engines at play. Etc.

So, put out technical piece or put out the game as it is designed to target Japan? I think there are reasons the latter is preferable.

That aside I am assuming Switch gets UE4.

Switch should get all versions.

EDarkness

*reads last page*

So...I suppose I need to collect all the recent quotes from Matt all over again, right?

Man, it's not even worth it. There will constantly be these folks who bring this stuff up. If someone wants to believe that X or Y game can't be done on the NS, then so be it. Trying to tell them otherwise is a waste of time.

Oersted

Yep. Its really crazy to imagine, but I have even seen people talking out of their asses.

Strange world we live in.

I hope we will see many artstyles survive the transition from 3DS to Switch. Improve, not scratch it.

Oregano

There's a big difference between a port being possible and a good port being possible. Vita got Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil Revelations 2, the Wii got Dead Rising. Switch should be closer than either of those two examples but that doesn't mean every game will be able to be ported to standards the developer and/or consumers are okay with.

Oersted

There's a big difference between a port being possible and a good port being possible. Vita got Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil Revelations 2, the Wii got Dead Rising. Switch should be closer than either of those two examples but that doesn't mean every game will be able to be ported to standards the developer and/or consumers are okay with.

I also don't know.

While your skepticism is understandable, I'm quite a bit more confident in how Switch ports will turn out since basically everything we've heard so far has been positive, regarding the power, dev tools and ease of porting. We'll of course have a much clearer picture come January.

EDarkness

There shouldn't be anything preventing good ports, but that's not on the hardware, but the people doing the porting. Good hardware can have some shitty ports and lower hardware can have some great ones. As far as the hardware goes, the NS should be able to run everything coming out now. The quality of the ports will depend on the team doing the port.

MoonFrog

I hope we will see many artstyles survive the transition from 3DS to Switch. Improve, not scratch it.

Yeah, really hope this. I want PS4/Switch multiplatform Japanese games. I also want 3DS successors to a) persist and b) continue to be themselves. That's the Switch dream that I'm hoping is realized.

EDarkness

Yeah, really hope this. I want PS4/Switch multiplatform Japanese games. I also want 3DS successors to a) persist and b) continue to be themselves. That's the Switch dream that I'm hoping is realized.

I hope so, too. I think it'll give those companies another audience to sell their games to. I don't want to see those kinds of games go away.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have a 3ds and a ps4
Who cares about DQXI unless it has UE4 game docked and 2d sprite in portable ;p

What I am looking for from Switch isnt ps4 ports but a new home for all the Nintendo games and all the usual japanese portable games that otherwise risk to disappear

Akhe

I have a 3ds and a ps4
Who cares about DQXI unless it has UE4 game docked and 2d sprite in portable ;p

What I am looking for from Switch isnt ps4 ports but a new home for all the Nintendo games and all the usual japanese portable games that otherwise risk to disappear

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom