• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

So fucking annoyed about the switch hybrid cover. Had it reserved since the first day. Was supposed to launch with the system.

Gamestop is now saying the 10th and you cant even order them from gamestop.com anymore (not available online)

Comes with a screen protector. Wonder if its due to the protector issues that have been springing up.

I worried about production issues but id really like to keep my switch protected when im playing and out and about.

Kyzer

Banned
Wow that's quite a haul! I'm happy for you!!!

Switchmas comes to everyone willing to accept the delivery.

Nice! You're in for a treat with Zelda.

Also if you like racers, you should buy Fast RMX

large.gif

I will certainly be picking up Fast RMX, along with I Am Setsuna and Shovel Knight!

linkboy

A Wal Mart by my work has 6 Pro Controllers.........so tempted, but damn that sticker price.

I more then got my money's worth with this controller. Was only planning on using the Joycon's until the one I ordered from Amazon Japan came in.

Ended up picking the last one up from Best Buy on Friday and I totally fell in love with this controller.

What's going make it even better is when it gets supported as an Xinput device on Windows. It'll replace my Wii U Pro Controller as my standard PC Controller, as well as my controller for my Shield TV.

Appleman

Finally tried playing with headphones on my commute today... at least with the headphones I'm using (standard Apple EarPods), Zelda's not feeding me all of the game audio?

With docked or switch built in speakers, I get the full soundscape, but with headphones I'm just getting mostly music with hardly any soundFX... anybody else hearing this? I'll check with a different pair of headphones tonight

linkboy

I went and ordered this to see if I can get it to work with my Bluetooth headphones.

It should be coming in sometime today and I'll post my impressions when it does.

Still pissed that Nintendo didn't add Bluetooth audio support.

Question about save files: My friend borrowed a Switch with Zelda, could she start the game on this console and then bring over that save file (via SD card for instance) to another console in the future? Where are the saves files stored?

Question about save files: My friend borrowed a Switch with Zelda, could she start the game on this console and then bring over that save file (via SD card for instance) to another console in the future? Where are the saves files stored?

Save files are internal with no method for transfer right now.

That could change but we have no idea.

Goodlife

At the moment they are just stored on the console, with no way to transfer.
Hopefully this will change soon

Nintendo is keeping kids in mind. Scratches on a screen are less offensive than a shattered screen.

It seems like 50% of the time whenever I see a teen with an iPhone the screen is shattered. Glass screens feel premium but I have to wonder if it's really the best choice for devices that you're carrying around with you that are very prone to being dropped or stepped on.

Save files are internal with no method for transfer right now.

That could change but we have no idea.

At the moment they are just stored on the console, with no way to transfer.
Hopefully this will change soon

I doubt it will change... they never fixed it on the Wii U. I think they promised cloud saves but that's probably with a subscription and I doubt they'll be transferrable to other systems.

hwy_61

Banned
Finally tried playing with headphones on my commute today... at least with the headphones I'm using (standard Apple EarPods), Zelda's not feeding me all of the game audio?

With docked or switch built in speakers, I get the full soundscape, but with headphones I'm just getting mostly music with hardly any soundFX... anybody else hearing this? I'll check with a different pair of headphones tonight

Just plugged in some Samsung phone earbuds and everything is coming through. Have you tried quitting the game completely? Maybe do a system restart too.

Not

Banned
I love this thing so much. Even Breath of the Wild is slowly overwhelming me less, and I feel like I could spend weeks with it and not get bored.

Skipping the Wii U was the best decision regarding video games I EVER made

I doubt it will change... they never fixed it on the Wii U. I think they promised cloud saves but that's probably with a subscription and I doubt they'll be transferrable to other systems.

Didn't Wii-U allow you to at least back up saves via an external HDD? I seem to remember being able to move them, but I didn't know if that meant you could use them on another system.

Appleman

Just plugged in some Samsung phone earbuds and everything is coming through. Have you tried quitting the game completely? Maybe do a system restart too.

Yeah, I actually did a full "Turn Off" and it still had the issue when I came back... I'll try a new set of cans and report back, kinda bizarre though.

linkboy

I love this thing so much. Even Breath of the Wild is slowly overwhelming me less, and I feel like I could spend weeks with it and not get bored.

Skipping the Wii U was the best decision regarding video games I EVER made

While the Wii U isn't Nintendo's best console, there's still some great games on it. I don't regret my purchase one bit.

It's also, along with the 3DS, the reason why my son loves video games.

I'd love to see some Wii U games (in addition to Mario Kart and the eventual Smash Bros port) get ported over to the Switch. Games like Captain Toad are to good to leave on the Wii U.

Brizzo24

Love my Switch, and glad I made the decision to go all-in for Zelda BotW. Such a gorgeous game, and so filled with life. It truly is remarkable.

I was previously experiencing some horrendous framerate issues, but then I was able to finally connect my Switch online at my local coffee shop and download the latest firmware for the hardware, as well as the "patch?" for Zelda.

I predominantly (only) play Zelda on my big screen--a 50' Vizio set in Game Mode, just like all my other consoles. There's no lag, the color looks gorgeous, no true-motion, etc. Basically, the ideal set up. Question I have now: the game runs better than it did before, after the patch, but I still have slight performance issues. That's normal, I understand?

Does anyone go to the settings on the switch and change the TV output to 720p vs. automatic or 1080p. It might be the placebo effect, but when I changed the TV output to 720p the game ran better, and I think that's because the Switch is only capable of 720p native resolution. It actually upscales to 900p for Zelda on the TV, but that might be causing framerate issues? Any advice on that, or am I merely being crazy?

Salaadin

I hate being "that guy" because I usually research things myself but I was wondering if anyone had a link to the ideal micro SD card for the switch? Fast speeds, lots of space, etc. I really think the switch is going to be my digital indie box. I love it so I need the space.

Love my Switch, and glad I made the decision to go all-in for Zelda BotW. Such a gorgeous game, and so filled with life. It truly is remarkable.

I was previously experiencing some horrendous framerate issues, but then I was able to finally connect my Switch online at my local coffee shop and download the latest firmware for the hardware, as well as the "patch?" for Zelda.

I predominantly (only) play Zelda on my big screen--a 50' Vizio set in Game Mode, just like all my other consoles. There's no lag, the color looks gorgeous, no true-motion, etc. Basically, the ideal set up. Question I have now: the game runs better than it did before, after the patch, but I still have slight performance issues. That's normal, I understand?

Does anyone go to the settings on the switch and change the TV output to 720p vs. automatic or 1080p. It might be the placebo effect, but when I changed the TV output to 720p the game ran better, and I think that's because the Switch is only capable of 720p native resolution. It actually upscales to 900p for Zelda on the TV, but that might be causing framerate issues? Any advice on that, or am I merely being crazy?

I believe the game still renders at 900p in docked mode, and the Switch up/down-scales it to whatever setting you chose. Performance will always be the same. Out of the dock though, it renders in 720p, which explains the difference in performance in handheld mode.

Didn't Wii-U allow you to at least back up saves via an external HDD? I seem to remember being able to move them, but I didn't know if that meant you could use them on another system.

No... you could copy the games with the save data to the HDD, but it's still tied to the system. Even on the same system if you did a factory reset, the saves on the HDD would be invalidated and unusable.

I hate being "that guy" because I usually research things myself but I was wondering if anyone had a link to the ideal micro SD card for the switch? Fast speeds, lots of space, etc. I really think the switch is going to be my digital indie box. I love it so I need the space.

This seems to be the best value going right now.

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD for $73 US on Amazon.

It's in my system now and seems to work fine but I imagine it'll be quite some time before I've put a dent in the available storage.

I'm expecting the Zelda cartridge will be in my system for the rest of the year with every other purchase being digital.

No... you could copy the games with the save data to the HDD, but it's still tied to the system. Even on the same system if you did a factory reset, the saves on the HDD would be invalidated and unusable.

Ah... I was afraid of that being the case. Really hoping they can at least implement the 3DS solution down the line. I'm honestly not surprised that this feature missed launch. Outside of hardware defects and losing/breaking devices, you shouldn't have any real need to move your save data.

I 100% agree that a way to back up saves is nice/necessary in the long run. However, I could see Nintendo considering the hybrid form factor their way to make this a lower priority.

Didn't take my Switch with me today because my carrying case isn't in yet, now I'm here on lunch break just wanting to play some Zelda.

I have a serious urge to play Zelda right now, but I need a better case. I was convinced that the Zelda: Master Edition one would be good enough, but it's too big! It'll be my go-to for longer trips due to the room for games/accessories, but I need someone smaller for day to day. Gonna grab one of the "Premium" cases at Gamestop after work so I'm not hauling around a small lunch box daily.

0racle

Hey guys,

I have some confusion with my system as I just set it up.

- what is the USB for on the dock?

- how should I power down my system? hold for 3 seconds and completly turn off? press once to sleep?

-what happens to the unit when its completed its charging cycle IN the dock? I noticed I turned mine 100% off, but it woke up when I docked it to charge.

im basically just concerned with how power is allocated and controlled in all the various modes.

//DEVIL//

I am very intertested to hear about everyone switch console. Did you see any defects ? Did you exchange it ? Do you see any dead pixels or screen light bleed or out of the box scratches or wifi problems ? Heating problem ?

My unit is perfect (knock on wood) i thought i had a very slight light bleed but i no longer see it. So either i was imagining things or i am going blind )

Other than that the wifi signal is not very strong. If i am 3 meters away from the device i get 2 out of 3 bars. But i never diconnected me while i am home so i am ok i guess ?

Otherwise its a perfect console and i dont want to exchange it for different one that might have the same wifi issue but with a bad screen since i am very very very ocd when it comes to dead pixels or uneven lighting or screen light bleed

Coda

Hey guys,

I have some confusion with my system as I just set it up.

- what is the USB for on the dock?

- how should I power down my system? hold for 3 seconds and completly turn off? press once to sleep?

-what happens to the unit when its completed its charging cycle IN the dock? I noticed I turned mine 100% off, but it woke up when I docked it to charge.

im basically just concerned with how power is allocated and controlled in all the various modes.

USB is for charging or just simply plugging in controllers such as the Pro Controller. I think holding will completely power it off, I actually like sleep mode with this console though.

0racle

USB is for charging or just simply plugging in controllers such as the Pro Controller. I think holding will completely power it off, I actually like sleep mode with this console though.

does sleep mode slowly drain the battery? how do you power down the system and joy-cons when in docked mode?

Coda

does sleep mode slowly drain the battery? how do you power down the system and joy-cons when in docked mode?

It does drain the battery slighty, I had it in rest mode one night and when I woke up in the morning the battery only dropped about 2-4 percent.

Zedark

I am very intertested to hear about everyone switch console. Did you see any defects ? Did you exchange it ? Do you see any dead pixels or screen light bleed or out of the box scratches or wifi problems ? Heating problem ?

My unit is perfect (knock on wood) i thought i had a very slight light bleed but i no longer see it. So either i was imagining things or i am going blind )

Other than that the wifi signal is not very strong. If i am 3 meters away from the device i get 2 out of 3 bars. But i never diconnected me while i am home so i am ok i guess ?

Otherwise its a perfect console and i dont want to exchange it for different one that might have the same wifi issue but with a bad screen since i am very very very ocd when it comes to dead pixels or uneven lighting or screen light bleed
I have had no issues with my Switch except for the wifi never reaching three bars and getting 1 bar when on the top floor of my house. I think the wifi thing is a general issue, though not a big one in many cases (as in, it still works well enough in most cases).

Salaadin

This seems to be the best value going right now.

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD for $73 US on Amazon.

It's in my system now and seems to work fine but I imagine it'll be quite some time before I've put a dent in the available storage.

I'm expecting the Zelda cartridge will be in my system for the rest of the year with every other purchase being digital.
Thank you very much

Pejo

I wish Mario Kart Deluxe was a launch title. That battle mode is gonna be a ton of fun with friends. I kinda wish there were more games I wanted at the moment, but shit, I don't see Zelda leaving the system for quite some time yet.

I got a birthday month coupon from Nintendo for the e-Shop, I'm back and forth on picking up Shovel Knight. I already have it on PC, but it'd be fun to play on the Switch too.

Cone on guys, someone test out RGB settings. Does switching full limited or auto do anything at all?

Mines borked.

Mine works fine on my VT60 > Soundbar > Switch.

I have my TV set to Auto, switch to auto, and it's definitely defaulting to 'full'

When i get the chance, I can try it on my LCD to see if it works there

DjRalford

Roh oh, my daughter just had her first hard lockup from trying to quit snipperclips.

Had to do a hard reboot of the system and nothing is showing on the error log.

Mine works fine on my VT60 > Soundbar > Switch.

I have my TV set to Auto, switch to auto, and it's definitely defaulting to 'full'

When i get the chance, I can try it on my LCD to see if it works there
Hmmm okay thanks. When you change the setting though does it actually change? Any screen flicker or color change?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... can't find a carrying case for this thing. I ordered the RDS Industries case and got an update from Amazon today saying it won't ship for a month or more...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9JB2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My local Best Buy and Toys R Us were completely cleaned out and it looks like good cases are being sold for twice the price by 3rd parties on Amazon now. This sucks.

Has there not been a PR release from Nintendo about the launch? I'm curious about the numbers. My local Best Buy was packed at midnight for launch and they had a ton of units available.

Ummmmm I'm kinda annoyed with the eShop right now.

My Nintendo account is tied to Belgium, which is where I live and I prefer my system language to be English. However when I access the eShop it defaults to French without an option to change it... Am I doing something wrong? If I put my Switch to Dutch, the eShop is Dutch. Any other language, it defaults to French. What? This is frustrating.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait, the screenshots album is shared for all the users? That's not nice when playing the same game in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom