• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)
After having it in my hands and playing with it... It's a damn portable. But it's a 2027 portable. K think the word has negative connotations which is why people are avoiding it... Which is fair, this thing is in every way a capable home console, but when you realize the brains of it fit in your hands.. the dock is just a hollow peice of plastic... You realize... Holy shit it's actually a portable!

I dunno if I'm describing that right. I have a 3ds and used it like 10 times max and thought portables just weren't for me... Switch proves me wrong.

Damn... can't find a carrying case for this thing. I ordered the RDS Industries case and got an update from Amazon today saying it won't ship for a month or more...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9JB2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My local Best Buy and Toys R Us were completely cleaned out and it looks like good cases are being sold for twice the price by 3rd parties on Amazon now. This sucks.

I wonder if the Rds ones they currently have available for preorder will ship before the regular ones

Soroc

Something I noticed today.

So I created a second account (Japan) to download Dragon Quest Heroes Demo. Since creating that account, even when logged in under my North American account the "Game News" section now lists all news for North America and Japan (with the Japanese news in Japanese). Its become really messy and I'm guessing will be even messier as things ramp up and there is more to talk about. Am I missing something or is this something we just have to deal with?

joesiv

is everyone else's Switch LCD screen slightly off center? It's strange, and it doesn't affect anything, but mine seems placed/glued slightly to the left. Like the pixels are right touching the mask on the left, but on the right there is a pixel or two gap. Seemed odd. no dead/stuck pixels for me however, which is nice.

dragoncdf

so just got my switch. ordered it friday from best buy. no game because i order zelda special edition from toysrus and won't be here till wednesday. so i'm setting it up and got it connected to the internet and did the system update but everytime i go to eshop it gives an error. even setting up the parental control app did but got that to work.can't get eshop to load. tried internet test and get an error there. i'm in the same room as the modem.

Seik

Banned
so just got my switch. ordered it friday from best buy. no game because i order zelda special edition from toysrus and won't be here till wednesday. so i'm setting it up and got it connected to the internet and did the system update but everytime i go to eshop it gives an error. even setting up the parental control app did but got that to work.can't get eshop to load. tried internet test and get an error there. i'm in the same room as the modem.

Did you do a full reset after the update?

Wallach

Guess I'll ask this here - is there any kind of data written to the Switch carts, or are they actually read-only? I ask because I had to buy a standard copy of Zelda to play on launch day thanks to Amazon, and with my Master Edition finally arriving today I was curious if I could just swap carts and continue playing my save so the standard copy could be given on to someone else.

Guess I'll ask this here - is there any kind of data written to the Switch carts, or are they actually read-only? I ask because I had to buy a standard copy of Zelda to play on launch day thanks to Amazon, and with my Master Edition finally arriving today I was curious if I could just swap carts and continue playing my save so the standard copy could be given on to someone else.

Cards are RO

ViciousDS

Banned
My god

I can't go back to the joycons after how amazing the Pro controller is. I feel like the analog sticks alone are an insane upgrade. It feels so accurate and smooth compared to some of the jerkiness on the joycons due to the smaller radius

linkboy

The carts are read only, the save data is stored to your console.

Any confirmations on good alternatives to the official Nintendo AC adapter for the dock?

I'm a little confused trying to find out what's compatible or not

My god

I can't go back to the joycons after how amazing the Pro controller is. I feel like the analog sticks alone are an insane upgrade. It feels so accurate and smooth compared to some of the jerkiness on the joycons due to the smaller radius

If the pro controller didn't have motion controls built in for gyro aiming it'd be tough for me to choose. But it does.

Pro controller is god-tier. This is as someone who loves the joycons, too.

linkboy

did the restart and still nothing.

Go the Settings, System and then Initialize.

The very last option is initialize console. That should do a factory reset on the system. Sadly, if you have any saved data, it'll get erased (another reason why we need the option to transfer data), but it might fix your issue.

This menu is also where you go to format an SD card.

If the pro controller didn't have motion controls built in for gyro aiming it'd be tough for me to choose. But it does.

Definitely looking forward to picking one of these up at some point. Can't justify it yet since I play almost exclusively in handheld mode.

Joy cons in tabletop mode with the separated controllers feels so amazing.

I can't wait to play an Ace Attorney or some other visual novels with this set up.

Wait, the screenshots album is shared for all the users? That's not nice when playing the same game in parallel.
It's like that with the PS4. I can see the screenshots my brother, a different account, has taken while on my own.

I'm at school now and after class I'm going to try this out in the library. I'll look everyone in the eyes and say, "Zelda on the go bitches."

BriGuy

Amazon finally delivered my original launch day Switch, but they sent a neon instead of the grey I ordered. What the hell is with them and this launch? Doesn't matter though; I picked up a grey unit yesterday and my Pro controller arrived today too. I probably won't touch the joycons again - this thing is legit.

Does the packaging for the switch mention 1080p anywhere clearly visible? because i've heard 3 or 4 streamers now mention that the switch can only do 900p then upscales... which is wrong outside of zelda being a 900p game.

No, but it's worth noting the overall Switch UI is rendered at 720p.

That doesn't make the streamers correct, but it may be where some of the confusion is coming from.

Interesting that you can't use any other AC Adapter with the dock, though I know you can use a phone charger that uses USB-C with it undocked, but after an hour or so of play while plugged in (maybe two? I didn't count) my system's battery was at 50%. I don't know if using the official adapter would have made any difference though.

Monger

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

I think it just depends on the game, so definitely hybrid.

Zelda plays well as a portable and a console game, but I much prefer to play it on the tv. The size of the world and the amount of detail just play better on a large screen for me.

Now with snipperclips I had the Switch out on the kickstand and while people were playing that some other friends were playing the vive mirrored on my tv and it was absolutely fantastic that way. I can see hanging out playing Snipperclips in tablet mode while listening to music.

Runner 3 isn't out yet but I loved Runner 2 on the Wii U controller so I can see myself playing that in mostly portable
Mode.

MrFlooD

Interesting that you can't use any other AC Adapter with the dock, though I know you can use a phone charger that uses USB-C with it undocked, but after an hour or so of play while plugged in (maybe two? I didn't count) my system's battery was at 50%. I don't know if using the official adapter would have made any difference though.

Yes, the official adapter can charge while playing undocked. You can find 3rd party power bricks that can do this as well.

What is the power rating of your brick? I believe it needs to be min. 5V/2.4A to charge while playing.

Azriell

I'm looking at SD cards and trying to make a decision. How important are read/write speeds on these cards? It seems like it'd be worth it to buy a faster class of card, especially if you're going mostly digital. However I also just became acquainted with how expensive some of these cards are. I originally assumed I would be buying some massive card, but now I'm looking more in the 200+ GB range.

I guess what I'm asking is, if a card has a r/w speed that's 2x faster than another card, would you expect to see digital games load twice as fast? Do we know if there's a cap on the read speed of the SD card reader Nintendo went with?

ViciousDS

Banned

That's the best part not only can you be uber accurate with the analog but you can make the fine adjustment in tune so well with your natural aim. The pro controller is a god tier controller!

dragoncdf

Go the Settings, System and then Initialize.

The very last option is initialize console. That should do a factory reset on the system. Sadly, if you have any saved data, it'll get erased (another reason why we need the option to transfer data), but it might fix your issue.

This menu is also where you go to format an SD card.

that didn't help. now i'm stuck at account sign in.

Coda

Just got my Pro Controller from Amazon Japan. Basically I agree with everyone about it. It's a great feeling controller and I really like the look of it.

linkboy

I'm looking at SD cards and trying to make a decision. How important are read/write speeds on these cards? It seems like it'd be worth it to buy a faster class of card, especially if you're going mostly digital. However I also just became acquainted with how expensive some of these cards are. I originally assumed I would be buying some massive card, but now I'm looking more in the 200+ GB range.

I guess what I'm asking is, if a card has a r/w speed that's 2x faster than another card, would you expect to see digital games load twice as fast? Do we know if there's a cap on the read speed of the SD card reader Nintendo went with?

200GB Sandisk MicroSD Card

I own two of these cards, one for a Sony Walkman and the other for my Switch. I've had the one for my Walkman since July and it's worked great. This is pretty much the best GB to dollar ratio for an SD card for the Switch.

that didn't help. now i'm stuck at account sign in.

Is it not letting you create an account?

littledipster

Neo Member
Haven't looked through all of this thread so I don't know if it was mentioned, but does anyone else's game slot not close properly? The little cover of mine always pokes out and won't stay down. Is there any way to fix this?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
My god

Bought one at Target today so can't wait to get home from work to try it. Not a fan of the joycons as primary controllers.

BFIB

You guys are killing me. My Wal Mart has a Pro in stock, but I'm trying to justify that cost on top what I've already spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom