• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This is annoying me now!

Joy cons off switch
Ztoybvh.jpg

joy con on switch
66mJw28.jpg

Why is the left joy con showing a full charged and the right not?

dragoncdf

200GB Sandisk MicroSD Card

I own two of these cards, one for a Sony Walkman and the other for my Switch. I've had the one for my Walkman since July and it's worked great. This is pretty much the best GB to dollar ratio for an SD card for the Switch.

Is it not letting you create an account?
it finally let me link my account after a couple tries. then a couple more tries to get the eshop to load. not sure what the problem was.

Clockwork

Well, I did it. I returned my neon Switch, Pro Controller, and Zelda to Walmart. They didn't even ask any questions when doing so. They just scanned everything and that was that.

I was concerned that they would not accept a return on Zelda but that was not an issue. The only comment the customer service person made was that they sure wasted a lot of plastic making that case for such a small game card.

Lol.

I'll be back after Nintendo sorts out some of the flaws.

0racle

I am confused.

1) if the main tablet is 100% off and not in sleep mode. does it ALWAYS turn on and go to sleep mode when you dock it?

2) How do I manually turn the joy-cons on and off when connected to the "holder"?

3) In the holder, is it normal just to have the right side of the holder light up? not both sides on the holder ( the green light )

4) how are you supposed to turn on the system and play docked and turn off the system when docked? you have to hit the button on the tablet? how do I turn off the joycons or will they turn off when the system is in sleep?

so confused...

linkboy

For anyone who wants to use Bluetooth headphones with the Switch, take a look at something like what's pictured above (it has to be a transmitter, the $10 Bluetooth receiver's won't work, the one linked below is capable of being both, which is why it costs more).

I bought this off of Amazon and other then it sticking out of the top of the system, it works great.

It's not the ideal way to use Bluetooth headphones (that would be Nintendo adding support for them in a firmware update), but it's more then functional.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's like that with the PS4. I can see the screenshots my brother, a different account, has taken while on my own.

If I read one more answer like "PS4 does/has/is the same" to whatever Switch related I will not help princess Zelda anymore.

I don't really give a shit what PS4 does, I don't have one, I don't plan on buying one.

I was just surprised that the album is shared as now I have to be careful not to spoil my girlfriend too much (as I'm further into Zelda BotW than her).

Devastus

Neo Member
Anyone else here having this issue with the right joy-con when attached in handheld mode? I can't seem to fix mine. I've already tried the methods on this page and still no luck.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Did any 3rd party so far announce/talk about a cheap Dock alternative when taking the thing to friends or something? Mine's pretty much fixed yet (except if I'll buy a spare ac adaptor), so it would be kinda nice when visiting family or something.

BizzyBum

Just to be sure, do I need to download Shovel Knight: SoT and Treasue Trove or does Treasure Trove have everything?

Soroc

Anyone else here having this issue with the right joy-con when attached in handheld mode? I can't seem to fix mine. I've already tried the methods on this page and still no luck.

I had this issue over the weekend. Easy fix was to remove the joycon from the system and press the sync button to turn the joycon off itself. Then when it was powered down, slide it back on the system until it clicks and then it should register it as connected again.

EDIT: to clarify, I had the issue only with the right joycon, but I took both joycons off the tablet and turned them both off and then slid them back on and once i heard the audible "click" sound from the speakers everythign worked again.

linkboy

Not sure if I'm a fan of the joycons in the adapter that came with the console. Maybe it's because I used the Pro Controller first, but it just feels a bit off. The joycons themselves feel fine. It'll be nice when my other Pro Controller arrives.

Devastus

Neo Member
I had this issue over the weekend. Easy fix was to remove the joycon from the system and press the sync button to turn the joycon off itself. Then when it was powered down, slide it back on the system until it clicks and then it should register it as connected again.

EDIT: to clarify, I had the issue only with the right joycon, but I took both joycons off the tablet and turned them both off and then slid them back on and once i heard the audible "click" sound from the speakers everythign worked again.

Thanks for the quick reply, sadly this method didn't work for me either. :(

The OP of the thread I linked just replied saying that they had to contact nintendo and they're having them send the Switch in for repair. I think I might have to do that as well.

zroid

Banned
Not sure if I'm a fan of the joycons in the adapter that came with the console. Maybe it's because I used the Pro Controller first, but it just feels a bit off. The joycons themselves feel fine. It'll be nice when my other Pro Controller arrives.

I prefer just holding the joycons without the grip tbh

i have small hands though, admittedly

How do we get the images we've captured off of the Switch?

Well if you save them to the MicroSD then I imagine you could get them directly off the card

otherwise post to social media I guess

Vibed

Are AmFilm screen protectors any good? Thinking of a Tempered Glass one for my Switch.

Edit: nvm there's the other thread

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Finally got delivered by Canada Post. Now the wait for a glass tempered screen protector, and figuring out what I want to do about Scratchy McScratch Scratch console base.

Wil348

Yep. I have a total of 4 joycons and one of the Red R ones feels significantly looser than the others. :/ good ol Nintendo quality control. :(

I just swapped the red R with the other one for handheld mode and it feels much better.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Sounds like I may just need to get another R joycon then.

PSFan

Will the USB port in the dock charge the Switch when it's undocked? I was thinking of trying to use the cable that came with my pro controller to charge it while it's undocked by plugging it in there.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Loving the Switch. Loving Zelda! Zelda is everything I have been dreaming of since OOT blew me away. This is my game of all time.

Joucon grip actually feels just fine for me, not too narrow like it is for some people . I've been playing with the grip which is strange because I love the freedom of the Wii more like setup, but I guess after months of playing 3DS and PS4 I've gotten used to the traditional controller set up.

The joy cons are tiny without the grip and take some getting used to but I do see myself eventually transitioning to using the joy cons without the grip because the freedom is better for my wrists.

Shove Knights is cool, got it from the Mexican E Shop for like 10 bucks which was nice. Played the first level and it is a really cool game. Since Zelda is my life now, Shovel Knights will have to wait.

Will be buying Snipper Clips in 2'weeks when the opportunity for multiplayer presents itself.

Great job so far Nintendo. Keep it up and I wish you success.

Must say it again, Zelda is the greatest game for me. What it is presenting is exactly what I've been looking for in gaming .

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The joycon straps (the plastic part, rather than the strap part (its a confusing name) are mean to be fractionally loose right? I'm talking a millimetre of movement at the bottom if you purposefully wiggle it.

I didn't somehow damage it the first time I forced them off?

The joycon straps (the plastic part, rather than the strap part (its a confusing name) are mean to be fractionally loose right? I'm talking a millimetre of movement at the bottom if you purposefully wiggle it.

I didn't somehow damage it the first time I forced them off?
Mine are uncomfortably tight. I've only ever put them on the right way. I was afraid I broke something the first time I tried to take them off they were so tight.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mine are uncomfortably tight. I've only ever put them on the right way. I was afraid I broke something the first time I tried to take them off they were so tight.

Yeah, it was really tight the first time I tried (I later learnt you don't need to hold down the release button when removing the straps so no idea if that had a negative effect). But I've done it a few times now to practise and it's not that hard to get them off. Also only put them on the right way.

I'm just hoping it isn't a sign I some how damaged them during that first struggle.

Bluenoser

Not sure if this has already been asked, but what are our options for sound when docked?

My current setup, due to hardware limitations, is to have all of my devices going directly to my TV through HDMI, then having optical audio cable out to my receiver. With my other devices (PS4, PS3, cable box) this results in Dolby Digital, or DTS, but with Switch, it's stuck on 2 channel pro-logic (simulated surround). Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to have to hook it up via HDMI to my receiver? (receiver only has 2 HDMI inputs or I would do it like this for all devices).

Edit, I should add that I don't have a game yet, so it's possible the menu is only in 2 channel, while a game would be full digital - I guess I can test that tomorrow when Zelda arrives.

Not sure if this has already been asked, but what are our options for sound when docked?

My current setup, due to hardware limitations, is to have all of my devices going directly to my TV through HDMI, then having optical audio cable out to my receiver. With my other devices (PS4, PS3, cable box) this results in Dolby Digital, or DTS, but with Switch, it's stuck on 2 channel pro-logic (simulated surround). Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to have to hook it up via HDMI to my receiver? (receiver only has 2 HDMI inputs or I would do it like this for all devices).

Edit, I should add that I don't have a game yet, so it's possible the menu is only in 2 channel, while a game would be full digital - I guess I can test that tomorrow when Zelda arrives.
Switch doesn't support DTS

jblank83

Pro controller just delivered (all the way from Japan in 4 days!). God, it's lovely. It really melts into the hands and feels solid, through and through. Gone is the shiny plastic of the Wii U Pro. In is a velvety matt texture.

All of the components feel great, as always. The buttons are huge and clicky. The triggers are really comfortable. My only complaint is that the sticks could be ever so slightly tighter, but that's really a minor concern. Oh, and best of all, fantastic d-pad.

I'm very happy with it and am looking forward to it, hopefully, getting full Steam support.

ColdPizza

Banned
You guys are killing me. My Wal Mart has a Pro in stock, but I'm trying to justify that cost on top what I've already spent.

Trust me. I winced when I bought it but it's well worth it, especially if you have larger hands or Joy Con connectivity issues.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Question:

Is it normal for the Switch to stop playing audio on the main menu if you don't do anything for a little while? In docked mode, if I stop fiddling with the controls for like a second, when I start navigating the menu again, it takes like 3 seconds for audio to start playing again. A little concerned my shit is fucked, but who knows.

DavidDesu

Seriously someone needs to make a stand to hold the Switch that can make it possible to suspend it facing down above me in bed. I'm not even joking.

I really have high hopes for this console, what a turnaround for Nintendo and for my thoughts about the company which have not been very high at all for some time. So glad I got mine during launch, I'm loving Zelda and excited about MK8 and Odyssey to come!

One minor gripe.. the headphones volume simply doesn't get loud enough. Thought it was underpowered driving my proper headphones but even with my earbuds it's just not loud enough. Needs a few more decibels...

Vibed

Mine already has a scratch on the screen :(((((

I'm getting a screen protector tonight until the tempered glass one comes in

And I happen to notice it when I'm feeling anxious and now I'm all extremely bothered and even more anxious over an gaming system. :(((

Mine already has a scratch on the screen :(((((

I'm getting a screen protector tonight until the tempered glass one comes in

And I happen to notice it when I'm feeling anxious and now I'm all extremely bothered and even more anxious over an gaming system. :(((
Sorry to hear that :(

Is it obvious?

Hawk269

Why wont the Switch stay in Sleep mode? I went to bed last night and I only use the Switch in the Dock. Came home from work today and my switch is turning itself on and off ever 5-10 seconds. When it turns on, it illuminates the screen and shows the fully charge icon, turns itself off then back on every 5-10 seconds. The only way to stop this is to do a complete power down of the system, which defeats the purpose of having a sleep mode.

The added issue is if you do power down the unit using the power button, turning on the controller does not turn on the system. It is a bizarre issue that makes no sense to me at all. And why in the hell is there no Power Off in the menu, all you get is a Sleep option.

The biggest issue is the first, if it is always docked it is always charged, not sure why it turns itself on every 5 seconds to show me a fully charge icon when I want the system to be in sleep mode.

It still sucks that you can't remove stories from the news feed from other regions. I don't know why but it bothers me having the Japanese on the lock screen.

Does the system intentionally not make clicking sounds as you navigate the home menu while docked? When portable it cheerily clicks away using the sticks to move around the menus, but docked, it almost never makes a sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom