• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstevens

Two friends who are very casual gamers and haven't bought a console in years just picked up switches. Anecdotal, but it seems like the public mindshare is in a good place.

NateDrake

Two friends who are very casual gamers and haven't bought a console in years just picked up switches. Anecdotal, but it seems like the public mindshare is in a good place.

An ex-gf of mine who hasn't owned a system since DS/Wii (I bought them for her) is interested in Switch. It doesn't indicate much but it does seem that the marketing is working to some degree. She didn't know a Wii U was even a thing.

Anecdotally speaking, a couple of people I know who don't play games seem to know what a Switch is based on them asking me if what I'm playing is one, though most don't seem interested beyond that or recoil a bit after asking about the price. The gimmick of the system doesn't seem to be of much note to them, though I remember the 3DS getting negative impressions for its gimmick from my non gamer friends ("The 3D really hurts my eyes" was and still is common for me to hear) and it still sold rather well after that price drop. I think non gamers simply being aware that it's an actual thing, which wasn't the case for Wii U, bodes well for Nintendo.

Ragnamith

Anyone ever feels a very slight clicking/ticking on the joycons while playing in handheld mode?
Kinda feels like they're not attached 100%. It's very slight and doesn't really bother me but wondered if it's a defect or not.
Specifically noticing it when I reach for the - or + buttons.

To be fair I can't really expect the connection to be 100% solid but still curious. (talking about the actual connection/click mechanic between the screen and joycons)

So my right joy con seems a bit weird. I jumped of a mountain in Zelda tried to glide and nothing on that side would respond. Put in in portable mode and it was fine, switched back and good to go. Then later it desynced and putting it in portable didn't work. I just played around with the sync button for a second.

Not a huge issue but will it only get worse? Is this similar to the left joy con issues? Or can this be fixed with a patch or something?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Brought 1-2 Switch into the office, and it was a riot.

I know the game isn't critically well recieved, but there is something to a bunch of silly minigames that brings people together.

I don't doubt that the game is fun with a group, but fuck the price. Once it hits $15-20, I'll buy it. Until then, I have no need for it.

Anyone ever feels a very slight clicking/ticking on the joycons while playing in handheld mode?
Kinda feels like they're not attached 100%. It's very slight and doesn't really bother me but wondered if it's a defect or not.
Specifically noticing it when I reach for the - or + buttons.

To be fair I can't really expect the connection to be 100% solid but still curious. (talking about the actual connection/click mechanic between the screen and joycons)

I've held two Switches and that seems to be the norm. They are just on rails; I imagine they wouldn't want a 100% tight fit by the nature of torquing the device when playing games.

AdanVC

An ex-gf of mine who hasn't owned a system since DS/Wii (I bought them for her) is interested in Switch. It doesn't indicate much but it does seem that the marketing is working to some degree. She didn't know a Wii U was even a thing.

Lot's of people here in Mexico are getting a Switch despite being $480 dollars. They all show off on facebook while playing Zelda and everyone jokes around of being jealous of them and stuff. NEVER saw something like that during the Wii U days. Not even when Mario Kart 8 or Smash U launched. Switch is hot right now.

sadromeo

The cover over the game cart slot on my Switch is sort of loose. Not too badly but it sometimes does not seem like it is fully closed.

Is anyone else's like this?

Laekon

How are games like Splatoon and Mario Kart for single players? I got a Switch without thinking much when they became available on Amazon today only thinking about Zelda. But now looking around I don't see all that many games that look good or I haven't already played. Is Xenoblade 2 actually confirmed?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's a big leap to make, but I wonder if - while mobile gaming may impact some peoples' desire to buy a dedicated portable gaming machine - it may actually seed the interest levels of others who will then be attracted by the idea of portability + a 'proper' console

FaintDeftone

Does anyone have any issues with the Switch not going into sleep mode automatically?

Twice I have taken my Switch off of the dock in the morning, placed it in my protective case, throw it in my backpack and take it to work with me. On my lunch break I'll pull it out and the battery is dead and the case is hot inside. Come to find out when the Switch is powered on after removing it from the dock, it won't put itself into sleep mode after inactivity and will just sit and drain.

I checked my settings and it is suppose to auto sleep after 10min. WTF? Now I can't play the Splatoon test fire because my Switch is dead. Guess I'll have to catch tonight's.

Tubie

Finally was able to buy a Switch today (Best Buy). I'm impressed with how light and comfortable this thing is. I can see myself using this as a handheld more than in TV mode.

This is my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube, so I'm excited for all of the games I've missed for a long time like Zelda, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.

jrDev

What is going on? I haven't been able to connect my switch to any internet since last night. Keep getting error code, "unable to initiate connection". Anyone else?

So strange, it looks like I suddenly have scratches on my amFilm screen protector. I'm 99.9999 percent sure when I installed it 2 weeks ago the install was flawless, so I don't think it's dust particles under the screen. How in the world does that happen?

Alienous

God dammit. I've waited weeks for this tempered glass screen protector, it arrives, the application is going perfectly but in the top left corner of the screen, just left of where the battery symbol displays, a spec of something got caught between the protector and the screen.

It's like having a faint fraction of a dead pixel permanently there. So close to being off of the screen. The application elsewhere is near flawless.

Ah man.

I'm wrapping up a 7 day trip away from home. I have to say, even with just Zelda, this has been the best portable gaming experience for me in ages.

I used to play handhelds a lot growing up but would be lying if I said I prefer it to TV play in any way but I appreciate the option that the Switch offers as it's literally the same game/save file/position where you left off. With this, and Zelda, in mind I purchased the system thinking I'd occasionally use it undocked.

Between plane flights, long bus rides, and winding down in the afternoon though I've easily put 20+ hours of play time on this thing this week and it has been great. The busses had power outlets and in the plane I hooked it up to my year+ old EasyACC power bank (not a USB-C device) and at 75%-ish brightness the Switch power indicator never went down and the bank was only down 25%-ish power after 6 hours of plane flight (most of which was playing Zelda).

Cant really vouch for the Switch as a commute device but as travel device, it's great.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just got my Switch. Attempting to connect to the eShop...I enter my credentials and get the following error:

Error Code: 2124-5002

An error has occured.
Please try again later.

Tried setting DNS manually to Google DNS as suggested by others, but that didn't do anything. Help. :(

Interfectum

Just got my Switch. Attempting to connect to the eShop...I enter my credentials and get the following error:

An error has occured.
Please try again later.

Tried setting DNS manually to Google DNS as suggested by others, but that didn't do anything. Help. :(

Restart your Switch.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
are they not stocking neon units anywhere anymore?

Didn't they announce the neon as a launch-only variant? I could've sworn they said that during the January video/livestream, at the very end, which was part of why I ordered a neon system... I have to admit I have ended up liking the looks of it more than I expected to.
(Just skimmed the video and maybe I misunderstood at the time, that said I'm glad I did and got the neon..)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Didn't they announce the neon as a launch-only variant? I could've sworn they said that during the January video/livestream, at the very end,

Not to my knowledge. Neon and Gray are just the two available versions of the system. Think Black and Indigo at the Gamecube launch.

correojon

I just got my Switch, connected to wifi, downloaded the update real fast (2 min), but I've been unable to enter the eshop yet. I enter my account information and when trying to log in get error message 2124-5002. I've restarted several times, tried logging in with my Nintendo Account, email...to no avail.
Any help?

abbyabs

I just got my Switch, connected to wifi, downloaded the update real fast (2 min), but I've been unable to enter the eshop yet. I enter my account information and when trying to log in get error message 2124-5002. I've restarted several times, tried logging in with my Nintendo Account, email...to no avail.
Any help?

An error has occured.
Please try again later.

I have just got my switch and can't log in either getting the exact same error?! Restarting the switch does not help.
I have tried logging in with my Nintendo ID and email address no luck...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Out of curiosity: Do the screenshots you can take look super muddy for everybody? Or are they being compressed when I post them on Twitter? Took a couple of really cool shots in Zelda but they look terrible on my monitor.

Majora

I think something is up with the online service at the moment (maybe because of the Splatoon 2 test). Keep getting error messages when trying to watch videos, can't get into the shop, testing connection in the settings often doesn't work.

Had it since launch and never had all these problems with it.

sadromeo

Just had a blast playing Splatoon 2, can't wait until it comes out.

Same here. That was an amazing demo. It was great playing docked mode with a TV and when the next demo time rolls around, I am going to try it in handheld mode. Then the next time, tabletop mode.

But the gameplay was fluid, the mechanics worked great and most of all it was a lot of fun.

NeoRausch

Probably be answered a million times, but:

Got my switch today and it won't connect to the internet at all. Tried 2.4 and tried 5.

Shut off the security completely to download the firmware update (and the Zelda update) and still no dice.

What's up with that?

TheExodu5

Banned
Well there goes my plan to buy games digitally on the Switch...

Not surprised Nintendo can't get their act together. And they want to charge for this online "service"?

Kudo

Out of curiosity: Do the screenshots you can take look super muddy for everybody? Or are they being compressed when I post them on Twitter? Took a couple of really cool shots in Zelda but they look terrible on my monitor.

They're heavily compressed the moment you capture it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom