• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
You guys just reminded me that I absolutely need Graceful Explosion Machine. That video on the E-shop makes it look really good.

Anyone that bought it can share if it's as good as it seems to be?

What games does everyone have?

I just have zelda and snippet clips now.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
King of Fighters 98
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Fast RMX
Snipperclips Demo
Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo
Splatoon 2 Global Testfire

I'm getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at the end of the month, maybe some more NeoGeo fighting games as well.

MsVirion

Banned
Zelda: BOTW
Super Bomberman R
Fast RMX
Waku Waku 7
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+

is what I have so far, with preorders for Mariokart 8 Deluxe and Cave Story+

Could it be that there are some errors in the display of the energy status?

I played the Switch in docked mode with joy con grip.
Ingame I got the info that both joy cons need to be reloaded. On the grip both first lights were on and in the system info of the Switch itself it said that the joy cons had 50% energy each.
Five minutes later both joy cons turned off and needed to be reloaded.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I only have Zelda right now. Considering buying I am Setsuna, but not sure yet. I think I might go read old GAF threads on it for some impressions.

Since I finished Zelda I'm back to playing my 3DS right now. Still didn't quite finish all the games I want to play on it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
WTF. The Switch version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is 54.99$ CAD in online stores compared to 39.99$ CAD for the PS4 version. Goddamn exchange rate.

Oreoleo

Could it be that there are some errors in the display of the energy status?

I played the Switch in docked mode with joy con grip.
Ingame I got the info that both joy cons need to be reloaded. On the grip both first lights were on and in the system info of the Switch itself it said that the joy cons had 50% energy each.
Five minutes later both joy cons turned off and needed to be reloaded.
Has this happened to anyone else?

The lights on the controller are for Player 1-4, it's not a battery indicator.

Nesther

Only got Zelda and Snipperclips, but been playing a LOT of the Puyo Puyo demo with my SO, so good that the game has unlimited plays.

So that and MK8 will be bought once I can buy them on the eshop.

Still waiting on a 1-2 Switch and Bomberman sale, kinda want them, nut the price is too steep.

RAWRferal

So is anyone else pleasantly surprised by the battery life on this thing? I think this is the first time where a manufacturer has actually quoted realistic times.

MAX PAYMENT

I'm impressed at the number of games everyone has.

I think I'll wait for Mario kart, even though switch fever has me wanting to buy up a bunch of neogeo games and eshop stuff.

Vena

Let's see, this is my catalog right now:

1. Zelda - Done.
  2. Binding of Isaac - Done-ish, I am done for now with 13 endings.
  3. I Am Setsuna - Done.
  4. Graceful Explosion Machine - Done. S/S+ most everything.
  5. Snake Pass - Done.
  6. Voez - Still going, lots of songs.
  7. Kamiko - Done. Short and sweet gem of a game.

EDIT: Oh, right, I have Snipperclips too.

Faiz

Just Zelda. It's slow going for me. Had it maybe three weeks and only up to about 16 shrines.

Might get Wonder Boy if people think it plays fine with the analog stick after it comes out.

I just have Zelda. I am looking for a game to play with my fiancé. We are going to try out the Snipperclips demo this weekend. If we don't like it, then maybe I will grab 1 2 Switch for us.

Probably passing on MK8. I just played so much of it on the Wii U.

Omerta

I've got Zelda, Shovel Knight and Snake Pass...

I have promised myself that I'm not going to make the same mistake I made with the Vita i.e. buy literally everything all at once :)

I just have Zelda. I am looking for a game to play with my fiancé. We are going to try out the Snipperclips demo this weekend. If we don't like it, then maybe I will grab 1 2 Switch for us.

Probably passing on MK8. I just played so much of it on the Wii U.

Please download the Puyo/Tetris demo.

I was trying to figure out a competitive game for my wife (very casual gamer) and I to play, this ended up being a winner and now I'm counting the days for when the game is released.

xJavonta

Banned

Zelda and 1 2 Switch

Kinda regret paying $50 for 1 2 Switch, but it was a spur of the moment thing

Edit: damn how do y'all have time to play all these games? Between work, school, and life responsibilities I can maybe get around 15-20 hours in a week to play (including commute/travel time). And that's split up amongst the Switch and PS4

Lizardus

Got Zelda, Snipperclips, Graceful Explosion Machine, Human Resource Machine and Snake Pass.

Hoping for a Shovel Knight physical release with the last expansion, would be amazing.

Edit: damn how do y'all have time to play all these games? Between work, school, and life responsibilities I can maybe get around 15-20 hours in a week to play (including commute/travel time). And that's split up amongst the Switch and PS4

I'm involved with Switch Player; so though it's not my job, games get much more play time than they would otherwise.

That said, I'm still behind. Switch backlog confirmed.

I have Zelda and that's it. Well Snipperclips too, but I didn't buy that myself.

Next game will be either Mario Kart 8 (maybe at launch) or SFII (getting it for $25, couldn't pass that up)

That's what I wanted to read! :lol
it's really really fun but it's also super punishing, just warning you now :p

to get anywhere close to b rank or above you basically need to never take damage, and if you die at any point during a level your score resets to zero, even if you already reached a checkpoint.

but the gameplay and presentation is super addicting, someone compared it to a side scrolling bayonetta and i def feel it. you need to be constantly dodging and attacking but making sure your weapons have enough energy and also making sure that you are maintaining your combo and making sure that your position is good so you don't get swamped

it's really, really good.

Kudo

Quickly falling down the Splatoon rabbit hole, I need to find the amiibos before 2 somehow. Been playing the first one a lot after I got it when the Testfires ended and it's just so good.
Why isn't the OST in this game more highly praised? It's art.

baconcow

Binding of Isaac, The: Afterbirth+
Legend of Zelda, The: Breath of the Wild

Want:
- Blaster Master Zero
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Puyo Puyo Tetris

Interested in a few other indie games that are available or coming out, as well: WonderBoy: The Dragon's Trap, TumbleSeed, Minecraft: Switch Edition, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and Hollow Knight.

Zelda, SnipperClips, and Shovel Knight.

The price is kind of scaring me away, but I was thinking about getting Lego City Undercover since I missed out on it for the WiiU.
I mean...Open world games don't usually elicit feelings of great excitement from me and I'm often very critical of my favorite franchises dipping their toes into that kind of design philosophy.
However when I have absolutely no expectations and there is literally no attachment involved on my part, I'm a little more open to the genre's trappings.

At this point though, my next purchase will probably be MK8.
However I'm legitimately more excited to play stuff like Arms, Splatoon 2, and Sonic Mania at this point.
:p

DagsJT

I swear we only had a question asking what games people had a few pages ago. Then we get pages of people listing games which I imagine most people don't bother reading.

selo

Just Zelda and Fast RMX, plan to buy Mario Kart digitally :D. Still undecided on ARMS and Splatoon, I might or not buy them, depends on demos/reviews ( I did like the splatoon demo a bit, but i didn't get used to the controls during the trial period)

NimbusD

So the eshop is down right now right? Even though nintendos site says its up (going down for maintenance later today according to them though).

Last time this happened we got the charts updated. Any idea what we could get this time? (maybe a decent store front?)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My digital library:

Fast RMX
Graceful Explosion Machine
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snake Pass
Snipperclips: Cut it out, together
The Binding of Isaac
Super Bomberman R
Voez
1,2 Switch
World of Goo
Kof 98
Turf Master
Metal Slug 3

+ in the next 15 days:

Wonderboy 3
Samuraï Showdown 3
Puyo, Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Tumbleseed

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What's this? I haven't run across it in browsing Switch accessories before, and searching for Hori car stand I'm just finding their charger. At Reddit sometimes people will ask about an accessory like the one shown in the early trailers with Mario Kart, but I didn't think such a thing had actually yet been released for Switch.
Actually the brand is Subsonic, not Hori: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MS8F0E0/

jwk94

So the eshop is down right now right? Even though nintendos site says its up (going down for maintenance later today according to them though).

Last time this happened we got the charts updated. Any idea what we could get this time? (maybe a decent store front?)

eShop is up here in the US. Nothing new that I can see.

So for some reason my left joy con has lost almost all of its rumble functionality. I can still feel it buzzing very slightly, but nowhere near like it did before, or like the right joy con does. The discrepancy between left and right joy con is really annoying to the point where I chose to deactivate rumble in the system settings. Anyone experienced/heard of something like this?

jonno394

Physical:

I Am Setsuna (not started)
Lego City Undercover (half way through)
Skylanders Imaginators (not started, nieces have got up to level 3)
Super Bomberman R (world 3)
The Binding of Isaac (finished a handful of runs)
The Legend of Zelda; Breath of the Wild (80 hours in and taking a break)

Digital

Blaster Master Zero (last level)
Fast Racing RMX (finished easy mode)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (last level of Shovel campiagn)

April Planned

Mario Kart 8
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap

Meant to have more digital titles by now (Voez, Snake Pass, GEM, Human Resource Machine) but realised I have yet to even finish a single Switch game so far due to flitting between multiple games so often! Need to finish some before buying more.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Still loving my Switch so much.

The tabletop mode is so damn great. Split controller gaming on flights works amazing for more involved games.

k2HaVsL.jpg

And being able to do multiplayer at any time is phenomenal. Here's me and my wife playing Puyo Puyo Tetris head to head on our Easter break.

MWKBOna.jpg

Is anyone else's Joycons consistently draining/losing battery? Every time I turn on the system after a period of time they are both almost always in the red. I'm not sure if it's the carrying case moving them or what, but it's certainly annoying when you want to play MP and one of them is dead.

zigg

You guys just reminded me that I absolutely need Graceful Explosion Machine. That video on the E-shop makes it look really good.

Anyone that bought it can share if it's as good as it seems to be?

I posted about it in the downloads thread a little bit ago:

Got it a few days ago and I love it. I'm working through the first world trying to get at least B ranks on everything right now.

The competing forces of a main cannon that overheats if overused, energy requirements for your three aux weapons (energy sword, missiles, and the sniper for taking out big enemies from a distance), and the spawning of new enemies feels really well-balanced. I managed to combo an entire phase of a level once only to die later—it felt really good but also drove me to go back and try again immediately.

Disclaimer: I don't have a ton of experience with shooters, so maybe the genre has better. This one has got me right now though. Good stuff.

EDIT: Soundtrack is coming out soon too. https://robbyduguay.bandcamp.com/album/graceful-explosion-machine-original-soundtrack

The soundtrack hit Apple Music too: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/graceful-explosion-machine-original-game-soundtrack/id1225061847

But yeah, I'm not super good at it (I'm leaving a trail of mostly B ranks and I'm fighting my way though the second world yet) and I still like it.

A friend who bought it on my rec has not been happy with what he considers repetitiveness. He thought the levels would be scrollers instead of looping arenas. I'm not feeling that complaint—there is a pretty clear level progression as new enemies spawn and the levels reconfigure to give cover/block shots, and I think it's all very nicely designed—but YMMV. Some reviewers agreed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom