• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What the difference?

I don't know if they have different features but I thought the XB1/PS4 have much larger worlds (ps360 are quite small). I like exploring as much as building so would prefer a bigger world

Edit:
For the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, the PlayStation Vita and Wii U, the world size is limited to 864×864 blocks. Because the outer-most block is unusable on each side of the map, it is effectively 862×862 blocks that can be used. The worlds on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 can be up to 5120x5120.[18]

I'm certainly no Minecraft expert, or anything near it, but wasn't world size locked down based on RAM? If so, we should have (read: we could theoretically have) bigger worlds than what we saw on Wii U - which has half the RAM the Switch does.

Unless they half-ass it and just give us whatever fits with no tweaking; then yeah, it'll probably be the same as Wii U.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm certainly no Minecraft expert, or anything near it, but wasn't world size locked down based on RAM? If so, we should have (read: we could theoretically have) bigger worlds than what we saw on Wii U - which has half the RAM the Switch does.

Unless they half-ass it and just give us whatever fits with no tweaking; then yeah, it'll probably be the same as Wii U.

Think so. I'm hoping the change in architecture makes a port from XB1/PS4 possible

KingBroly

Banned
We know of everything releasing on Switch through July for Nintendo

So we have: Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey

For: August, September, October, November, December.

I feel like at least 3 more games are going to fill out that lineup.

Pasedo

Seriously I'm thinking about selling a gtx 1080 card I recently just got for my PC. I don't see it getting any use now that I have a Switch. It's just so much fun and I've realised that with my limited time these days I can sink more gaming into my Switch and don't really have the chance to sit in one spot to play gam es. Anyone else feeling the same way?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously I'm thinking about selling a gtx 1080 card I recently just got for my PC. I don't see it getting any use now that I have a Switch. It's just so much fun and I've realised that with my limited time these days I can sink more gaming into my Switch and don't really have the chance to sit in one spot to play gam es. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Not because of the switch, but I bought a 1080 to go with my vive and no longer have my vive. I have a 34" ultra wide monitor so a 1080 is great for that but I don't play that much on PC to justify it. Problem is I'd want at least a 1060 and once I've sold the 1080 I wouldn't save much money so might as well keep the 1080

I'm the same. I stopped buying consoles back in PS3/360/Wii era and focused primarily on handhelds because of time and convenience. Now that I've bought a Switch, I alternate quite a bit on using TV mode as well as playing on the go.

I'd be elated with three more games of a similar scale for this year in addition to those three. To be perfectly honest however I expect one or two at most, and then I'm still not sure about whether I will be able to buy Xenoblade 2 in European shops this year. That might just be the pessimist speaking in me.

Love my switch and Zelda, been playing it exclusively since launch and not touched my PS4. Yesterday i completed Zelda so now I can go back to my PS4 and Start Persona 5. Holy shit I can't get used to the PS4 controller again, it feels so clunky and the analog sticks feel so tall and feels like there is so much travel. I never had this problem before with the controller and thought it was one of the best controllers ever. I now realise the joy con with the grip is such a comfortable controller. Only thing it lacks is analog triggers.

I had the very same experience when I started playing Nier again on my PS4. I couldn't believe how clunky and unwieldy the PS4 controller felt all of a sudden. The Joy-Cons are seriously nice controllers.

I'm the same. I stopped buying consoles back in PS3/360/Wii era and focused primarily on handhelds because of time and convenience. Now that I've bought a Switch, I alternate quite a bit on using TV mode as well as playing on the go.

Same here. Fits my schedule in a wonderful way. Wife loves it because I'm not sitting there yelling at destiny or titanfall 2 lol.

After a month and some change, I've come to this realization:

I want to play every game on the Switch. I really do.

The two games I've been playing after Zelda are Nier Automata (which I completed) and a current playthrough of Persona 5; both great games in their own right. Playing through Zelda first made me immediately realize the limitations of Nier; invisible walls, can't traverse in areas, etc. Meanwhile BOTH games made me realize how much I missed the portability of the Switch. I love just being able to pop it out and not skip a beat if the wife wanted the TV. I loved that I could take this to me to work when I knew had a couple hours downtime there. I loved the first weekend where we had to get my car service and the wife and I played Snipperclips and had a blast. And I would love the be playing Persona 5 on this thing for all of those reasons... but alas, I can't.

I realize that the games really pushing the graphical power limit aren't gonna be coming to this thing and it'd be ludicrous for me to expect that. But given the preference between slight graphical variations and the versatility, portability and ease of use that the Switch provides... I'd choose the Switch almost every time.

DagsJT

I sold my 1070 and used the money to buy my Switch. It's far more convenient for me playing on the Switch than being stuck to one room on the PC.

Haven't regretted my decision at all.

Pasedo

Yeh gaming is meant to be fun. I felt on my PC that I was forcing myself to enjoy games and was in denial that I was having fun. It felt like a chore. With the Switch I literally feel fun and excitement again. My logic is because the portability factor and ease of play I no longer feel pressured to play and so I can concentrate and enjoy games again..or maybe Zelda and Switch is just a ridiculous amount of fun. Who knows, but I feel its going to be the only gaming device I'll need.

I wanted to give a shout out to Nintendo for their great customer service. My left Joy-Con stopped locking into place on the Switch itself. I called Nintendo and they set up a repair with a UPS return label. I sent it out this Monday from Ohio and then yesterday, less than a week later, I received the repaired Joy-Con from New York.

I am sure they're not always this fast, but I am grateful that I had such prompt service. Not only is my Joy-Con repaired, but they gave me an additional 100 day warranty on it. Never paid one cent!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can I just use my iPhone power brick and the Type-C cable that came with the Pro Controller to charge my Switch on the go? What about the bigger iPad brick?

Contacted Beamdog (responsible for Baldur's Gate and Planescape EE on mobile and PC/Mac), and they said they have no plans to port their games to any of the consoles. They were very cool about it, though, and I was surprised at their quick response.

If there are games you're interested to see on the Switch, I suggest contacting the developers/publishers to at least make them aware there's some consumer interest or demand for it.

For me, it's to see old PC rpgs and adventure games make their way to the device.

Can I just use my iPhone power brick and the Type-C cable that came with the Pro Controller to charge my Switch on the go? What about the bigger iPad brick?
I think the iPad brick could work, doesn't it cap out at 10 watts? That should be enough to charge it. I don't know if you could play and charge at the same time though. The smaller iPhone charger wouldn't work.

I've played around with 3 Switches. One was pretty dim, and the other two (including the one I own) feel like they could burn my eyeballs out at max brightness. You might have lost the screen lottery.
:(

It's perfect inside at least..could my glass protector have something to do with it ?

OmegaFax

I was playing around with different charger combinations today. Outside of my Nexus 5X supplied adapter and the Nintendo Switch one, I've been trying to find if I had any other adapters that could charge the Switch while playing.

PCH-ZAC1 (Vita power brick) -> Amazon USB extension cable -> LG Nexus 4 MicroUSB cable -> Benson approved USB Typic-C adapter. Worked fine. For the most part, the thing kept the system charged while playing. For reference, it says 5V=1500mA on the side.

However, I tried an LG G2 adapter 5.0V=1.8A with the same wire setup and the Switch started emitting a high pitched noise. Electrical sound. I don't think the wires are bad. Is there something with 5.0V/1.8A output I should be aware of? Did I damage my Switch?

It seems like the brick caused the problem, not any of the wires. Has it happened to anyone else?

To everyone still on the fence about screen protectors. After a month of heavy use, the non-Premium Hori Screen Protector is still holding up with no major flaws. I recommend it if you can't find the tempered glass screen protectors.

Love my switch and Zelda, been playing it exclusively since launch and not touched my PS4. Yesterday i completed Zelda so now I can go back to my PS4 and Start Persona 5. Holy shit I can't get used to the PS4 controller again, it feels so clunky and the analog sticks feel so tall and feels like there is so much travel. I never had this problem before with the controller and thought it was one of the best controllers ever. I now realise the joy con with the grip is such a comfortable controller. Only thing it lacks is analog triggers.

It's grown on me. At first I thought it was small and cramped and I've got small baby hands. Now it feels very comfortable. I think it was the initial transition from PS4 controller that felt strange, but now it melts into my hands.

bobawesome

So I'm a little OCD but has anyone else noticed very slight imperfections on the grey plastic surface of the tablet part? Mine has a couple of very minor blemishes next to the screen. Only noticeable when I angle it a certain way against light. Would feel better if I knew others also had this outside of the box as its probably from crappy quality control from the factory.

I've mentioned it in a few posts and I think I saw someone else briefly mention it. On my first Switch it almost looked like the plastic was chipped on an area on the front. Noticed a bit of it on my replacement Switch (sent it in for an unrelated reason) on the left and right areas where you plug the Joy Cons in.

Seik

Banned
So I'm a little OCD but has anyone else noticed very slight imperfections on the grey plastic surface of the tablet part? Mine has a couple of very minor blemishes next to the screen. Only noticeable when I angle it a certain way against light. Would feel better if I knew others also had this outside of the box as its probably from crappy quality control from the factory.

To me it's on the back, I have some spots around de kickstand and two near the switch's logo I even tried to clean with plastic cleaner and they stay there.

I'll deal with it, in a couple years if it's too much I'll spray paint my Switch or just keep dealing with it.

Mandelbo

Finished my Switch sleeve today, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out:

C9eeMz3XgAEGxpN.jpg:orig

It's no Waterfield Case, but it does its job of protecting the screen and it's quite snug on the tablet, so it won't fall off.

spekkeh

Banned
I mean we should realize we're all a bit in the honeymoon phase still, and we need to discover how atrocious the support will be.

But I stopped serious PC gaming some five years back (at home, I still have the gaming PCs at work to develop VR), because a desktop mini tower where you have to sit in a chair behind a monitor is the exact opposite of how I want to do home computing; that is, lounging with an ultrabook or a smartphone, wherever and in whichever position the hell I feel like it.

So far handheld gaming never really did it for me, I don't like the compromised experience, but Switch is the first console where it just works for me. If this Switch thing holds up, I'm going to have to think very long and hard on whether I actually still want a PS5, because playing games for extended periods of time in front of the TV suddenly feels incredibly archaic.

Went in to Target today for some Easter stuff and swung by the electronic section and of course the Nintendo shelves were completely bare. After I finished my shopping I walked by electronics again and there was a single Switch in the case now. Apparently someone just returned it minutes earlier. Lucky me.

Bonus points, they had 1 Pro controller in stock too. Happy days! Snatched it up in a heartbeat much to my wife's chagrin.

Hmm, now need a screen protector and carrying case.

does anyone else have the rds case, it's like $20 and hard and comes in blue or black

mine arrived today and it smells terrible, like an ashtray, so i left it out to air and now it still smells really chemically.

Korezo

What are the requirements in order to play the switch and charge, it doesn't charge from usb to iphone power outlet, or from usb to switch dock.

NimbusD

Those are all pretty big games though, similar to Zelda they'll hold the reigns for at least a month and a half. Plus I'm sure one or two big games will be announced at e3 for this year.

Besides that we've got some third party titles popping up so that'll give Nintendo a bit of breathing room to not have to rush games out.

Thanks. I've synced but not showing up. Do I have to launch each game once to update the time? And will it show time across all accounts? My Nintendo account is the 'parent' but I also have my kids accounts on there (but they are only local profiles)
It only shows play time moving forward and not anything you've already done. It also lumps all play time together which almost makes it useless and you have this giant orange icon in the OS to tell you it's enabled. I turned it off after a few days since it was so bare bones and not worth the eye sore of the parental notification in the OS.

Pasedo

I mean we should realize we're all a bit in the honeymoon phase still, and we need to discover how atrocious the support will be.

But I stopped serious PC gaming some five years back (at home, I still have the gaming PCs at work to develop VR), because a desktop mini tower where you have to sit in a chair behind a monitor is the exact opposite of how I want to do home computing; that is, lounging with an ultrabook or a smartphone, wherever and in whichever position the hell I feel like it.

So far handheld gaming never really did it for me, I don't like the compromised experience, but Switch is the first console where it just works for me. If this Switch thing holds up, I'm going to have to think very long and hard on whether I actually still want a PS5, because playing games for extended periods of time in front of the TV suddenly feels incredibly archaic.

I agree. If the success of the Switch holds up it will force the others to come up with their own portable console something which will have more power and 3rd party support. This does not bode well for laptop gaming companies as I believe it will eat into this market.

sleepnaught

Where the hell is the news on VC? I know its only been 6 weeks, but there's next to nothing to play on the Switch and that's the case for most of the year. Give us SOMETHING to look forward to...

should I go for Fast RMX or just wait for MK8? I've probably dropped 50 hours into Zelda and I need something to break it up.

Wait for MK8. Fast RMX is just like one of those bad phone racing games. I lost interest in about 10 minutes.

bumpkin

Where the hell is the news on VC? I know its only been 6 weeks, but there's next to nothing to play on the Switch and that's the case for most of the year. Give us SOMETHING to look forward to...

Wait for MK8. Fast RMX is just like one of those bad phone racing games. I lost interest in about 10 minutes.
In the interest of disclosure, I haven't played Fast RMX, but based on what I've seen and heard from people who have, I feel like it's F-Zero without the soul and character.

I would be all over something as insignificant as an HD remaster of F-Zero GX with added online play on the Switch. Unfortunately that makes sense which means Nintendo won't do it; either that or they don't want to work out the logistics with Sega/AM2 to make it happen.

Lylo

It may not be your cup of tea, but it's far from bad, i'm not a fan of futuristic racing games but i greatly enjoyed Fast RMX. The multiplayer mode is tons of fun.

JJD

So I just got my Switch.

I created my Nintendo Account and after that I logged on Nintendo's website and went for the settings, linked accounts and tried to link my Nintendo Network ID but I always get this message after I input my login/password:

Authentication Error

This Nintendo Network ID cannot be used on non-Nintendo devices like PCs or smartphones. Information on how to change this setting can be viewed using the link below. Please note that you will need to sign in again after making any setting changes.

I tried everything but can't get it to work. My pass/login are correct, any ideas how I can link my Nintendo Account to my NNID???

I have around 20 bucks on my NNID that I want to import to the Nintendo Account.

check out the puto puto tetris demo and lets try not to be so hyperbolic. for starters, youre aware of the 2017 indie games slated, yes?

Chindogg

There's one decent indie game and one solid Neo Geo game released a week so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom