• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a second set of Joy Cons, grey (Neon Launch Owner) and the left con seems sluggish from 12 feet away behind my back where my neon one was perfect...

Ugh.

Do I play because it is fine for the most part and send to Nintendo? US resident here.

I agree. If the success of the Switch holds up it will force the others to come up with their own portable console something which will have more power and 3rd party support. This does not bode well for laptop gaming companies as I believe it will eat into this market.

Like who?

Sony's secondary focus now is VR. They've demonstrated they can't focus on 2 platforms at once let alone 3 and the Vita didn't get any of the 3rd party support you're referencing outside of niche Japanese titles which Nintendo will soon gobble up. As for Microsoft, Scorpio and Win10 integration will be their primary objectives for the foreseeble future.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got the hori car stand, Bomberman on our way to a lasergame session:

fpXvtPS.jpg

arimanius

After a month and some change, I've come to this realization:

I want to play every game on the Switch. I really do.

The two games I've been playing after Zelda are Nier Automata (which I completed) and a current playthrough of Persona 5; both great games in their own right. Playing through Zelda first made me immediately realize the limitations of Nier; invisible walls, can't traverse in areas, etc. Meanwhile BOTH games made me realize how much I missed the portability of the Switch. I love just being able to pop it out and not skip a beat if the wife wanted the TV. I loved that I could take this to me to work when I knew had a couple hours downtime there. I loved the first weekend where we had to get my car service and the wife and I played Snipperclips and had a blast. And I would love the be playing Persona 5 on this thing for all of those reasons... but alas, I can't.

I realize that the games really pushing the graphical power limit aren't gonna be coming to this thing and it'd be ludicrous for me to expect that. But given the preference between slight graphical variations and the versatility, portability and ease of use that the Switch provides... I'd choose the Switch almost every time.

I'm the exact same way. This is the type of gaming I've always wanted to play. To be able to take my console games anywhere I want to go. I am really surprised how much I'm loving the switch. I really hated the Wii, Wii U, and 3ds but this thing is just awesome.

Poop!

I'm stuck out and I need to charge my Switch. Got a Walmart near me that doesn't have the charger in stock. What other USB-C chargers can I get there?

ASIS

After a month and some change, I've come to this realization:

I want to play every game on the Switch. I really do.

The two games I've been playing after Zelda are Nier Automata (which I completed) and a current playthrough of Persona 5; both great games in their own right. Playing through Zelda first made me immediately realize the limitations of Nier; invisible walls, can't traverse in areas, etc. Meanwhile BOTH games made me realize how much I missed the portability of the Switch. I love just being able to pop it out and not skip a beat if the wife wanted the TV. I loved that I could take this to me to work when I knew had a couple hours downtime there. I loved the first weekend where we had to get my car service and the wife and I played Snipperclips and had a blast. And I would love the be playing Persona 5 on this thing for all of those reasons... but alas, I can't.

I realize that the games really pushing the graphical power limit aren't gonna be coming to this thing and it'd be ludicrous for me to expect that. But given the preference between slight graphical variations and the versatility, portability and ease of use that the Switch provides... I'd choose the Switch almost every time.
This is probably the launch hype talking. But I feel exactly the same way. I don't know why, we've had handhelds with TV out for quite a while so it's not exactly a brand new concept. But something about this console makes the portability much more usable and fun.

Again, probably launch hype talking. But I completely agree with you.

I thought about posting this in the LEGO City Undercover thread, but thought this might happen with more games.

Has anyone experienced games not handling switching controllers very well?

I have an extra set of JoyCons that I leave in a grip to allow me to leave the original ones always attached to the system. Quite often, I'll just stand up the system and grab the JoyCons in the grip and just continue playing. With LEGO City Undercover, I can't do that. At a glance, it made sense since you can play it two players, and trying to start with another controller would invoke the split screen. However, even going out to the Home Screen and then the Controller Setup to reset the ordering of controllers, it still would not let me use the JoyCons in the grip for first player input. The game would even tell me controller has been disconnected and to press A on a connected controller but that wouldn't respond at all. I have yet to try this in docked mode to see what happens in the hand off, but in portable mode, this seems to be the case.

Anyone else experience something similar in other games? I'm not saying or suggesting this is the Switch's fault, but most likely an issue of how a developer has implemented their controller logic or it could be an edge case in how the SDK handles changing controllers. It's the first time I've seen it.

This is probably the launch hype talking. But I feel exactly the same way. I don't know why, we've had handhelds with TV out for quite a while so it's not exactly a brand new concept. But something about this console makes the portability much more usable and fun.

Again, probably launch hype talking. But I completely agree with you.
I am in the same boat. I tried to play my PS4 the other day and I was like NOPE. I couldn't stand the idea of sitting in a chair to play a game. I am sure that will change - at least I hope it does, as I have yet to play Horizon.

Seik

Banned
Where the hell is the news on VC? I know its only been 6 weeks, but there's next to nothing to play on the Switch and that's the case for most of the year. Give us SOMETHING to look forward to...

Wait for MK8. Fast RMX is just like one of those bad phone racing games. I lost interest in about 10 minutes.

Lol, FAST is great, it may not being up for your taste, but saying its like a BAD phone racing game is hyperbolic af.

As for finding another game, I'd suggest checking out Isaac, Lego City, Has Been Heroes, I am Setsuna (if you're into JRPGs), Blaster Master Zero, Snipperclips (if you have someone to play with, don't buy if you don't). Check out the line-up for this year, there's plenty on the way!

If you checked EVERYTHING and there's litteraly nothing to make you happy in all this, I'd suggest selling your console while it's still hard to find to recoup your investment because it may not be for you.

sleepnaught

Lol, FAST is great, it may not being up for your taste, but saying its like a BAD phone racing game is hyperbolic af.

As for finding another game, I'd suggest checking out Isaac, Lego City, Has Been Heroes, I am Setsuna (if you're into JRPGs), Blaster Master Zero, Snipperclips (if you have someone to play with, don't buy if you don't). Check out the line-up for this year, there's plenty on the way!

If you checked EVERYTHING and there's litteraly nothing to make you happy in all this, I'd suggest selling your console while it's still hard to find to recoup your investment because it may not be for you.

So, I should sell my console because I don't want to replay games that have already been out for years?

Seik

Banned
So, I should sell my console because I don't want to replay games that have already been out for years?

That's not what I said at all.

You said there's basically nothing to play for most of the year. Yes, those I mentionned are old games, but I was trying to offer you options because you were looking for games, I can't say if you played these or not already though.

If you hold no excitement for Arms, Splatoon 2, Xeno 2, Fire Emblem Warriors or Mario...with all the non-exclusives but new games (Rime, Redout, Yooka-Laylee, Battle Chasers, Monster/Wonder Boy, etc.) that will fill the gaps. I can't tell you 'Yes, keep the console.' as an advice, obviously.

You said there's basically nothing to play for most of the year. Yes, those I mentionned are old games, but I was trying to offer you options because you were looking for games, I can't say if you played these or not already though.

If you hold no excitement for Arms, Splatoon 2, Xeno 2, Fire Emblem Warriors or Mario...with all the non-exclusives but new games (Rime, Redout, Yooka-Laylee, Battle Chasers, Monster/Wonder Boy, etc.) that will fill the gaps. I can't tell you 'Yes, keep the console.' as an advice, obviously.

This post sadly convinces me to not buy a switch (yet). Ouch :(.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want one of these for the switch&pro controller

Currently propping it up on a table or arm of a sofa but it's much better closer to my eyes and not off to one side as it gives me neck ache.

-Amon-

I would really like some virtual console news .... I don't even need something new, just the games they already published on 3ds Vc.

ASIS

This post sadly convinces me to not buy a switch (yet). Ouch :(.

Much better than buying and being hit immediately with buyer's remorse. Trust me, a *shiny* new console without anything that interests you will make you bitter. Better to wait and spend your money on other things until the Switch builds a library suitable for your tastes.

jts

...hate me...

Currently propping it up on a table or arm of a sofa but it's much better closer to my eyes and not off to one side as it gives me neck ache.

Yeah I need this too. Surely anytime someone will step up.

inner-G

Banned
Playing the switch at eye level with the joy cons held straight down at my sides, while standing up seems to be the best way to play for my posture.

PSFan

Why don't you just play in handheld mode with the joycons attached? That's pretty much what that thing is.

I've been thinking of trying to get my fiancée into a game with me. She doesn't like games, though. She never played them growing up so she convinced herself she is bad at them so she doesn't even want to try. I understand, though. But I think it could be fun to play a very non-game-like game, if that makes sense. I think we would have fun with some drinks. Does anyone have recommendations? I was thinking 1 2 Switch or Snipperclips. I am afraid Snipperclips might be too gamey and 1 2 Switch might just be awkward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why don't you just play in handheld mode with the joycons attached? That's pretty much what that thing is.

My son doesn't find the attached joycons comfortable. He is ok with detached joycons because you hold them a little differently in the hand, and the pro controller is comfortable generally.

CLEEK

I'm not the person you relied to, but I find the Switch in default handheld mode uncomfortable to use. All the weight of it presses into the middle of my palms. Plus, the Pro controller is a gazillion times better than the Joy-cons.

When I want to play Zelda and the TV is in use, I remove the Joy-cons and sit cross legged with the Switch on my lap while using the Pro controller. Works well.

thefro

I've been thinking of trying to get my fiancée into a game with me. She doesn't like games, though. She never played them growing up so she convinced herself she is bad at them so she doesn't even want to try. I understand, though. But I think it could be fun to play a very non-game-like game, if that makes sense. I think we would have fun with some drinks. Does anyone have recommendations? I was thinking 1 2 Switch or Snipperclips. I am afraid Snipperclips might be too gamey and 1 2 Switch might just be awkward.

Play the Snipperclips demo with her, then see if she's interested in the full game or not.

I got the hori car stand, Bomberman on our way to a lasergame session:
What's this? I haven't run across it in browsing Switch accessories before, and searching for Hori car stand I'm just finding their charger. At Reddit sometimes people will ask about an accessory like the one shown in the early trailers with Mario Kart, but I didn't think such a thing had actually yet been released for Switch.

What games does everyone have?

I just have zelda and snippet clips now.

Blaster Master Zero
Fast RMX
Graceful Explosion Machine
Just Dance 2017
Kamiko
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mr. Shifty
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Snake Pass
Snipperclips: Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R
Voez
Vroom in the Night Sky
World of Goo

sleepnaught

I'll probably wait until E3 to see what's revealed. If I dont like what I see I guess it makes more sense to go ahead and sell it. I would hate to do that because I love the console itself, but the games for me just arent there and not much else on the horizon.

Pasedo

Like who?

Sony's secondary focus now is VR. They've demonstrated they can't focus on 2 platforms at once let alone 3 and the Vita didn't get any of the 3rd party support you're referencing outside of niche Japanese titles which Nintendo will soon gobble up. As for Microsoft, Scorpio and Win10 integration will be their primary objectives for the foreseeble future.

I had a Vita and although I enjoyed it the tech was not ready to provide a real console experience on the go. Today's tech with the Tegra X1 maybe X2 and who knows what AMD are working on its possible. For me it's Amazing playing a game like Zelda BOTW on the go - and this is just the start. Vita marketed itself as the most powerful portable gaming device with console graphics but when users were used to Ps3/4 and 360/Xbone graphics, the experience wasn't consistent with the statement. 3ds did well because it marketed itself as a unique device with unique experiences to other gaming devices. Switch can provide console experiences at a level between Wii u and Xbone. For a PC gamer like myself it's awesome enough especially on a 6.2' screen. Which is why I think laptops are in danger of these new portable gaming devices. Why lug around a heavy laptop when you can play full games on a device like Switch. All the Switch now needs is more AAA 3p games. With all the noise about that in here there's clearly a market. Something the others MS and PS I'm sure are noticing.

Breath of the Wild
1 2 Switch
Super Bomberman R
Snipperclips
FAST RMX
Snake Pass
LEGO City Undercover
Blaster Master Zero
Graceful Explosion Machine
Skylanders Imaginators

And Isaac is in the post!

Edited: Can't believe I forgot about Snake Pass!

bumpkin

I've got Zelda, 1-2-Switch, Super Bomberman R, LEGO City Undercover, Snipperclips, and Blaster Master Zero.

As for games in the immediate future (2-3 weeks), Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is on my radar, as is Graceful Explosion Machine. I also have Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe preordered.

Seik

Banned

Physical:

I am Setsuna
Zelda BOTW
Bomberman
Isaac
Has Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
(Have MK8D and Puyo-Tetris pre-ordered on Amazon.)

Digital:

Snipperclips
Blaster Master Zero
FAST RMX

I got the GS bundle when it popped up, so I have

Zelda + the DL pack
Lego City Undercover (thankfully a good game, since it was bundle extortion)
Has Been Heroes (also bundle extortion, seems very meh)
Snipperclips (sole additional purchase)

And getting a ton of play is the Tetris/Puyo Puyo demo.

We just unpacked the system Friday after a vacation.

As a Wipeout fan, Fast RMX is tempting, but so many of those games end up being boring. I'll just waity for the Wipeout collection on PS4 this Summer.

Finn

I have Zelda, Snake Pass, Master Blaster Zero, and Graceful Explosion Machine which, I gotta say, I love. I'll be picking up MK8 when it drops.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda, Binding of Issac and Blaster Master Zero.

Will get Puyo Puyo Tetris and MK8:D next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom