• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

wvan13

I have Zelda: BotW Special Edition preordered at Best Buy for in-store pick-up. The credit card I used to place the order is no longer valid (had some unauthorized transactions and my bank is sending me a new one). So when I tried calling Best Buy's customer service line to change the payment method, they said they couldn't in fear that they'd have to cancel the order. They told me my best bet is to go in-store and update my credit card information there.

Has someone had any experience with changing payment methods at Best Buy? Or maybe I should call again to see if I get someone else?

It'll be a huge pain in the ass, speaking as an employee, but I want to say you'd still be able to get it figured out. As long as the guy you're dealing with is willing to work with you. Worst case, be a pain in the ass and get a manager involved. Your thing was ordered, your card got fucked, you should still get it.

//ARCANUM

^

I've had a new version of my credit card that I continually put off transferring to because I keep having overlapping preorders that I don't want to screw up by changing the card lol. Stuff I want needs to stop coming out haha.

ncslamm

This has probably been answered but I haven't seen it on the past few pages.

Will my Best Buy in-store pre order charge when I pick it up on 3/3 or before that automatically?

I'd like to know this as well. I would think that you get an authorization charge a few days prior to release but you aren't actually charged until you pick up.

I have a similar question: I recently moved and updated my Best Buy credit card billing address (back in November). I preordered my Switch and Zelda: BotW SE on this card. My switch preorder shows my billing address correctly as my current address but the BotW preorder shows my old address. I think this is because I preordered one from my PC and one from my iPhone later. Will I still be able to pick up my order even though the billing address was wrong for Zelda? I'm picking up in store.

PMS341

At this point, getting a Pro Controller is going to be luck-based, no? I assume it can't be preordered anymore, so I'm going to try my luck with a random retailer, I think. I have no idea who would be best.

Also, what about the Joy-Con Charging Grip? Is it just as difficult to find?

Lgndryhr

At this point, getting a Pro Controller is going to be luck-based, no? I assume it can't be preordered anymore, so I'm going to try my luck with a random retailer, I think. I have no idea who would be best.

Also, what about the Joy-Con Charging Grip? Is it just as difficult to find?

That's odd. I just checked for you and it seems out of stock at major retailers online. It was just instock the other day. Good luck on finding it. I'd recommend checking out a Best Buy , Wal-Mart, or Target on launch day. If not a rush then I am sure it will come back in stock online. Perhaps even before launch.

I have noticed its availability fluctuate since January. I think it will be easier to find.

Akim

Banned
Did anyone else preorder at Walmart? I chose store pickup for mine and it's saying March 10th for the estimated shipping date.

Random question. I've watched a few of the unboxing videos and it seems the console is only wrapped in a plastic sleeve. I just wanted to confirm this is the case, or if they put a plastic film over the screen. I want to buy a tempered glass screen protector, but most the of the ones I'm looking at won't be shipping until the end of the month.

arimanius

So did I fuck up? I have a switch preordered from Gamestop (never done this hope I get it on release) but I haven't preordered any games. Plan was just to go to best buy or something and pick them up. Am I screwed and not going to have anything to play at launch? lol

The Big N

Banned
So did I fuck up? I have a switch preordered from Gamestop (never done this hope I get it on release) but I haven't preordered any games. Plan was just to go to best buy or something and pick them up. Am I screwed and not going to have anything to play at launch? lol
Gamestop is pretty good about getting the system to your house in the estimated shipping time (when I preordered the Wii U they got it to my house on release day even though I used standard shipping).
Games are normally easy to find.

arimanius

Gamestop is pretty good about getting the system to your house in the estimated shipping time (when I preordered the Wii U they got it to my house on release day even though I used standard shipping).
Games are normally easy to find.

Ok cool. Nervous since I've never bought a console online let alone preordered one online. Only 2 games I'm interested in (Zelda and Bomberman) so hopefully be able to find those in store. Thinking Zelda will be hard to find however. Guess I could preorder that one but then I'd have to pay to make sure I got it on that Friday.

Why?

It seems like extra allocations are low and there are no pre-orders left. What makes you think this?

without going into exact detail i can tell you from being in the back of best buys stockroom the store i just left had 2 different pallets 1 for pre-order and 1 for non pre-orders lets just say they had more than 40 for non pre-orders. I would have snapped a picture like i did for the PSVR launch stock but i dont want to risk getting in trouble. I will say this it is a store in michigan.

Ibuki

Banned
without going into exact detail i can tell you from being in the back of best buys stockroom the store i just left had 2 different pallets 1 for pre-order and 1 for non pre-orders lets just say they had more than 40 for non pre-orders. I would have snapped a picture like i did for the PSVR launch stock but i dont want to risk getting in trouble. I will say this it is a store in michigan.

Well this is great news, I would like to get one at a midnight launch if I could...

arimanius

Did you see how many games they had? Going to be able to walk in and pick them up as well?

How easy was it to do that? Did you call or do it online? I was mad at them cause I ordered the Switch as soon as they went up and minutes later they offered free 2 day shipping and refused to change my original order to the free 2 day shipping option on my order. I think it is lame that for more money they will get it to you day one but won't give me 2 free day shipping but instead I got $13 3-5 day shipping.

I called. They took care of it pretty quick.

Got

Banned

interesting, thanks for the info

MindofKB

What would you get out of taking them to court? It seems like it would be pretty embarrassing to stand in a courtroom waving a Sunday circular and crying about how you couldn't buy your new toy because they were sold out.

The point is that they must stand by that number or they face litigation. It has happened to stores in the past so they're very stern about having that exact number. When I was a supervisor there, we got 2 consoles less than what we had advertised and corporate forced other stores with extras to send them to us before release date.

Also, in the past, there have been situations where stores were supposed to have, let's say 10 consoles on release day and supervisors/managers hid consoles for themselves/friends. When the doors opened, they would put out 7 of them and say,"Yeah, that's all we have." Knowing that they have to stick to what's in the ad can help you call their bluff when bullshit like that happens.

Again, I was a Media Supervisor there for a few years. I've seen people do some wild shit for consoles on release day.

Sanjuro

Missed my opportunity to pre-order the pro controller from best buy. :\

Here's hoping some are available for midnight launch.

Yeah, but they'll be around in large quantities soon I would imagine. Wii and Wii U Pro Controllers always seemed to have a reduced audience.

The Big N

Banned
Missed my opportunity to pre-order the pro controller from best buy. :\

Here's hoping some are available for midnight launch.
Check your local Gamestop. They had quite a few they didn't get preordered, but ended up getting put into bundles (one bundle is simply Zelda + Controller for no additional charge).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was actually about to agree with Chitown, but honestly, I hadn't thought about this. I just thought it was silly to pre-order the DLC as well to be perfectly honest.

It's not even the largest reason, which is instead straight-up awareness. Most Switch consumers probably will have no idea of its existence until point-of-purchase. To which many of them may also rarely if ever visit the eShop or think to(hence why Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors assaulted the title screens of their games with ads for their passes that no player could avoid).

For us, its silly for sure, but we are informed. Nay beyond informed, we consume this shit daily. The person buying a Switch and Zelda sometime after March 3 may not step back into the store again for 6-8 months or until Mario possibly. Getting that Season Pass in their face ASAP makes sense from a retail and business side.

At most you'll miss Zelda if it sells out physical copies. Shovel Knight and Fast Racing Neo are day 1 games so you could always download those to keep you busy.

I wish Best Buy would hurry up and charge me so I could feel more comfortable about my preorder. This failed authorization thing still has me spooked even though they act like everything's okay.

MattVT

Has there been any confirmation on whether the Wii/Wii U LAN adapter will work with the Switch? I'm trying to figure out if I need to pre-order the Switch LAN adapter.

Lkr

yea im kinda in a weird boat since amazon is all out of BOTW. i figure some store near me will have a copy of it on launch day, and if not, i'll just download it on the eShop

I have the neon console pre ordered at best buy..but for those who put themselves on the wait list at gamestop(I have 500 bucks+ in credit over there but pre ordered at best buy just in case) they called me now and said that since my name was on the top of the list they will have extras on release day so I told her I want the neon one and she said they will place it aside for me..obviously wont cancel my best buy pre order til I actually have the neon one from gamestop in my hand but if you put your number on the wait list expect a phone call today

Small update on expected numbers... one of my Best Buys currently has roughly 150, and the other has about 60. So REALLY good day one numbers, even assuming no further shipments before launch.

They will mostly be grey, like everyone heard. I double checked myself, and my buddy must have mixed up the two SKUs (despite my insistence he double check). So that clears that up.

But yeah, those kind of numbers are really solid for launch. For comparison, again, that smaller Best Buy had only about 30 PS4s at launch, and the larger one had about 60, so at least double at each location.

Feels good to know that people who didn't preorder will still probably have a fair shot.

ViolentP

Decided to pre-order BotW a few weeks ago on a whim in hopes that it would motivate me to actively search for a Switch. Cut to today, I was on the verge of selling it here on GAF considering the cancellation issue from yesterday when the opportunity for a Switch and a Pro controller showed itself to me.

Guess I'm all in now.

arimanius

yea im kinda in a weird boat since amazon is all out of BOTW. i figure some store near me will have a copy of it on launch day, and if not, i'll just download it on the eShop

I found out you can still preorder BOTW from Best Buy this morning and I quickly did that. Figured I'd pick up anything else locally.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's not even the largest reason, which is instead straight-up awareness. Most Switch consumers probably will have no idea of its existence until point-of-purchase. To which many of them may also rarely if ever visit the eShop or think to(hence why Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors assaulted the title screens of their games with ads for their passes that no player could avoid).

For us, its silly for sure, but we are informed. Nay beyond informed, we consume this shit daily. The person buying a Switch and Zelda sometime after March 3 may not step back into the store again for 6-8 months or until Mario possibly. Getting that Season Pass in their face ASAP makes sense from a retail and business side.

Yeah. You're right of course. Being on here all the time, we pretty much live and breathe it. The odd thing is, even I weren't informed, if I were to even consider a purchase for anything with a price tag north of $200, I would be researching the hell out of it. Whatever it is. In this case, the system, it's games, etc. So, I would like to think that people would know what they're getting, but I kinda feel that with Nintendo products, a good portion of people do not. Especially those buying one for the kids.

Futureman

Small update on expected numbers... one of my Best Buys currently has roughly 150, and the other has about 60. So REALLY good day one numbers, even assuming no further shipments before launch.

They will mostly be grey, like everyone heard. I double checked myself, and my buddy must have mixed up the two SKUs (despite my insistence he double check). So that clears that up.

But yeah, those kind of numbers are really solid for launch. For comparison, again, that smaller Best Buy had only about 30 PS4s at launch, and the larger one had about 60, so at least double at each location.

Feels good to know that people who didn't preorder will still probably have a fair shot.

Even if a Best Buy will have extra Switches beyond preorders, they are no longer taking in-store preorders? Basically preorders are closed and any extra systems will be for walk-ins?

Lgndryhr

Even if a Best Buy will have extra Switches beyond preorders, they are no longer taking in-store preorders? Basically preorders are closed and any extra systems will be for walk-ins?

Yep. All consoles at retailers including best buy are in-store pre-orders, online pick-up's, and rest are for walk-in's.

Akim

Banned
Wow, I contacted customer support for Walmart and they said my in-store pickup won't be available until March 10. I tried to change the shipping to 1 day to my house but they said it wasn't possible.

R0ckman

Hmm my premium hori screen protector is stuck on deliver estimate, wonder if I should call and see if they can fix that or get it elsewhere.

At this point I assume that's the case. Traditionally that is how it works, by this point they're just putting aside the preordered systems and making tickets for the rest.

I can't say how many of those are preorders, I don't know and since pulling preorders would reveal personal customer information I could never ask someone to do that for me. But again, the raw number of units is double or higher than the number of PS4s at launch, including preorders. So Nintendo did not appear to slack on day one stock.

If these things sell out, it won't be because Nintendo didn't make many. If your local store is doing a midnight release, it shouldn't be too hard to get one. And if Best Buy has that many, it would imply to me that other major retailers (Walmart, Target, Gamestop in particular) will also have decent stock levels.

Bii

It'll be a huge pain in the ass, speaking as an employee, but I want to say you'd still be able to get it figured out. As long as the guy you're dealing with is willing to work with you. Worst case, be a pain in the ass and get a manager involved. Your thing was ordered, your card got fucked, you should still get it.

Thanks for the input. I'm going in tomorrow in person to see if I can get it sorted out. I'm hoping it's a seamless process. Worst case scenario, it gets canceled and I'll just get the standard version.

DirtyLarry

I just cancelled my preorder at BestBuy US website for the Pro Controller so it may be available if someone wants to try?

I am also going to cancel my preorder for the Switch in a few minutes on Amazon. If someone wants to try and scoop it up quote me and I will reach out in the next 10 minutes via PM.

I just came to the conclusion it only has one game I am interested in for months. Waiting for Christmas this year is the right move for sure.

Do you know the proportion of grey vs neon switch ?

Do you know the proportion of grey vs neon switch ?

In the two stores in my city... one had almost 150 total units, about a third of which were Neon. The other had close to 60 Grey, with literally no Neon. It's possible that second store hadn't received all of their stock yet, because I find it hard to believe they didn't even have a single preorder for a Neon unit.

So, despite my backwards info earlier in the thread, the vast majority will end up being Grey. However, I don't think Neon will be IMPOSSIBLE to get, just much less common.

If you work at Best Buy, don't put yourself at too much risk. Not a big enough deal to compromise your job over.

It's safer for me to find this stuff out because I don't work for Best Buy, and I know over half the employees in my city so anyone who talks to me has some crowd anonymity.

In the two stores in my city... one had almost 150 total units, about a third of which were Neon. The other had close to 60 Grey, with literally no Neon. It's possible that second store hadn't received all of their stock yet, because I find it hard to believe they didn't even have a single preorder for a Neon unit.

So, despite my backwards info earlier in the thread, the vast majority will end up being Grey. However, I don't think Neon will be IMPOSSIBLE to get, just much less common.

If you work at Best Buy, don't put yourself at too much risk. Not a big enough deal to compromise your job over.

It's safer for me to find this stuff out because I don't work for Best Buy, and I know over half the employees in my city so anyone who talks to me has some crowd anonymity.
Do you know if they will let you choose while in the line which switch you want to buy before the store ooens, or you will only be able to choose once you are inside , first come first serve basis?

i do not work for best buy i work for a different company im in these stores weekly they know me by name especially the people in back lol. They just didnt want me snapping a picture this time around, they didnt give a fuck about the psvr but this they were afraid of people posting stock pics.

Got my pre-order in for Zelda today at Best Buy, but I have a question about something different. I pre-ordered the system at Gamestop, it's in my name, is it possible for my brother to go pick it up for me instead or does it have to be me?

Top Bottom