• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

Never pre-ordered anything from Target before, so I'm not sure if this is normal.

But over the last month or however long ago I pre-ordered the Switch, they have charged/authorized my card at least 6-7 times.

Haven't seen that before.

One3OneKing

Neo Member
Never pre-ordered anything from Target before, so I'm not sure if this is normal.

But over the last month or however long ago I pre-ordered the Switch, they have charged/authorized my card at least 6-7 times.

That is not a Target thing (other than the fact that they are placing a hold at the time of order vs making a final charge when it ships), this is normal. When any merchant places a hold on funds so far in advance without making it final, the bank will auto drop it after a few days. The merchant has to continue to place a hold to ensure that you have your funds available. Closer to launch the charge will be final.

So today I tried my first attempt at going to my Wal-Mart and trying to learn their launch plans so I can make sure I get my Switch. Keep in mind I put 10% down for a pre-order on January 22nd...

Wal-Mart pre-order update #1:
I walk up to Customer Service and I said I was there to maybe put more money on my Nintendo Switch pre-order, and learn their launch plans. She gave me a puzzled look and said I need to go to Electronics. So I go to Electronics and the girl I spoke to back there said I needed to go to Customer Service. I told her that they told me to go to Electronics. So she looked at my receipt and said that I can come any time on Friday and that it will be put on layaway for me.

Do I trust this information? No. So I'll check back around Wednesday. Hopefully they will have their Switch stock by then, which I believe is when they will actually make their plans.
Your average Walmart worker won't know anything about the launch to be honest. I did a walk in at Walmart for my Wii U at midnight years ago and it was in the layaway section near the electronics.

nikos

As an employee, what I would do is probably this. I'd see that this is your order, prove it was you, etc. Card is changed, so I'd check with a manager. If they approved, I'd just straight up sell you that unit on your new card, and cancel your order. So as far as records were concerned it'd be like you were a walk-in who just purchased it.

If you get any trouble picking it up and they give you some BS about not being able to help, ask if they can cancel the order and just sell you the unit that has your name on it.

Edit: This is assuming it's an online order you're going to pick up, which for your sake I hope it is. If it was something being shipped to your house, then unfortunately I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply! It's set for in-store pickup. How does final payment work? Is it made in-store, or will I be charged before it's allocated for me? I assumed the latter, and also assumed that it wouldn't be allocated if the payment were to fail.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah, at least awaiting authorization sounds better than failed authorization, but apparently everything is fine with my order according to Best Buy support.

Yep, they've been telling people what you've heard who have that same failed auth. message who have been posting. I mean... perhaps there is nothing to be concerned about, and if there is.. tear them a new one.

wvan13

Thanks for the reply! It's set for in-store pickup. How does final payment work? Is it made in-store, or will I be charged before it's allocated for me? I assumed the latter, and also assumed that it wouldn't be allocated if the payment were to fail.

I wasn't sure myself until I inquired about my own Switch order, with our corporate line. Evidently, you're charged as you go to pick it up. What you'll need to do is give the person at the counter a photo ID, your card, and possibly the order number. They'll punch in the last 4 digits, and that's it.

But no, it'll be allocated to you before it's paid for. The inventory team will print off a label with your name, order number, etc, and stick it on the box. Then it'll be held aside until you come to get it. As far as I've been made aware, they'll have no idea payment is messed up until you go to pick up your item. It wouldn't hurt to go to that Best Buy today though, and maybe ask to speak with a manager about the problem.

nikos

I wasn't sure myself until I inquired about my own Switch order, with our corporate line. Evidently, you're charged as you go to pick it up. What you'll need to do is give the person at the counter a photo ID, your card, and possibly the order number. They'll punch in the last 4 digits, and that's it.

But no, it'll be allocated to you before it's paid for. The inventory team will print off a label with your name, order number, etc, and stick it on the box. Then it'll be held aside until you come to get it. As far as I've been made aware, they'll have no idea payment is messed up until you go to pick up your item. It wouldn't hurt to go to that Best Buy today though, and maybe ask to speak with a manager about the problem.

This is a relief. Thank you so much. I'll probably stop by in the next couple of days to clear it up.

Magwik

Banned
So when the GameStop employee tells me to show up at 6 to get a system that's not pre-ordered should I assume that means 5 to beat the others who want to get one

Under a week to go and I can't contain my hype! Ordered my grey Switch in-store at Gamestop the morning following the presentation in January along with an online order with them for the LoZ BotW Special Edition. Around the beginning of February, I ordered the Pro controller on Best Buy's website for delivery. Few days after that I went into GS and they were taking in-store reservations for the pro controller so I put $5 down as a backup along with the rider, archer and Zelda amiibo. On Amazon, I ordered the Zelda official case by PDP along with the Zelda Play and Protect set (themed screen protector and skins), the LAN adapter, stand and card case.

Last week before my anime convention, I went and paid off my Switch in-store to avoid overspending at con. This week, in my anxiety, I went into GS and paid off my pro controller and then cancelled the Best Buy order. Noticing that the same accesories (except the stand and LAN adapter) had display boxes on the wall, I went ahead and ordered the case and play/protect set and paid those off along with the amiibo so that way I wouldn't be pacing the house all day waiting until lord knows when for delivery from Amazon.

All said an done, I check GS.com (having seen people here had notifications regarding being charged on the 25th) on the status of my Special Edition and saw it somehow had Free shipping when I know at time of order I opted for the Day One shipping/delivery option. Had to call CS and the rep was able to change it as I feared doing anything myself and losing said order.

Now I'm sitting here anxious again as I count down the days and hope that everything goes swimmingly with my online order and that it comes at a decent time during the day on Friday if everything pans out. Downside is my GS, which initially said they were doing a midnight, said they're not.... So unless the GM and/or DM change their mind before next week, I'm stuck going in to pickup my stuff as soon as they open. Not the end of the world, mind you, but I can't deny that there is a joy to be had in midnight launches (sharing time and line space with others as equally hyped about the release as you and counting down that clock to midnight). Also, I don't want to be out of my house any longer than necessary so that I may stalk the delivery man (hoping it's a warm day so I can sit on my porch with cigarettes, my ipod and iPad to stream anime and youtube)

_woLf

Does anyone know if any of the Switch previews mentioned whether you can have the switch dock horizontal?

I have no room for a big bulky vertical console stand anywhere near my tv :(

Magwik

Banned
Does anyone know if any of the Switch previews mentioned whether you can have the switch dock horizontal?

I have no room for a big bulky vertical console stand anywhere near my tv :(
I think you've got your vectors mixed up
I'd get there even earlier if possible. People might be waiting hours in advance.
Guess I'll head up at 430 and check if there's a line and head next door to the sandwich shop if not

Does anyone who has the pro controller preordered on Amazon have a delivery estimate of March 3rd? If so, when did you preorder? I figured this is the best place to ask.

I preordered from Best Buy shortly after it went up. Like 1am eastern. Ever since my order status has said awaiting authorization and gives an estimated delivery date of January 1st. I've been hoping this date would update like my Zelda preorder but it still states January 1st. I was basically told to "watch my order status for updates" by Best Buy support. Not very reassuring, especially when others who ordered well after me have the correct March 3 date. :/

_woLf

I think you've got your vectors mixed up

Guess I'll head up at 430 and check if there's a line and head next door to the sandwich shop if not

wut? everything we've seen has been the switch going in vertically:

closer-dock-front.jpg

I want to know if I could rotate the switch dock so I could slide the switch in horizontally. For example, rather than the switch logo in the picture facing out towards me (or to the left-ish I guess in this picture) it'd be facing the ceiling. That way maybe I can fit the switch dock under my tv, where there is a bit of clearance.

GameXplain tested it, and it worked.

This is fantastic news. Thank you :)

Jerm411

My Gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch....so bummed. Problem with living in a small town, guess it'll give me another night with Horizon though before Zelda.

Magwik

Banned

wut? everything we've seen has been the switch going in vertically:

I want to know if I could rotate the switch dock so I could slide the switch in horizontally. For example, rather than the switch logo in the picture facing out towards me (or to the left) it'd be facing the ceiling. That way maybe I can fit the switch dock under my tv, where there is a bit of clearance
My bad I was confused >.>

Has it been confirmed that the BB midnight event is only for existing orders? Reddit was posting that they aren't selling any new stock then.

I'm hoping to get my device through BB because I have a big reward cert to use.

Same for me, but I've seen other companies do the same. It's reupping the hold, if I recall.

spannicus

Has it been confirmed that the BB midnight event is only for existing orders? Reddit was posting that they aren't selling any new stock then.

I'm hoping to get my device through BB because I have a big reward cert to use.
I was told best buy will have stock for those who didnt preorder. Just have to be at midnight launch early.

lt519

Debating picking it up at midnight or just waiting til after work Friday, not sure I'll play a whole lot by the time I get home at 1AM.

Padinn

I preordered a set of red/blue Joycons from Amazon and they show as arriving March 7th. Anyone else see something like that?

R0ckman

Wait, if I'm a Prime member and have 2 day delivery, WHY THE HELL is my pouch expected to ship March 3rd but I get it Tuesday March 7th?

R0ckman

I'm going to be super pissed if my pre-order for Zelda is screwed up (not the master edition, the regular one).

Applied some Amazon store credit to it and the order details now have

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

For some reason the system bugs the hell out when orders are updated on sold out items. My sonic mania says its been delivered already.

Vitacat

I like that poster. Sadly, I am forced to go to Gamestop for my Switch. I far prefer Bestbuy, but I have over $300 in Gamestop credit and really want to get it spent and gone.

wvan13

I like that poster. Sadly, I am forced to go to Gamestop for my Switch. I far prefer Bestbuy, but I have over $300 in Gamestop credit and really want to get it spent and gone.

Isn't it just for getting Switch accessories at Best Buy? Just go there and buy a case, after getting your Switch. Or you could just try asking for one, if they seem to have a big pile of them.

Vitacat

I'm suffering with you as I have BOTW pre-ordered at Best Buy

Ha, me too! Hoping I can snag a Switch Thursday night at Gamestop, but I won't have BOTW until the next day when I pickup my copy at Bestbuy.

Isn't it just for getting Switch accessories at Best Buy? Just go there and buy a case, after getting your Switch. Or you could just try asking for one, if they seem to have a big pile of them.
I'll ask when I pickup BOTW.

newsguy

I have a specific situation. I'm picking mine up at midnight, and that same day I have a work trip. This is perfect cause I get to use it on the flight, but I still haven't secured a case for it. Is it likely that Best Buy will have plenty of cases to choose from at midnight? It would suck if I got the Seitch and then couldn't travel with it because I couldn't find a case.

Anyone have the Walmart SKU for Brickseek? I tried the one on Walmart's site, but it wasn't working.

Others online say they have checked Brickseek for inventory quantities at their respective Walmarts.

wvan13

I have a specific situation. I'm picking mine up at midnight, and that same day I have a work trip. This is perfect cause I get to use it on the flight, but I still haven't secured a case for it. Is it likely that Best Buy will have plenty of cases to choose from at midnight? It would suck if I got the Seitch and then couldn't travel with it because I couldn't find a case.

What I've been hearing is that midnight launch stores will have a table with accessories and stuff, probably right as you walk in. I'd imagine you're likely to be able to find a case there, when you pick it up.

Top Bottom