• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

Everyone who ordered a Pro Switch Controller off Amazon have a delivery of March 6th or 7th?

Kinda bummed I am not going to get it on launch day, but I can wait a few days. I contacted Amazon support chat and they said it was just an estimate, but I am seeing conflicting reports looking at other responses people have gotten.

7th

I've got a preorder in store at Walmart. Any ideas on how and when I can pick it up? They did it via layaway rather than a traditional preorder. Also, I wasn't given an option on neon or grey so I'm curious if it's first come first served.

bumpkin

I've got a preorder in store at Walmart. Any ideas on how and when I can pick it up? They did it via layaway rather than a traditional preorder. Also, I wasn't given an option on neon or grey so I'm curious if it's first come first served.
If that's the case (first come, first serve), if you want neon, make sure you're one of the first. The inventory counts via brickseek's tool are showing the neon to be way under-shipped compared to the gray, at least around here (i.e. 22 gray, 4 neon).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Posted this in B/S/T, but thought it might be relevant here, too. I'm trying to do something a bit more unconventional than just selling the pre-order:

I want to sell my grey Switch + BotW after I beat BotW. Would essentially just be charging cost: $300 Switch+$60 BotW+approx. $35 tax+approx. $10-20 shipping = approx. $410.

Reach out if you're interested.
So you want to sell your used unit at least a week after launch for retail pricing + tax + shipping and you're advertising this the week before launch while someone can still make plans to get a new unit. Sounds nuts to me. Stock must be nonexistent after launch and any buyer must be desperate, impatient, unlucky, and dumb to bite on that. Good luck.

UD`

Neo Member
Anyone else pre-order from walmart.com ? I was able to pre-order Zelda SE from them a couple hours ago after refreshing the page for nearly 2 hours. Looks like they charged me for both the Zelda and Swirtch(ordered on 1/13) today. No sales tax charged. Both of them are ordered for in-store pickup, Zelda arrives by March 7th. and Switch arrived by March 8th. Anyone have any experience with walmart.com in-store pickup for pre-orders? Do they generally become available for pickup on launch day or must I wait the extra 5 days?

tsumineko

I went and checked out the Switch with my own eyes today. I was surprised to see the colors of the red and blue joy con straps did not completely match the colors of the joy cons themselves. The joy cons were much more bright and vivid, while the straps were muted. No point in getting colored straps of they don't match.

Also, I found the colors of the joy cons themselves way too bright. Looked a bit ridiculous. Very very happy I got a grey Switch preordered!

Edit: also the official case looks flimsy. If you're paranoid, might want to get a nice hard case.

I didn't know where to post this, but I think this is one of the cooler features that isn't being discussed as much.

Very cool. Anyone know if there will be a difference in load speed from physical version of Zelda vs digital? If we have physical version, can we install it completely to the storage of the Switch?

I totally forgot that I had preordered a Pro Controller pre-ordered from Gamestop.com. They charged my card today. I also have one preordered at Best Buy with in-store pickup...

bumpkin

I went and checked out the Switch with my own eyes today. I was surprised to see the colors of the red and blue joy con straps did not completely match the colors of the joy cons themselves. The joy cons were much more bright and vivid, while the straps were muted. No point in getting colored straps of they don't match.

Also, I found the colors of the joy cons themselves way too bright. Looked a bit ridiculous. Very very happy I got a grey Switch preordered!

Edit: also the official case looks flimsy. If you're paranoid, might want to get a nice hard case.
Lucky! I haven't gotten to see the console in person yet, but I did see the packages on display at my local GameStop the other night. I can't believe how freaking tiny the Joy-Con boxes are.

tsumineko

Lucky! I haven't gotten to see the console in person yet, but I did see the packages on display at my local GameStop the other night. I can't believe how freaking tiny the Joy-Con boxes are.

You won't believe how tiny the actual joycons are haha!

The whole lot is small, system, everything. Such an amazing piece of hardware. Can't wait to get mine.

bumpkin

Does anyone know how much charge the Switch comes with out of the box?
Have we heard anything about whether or not the Switch has a charging indicator like the 3DS visible on the console itself?

It'd be nice to not have to wake it to check the battery level readout on the screen for times you aren't charging it in the dock.

bumpkin

Am I crazy on being worried about my best buy order still awaiting authorization for the neon switch.
All of my Best Buy preorders are still awaiting authorization, but I'm Elite Plus, so I have two-day shipping. Nothing will happen on them until Tuesday or Wednesday, most likely.

Blues1990

Very cool. Anyone know if there will be a difference in load speed from physical version of Zelda vs digital? If we have physical version, can we install it completely to the storage of the Switch?

Good question, especially with SD cards having a faster load rate than CD's/Blu-Ray disks, I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison.

I am in the same boat as you. From talking to the people at my local Walmart I am not convinced they are going to hold the system for me to pick up, so I'll definitely be there before 8am Friday to get in line at the door...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I only have the console pre-ordered so far. I'll probably place a order for a few games sometime this week for in-store pickup at Best Buy. Undecided on accessories, but I'll probably wait and look at cases and whatnot in store before I decide on purchasing.

I am in the same boat as you. From talking to the people at my local Walmart I am not convinced they are going to hold the system for me to pick up, so I'll definitely be there before 8am Friday to get in line at the door...

They did the same way for Wii U, PS4 and Xbox one. They should have them set aside for you. Preorders were only for grey. Supposedly, when you pick it up they will cancel the layaway and ring you up as a normal sale since the preorder SKU isn't the actual SKU. If I recall the memo correctly. So get there early/camp out if you want a chance at a neon, or hell, any accessories. My store got 5 pros, 2 or 3 AC adapters like 4 grey joycon grey sets and one neon set.

//ARCANUM

I didn't know where to post this, but I think this is one of the cooler features that isn't being discussed as much.

That is FAST. In the modern age of gaming, that's just damn impressive.

Edit - also, has there been any word on how well the Switch holds a charge in sleep mode? The 3DS is trash at it, and the Vita is godlike. Wondering how the Switch handles it. Will it be dead after a day or two? Or somehow still alive after a month like Vita?

Killthee

That is FAST. In the modern age of gaming, that's just damn impressive.

Edit - also, has there been any word on how well the Switch holds a charge in sleep mode? The 3DS is trash at it, and the Vita is godlike. Wondering how the Switch handles it. Will it be dead after a day or two? Or somehow still alive after a month like Vita?
Vita like, 2% per 8 hours.

Battery life so far conforms to Nintendo's stated specs—I can get about three hours of portable Zelda play on a full battery charge, depending on the screen brightness. The included AC adapter seems to fill about 1 percent of the battery per minute (give or take) when the system is in sleep mode (that mode is very power conscious, incidentally—after eight hours in "sleep," a fully charged battery had only drained to 98 percent).

I thought the Switch's USB-C charging port would mean I could use any standard external battery pack to charge the system away from an outlet on long trips. Testing with the Jackery Titan S, though, I was only able to get a trickle charge of about 1 percent every six minutes. That charge was so weak that, during normal gameplay, the Switch actually died on me while it was still plugged in to the external battery pack.

This could just be an issue of voltage—the packaged wall outlet is rated for 15V/2.6A, while the battery pack is only rated at 5V/3A—or it might be an issue with confusing USB-C charging standards. In any case, don't expect perfect compatibility with third-party chargers.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/nintendo-switch-unboxing-preview/

I was privy to getting a look at the neon Joycons in person, out of package - but couldn't touch them, lol.

The blue is pretty bright and light blue.

The neon red is not so much red AT ALL. It looks like fiery coral hot pink!

I love the red (or coral hot pink)

The blue was meh

He did click the buttons and they sound like new 3DS face buttons; also the Joycons are smaller than I thought would be - I'm convinced the Switch will be quite portable.

Killthee

My Best Buy order changed to Order Received and I was charged (pending).
Same thing!

smash-bros-villager-meme-its-happening.gif

Rootbeer

Banned
My Switch and 5 BotW amiibo are preparing. Also my Zero Dawn CE (but that one has been preparing for many days already.)

None of my other Switch items are preparing yet. Soon though I'm sure!

I don't plan on getting the switch anymore but at this point is it worth hanging on to the preorder on Amazon or will there be enough available for everyone?

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't plan on getting the switch anymore but at this point is it worth hanging on to the preorder on Amazon or will there be enough available for everyone?
There's expected to be shortages all through March, with the next round of shipments coming after that. Guess we'll see. Depends on if the momentum keeps up or not.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm guessing there is no possible way to get a Pro Controller at this point is there?
You might be able to walk into a store and get one on release day. I've seen pictures on Reddit of people finding them in stores already. Walmart in particular.

What you can try is hitting up some local chain stores and trying to buy it using self check-out.

it seems to be popping in and out of stock online, too. It was just back at bestbuy.com over the weekend, but gone again already.

Phloxy

You might be able to walk into a store and get one on release day. I've seen pictures on Reddit of people finding them in stores already. Walmart in particular.

What you can try is hitting up some local chain stores and trying to buy it using self check-out.

it seems to be popping in and out of stock online, too. It was just back at bestbuy.com over the weekend, but gone again already.

Hmm, thanks. Going to try my local stores today.

My Best Buy order changed to Order Received and I was charged (pending).

Same thing!

I have 3 separate Switch related orders from Best Buy. 2 orders were for Pro Controller and Joy-Cons+Charge Grip, which are shipping to my house. Both those say order recieved and my account has been charged.

The third order is for the Switch itself, which is pickup at store. When do they charge me for that? When I get to the store and pick it up or the day of release before I get there?

Also I have a question about shipping. What does Best Buy normally use to ship their items out? I never selected any special shipping options and never was charged shipping fees so I don't know what they use.

If it's UPS I have the UPS app to change delivery options, but I couldn't find on the app where I could have them deliver my items without being home or without signing.

If it's USPS I already have the option set to deliver to my door even if I am not home.

enbred

Banned
Should we expect Amazon to start charging today as well? Or do they usually charge later for preorders compared to BB/GS/Walmart?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Should we expect Amazon to start charging today as well? Or do they usually charge later for preorders compared to BB/GS/Walmart?

Amazon charges when they ship. With their fulfillment centers all over the place I would expect shipping later in the week otherwise switches still be showing up early.

Edit: expected to ship on the 1st for me. Makes sense with their fulfillment capabilities

I have 3 separate Switch related orders from Best Buy. 2 orders were for Pro Controller and Joy-Cons+Charge Grip, which are shipping to my house. Both those say order recieved and my account has been charged.

The third order is for the Switch itself, which is pickup at store. When do they charge me for that? When I get to the store and pick it up or the day of release before I get there?

Also I have a question about shipping. What does Best Buy normally use to ship their items out? I never selected any special shipping options and never was charged shipping fees so I don't know what they use.

If it's UPS I have the UPS app to change delivery options, but I couldn't find on the app where I could have them deliver my items without being home or without signing.

If it's USPS I already have the option set to deliver to my door even if I am not home.

For pick up, they usually only charge the card the day before , sometimes the same day

mews

Neo Member
anyone know how Amazon will be shipping the consoles or what time things like this usually arrive on release day (at least in NYC?) had to have my Switch + games shipped over to a friend's place due to a cross country move, just realized no one will be home that day and trying to see if i can have them all held for pickup

Meia

Best Buy order tried charging to my card and it's not allowing it for some reason(have the funds on it). Have 24 hours to come up with a solution, feels bad man.

Annoying that I have $150 in reward certs/gift cards that I can't apply to the order since you can only do so when you first place the order. :\

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So I checked my card and Best Buy charged me for the Pro Controller, BOTW, and 1,2 Switch. Plus Amazon now has my Switch expected to ship on the 1st.

It's starting to feel real!

Top Bottom