• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

Strider

I know it's not gonna stop plenty of people from outright freaking out come Wednesday/Thursday but I will just say that... it's completely normal for preorders to not ship until the night before from Amazon.

Yea their release date delivery is "2 day" but seriously all my stuff always gets shipped the night before and still arrives on time... so yea try not to freak out if that happens to you and it doesn't ship out on Wednesday lol

KevinG

I know it's not gonna stop plenty of people from outright freaking out come Wednesday/Thursday but I will just say that... it's completely normal for preorders to not ship until the night before from Amazon.

Yea their release date delivery is "2 day" but seriously all my stuff always gets shipped the night before and still arrives on time... so yea try not to freak out if that happens to you and it doesn't ship out on Wednesday lol

This.

My launch PS4 didn't ship until 11:00 PM the night before launch day.

So yesterday Best Buy auto canceled my preorder after saying my payment info was invalid (it wasn't). I called up customer service and they told me there was a glitch of some sort involving online switch preorders auto canceling and were trying to resolve the issue, still no word on whether my order gets uncanceled let alone if it'll arrive on Friday :(

Edit: seems I'm not the only one in the thread with this problem

Not a console order, but I've had a CE not showing that it shipped at all. I called Amazon that week 3 times were they told me the was no way I was going to receive the item on launch. Luckily it did show up (at the normal time for my area), but I did cancel all my preorders that weren't sold out and move them to Best Buy.

Amazon's good, their customer service is sometimes lacking.

I'm getting the switch from Gamestop. I put it on my MasterCard but since then have gotten like 200 dollars in GS gift cards. I ordered it online. I tried calling and applying my gift cards but the rep on the phone said there would an additional handling and processing fee and that my order could be cancelled so I said no. My question is this...

When I get the switch, could I return and immediately rebuy it in a store? I don't want to return it for them to be like "you can't rebuy it or immediately rebuy it". I don't know how it works with high demand items.

McBryBry

All my stuff is pre ordered at the local Best Buy. Hasn't chsnged to Preparing but I think I'm good. Pre orders for everything I have were still up for a bit after I was done.

I'm getting the switch from Gamestop. I put it on my MasterCard but since then have gotten like 200 dollars in GS gift cards. I ordered it online. I tried calling and applying my gift cards but the rep on the phone said there would an additional handling and processing fee and that my order could be cancelled so I said no. My question is this...

When I get the switch, could I return and immediately rebuy it in a store? I don't want to return it for them to be like "you can't rebuy it or immediately rebuy it". I don't know how it works with high demand items.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I've never heard of a store having a policy like that in place before. However, if you are concerned you should just call them before you head over, or even ask before doing the return/rebuy.

Honestly, I would just use the gift cards on switch games or accessories than go into the hassle of trying to return it and rebuy it w/ the gift cards.

Thanks for all of the answers! I don't usually shop at Gamestop much but I took advantage of a couple switch trade in promos. I pretty much have all of the games/accessories I want preordered from Best Buy with the combination of GCU on most and the visa checkout promotions. I just can't bring myself to pay full price for a game any more at Gamestop, lol.

Gamestop was the only place I could secure a switch pre-order at the time. Not knocking Gamestop, they're just not my first choice.

maxcriden

This is probably a really dumb question, but this seems like a good place to ask since I'm on media blackout for Zelda.

My internet is "download as fast as 75 Mbps" but I don't know how fast it really is. I recently upgraded to this from 25 Mbps and haven't noticed a difference. I just did a speed test and it said 36.59 Mbps.

I'm planning on getting Zelda digitally but I may not be able to get it at midnight. How quickly would it download on Switch, like in how many hours? I'm not sure how big the file is. Thank you.

Garryk

This is probably a really dumb question, but this seems like a good place to ask since I'm on media blackout for Zelda.

My internet is "download as fast as 75 Mbps" but I don't know how fast it really is. I recently upgraded to this from 25 Mbps and haven't noticed a difference. I just did a speed test and it said 36.59 Mbps.

I'm planning on getting Zelda digitally but I may not be able to get it at midnight. How quickly would it download on Switch, like in how many hours? I'm not sure how big the file is. Thank you.

If it's a 30GB game, around 2 hours at 36mbps

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
All my stuff is pre ordered at the local Best Buy. Hasn't chsnged to Preparing but I think I'm good. Pre orders for everything I have were still up for a bit after I was done.

One of my pre-orders was charged but hasn't changed to preparing. The rest did yesterday. None say awaiting auth. anymore though. I wouldn't be too concerned.

kahi

probably manager discretion

Illucio

Banned

I believe Breath of the Wild is only 14GB or something like that.

Assuming you download at a roughly 40 Mbps that's 50 minutes.

However I dont know how fast the Switch itself can process and download that information.

Why did I have to watch that Official Zelda trailer. Now see the Hype train passing and I know I shouldn't jump on it but I feel so compelled to do so.

Anyone have cons to buying this?
Space is no issue since I have several spare cards.

Is it just me, or does it look like the screen could be very easily damaged if anything were in that top pocket?

...or is the Switch meant to go in the opposite way than what they're illustrating there?

good point, you can either use a screen protector or flip the switch. it is 7 bucks man

maxcriden

I believe Breath of the Wild is only 14GB or something like that.

Assuming you download at a roughly 40 Mbps that's 50 minutes.

However I dont know how fast the Switch itself can process and download that information.

Thank you! Hopefully the bottleneck isn't too bad.

Milennia

recently decided to pickup a pro controller on launch as well

so that brings me up to
zelda
console
pro controller

hopefully wont have trouble pre ordering at the store today

Are GameCube games confirmed for VC when it launches?

A robust, reasonably priced (IE $10 average), GC VC would be a major selling point for me.

Love to play Prime, Sunshine, Melee, Rogue Squadron II, etc properly scaled and filtered for HD screens.

Morts

A robust, reasonably priced (IE $10 average), GC VC would be a major selling point for me.

Love to play Prime, Sunshine, Melee, Rogue Squadron II, etc properly scaled and filtered for HD screens.

Nope. Nothing about VC is anywhere close to confirmed.

You might wanna take a seat

Persona7

Banned
So glad I pre-ordered from GameStop. I'm sure mine, like many others, will do a midnight release. I'm in central time so I'm guessing they'll let us have our systems at 11pm central Thursday / 12am Friday. Because east coast time is the ruling time zone in the U.S.

Am I wrong?
Nintendo doesn't allow early sales whatsoever. 12:01am in your time zone is the time you can purchase and no earlier.

Cornbread78

Well, I'll just leave this here in case it helps someone in getting a system at launch that did not pre-order:

We took pre-orders at Wal-Mart, but sold through those within a couple days. We initially only sold about 40 pre-orders, but started receiving our consoles and are showing 60 in-stock, meaning there are 20 that will be released to gen pub at midnight of launch.

With that being said, there will be a line in our store by 6pm that day for those, so if you want one and did not pre-order, call your local store to see if they received extras like we did, and make plans to go early to wait for a few hours to get one.

I will warn you though, the resellers are already using the 3rd party sites to track stock and have already been calling, so I would expect families of flippers (remember, 1 per "customer" and customers can be anyone <regardless of who pays>, so we've have little kids, brothers, sisters, uncles, and people paid to wait in line and been given the opportunity to buy one. It sucks for those that actually want to play one, but for a flipper to pay kids $20-50 to wait in line for a few hours is nothing, when he can resell the units making well over $100 profit per unit. Yeah, complete $hitty business...

Grab you 3DS, Vita, Tablet, and portable charges and plan ahead.

Either way, it looking like there will be units to sell to gen pub from what I've been hearing from other stores.

ds8k

I ordered from GameStop but store pick-up wasn't an option so I opted for release day delivery. Here's hoping it shows up at a decent time.

Is the power cord a wall wart? Can't seem to find confirmation anywhere and may need to do some wire logistics on my entertainment center prior to Friday.

ThatMattZ

Is the power cord a wall wart? Can't seem to find confirmation anywhere and may need to do some wire logistics on my entertainment center prior to Friday.

Yep its a wall wart

Switch-box.png

What happened to your order?

Edit: also, does anyone know if the pro controller might be available in stores on launch day?
Preordered from Best Buy, got an email saying my payment info was invalid so went to update it and it kept saying invalid even though I know it's right and have used my card recently. Then I get an email saying more order was canceled, I contact customer service and say that's it's a glitch and are trying to figure things out. Still no word whether I'll get my switch yet :/

DSmalls84

So far I preordered:

Switch
Pro Controller
Zelda:BOTW
Nintendo Travel Case/Screen Protector

Is an extra Micro SD card needed if I plan on buying most games retail? Any large Day 1 patches or anything for the launch titles?

Persona7

Banned
So far I preordered:

Switch
Pro Controller
Zelda:BOTW
Nintendo Travel Case/Screen Protector

Is an extra Micro SD card needed if I plan on buying most games retail? Any large Day 1 patches or anything for the launch titles?
If you are only getting Zelda or even a few other launch games physically you won't need one right away.

Top Bottom