• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Updates Top 10 Best-Selling Switch Games

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Best-selling Nintendo Switch games:​

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 62.90M
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 45.85M
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 34.66M
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 32.05M
  5. Super Mario Odyssey – 28.21M
  6. Pokemon Sword & Shield – 26.35M
  7. Pokemon Scarlet & Violet – 25.29M
  8. Super Mario Party – 20.84M
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 20.80M
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 17.61M

Recently Released Titles:​

• Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door – 1.76M
  • Luigis Mansion 2 HD – 1.19M

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s still wild to me that the best selling Switch game is a Wii U game, but it’s Mario Kart so I guess it makes sense.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Until you see that best selling WiiU title only sold 8.46m , you realize what a fucking magnificent comeback they pulled off with the Switch.

JvvBqpY.png

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Has any exclusive console game sold as much as MK 8 Deluxe?

The closest thing might be the original Tetris, but that's for GB (a handheld).

Smether

Overall insane numbers, but when you think almost half the list:
  2. Pokemon Sword & Shield – 26.35M
  3. Super Mario Party – 20.84M
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 17.61M
are remasters/repackages of prior content. TotK, Animal Crossing, Smash bros and the other Pokemon are sequels too, so in general they have games that aren't costing a lot to make and sell like crazy.

NanaMiku

Weird take. Those games are so wildly different and Pokémon has been around for so long that BG3 isn’t a game that comes to mind when I think of Game Freak not deserving their success.
And BG3 most likely only appeal to adult/teenagers. Pokemon is appealing for children

blacktout

are remasters/repackages of prior content. TotK, Animal Crossing, Smash bros and the other Pokemon are sequels too, so in general they have games that aren't costing a lot to make and sell like crazy.

Pokemon Sword & Shield and Super Mario Party aren't remasters or rereleases. Maybe you're thinking of Mario Party Superstars and the Pokemon Pearl and Diamond remakes?

Fluffytheterrible

Neo Member
This fucking sucks. The worst Pokemon games selling so well is essentially telling Game Freak and The Pokemon Company to just keep doing what they're doing.
Yep, they're probably the worst games ever to sell over 20 million units. Bad campaigns, an abundance of glitches (S/V is full of visual bugs), lazy design, bad open world, lackluster graphics, underwhelming DLC in S/V's case, that stupid Mochi Mayhem chicken dance, no Battle Tower or Battle animation skip in S/V, Tera Raids being the most broken thing I've ever seen, abysmal perfomance...

Pokemon BDSP shipping unfinished, buggy and undercooked and selling over 15 million copies may be worse though. Rotten, rotten games.

gtabro

I can’t believe the only 11/10 game in history has sold only 20.8M copies. A masterpiece that has “too much” of everything (the only complaint I have heard repeatedly, believe it or not), has the creativity of top indie hits, yet is a full-fledged AAA title, and more than doubled the game world from the previous game - and all this without loading screens. While being on a fkn tablet. The game really needs to sell 4.1 quadrillion copies so I believe there is justice in this world.

Last edited:
I can’t believe the only 11/10 game in history has sold only 20.8M copies. A masterpiece that has “too much” of everything (the only complaint I have heard repeatedly, believe it or not), has the creativity of top indie hits, yet is a full-fledged AAA title, and more than doubled the game world from the previous game - and all this without loading screens. While being on a fkn tablet. The game really needs to sell 4.1 quadrillion copies so I believe there is justice in this world.

How much were you paid for this post?

Davevil

be happy . it's the best selling dlc

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What was that recent Miyamoto quote - "Nintendo needs a 30 million seller every five years", or something to that effect. Well, mission definitely accomplished, and multiple times over at that!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Can you imagine the money that Nintendo would get if AC was GaaS? I’m sure they’re pressured to do it but please Nintendo, do not.

Saber

Baffles me these two mediocre games sold more than Baldur's Gate 3

And they still didn't fix some glitches(crashs often) and performance still terrible(low fps and heavy stutters on DLCs). If this doesn't tell the actual case of power of brand I dunno what can, they could be selling a box full of dirt and still sell.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Ill class Animal Crossing as the best selling title for Switch. Which is insane. Sold more than Pokemon, Mario, Zelda. The true star of Nintendo’s success show lol

I bought 3 Switches. All 3 came with Mario Kart at the same price as without Mario Kart £280. I dont think Ive actually seen a Switch + Mario Kart to be more expensive than Switch without it.
2 of those deals was Switch + Separate Mario Kart retail. The other purchase was boxed with Mario Kart digital. So Im not paying attention to those Mario Kart numbers lol

BlackTron

I don’t own Pokémon’s or animal crossing. The rest I have.

Only two I'm missing from the top ten as well.

For the sample pool of GAF I bet there is more overlap here. lol

Crazy legs. No Mario Wonder?

In order to make it onto the top 10 list, it has to beat the lowest item on the list, which is Mario U DX at 17 million copies. We expect Mario Wonder to dethrone that in less than a year? :messenger_neutral:

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Damn, that drop off in zelda titles is huge. Launch game blah blah blah but totk didn't do well at all, in context

Rran

More ports and buggy Pokemon games here than I'd like, so I hope they don't take the wrong lessons from this. But congrats to the Big N for a wildly successful generation.

My favorite of these games is definitely BotW. More wildly ambitious titles like that please!

Holammer

Almost 21M ain't catshit and it's still a pretty new game, 1 out of 7'ish Switch owners bought it.
Not bad for an old console as users naturally drift away. All my friends bought Switches for their kids and nobody buys new games for it. Kids today want Robux & V-bucks.

SCB3

Baffles me these two mediocre games sold more than Baldur's Gate 3
Its Pokemon, the largest IP in the world now

That being said, this list is not surprising, MK8 being number is no surprise and really does tell me that I have no idea what a MK9 even looks like, 8 is kinda perfect outside of adding even more tracks? A SP mode? More Flying? Guess we'll see

Smether

Pokemon Sword & Shield and Super Mario Party aren't remasters or rereleases. Maybe you're thinking of Mario Party Superstars and the Pokemon Pearl and Diamond remakes?
I'm not discarding the hard work that went into any of these releases, but in business terms neither Super Mario Party nor Mario Party Superstars are materially different. They are not different enough to be considered "new." One might have a higher percentage of copy paste than the other, but ultimately they are the same teams, same assets, same plans/timelines/etc. Same developer, maybe even the same exact teams? Low risk, low cost, and easy to turn around into monster sales.

Pokemon isn't much different. Sword and Shield are more of a step forward than either of the Mario Parties, but even then it's the same product (and development/marketing pipeline) just a new generation. Yes, they changed the camera and the gigantamax Pokemon, but the same core gameplay and developemtn dynamics. It isn't the step forward in the series, which did come later in the form of Arceus, another highly selling game. It sold more than 14 million as of 2023, and even then, it's still made by Gamefreak and using the same IP, aka low-risk high-reward.

Woopah

I'm not discarding the hard work that went into any of these releases, but in business terms neither Super Mario Party nor Mario Party Superstars are materially different. They are not different enough to be considered "new." One might have a higher percentage of copy paste than the other, but ultimately they are the same teams, same assets, same plans/timelines/etc. Same developer, maybe even the same exact teams? Low risk, low cost, and easy to turn around into monster sales.

Pokemon isn't much different. Sword and Shield are more of a step forward than either of the Mario Parties, but even then it's the same product (and development/marketing pipeline) just a new generation. Yes, they changed the camera and the gigantamax Pokemon, but the same core gameplay and developemtn dynamics. It isn't the step forward in the series, which did come later in the form of Arceus, another highly selling game. It sold more than 14 million as of 2023, and even then, it's still made by Gamefreak and using the same IP, aka low-risk high-reward.
Superstars is remade boards and mini games, while Super Mario Party is brand new boards and mini games (many specifically made for the joy cons).

I agree that Super wasn't a noticeable step forward or anything, but there's a material difference when the team has to actually design new content.

Last edited:

K' Dash

be happy . it's the best selling dlc

This idiotic statement is beautiful to weed out the retards.

What’s sad is that there will never be a MK game with the insane amount of content 8 has.

Same for Smash Bros.

I don’t know what they will do to scope down but make people perceive the same value.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This fucking sucks. The worst Pokemon games selling so well is essentially telling Game Freak and The Pokemon Company to just keep doing what they're doing.

GF took a lot of flack for the mess S&V were in at release. Considering Gen 10 isn't due to release until 2026 (rumour, but makes sense considering it's the 30th anniversary of Pokémon) I'm hoping they'll use that extra development time wisely and learn from their mistakes.

It's been downhill since Gen 7 and it can't get any worse, can it?

Hudo

GF took a lot of flack for the mess S&V were in at release. Considering Gen 10 isn't due to release until 2026 (rumour, but makes sense considering it's the 30th anniversary of Pokémon) I'm hoping they'll use that extra development time wisely and learn from their mistakes.

It's been downhill since Gen 7 and it can't get any worse, can it?
I hope you're fucking right, man.

Zannegan

Same for Smash Bros.

I don’t know what they will do to scope down but make people perceive the same value.
It's an interesting problem, and the Switch 2 potentially being fully backwards compatible makes it even more complicated. As far as I can see, they have two possible routes they can take it:

1. A full-on 4K remaster where the focus is on improved visuals and stability and having the complete package, including all prior DLC (really, truly EVERYONE is here). There's not much room to grow here, but you may get people to double dip, especially if it's released around launch.

2. A much smaller roster with a laser focus on everything being NEW: new characters (or, at the very least, new movesets and variants for existing characters), new levels, new items, and maybe even a new core gimmick. You coukd even start with a core of new characters, then have them "rescue" the classic characters to unlock them. As for a new gimmick, I'm thinking something more fundamental than the Smash Ball, something like character switching a la MvC.

I guess a bonus third option that I don't really see them trying is the genre switch. Smash Bros could completely jump the tracks and turn into a hero shooter, a Warriors-style co-op brawler, a MOBA, a kart racer, etc. etc. etc. In any genre, you could carry over some Smash DNA to give it a unique feel, for example, maintaining ringouts with damage influencing how far you fly rather than health bars. Reimagining fan-favorite 2D fighting arenas as full 3D environments could hook fans as well. Still, you can't assume the audience that bought 50+ million copies of Ultimate are willing to just jump with you to a new genre, which makes this approach risky to the point where I don't really think it's on the table.

Davevil

Questa affermazione idiota è perfetta per liberare dei ritardati.

La cosa triste è che non ci sarà mai un gioco MK con la quantità folle di contenuti di MK 8.

Lo stesso vale per Smash Bros.

Non so cosa faranno per restringere il campo di applicazione ma far sì che le persone percepiscano lo stesso valore.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-neil-degrasse-tyson-v0-0wud68xbc11d1.png

Top Bottom