• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Localization Record

ctalamode

Neo Member
Where has The Last Window been confirmed for EU? I think all they did was register the trademark or IP or whatever, which -- correct me if I'm wrong -- does not necessarily mean it's actually going to come out.

I really want that game.

Edit: For example, Nintendo has registered the trademark for "Friend Connection" outside Japan but they aren't going to localize it.

Talyn

Tiktaalik said:
Project_Hacker_Coverart.png

from the cover alone I want to play this
Project: Hacker, right? I would have loved to play it as well. Damn my lack of ability to understand Japanese.

Tiktaalik said:
Project_Hacker_Coverart.png

from the cover alone I want to play this

I could've sworn I read somewhere that they were localizing it and then it ended up getting cancelled or something in favor of some other game(s).

Nintendo actually gave an excuse as to why Tomadachi Collection won't be leaving Japan. I wish they would actually tell us why they aren't releasing something here...-_-;

Nintendo hasn't decided on region protection for the 3DS yet. Does everyone hope they decide against it and allow us to play import handheld games again?

Or do you think we are screwed?

Throw Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 and Trauma Team onto the list, TC:UTK2 never got an EU release and Nintendo still haven't said a word about bringing Trauma Team over to Europe.

Azure Phoenix said:
Throw Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 and Trauma Team onto the list, TC:UTK2 never got an EU release and Nintendo still haven't said a word about bringing Trauma Team over to Europe.

I forgot that Nintendo published those in Europe. Under the Knife 2 didn't come out there?

Do any Atlus games get published in Europe, like Persona or Shin Megami Tensei? You should ask them to bring over Trauma Team, it's like the best game in the series in my opinion.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
MidnightScott said:
I forgot that Nintendo published those in Europe. Under the Knife 2 didn't come out there?

Do any Atlus games get published in Europe, like Persona or Shin Megami Tensei? You should ask them to bring over Trauma Team, it's like the best game in the series in my opinion.

IIRC, Square publishes the MegaTen rpgs in Europe.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Azure Phoenix said:

I don't think it's fair to blame them for that. I don't think Nintendo publishing TC1 implies that they have any kind of exclusive arrangement for subsequent games. Unless a publisher says "We'd love to work on TT but Nintendo has an exclusive contract and isn't releasing them", I don't see the sense of assigning blame there.

dani_dc

Stumpokapow said:
I don't think it's fair to blame them for that. I don't think Nintendo publishing TC1 implies that they have any kind of exclusive arrangement for subsequent games. Unless a publisher says "We'd love to work on TT but Nintendo has an exclusive contract and isn't releasing them", I don't see the sense of assigning blame there.
To be fair Nintendo also published TC Second Opinion and New Blood here in Europe, so it's no wonder people are under the impression that they are responsible for the franchise in Europe even if they aren't.

DarkWish

I just want to play Jam With the Band, damnit. I tried the Japanese version a while ago at a friend's house and loved it and ever since it's been one of my most wanted games. And even after a European localization, no US announcement. I guess I'll have to import it, which means it'll be the first time I import a game.

botticus

DarkWish said:
I just want to play Jam With the Band, damnit. I tried the Japanese version a while ago at a friend's house and loved it and ever since it's been one of my most wanted games. And even after a European localization, no US announcement. I guess I'll have to import it, which means it'll be the first time I import a game.
Worth it! That was my first import, got some good playtime out of it.

DarkWish

botticus said:
Worth it! That was my first import, got some good playtime out of it.
I just need to find a good place to get it, and hopefully it's not too expensive. I have zero experience with imports so I'm not sure where to look.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dani_dc said:
To be fair Nintendo also published TC Second Opinion and New Blood here in Europe, so it's no wonder people are under the impression that they are responsible for the franchise in Europe even if they aren't.

Europe is a really tough call when it comes to any localization thing, I'll admit.

Just sent Nintendo a civil but sternly worded email about this subject.

I tend to do this every few months, it's very cathartic.

I started suggesting more questions about this in the Everybody Votes Channel. I also like to allude to this when answering Club Nintendo surveys.

Talyn

DarkWish said:
I just need to find a good place to get it, and hopefully it's not too expensive. I have zero experience with imports so I'm not sure where to look.
I have the same problem. If it was Japan I'd just use play-asia but I've never imported anything from the UK, can anyone recommend some good sites that would ship to the US?

Macstorm

I'm not giving up completely on some of these, especially Xenoblade. Nintendo didn't even list Pokemon Black & White in their list of upcoming DS games, but they've confirmed it for NA... so I guess we'll see.

Maybe they have plans for an RPG event or something. Something to highlight Golden Sun, Pokemon B&W, Pokemon Ranger 3, and where they can announce (reannounce) Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem, The Last Story or some combination of those.

kottila

Gamer @ Heart said:
There is still plenty of time for them to announce Xenoblade for US.

What im curious about is whether Treehouse themselves will take on the task or give it to someone like 8-4.

I don't understand why they don't at least attempt to release most games at the same timepoints all over the world. Because of the internet, I get hyped up when the games first come out by the time the game comes out in Europe, the hype is long gone.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wouldn't give up on some of these. If NoA can pull Glory of Heracles out of it's ass more than a year after the JP release, and NoE can do the same with Daigasso, you can bet some of these titles will make it. If I were to criticise Nintendo's localisation practices, it would be the way some titles come to the US and not the EU, or vice versa. If you've got an English, French and Spanish translation ready to go, release that shit in both regions, don't limit Starfy to the US or Another Code to the EU (and please god use the Treehouse translation for any UK release).

The big games like Xenoblade, Last Story, Fire Emblem DS2 will all come, as for the smaller titles, it's kind of a lottery, but if Glory of Heracles, Starfy, Fossil Fighters and Chibi Robo Park Patrol can make it, I don't see why other niche titles can't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ushojax said:
The big games like Xenoblade, Last Story, Fire Emblem DS2 will all come, as for the smaller titles, it's kind of a lottery, but if Glory of Heracles, Starfy, Fossil Fighters and Chibi Robo Park Patrol can make it, I don't see why other niche titles can't.

Starfy only came on its fifth installment and Chibi Robo as a franchise has had 2 out of 4 installments localized :p

faridmon

Zerokku said:
IIRC, Square publishes the MegaTen rpgs in Europe.
some of them. Actually Persona 3 and 4 only. the older PS2 ones were published by Ghostlight.

and therefore we haven't got any SMT game since then as SE gave up on it and we don't have bloody Atlus.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Stumpokapow said:
Starfy only came on its fifth installment and Chibi Robo as a franchise has had 2 out of 4 installments localized :p

At least it's something. Who honestly expected any of the Starfy games to come to the US? Chibi Robo Park Patrol didn't even come to the EU. There is still time for some of these niche games to release, the Jam with the Band surprise speaks to that.

Empty

re: NOE weirdness, not technically localization.

The gap between the US and EU release dates of Metroid Prime: Pinball (October 2005-->June 2007) has me holding out irrational hope for NOE to bring over Excitebots.

mooooose

Stafy 5 is a pretty bad edition of Stafy too. I'd rather have seen them work on Soma Bringer or Project Hacker or something else. Really boring game.

A collection of Stafy 1 - 3 on DS... that'd be great.

faridmon

Ushojax said:
At least it's something. Who honestly expected any of the Starfy games to come to the US? Chibi Robo Park Patrol didn't even come to the EU. There is still time for some of these niche games to release, the Jam with the Band surprise speaks to that.

NoE is playing around IMO. giving us some games that we migh/might not want and most of the games is not bringed here. Disgusting.
Empty said:
The gap between the US and EU release dates of Metroid Prime: Pinball (October 2005-->June 2007) has me holding out irrational hope for NOE to bring over Excitebots.
I still haven't forgave them for not bringing Baten Kaitos: Origin. you must be a forgiving man, mate.

Yay a fan translation is being worked on for Captain Rainbow. They hope to be finished in about 3 months. Sweet! I only played through it once in Japanese but of course I didn't understand anything, only that I could tell that Birdo had what everyone thinks is a vibrator under his pillow.

mollipen

Threads like this make me glad that I don't give a crap about most Nintendo-published games from any country. I have 140+ DS games and I think less than 10 of them are from Nintendo (including imports, which is like three Nintendo-brand releases).

Whenever I've been a fan of their hardware, it's always been for third-party reasons.

mooooose

MidnightScott said:
Yay a fan translation is being worked on for Captain Rainbow. They hope to be finished in about 3 months. Sweet! I only played through it once in Japanese but of course I didn't understand anything, only that I could tell that Birdo had what everyone thinks is a vibrator under his pillow.
That is AWESOME. I will totally buy it, if this is true. Link?

MidnightScott said:

YES! I got it when it was like $15 on play-asia. I really, really want to play this game, but I can't stand doing so with a translation guide on the side. I hope they do Chibi Robo 3 next (and Tingle 2/Giftpia... I can dream)

pirata

shidoshi said:
Threads like this make me glad that I don't give a crap about most Nintendo-published games from any country. I have 140+ DS games and I think less than 10 of them are from Nintendo (including imports, which is like three Nintendo-brand releases).

Whenever I've been a fan of their hardware, it's always been for third-party reasons.

Wow, you're the exact opposite of most Nintendo-console-owners.

shidoshi said:

How....is that even possible?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
Well, one of those was a port to a subseries Nintendo aborted far to soon in. "Our launch titles to this new flagship subseries have failed! Rather then try porting more appling titles first, we shale give up now!"

mooooose said:
Stafy 5 is a pretty bad edition of Stafy too. I'd rather have seen them work on Soma Bringer or Project Hacker or something else. Really boring game.

A collection of Stafy 1 - 3 on DS... that'd be great.

Well 5 is better than 4, at least. Though I agree 2-3 are the best.

Also it seems all the low-profile DS RPGs by Nintendo have bombed in the US, except for Fossil Fighters (I guess for the ties to Pokemon...?)

dani_dc said:
Stumpokapow said:
Atlus doesn't exactly have many outlets in Europe for it's games, and considering Nintendo have published all of the Trauma games that have received an EU release it's fair to assume they are the only company who are going to bring them over.

It's not exactly like Nintendo Europe are actually doing anything else which is preventing them releasing Trauma Team, their release schedule for the rest of the year is barren and the Trauma games sell reasonably well.

farnham

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just want Xenoblade and Last Story.

If those don't come to the state, I'll be very, very, very disappointed.
they seem to be too high tier not to come over tbh

dani_dc

MidnightScott said:
http://kirameki.altervista.org/eng/rainbow.php

The Italian will probably come out first since they are Italians, but I don't mind waiting for an english translation!

The patch will work like Fatal Frame IV one, so no homebrew, just put the proper files on the SD card and voila.
Only SD card and no homebrewing? How the heck does that work?

I mean I guess I have to homebrew the console to at least run the game (already own it) so it wouldn't be a big deal if it needed homebrewing, just curious on how it works :lol

oh great, another thread to express my utter bewilderment in NOA's decision to never publish the fully localized Disaster Report and Trace Memory Wii games, which are fully localized.

Games they can't possibly lose money on, all they'd have to do remove all the u's from colour and they're good to go.

If they can put out Flingsmash at 30 bones, why not some other stuff, like Dynamic Zan, or the aforementioned and fully localized Trace Memory 2 and Diaster. What gives?

Top Bottom