• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Naite

The "parrying disabled by guarding enemy" seems misleading. I don't think it means the actual parry skills. It stops your attack from bouncing off their guard so you can combo into your end of combo skills while theyre still blocking. This is great for my tornado spear build.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm really stuck on the
succubus
in mission 3. I'm like level 36 or something and this is a level 12 mission. I'm trying and trying and I know I'm probably not "gud" enough but hell.

I'm mainly one-handed swords, but also have a really good spear.

Any hot protips, gamepros?

Ogawa-san

Quick question. How long would it take for a new player to get enough money/Glory to unlock the Okatsu skin while mostly fighting revenants? I'd be willing to tolerate a William playthrough if I can get enough to use Okatsu for the DLC. I'm also willing to farm,

If it's not too bad....I'm getting the Deluxe Edition.
I don't remember how long it took me to get through the first difficulty, but I'd say it should take a good 30h at least. You'll go through the entire main game to unlock main and side missions, then co-op as a visitor for glory - you can't get summoned to a mission you haven't completed yet.

On the bright side you don't have to look at William for too long, much cheaper skins are unlocked along the way. You can afford one or two just killing revenants here and there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
30 hours/a playthrough is not very long for me. Very well. Got the Deluxe Edition so I'm all set. Can't wait to die in Japan.

Tome sold a huge chunk of divine fragments so I got to reforge a bunch. Got fire, fire damage bonus, close combat attack. I also got CTA stamina multiple times but I want magic or spirit for that bonus...

I'm really stuck on the
succubus
in mission 3. I'm like level 36 or something and this is a level 12 mission. I'm trying and trying and I know I'm probably not "gud" enough but hell.

• Keep your spacing at a mid distance
  • Dodge through purple
  • Only hard punish the umbrella/kicks if its the 4th input
  • Use your ki breaking moves - For the katana go for kick, or the ki explosion
Super old reference video
https://youtu.be/rE6LAWB6ZUM

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
  • Keep your spacing at a mid distance
  • Dodge through purple
  • Only hard punish the umbrella/kicks if its the 4th input
  • Use your ki breaking moves - For the katana go for kick, or the ki explosion
Super old reference video
https://youtu.be/rE6LAWB6ZUM
Thank you! I can see some good tips here already. Truthfully, though I am trying to keep mobile, I'm doing a lot of heavy attacks. I may give the ol' spear a go and try to follow the video a bit.

Thanks again.

pvp and co-op on Way of the Demon give you the most. You can try co-op on Way of the Strong but it gives you lees I think than Way of th Demon.

Twookie

are there any other alternatives? I'm not sure I want to renew my ps+ for it :/

I've heard revenant farming sucks for glory farm, but I guess I'll just have to resort to that or just give up all together on it.

Dragoshi1

Same, getting ready to grind revenants for glory, because those female skins are super expensive.

I keep seeing that the one mission on the bridge with the Yo-kai gauntlet is the best way to grind, but 70,000 glory is a lot...

Baalzebup

I'm really stuck on the
succubus

Thank you! I can see some good tips here already. Truthfully, though I am trying to keep mobile, I'm doing a lot of heavy attacks. I may give the ol' spear a go and try to follow the video a bit.

Thanks again.
Here is a full breakdown video of most of her attacks, including how to deal with them.

xuchu

Can anyone who has the Fuku skin confirm that her hat doesn't show up when you check the 'don't show headgear' option? I know it works this way for some of the male skins like obsidian samurai but I see conflicting info about the female skins.

The "parrying disabled by guarding enemy" seems misleading. I don't think it means the actual parry skills. It stops your attack from bouncing off their guard so you can combo into your end of combo skills while theyre still blocking. This is great for my tornado spear build.

That does actually sound very powerful for PVE. I thought it was just a PVP specific effect, which wouldn't really help me as I don't even have psplus.

Ogawa-san

Can anyone who has the Fuku skin confirm that her hat doesn't show up when you check the 'don't show headgear' option? I know it works this way for some of the male skins like obsidian samurai but I see conflicting info about the female skins.
I wish but no, can't get rid of her weird hat. Helmet toggle doesn't do anything for female skins.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can anyone who has the Fuku skin confirm that her hat doesn't show up when you check the 'don't show headgear' option? I know it works this way for some of the male skins like obsidian samurai but I see conflicting info about the female skins...
Just tried this but her big ol hat still shows up. :(
Team Ninja, why? Probably another 50K glory in upcoming dlc lol.
Edit: beaten

So I fell off this game several months ago after making it to the last region. If I pick this back up now, are there any fundamental changes I should be aware of?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can someone pls guide/point me to direction for the most disgustingly OP dual sword build currently? As in armor sets required and dual sword type. I know most are mix and matching with the master swordsman's set but currently I'm 4 piece warrior of west, 5 piece Kingos, 1 piece Saika's(ravenwing rifle). I'm looking for most damage output w/out going critical or too much magic/weight. Have 99 in Heart & Skill so focused there. Still can't roll/find CTA Skill A+ transferable though.
Current battle stats melee weapon 1 attack is in the 2200s, shit break(46).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Another question. Can you respec to a lower level, or is it like Dark Souls II/III where you can only respect to your current level?

xuchu

I wish but no, can't get rid of her weird hat. Helmet toggle doesn't do anything for female skins.

Just tried this but her big ol hat still shows up. :(
Team Ninja, why? Probably another 50K glory in upcoming dlc lol.
Edit: beaten

Awww that's a shame. Okatsu it is then, will probably have to wait until the week is over for glory rewards. Fully expect
Maria
skin to be 500k glory. Team ninja why?!

xuchu

Can someone pls guide/point me to direction for the most disgustingly OP dual sword build currently? As in armor sets required and dual sword type. I know most are mix and matching with the master swordsman's set but currently I'm 4 piece warrior of west, 5 piece Kingos, 1 piece Saika's(ravenwing rifle). I'm looking for most damage output w/out going critical or too much magic/weight. Have 99 in Heart & Skill so focused there. Still can't roll/find CTA Skill A+ transferable though.

It just depends on your playstyle. I really like using sign of the cross and iai strike so what I use is 4pc Kingo/4pc Master Swordsman/1pc Sanada w/yasakani of course. You can use 5 pc Kingo if you don't have access to Sanada crimson or if you want more damage from behind. It's probably much better actually.

For what it's worth I use warrior of the west bow and ravenwing rifle as well for their 2pc bonuses but they don't really matter that much to me.

Ogawa-san

Another question. Can you respec to a lower level, or is it like Dark Souls II/III where you can only respect to your current level?
When you respec you get all the amrita spent on levels back, so you can just not spend them and stay at level 1 if you want.

The downside is having to walk around holding pretty much all amrita you ever earned. Game gets a lot more tense when you're constantly at risk of losing a few billion on death.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It just depends on your playstyle. I really like using sign of the cross and iai strike so what I use is 4pc Kingo/4pc Master Swordsman/1pc Sanada w/yasakani of course. You can use 5 pc Kingo if you don't have access to Sanada crimson or if you want more damage from behind. It's probably much better actually.

For what it's worth I use warrior of the west bow and ravenwing rifle as well for their 2pc bonuses but they don't really matter that much to me.
Thanks, I shall give this a try. Really need to incorporate Master's set cause I'm also a big fan of sign of the cross.

Also, highest weapon drop for me so far was a single 205. How do I acquire 210 weapon(s)? Forging or playing highest level side mission on WotD?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
When you respec you get all the amrita spent on levels back, so you can just not spend them and stay at level 1 if you want.

The downside is having to walk around holding pretty much all amrita you ever earned. Game gets a lot more tense when you're constantly at risk of losing a few billion on death.

That's fantastic. Thanks!

Naite

Cool thanks, need a good place to farm green stuff and that mission seems like it :)

Yea it pretty much does everything. Gets gear you can upgrade to +20 pretty quickly, still make plenty of money by selling non-greens and anything less than +14, and tons of xp. Only thing I haven't seen from it is over lvl 200 gear.

Dragoshi1

UM.

Does PvP not matchmake or something!? I feel like I'm being paired against end game equipped people! I keep getting 1HKO half the time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
HsPuvfv.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So if I understand correctly, you used to be able to get copies of player's gear via defeating their revenants...but now the game was patched so you get a randomized copy of the same item?

I kind of don't care cause I've been getting crazy gear right from the beginning by cheesing revenants but man....I played too late T_T.

So if I understand correctly, you used to be able to get copies of player's gear via defeating their revenants...but now the game was patched so you get a randomized copy of the same item?

I kind of don't care cause I've been getting crazy gear right from the beginning by cheesing revenants but man....I played too late T_T.

Only the stuff that was equipped pre-patch gets randomized perks.

The gear you find post-patch can be shared as-is.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ohhh that's good to know. That's one hell of a smart feature. I'm already decked out in cool shit from the very beginning!

After doing some testing myself the best damage output for dual swords seems to be Master Swordsman 4 piece, Tatanashi 3 piece, Kingo's 2 piece with the chest piece being a free slot for any light armor set bonus. Its actually about a 28% damage increase from the Kingo's and Master swordsman's build I was using prior.

Set piece breakdown:

Head: Master Swordsman
Chest: Iga Ninja
Arms: Tatanashi
Legs: Tatanashi
Feet: Master Swordsman

Accessory 1: Yakasani Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage , + Fire damage, Living Weapon attack enhancement, Unlimited Onmyo

Accessory 2: Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage, +Fire Damage, Unlimited Ninjutsu, Defense scaling with Spirit, Onmyo Duration Rank C for Extraction talisman

Primary Wep: Master Swordsman + Fire
Secondary: Kingo

Primary Ranged: Bellowing Cannon (for extra + fire damage)
Secondary Ranged: Saika's

Elixir
Quick Change Scroll
Tiger Running Scroll
Extraction Talisman
Weakness Talisman
Power Pill
Makibashi (ninja slow skill) / Suppa Scroll / Shadowround Talisman
Sacred Water / Keikai Talisman (when going against bosses)​

Guardian Spirit:
Tengen Kujaku 1st / Kara Jishi 2nd (You can Swap Tengen for Suzaku for even more fire dot damage but I prefer the bigger on hit damage boost from tengen)

I also have a Lightning Master swordsman dual kat but I dont yet have the same amount of Lightning damage to stack for it and it only has A skill scaling so its damage is substantially less but it does have a roll for additional damage from Sign of the cross so that particular skill hits really hard. Provided you have gear more suited for it or prefer lightning you might want to go with Kara Jishi as your primary for the added lightning damage with Tengen as secondary for the extended elemental duration. It also has the added benefit of not being reliant on extraction talisman for the damage boost so that frees up an item hotkey for another Onmyo magic or ninjutsu item. I actually prefer the elemental effect so I'm working on getting the necessary accessories for that build now.

It also has the advantage of being incredibly high toughness but the catch is you'll need high investment in Str/Stam to maintain B agil. You'll want Agil damage bonus and Familiarity damage bonus on your wep and ranged wep. Consecutive attacks is crazy powerful but can be tricky to build up so I prefer the flat boost of the former two. I'm currently using a Fire Master Swordsmans Dual Kat with 22 fire damage, +damage from fire on wep 44%, A agil damage bonus, AA Skill Scaling and 25 close combat life recovery. Base damage in tootltip with full familiarity at +17 is 2390. My current chest piece is the Iga Ninja set fr the ninja skill replenish after LW. It has Reduced elemental damage, Life from amrita absorption, attack (transfer), + toughness (to put me just over a toughness threshold with my title perks) and unlimited ninjutsu. as stated prior this build was a massive damge boos from my Kingo'/Master Swordsman set. I also tested Warrior of the East + Master Swordsman and Warrior of the West + Master swordsman. Warrior of the east was actually also a minor improvement over kingo's and Warrior of the west was a net damage loss over the kingo's build.

Dragoshi1

5 hours straight PvP, and I finally have the Glory for my first female skin.

Now to avoid it like the plague and get back to the game.

Grabbed this on a whim, whats the ETA for all the DLC if any? Wanna know if I should wait or jump in asap. (Will be after I finish Nier either way)

Got this awesome looking odachi from the
giant skeleton
in WOTD. It's called Bloodstained Cleaver. Rolled CTA Magic A- (Magic is one of my high stats), fire, fire damage bonus, CCA critical, CCA ki reduction critical. Pretty happy for now.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
After doing some testing myself the best damage output for dual swords seems to be Master Swordsman 4 piece, Tatanashi 3 piece, Kingo's 2 piece with the chest piece being a free slot for any light armor set bonus. Its actually about a 28% damage increase from the Kingo's and Master swordsman's build I was using prior.

Set piece breakdown:

Head: Master Swordsman
Chest: Iga Ninja
Arms: Tatanashi
Legs: Tatanashi
Feet: Master Swordsman

Accessory 1: Yakasani Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage , + Fire damage, Living Weapon attack enhancement, Unlimited Onmyo

Accessory 2: Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage, +Fire Damage, Unlimited Ninjutsu, Defense scaling with Spirit, Onmyo Duration Rank C for Extraction talisman

Primary Wep: Master Swordsman + Fire
Secondary: Kingo

Primary Ranged: Bellowing Cannon (for extra + fire damage)
Secondary Ranged: Saika's

Elixir
Quick Change Scroll
Tiger Running Scroll
Extraction Talisman
Weakness Talisman
Power Pill
Makibashi (ninja slow skill) / Suppa Scroll / Shadowround Talisman
Sacred Water / Keikai Talisman (when going against bosses)​

Guardian Spirit:
Tengen Kujaku 1st / Kara Jishi 2nd (You can Swap Tengen for Suzaku for even more fire dot damage but I prefer the bigger on hit damage boost from tengen)

I also have a Lightning Master swordsman dual kat but I dont yet have the same amount of Lightning damage to stack for it and it only has A skill scaling so its damage is substantially less but it does have a roll for additional damage from Sign of the cross so that particular skill hits really hard. Provided you have gear more suited for it or prefer lightning you might want to go with Kara Jishi as your primary for the added lightning damage with Tengen as secondary for the extended elemental duration. It also has the added benefit of not being reliant on extraction talisman for the damage boost so that frees up an item hotkey for another Onmyo magic or ninjutsu item. I actually prefer the elemental effect so I'm working on getting the necessary accessories for that build now.

It also has the advantage of being incredibly high toughness but the catch is you'll need high investment in Str/Stam to maintain B agil. You'll want Agil damage bonus and Familiarity damage bonus on your wep and ranged wep. Consecutive attacks is crazy powerful but can be tricky to build up so I prefer the flat boost of the former two. I'm currently using a Fire Master Swordsmans Dual Kat with 22 fire damage, +damage from fire on wep 44%, A agil damage bonus, AA Skill Scaling and 25 close combat life recovery. Base damage in tootltip with full familiarity at +17 is 2390. My current chest piece is the Iga Ninja set fr the ninja skill replenish after LW. It has Reduced elemental damage, Life from amrita absorption, attack (transfer), + toughness (to put me just over a toughness threshold with my title perks) and unlimited ninjutsu. as stated prior this build was a massive damge boos from my Kingo'/Master Swordsman set. I also tested Warrior of the East + Master Swordsman and Warrior of the West + Master swordsman. Warrior of the east was actually also a minor improvement over kingo's and Warrior of the west was a net damage loss over the kingo's build.
This is excellent. Thanks for the detailed write-up, Grumplestiltskin! Looking forward to incorporating this info into my test build tomorrow, something to look forward to Nioh-wise. :)

This is excellent. Thanks for the detailed write-up, Grumplestiltskin! Looking forward to incorporating this info into my test build tomorrow, something to look forward to Nioh-wise. :)

This is my build, Kaako: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKtdRXPxXKQ

I don't know about hard numbers compared to Grumple's build, but I will say that I believe any build going for the most damage needs to use Kato as the primary guardian spirit, period.

Also, obviously this video is from before the patch that added AA stuff, but my build would be the same, just ideally with AA skill scaling (which I'll never get, lol).

No problem. Glad it was helpful. I think I might actually try and do a bare handed/ninjutsu build now just for the sheer challenge of it. With the right clan choice transferable bare handed attack stats on gear and the new bare handed attack skill increase i feel like it might actually be viable. Either way it'll be fun experimenting with it.

This is my build, Kaako: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKtdRXPxXKQ

I don't know about hard numbers compared to Grumple's build, but I will say that I believe any build going for the most damage needs to use Kato as the primary guardian spirit, period.

Also, obviously this video is from before the patch that added AA stuff, but my build would be the same, just ideally with AA skill scaling (which I'll never get, lol).

Tengen gives a bigger damage boost than Kato its just reliant on using extraction talisman for its effect. If you prefer having no upkeep then yea Kato is better but if you dont mind upkeep than both Kara Jishi and Tengen have an edge on sheer max damage output. I've tested it personally and Kato is about an 18% damage loss over the other two provided their buff is active.

Top Bottom