• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Tengen gives a bigger damage boost than Kato its just reliant on using extraction talisman for its effect. If you prefer having no upkeep then yea Kato is better but if you dont mind upkeep than both Kara Jishi and Tengen have an edge on sheer max damage output. I've tested it personally and Kato is about an 18% damage loss over the other two provided their buff is active.

Yep, I definitely meant with no buffs to keep up.

Does anyone happen to know if Ninjutsu scaling, Agil or Equip Weight bonuses scale with Bare handed damage? Or perhaps armor bonus stat scaling like Obsidian set's A rank stam scaling?

Yep, I definitely meant with no buffs to keep up.

Yea that's understandable. kato is low maintenance. I personally dont mind the extra maintenance required for Kara or Tengen so they come out on top for me. Its personal preference really. But I would say that the extended elemental effect from Tengen is really nice but so is Kato's Ki Regen sooo haha both are good choices I think.

xuchu

After doing some testing myself the best damage output for dual swords seems to be Master Swordsman 4 piece, Tatanashi 3 piece, Kingo's 2 piece with the chest piece being a free slot for any light armor set bonus. Its actually about a 28% damage increase from the Kingo's and Master swordsman's build I was using prior.

Set piece breakdown:

Head: Master Swordsman
Chest: Iga Ninja
Arms: Tatanashi
Legs: Tatanashi
Feet: Master Swordsman

Accessory 1: Yakasani Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage , + Fire damage, Living Weapon attack enhancement, Unlimited Onmyo

Accessory 2: Magatama w/ Yokai close combat damage, +Fire Damage, Unlimited Ninjutsu, Defense scaling with Spirit, Onmyo Duration Rank C for Extraction talisman

Primary Wep: Master Swordsman + Fire
Secondary: Kingo

Primary Ranged: Bellowing Cannon (for extra + fire damage)
Secondary Ranged: Saika's

Elixir
Quick Change Scroll
Tiger Running Scroll
Extraction Talisman
Weakness Talisman
Power Pill
Makibashi (ninja slow skill) / Suppa Scroll / Shadowround Talisman
Sacred Water / Keikai Talisman (when going against bosses)​

Guardian Spirit:
Tengen Kujaku 1st / Kara Jishi 2nd (You can Swap Tengen for Suzaku for even more fire dot damage but I prefer the bigger on hit damage boost from tengen)

I also have a Lightning Master swordsman dual kat but I dont yet have the same amount of Lightning damage to stack for it and it only has A skill scaling so its damage is substantially less but it does have a roll for additional damage from Sign of the cross so that particular skill hits really hard. Provided you have gear more suited for it or prefer lightning you might want to go with Kara Jishi as your primary for the added lightning damage with Tengen as secondary for the extended elemental duration. It also has the added benefit of not being reliant on extraction talisman for the damage boost so that frees up an item hotkey for another Onmyo magic or ninjutsu item. I actually prefer the elemental effect so I'm working on getting the necessary accessories for that build now.

It also has the advantage of being incredibly high toughness but the catch is you'll need high investment in Str/Stam to maintain B agil. You'll want Agil damage bonus and Familiarity damage bonus on your wep and ranged wep. Consecutive attacks is crazy powerful but can be tricky to build up so I prefer the flat boost of the former two. I'm currently using a Fire Master Swordsmans Dual Kat with 22 fire damage, +damage from fire on wep 44%, A agil damage bonus, AA Skill Scaling and 25 close combat life recovery. Base damage in tootltip with full familiarity at +17 is 2390. My current chest piece is the Iga Ninja set fr the ninja skill replenish after LW. It has Reduced elemental damage, Life from amrita absorption, attack (transfer), + toughness (to put me just over a toughness threshold with my title perks) and unlimited ninjutsu. as stated prior this build was a massive damge boos from my Kingo'/Master Swordsman set. I also tested Warrior of the East + Master Swordsman and Warrior of the West + Master swordsman. Warrior of the east was actually also a minor improvement over kingo's and Warrior of the west was a net damage loss over the kingo's build.

This is such an amazing post. How much stamina and strength do you need to get to B agility ranking? And have you played around with some of the new armour effects like bonus from Amrita absorption(attack) and bonus after purification(attack)? They seem to all stack on things like carnage talisman and tengen high stance buff. Tengen really is the MVP though.

Also I have omnyo magic duration boost (carnage talisman) B but it only gives me like 3 extra seconds when without it. Could be due to just having 20 magic though.

There is also a new weapon special effect equipment weight damage bonus which apparently can go up to AA. Do you reckon it stacks with Tatenashi set?

BeeDog

So, finished the main campaign yesterday (
damn those clone Kelleys were terribly hard
). Now I unlocked all the two-boss side missions and the DLC mission.

Unfortunately, I feel like I've hit a big roadblock; can't finish a single one of the two-boss missions, and the boss of the first DLC mission completely annihilates me.

I'm level 117 so I feel insanely underpowered. Any suggestion on the best way to grind for a bit? :(

Ogawa-san

I'm level 117 so I feel insanely underpowered. Any suggestion on the best way to grind for a bit? :(
Try heading into the next difficulty and going through the first mission, it won't be a cakewalk but it's easier than the DLC or the duels. Take it slow and you'll get through with a bunch of extra levels and most of your gear replaced in just one mission.

BeeDog

Try heading into the next difficulty and going through the first mission, it won't be a cakewalk but it's easier than the DLC or the duels. Take it slow and you'll get through with a bunch of extra levels and most of your gear replaced in just one mission.

Completely skipped the fact that a new difficulty was unlocked, thanks!

This is such an amazing post. How much stamina and strength do you need to get to B agility ranking? And have you played around with some of the new armour effects like bonus from Amrita absorption(attack) and bonus after purification(attack)? They seem to all stack on things like carnage talisman and tengen high stance buff. Tengen really is the MVP though.

Also I have omnyo magic duration boost (carnage talisman) B but it only gives me like 3 extra seconds when without it. Could be due to just having 20 magic though.

There is also a new weapon special effect equipment weight damage bonus which apparently can go up to AA. Do you reckon it stacks with Tatenashi set?
I'm glad people found it helpful. Over the next week or so I'm going to be using a bare handed build to try and get some more reliable damage scaling figures from various scaling effects, set perks and how they work. I'll be posting my findings here once I do.

Equipment weight bonus on weapons is the same bonus that you get from tatenashi and just like Agil and Familiarity bonuses it does not stack. Pet of the reason the tatenashi set bonus is so great is that it allows for an additional scaling effect on top of the 2 one normally gets from their weapon and ranged wep.

As far as the buffs from Amrita absorption the attack increase one while it does stack with other buffs it appears to be additive not multiplicative. I personally actually find the ki recovery boost to be much more beneficial. That said I haven't tested these effects as extensively as most others yet so this is far from conclusive it's just my initial impressions.

As far as the duration bonus goes it seems to work off a raw percentage of total buff time so longer buffs benefit much more from them. Worth noting that this does seem to stack with the duration increase mastery for Omnyo though I still prefer the quick casts. That said every bit of extra time on rotations buffs is a big help that's why even at C rank to the extraction talisman i find it to be fairly beneficial simply because how regularly I rely on that spell with Tengen even if it is only an additional second or two it can add up.

Also it's worth mentioning that another reason the tatenashi set is so beneficial is that there seems to be some damage scaling with higher weight just as a default without the tatenashi perk factoring in. At around 31 I noticed that I was hitting around 5% harder all else being equal and that does seem to stack with the tatanshi bonus as well.

-EDIT-
As far as my stat splits go I'm currently using 27 Stam and 40 Str with the aforementioned gear. My total stay layout is as follows

Level 328
Body: 15
Heart: 99
Stam: 27
Strength: 40
Skill: 99
Dex: 30
Magic: 30
Spirit: 30

All future points will go into strength until it's capped and then likely Stam so I can start equipping a medium armor chest piece instead of light armor.

Worth mentioning to hit B rank agility with this equipment you only need 27 stamina and 13str. This is just my current stat allotment.
-END EDIT-

So, finished the main campaign yesterday (
damn those clone Kelleys were terribly hard
). Now I unlocked all the two-boss side missions and the DLC mission.

Unfortunately, I feel like I've hit a big roadblock; can't finish a single one of the two-boss missions, and the boss of the first DLC mission completely annihilates me.

Exact same thing happened to me. I thought the last area was super easy and finished everything off went to do the duel bosses and boss rush missions and got completely fucked up (lv 109 and highest armour was lv132), can usually get most down to half health before I just get hit with combo from them at the same time. Almost did two kings first try though with no buffs, debuffs or living weapon but was too knackered to attempt again but I had replayed their fights many times.

I did start the NG+ missions and they felt much easier and thought it a good idea to start fighting revenants with divine gear but whats with nearly all revenants wearing divine red demon gear? The perks don't seem that good.

After doing some testing myself the best damage output for dual swords seems to be Master Swordsman 4 piece, Tatanashi 3 piece, Kingo's 2 piece with the chest piece being a free slot for any light armor set bonus. Its actually about a 28% damage increase from the Kingo's and Master swordsman's build I was using prior.

"Master Swordsman 4 piece, Tatanashi 3 piece, Kingo's 2 piece" but you have 3 master, 2 tatanashi and 1 kingo. I have noticed other high level builds that say similar but are getting the set perks with one less armour, is there a perk later on in the game that does this?

Mesharey

How long can I expect the DLC to take.

I've done pre-update NG+
Everything? Maybe 3-4 hours, with NG+ it'll take longer.
Btw welcome back!

I think I'll respec and use Axe build, it helps because the long sword uses the same stats as well.

I love the dual swords but that uses different stats.
Used to spend my points on dual swords and axe, but I think my damage is weak now, well not weak but can be a lot better.

Mesharey

Anyone remembers the soft cap for stats? Was it lvl 20?

Gonna get everything to the soft cap then concentrate on strength.

Probably different now since cap lvl is 400.

JimPanzer

do bonuses on weapons only apply for the weapon itself or is it universal? Let's say I have +16 Grapple on a spear which I use on my second weapons slot. Does this also increase the grapple of the weapon I have in my first weapon slot?

SephiZack

do bonuses on weapons only apply for the weapon itself or is it universal? Let's say I have +16 Grapple on a spear which I use on my second weapons slot. Does this also increase the grapple of the weapon I have in my first weapon slot?

Only the weapon currently in use gives bonuses, but your bonuses from the ranged weapon currently equipped will apply to your melee weapon in use. So if you have Agility Damage Bonus on bow and your bow is the one you have currently equipped, then it will also apply to your melee weapon

JimPanzer

Only the weapon currently in use gives bonuses, but your bonuses from the ranged weapon currently equipped will apply to your melee weapon in use. So if you have Agility Damage Bonus on bow and your bow is the one you have currently equipped, then it will also apply to your melee weapon

Thanks! and how about set bonuses? If I equip a weapon of a set does it count towards the set pieces even though I don't use it?

Izuna

Banned
Ayyy, you're back. I did all the DLC missions in NG+ mode in about 4 hours.

4 hours, that's really great! :D

I'm so short for time that I haven't even started Nier and that was the only other game I wanted to finish before E3 haha.

I was lucky to have binged this when I did.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is my build, Kaako: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKtdRXPxXKQ

I don't know about hard numbers compared to Grumple's build, but I will say that I believe any build going for the most damage needs to use Kato as the primary guardian spirit, period.

Also, obviously this video is from before the patch that added AA stuff, but my build would be the same, just ideally with AA skill scaling (which I'll never get, lol).
This is also lovely for an all purpose hard hitting low maintenance build which I also am a big fan of(low maintenance)! Thank you AmethystEnd for the video. You guys have been tremendous help, appreciate it.
Today is build mix n' match day in Nioh lol. Really wish I would've saved some +20 attack transferable gloves before this patch randomized drops. I'm gonna miss the +40 attack on every piece when trying new builds.

Welcome back Izuna.

Hmm bare handed seems wayyyyy too reliant on buffs. Maybe i just need better rolls on my gear for it. Weird that they'd go out of their way to give you stuff to increase bare hand damage if it's not viable

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hmm bare handed seems wayyyyy too reliant on buffs. Maybe i just need better rolls on my gear for it. Weird that they'd go out of their way to give you stuff to increase bare hand damage if it's not viable
That's disappointing to read. A viable bare handed build would've been a very fun challenge on WotD.

That's disappointing to read. A viable bare handed build would've been a very fun challenge on WotD.

Yea. I was really looking forward to playing around with one but its just incredibly frustrating and not fun at all. I'm really disappointed :(

Guess I'll try making a thrown weapon build instead

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yea. I was really looking forward to playing around with one but its just incredibly frustrating and not fun at all. I'm really disappointed :(

Guess I'll try making a thrown weapon build instead
I hear ya. I became a fan of bare handed playstyle after that Kensei title. Loved how it put you in such a zen-like state.
Damnit TN, make bare handed viable pls. I know your peoples read this.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They really should've given us a barehanded moveset and skills.

Maybe they'll add gauntlet/claw weapons in a future dlc.
Let's goooo!

Do you guys recommend me rerolling any of the special effects for my current yokai shredder btw? Wish it had better base break. Still chasing that CTA(Skill) A+ transferable ;_;
QOj7wFy.jpg

Let's goooo!

Do you guys recommend me rerolling any of the special effects for my current yokai shredder btw? Wish it had better base break. Still chasing that CTA(Skill) A+ transferable ;_;

I've always wondered if each damage attribute truly affects damage in the same way.

For example, does +20% Close Combat Damage add the same amount of damage to Sign of the Cross as +20% Skill Damage, or is there some kind of multiplier fuckery that's hard to see?

Any way, I'd personally get straight up Close Combat Damage over specifically Skill Damage.

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't notice that was Skill Ki Damage, and also didn't notice you have Youkai Close Combat Damage locked in.

Never mind, lololol.

xuchu

I've always wondered if each damage attribute truly affects damage in the same way.

For example, does +20% Close Combat Damage add the same amount of damage to Sign of the Cross as +20% Skill Damage, or is there some kind of multiplier fuckery that's hard to see?

Any way, I'd personally get straight up Close Combat Damage over specifically Skill Damage.

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't notice that was Skill Ki Damage, and also didn't notice you have Youkai Close Combat Damage locked in.

Never mind, lololol.

Yes, that is something I would like to know as well. Been trying to roll CCD on my weapon that has SOTC damage up and I'm not sure if they conflict or not. Also what is up with all these new effects like damage against Amrita fiend up. The values are generally even lower than straight CCD. For specific enemy effects to be even remotely worth it, they should have values of like 50% or something.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Never mind, lololol.
Haha yea that's my only gripe and maybe I should just go for a 20% CCD Master swordman's sword instead of this one? Humans sometimes piss me off with this dual sword even though it does the job. I just need that massive damage on inflicted on everyone lol.

I also don't know regarding specific skill damage like sign of cross & if it adds it on top of the CCD. I hope so but that's gonna be a pain to forge/roll lol.

Let's goooo!

That dual kat is a terrible endgame weapon due to its locked in perks. It's meant as a starter weapon. Forge yourself some Master Swordsman Kats or O-Kanehira & Uguisumaru or Hige-Kiri & Hiza-Maru or Fudo Kuniyuki & Yahen Toshiro. All of those would be a huge improvement over what you currently have just from a stat standpoint. Master swordsman has the added perk of being part of arguably the best set out there for dual Kats.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That dual kat is a terrible endgame weapon due to its locked in perks. It's meant as a starter weapon. Forge yourself some Master Swordsman Kats or O-Kanehira & Uguisumaru or Hige-Kiri & Hiza-Maru or Fudo Kuniyuki & Yahen Toshiro. All of those would be a huge improvement over what you currently have just from a stat standpoint. Master swordsman has the added perk of being part of arguably the best set out there for dual Kats.
Yea sadly I realized this too late. :(
Got a ton of each you listed but gonna try to find a Master Swordsman one with all special effects unlocked. I got a shit ton of divine ones with all but one slot occupied. I need one with sign of cross skill + the added master swordsman sign of cross perk added lol.

xuchu

You know what's even better? Set bonus sign of the cross + weapon roll sign of the cross + weapon roll skill damage. Whooo boy it never gets old

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing with 24.7% Weapon SOTC damage and 21% skill damage too. Using 5pc Kingo's/4pc master Swordsman and its shredding through things. Do you know if SOTC conflicts with CCD though?

Also I've noticed something weird when stacking lots of final blow damage almost like there are some hidden diminishing returns at some point.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing with 24.7% Weapon SOTC damage and 21% skill damage too. Using 5pc Kingo's/4pc master Swordsman and its shredding through things. Do you know if SOTC conflicts with CCD though?

Also I've noticed something weird when stacking lots of final blow damage almost like there are some hidden diminishing returns at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game stopped you from getting more than +100% in the equation.

czBEkss.jpg

As soon as I reroll that c rank equipment weight perk into high rank agil or Familiarity this is going to be the perfect weapon. Master swordsman set with added sign of the prods damage roll, pierce guard and 22 water damage! I could also transfer something a bit better than close combat life drain but I like the survivability boost.

xuchu

I have been unbanned for a long time

Just had to stop day after the update.

Did we get a new weapon type?

Welcome back dude. Not only did we get a new weapon type (Odachi) you will be more excited to know that there is an Okatsu skin now.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
http://i.imgur.com/czBEkss.jpg

As soon as I reroll that c rank equipment weight perk into high rank agil or Familiarity this is going to be the perfect weapon. Master swordsman set with added sign of the prods damage roll, pierce guard and 22 water damage! I could also transfer something a bit better than close combat life drain but I like the survivability boost.
Sexy effects, I want! What's the best way of acquiring something like this? Forging, drops through beating missions, or buying sacred treasure weapon from tea house?

Izuna

Banned
Wasn't your ban one that you asked for? I remember you asking for a short ban.

Oh, that was like 48 hours. I smashed that exam 😊

~~

Okatsu costume...

You mean, I get to be Bae?!

Odachi is long sword right? Sounds like I gotta use it for the whole DLC.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Am I gunna be soul matching my equipment or getting new ones?
I personally soul matched with purple 70%+ gear to get em to highest levels for cheap. And then rerolled desirable new special effects.
Not sure which is best route though.

Izuna

Banned
I personally soul matched with purple 70%+ gear to get em to highest levels for cheap. And then rerolled desirable new special effects.
Not sure which is best route though.

That I can do so is great. I think I got a +10 Katana that has all the perks I wanted.

Damnit I wish I could play tonight :( already bought the dlc and everything

Top Bottom