• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

N° 2048

I played a 2v2 PvP match where something very weird happened.

I would lock on to the player but every time I went to attack them my swing would go sideways and hit the ground no where near them.

It wasn't even swinging where the player used to be on my screen.... Some kind of a weird tracking issue.

Half of my PvP matches have been like this. Hitting air but still registering, huge lag when dashing so it just snaps to you out of nowhere, etc.

Enjoying the DLC. Odachi works for me, a heavy hitter different enough from Axe to be using both. Been transferring skills like Poison augment and Lightning damage boost to appropriate weapons like the Kaido axe and the Poison-based Odachi. Trying to get a solid copy of that new axe type from the dlc (first forge was a purple), but not consistently getting centipede carapaces for it. The carapace is listed as a reward on a new Twilight mission at least (started and left the game there last night).

Solid stages, engaging new enemies, neat new weapon, and I always welcome new summons.

xuchu

Made a video montage of my road to top 10 ranking in PvP with Sword and Bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWwQ4qviqc

Level 284, No Auto-Aim and No Ninjutsu/Omnyo unless the enemy started using them first.

Nice stuff punishing the blade spin and windstorm spammers with the headshots man. When so many people rely on those skills more PVE, it's inevitably going to transition to PVP. Congrats man!

Zack go kick his ass!

SephiZack

Nice stuff punishing the blade spin and windstorm spammers with the headshots man. When so many people rely on those skills more PVE, it's inevitably going to transition to PVP. Congrats man!

Zack go kick his ass!

Damn can't do anything about godmode players xD

Blade spin and windstorm spammers became easy to handle after the beginning. The scariest players I fought against were those that had Protection+Carnage+Steel+Infinite LW for every single round. I can only use protection+steel for 1 round (I have 1 of them) so dealing with them is very difficult.

I fought against the current Rank 1 player countless times and won half the matches, but every victory was very very close. He was able to kill me with 2 onmyo wind shots and seemed like he was always in Living Weapon mode. (But it was nice receiving messages from him claiming I am the scariest person he met in PvP xD)

Deku Tree

Ok I am running an Axe build. I started WotD at under level 200. Now I did all but one mission in region 1 and region 2 and I haven't touched any other regions and I am not exactly trying to kill every enemy and I am already like level 255 or something.

I understand that after you get to level 300 the cost of leveling goes up a lot or something and you don't level up as fast even in the later regions...

anyway I am 99 STR and 99 STAMINA and I am now just pumping into heart to get it really high. I haven't touched any other statistics except for 30 Magic and 25 Spirit.

So what other statistic after heart would be good to pump into as I level up?

yea the snakes are interesting, but pushovers. The new big yokais are fuckin A though and pretty much have a skill set you'd expect from a boss.

Hate the kappa though, give me ng2 flashbacks.

Alastor3

What should I know before playing Nioh? Im about to start.

Any missable quests and stuff? What's a good build? Any things the game doesn't explain that is essential?

N° 2048

Brawly uses spin2win. It's not very effective.

Guess I'm weak then, which is weird because I only get trash weapon drops. This is a post-game DLC, yet nothing is better than what I have. Come on.

I use strong attack on mid-stance spear while making sure to dodge left and right and never stay center to them, back up once in a while though.

Now someone please give me tips for these motherfucking new Namahage enemy. Using spear+katana magic build.

What should I know before playing Nioh? Im about to start.

Any missable quests and stuff? What's a good build? Any things the game doesn't explain that is essential?

For build just go with what you want, this game makes it insanely easy to respec. Once you get the hang of everything you can start refining your build and respec.

i'm totally happy with all new bosses. they are fun to fight and look great. will definitely try them on higher difficulty.

btw how hard is demon mode?

Started WotD yesterday and it's pretty damn hard. I'm level 188---still in the first region and just trying to upgrade my gear as much as possible in hopes that it becomes somewhat easier. Enjoying the extra challenge minus the random 1 hit KO's from harder enemies

Dragoshi1

I gave up on this game at the first real boss during the game's first week out, and after the new DLC/update, decided to go back, and now I'm at the Centipede boss and having a great time!

I've been doing sub missions as they appear, and taking my time on these bosses and stages, before I'd rush them, and get killed every time.

Do we have any data on how effective the Equipment Weight damage bonus is and how it scales? I'm curious if it might be better than the Familiarity bonus or Agility bonus.

Jimrpg

I stopped Nioh for about two months when I finally got Yakuza 0 (figured I'd play them in terms of release).

Finally got back into it, and at the end of the mines level, but boy I was SO rusty, had to farm significantly for elixirs and antidotes to fight the
Great Centipede
. Also are we still spoilering boss names?

I think one thing that this game could do a better job of is to make it easier to get certain items. With elixirs I can find more kodamas which is ok, though still hard especially if you're on the first level of the map and you don't have access to other levels to get more kodamas. But I can't do that with things like Antidotes. Perhaps there could be a shop at the shrine so I can just spend money to buy items i need. That way I can concentrate on beating the boss, rather than farm for stuff for an hour before it.

Man, getting Change to attack...AA is really hard, got two times for Spirit, but I don't need it and two times AA- for Heart but I won't settle with AA- I need AA for Heart lol

Also, does anyone know how the damage bonus based on your Ninjitsu skill works?

Naite

Thanks to the guy I co-oped Cursed Doppelganger with on WotD. It came down to the very last revive and all my elixirs/rejuvenation/quick scrolls all used up but we managed to beat him. I don't know how they'd expect you to take that boss on solo with all those extra enemies spawning in.

I think I got a level 206 armor piece from there too.

xuchu

I stopped Nioh for about two months when I finally got Yakuza 0 (figured I'd play them in terms of release).

Finally got back into it, and at the end of the mines level, but boy I was SO rusty, had to farm significantly for elixirs and antidotes to fight the
Great Centipede
. Also are we still spoilering boss names?

I think one thing that this game could do a better job of is to make it easier to get certain items. With elixirs I can find more kodamas which is ok, though still hard especially if you're on the first level of the map and you don't have access to other levels to get more kodamas. But I can't do that with things like Antidotes. Perhaps there could be a shop at the shrine so I can just spend money to buy items i need. That way I can concentrate on beating the boss, rather than farm for stuff for an hour before it.

When you're at the shrine what you can do is offer up unwanted items, you'll get things like Amrita, elixirs and antidotes. Early on it's a good source for those thingS.

Thanks to the guy I co-oped Cursed Doppelganger with on WotD. It came down to the very last revive and all my elixirs/rejuvenation/quick scrolls all used up but we managed to beat him. I don't know how they'd expect you to take that boss on solo with all those extra enemies spawning in.

I think I got a level 206 armor piece from there too.

Damn, that's the
Shigezane
submission right. Sounds like team ninja ain't playing around. Maybe that's why the complete all WotD missions trophy is at 0.0%.

Man, getting Change to attack...AA is really hard, got two times for Spirit, but I don't need it and two times AA- for Heart but I won't settle with AA- I need AA for Heart lol

Also, does anyone know how the damage bonus based on your Ninjitsu skill works?

How much does it actually change in your attack compared to A+?

Baalzebup

Da fuck i was doing a nice Odachi beatdown on the Ogress boss rush, and then she dealt damage to me with her death animation?
https://youtu.be/imyMVxgAY14?t=57s
Yeah, I noted the same thing when I was doing that stage when they dropped originally. I never quite managed to get a full understanding on how it works, but it definitely happens with a certain consistency. Never seen it anywhere else but with the Ogress in that particular stage.

brawly

Well you gotta show your stats and your weapon stats if you make a video like that. How powerful is your hammer/axe? Did you put enough level ups into strength?

That axe has 788 attack. Strength is at 21. I have Skill at 49. Should I respec?

I don't really play with axes. Sword, spear and dual is more my style (those weapons are better).

Deku Tree

That axe has 788 attack. Strength is at 21. I have Skill at 49. Should I respec?

I don't really play with axes. Sword, spear and dual is more my style (those weapons are better).

Yeah skill is useless for a Axe. Skill can be at 5 if you don't also use a different skill weapon.

You should also soul match your highest level weapon that your don't need into your Axe if you want to use it.

SephiZack

Ok wrote some tips for Nioh PvP based on my experience with playing online.

Video version: https://youtu.be/Bx9i4-sTYw4?list=PLv28sBtafuHN3e5gb7YD1DeRY1ZukB2Sl

TL;DW

I am not the best player in the world, but I feel like I can handle myself fairly well in PvP and people asked me make a guide so here it is ;D

I stopped PvPing for now, but if you want me to help you you can pop in one of my livestreams and ask for a friendly sparring to receive a live critique or even just playing for fun.

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/sephizack2

First, this is not exactly a "tip" but you can go to online settings and change matching area to limited to help with lag. This is not flawless and if you live in a continent with few players it might take a while to find a match, but if you don't have that issue it will help you greatly.

If your opponents has a much higher level, more buffs or a heavy equipment, don't trade hits. When two people just run towards each other and start attacking, the one with more levels or buffs or better equipment will win. This is where the "PvP is unbalanced" comes from.
You want to play fast; many of those people will think they're invincible and start using long animation skills or play unsafe. You want to keep dashing around them (not running away) dodging their attacks and punish as soon as you see an opening. By punish I don't mean run up to them and start your 4-hits combo, but I mean quickly dash to them WHILE they are mid-animation, give a hit and then dash back. By timing this correctly (assuming low lag due to restricted matching), you will be able to land a hit without receiving damage. Don't worry if you do, you don't have to do it perfectly and I certainly don't do that perfectly but this is 100 times better than mindless attacking which will never help when you're outmatched in build. I personally played against plenty of people that were way higher level than myself, with way more buffs and better build and it's still possible to win. The scariest people I got matched against were Semtex_Jack and Callous_Bane and have won/lost half of my dozen matches against them. It will be very close and hard and one mistake will get you oneshot, but even in loss you can still make it hard for them to win.

I noticed lots of people that don't pay attention to their Ki. During a fight, paying attention to your Ki is in my opinion MORE important than health. Even if you have an advantage, DON'T initiate a fight with way less Ki than your enemy. In the video you can see plenty of times where the enemy started attacking me with almost no Ki left while I had plenty of Ki. It's easy to just backstep, dash into their face again and give a single attack to make them run out of Ki for a grapple. A successfull grapple can turn the match in your favour if they run out of Ki and viceversa.

Tip when you are against kusa/dual spammers. I noticed a lot of people get angry at the players that will just use the same skill with 2 seconds of animation over and over again without doing anything else and when you think about it, those are actually the easiest players to deal with. You already know what he is going to do, so why do you run up to his face and start your 3-hit combo?
What you want to do is bait their skill while you are in close-mid range and backstep as soon as they use their skill (or even before to play it safe). They will start their skill where they spin for 2-3 seconds while being vulnerable. You have plenty of time to EITHER shoot an arrow and backstep again (they will probably use the same skill again), or dash into their face as the skill is finishing, give one hit and then backstep twice (they will probably use the same skill again and you're very close).
Really, the only Kusarigama user I recall having problems dealing with is Semtex because he spiced things up after a bit and because he has many buffs. Overbuffed enemies are the ones you have to scared of, not predictable users who will only use one skill.

Ranged weapons. If you guys aren't lagging, please don't use your ranged weapon against an enemy who is not in attacking animation. Ranged weapons are easy to guard/dodge if there is no lag. The only times I got hit by ranged weapons (if I wasn't in attacking animation) was because there was so much lag the guy was shooting into my past, present and future at the same time. Most of the other times I can just guard or dash diagonally while closing the distance to punish them. Same thing happened to me. Whenever I missed a shot and they got close I was either hit or forced to guard and backstep. Ranged weapons have openings both while changing from melee to ranged and while changing back to melee weapon.

Was it like that from the beggining or did they change it? I would swear you couldn't before.

Also it looks like you can have other stuff AA as well, just got Enemies defeated and less armor stats both with AA-.

Edit.
Wow, you can have all damage buffs now at the same time, cc damage, fam damage, elemental damage buff, nice.

I'm gonna replace my guard ki reduction with +50% water damage, as I don't use block much anyway.

SephiZack

Was it like that from the beggining or did they change it? I would swear you couldn't before.

Also it looks like you can have other stuff AA as well, just got Enemies defeated and less armor stats both with AA-.

Edit.
Wow, you can have all damage buffs now at the same time, cc damage, fam damage, elemental damage buff, nice.

I'm gonna replace my guard ki reduction with +50% water damage, as I don't use block much anyway.

Close Combat Damage never competed with Familiarity/Agility Damage Bonus and Elemental Damage was also separate

hawk2025

Two things:

1) Holy crap this game is huge. I peeked at the mission list and I'm only halfway through

2) I'm always a few levels behind recommended for the main missions even doing the vast majority of side missions. Is that normal?

Two things:

1) Holy crap this game is huge. I peeked at the mission list and I'm only halfway through

2) I'm always a few levels behind recommended for the main missions even doing the vast majority of side missions. Is that normal?

Yeah thats normal I'm on the last region and the recommendation are in the hundreds and I have just reached level 90 and I have only died twice in missions and always level up before a boss fight, have also replayed many of missions multiple times. Using armour and weapons that are close to the recommended level seems to be more important.

Naite

Damn, that's the
Shigezane
submission right. Sounds like team ninja ain't playing around. Maybe that's why the complete all WotD missions trophy is at 0.0%.

Actually I think it's because that includes twilight missions and people are just waiting for them to rotate. But yea some of those later sub missions are rough. The ones where they throw a bunch of yokai at you and they include the umbrella or the chick that slows you down drove me nuts.

Top Bottom