• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

xuchu

What is the highest Close combat Ki reduction? I got 25% on my sword abs never got anything higher than that. I wish there was an official list of highest values possible for each special effect. Common Team Ninja, you can do it!

Yes, I think that's the highest. I have 24.9% and I've never seen higher. Hopefully the official guide, if it doesn't get delayed yet again, will have all this information.

But team ninja could easily introduce new effects in the next dlc putting it out of date and inaccurate. What they should do is that when you press options And highlight an effect, they should show the possible value range.

Also has anyone seen close combat ki damage and skill ki damage on a weapon at the same time? Want to try and bring haze back to its former glory. They might share the same pool though.

I didn't know they're still working on the guide, I thought it was long dead. What's the new date? I buy it cause it's Nioh related and I love the game.

Also, agree on the highlight showing highest possible value option, easy to do for them and very helpful for us.

Naite

So that red glowing theory definitely seems to be holding up for me. All my past runs have been boss arenas or skipping most of the level to fight the boss with 0 success. I did 2 runs on The One Eyed Dragon's Castle wearing my luck build and specifically targeting the glowing guys and I have a lvl 201 and 207 gear.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So that red glowing theory definitely seems to be holding up for me. All my past runs have been boss arenas or skipping most of the level to fight the boss with 0 success. I did 2 runs on The One Eyed Dragon's Castle wearing my luck build and specifically targeting the glowing guys and I have a lvl 201 and 207 gear.
Oh boy. :(
Time to do some test runs. What is your luck stat on your luck build btw?

Naite

Oh boy. :(
Time to do some test runs. What is your luck stat on your luck build btw?
It's at 227. Im using the swallowtail set + daiba-washi guardian for the luck. I'm just using shitty yellows and purples I crafted and it doesnt really go well with my high toughness playstyle so I'm getting my ass kicked a bit by that new dlc yokai.

Question guys, what are the chances of getting Jubei Mitsuyoshi? Is there any way they could put him somewhere story wise etc? My knowledge about feudal Japan is very limited lol

I just realized that doing fluxes is basically doing that "waving lightsaber round like a bit of a cool twat" thing in star wars.
Then i realized action games have been so busy with taunts they hadnt made a mechanic like flux before....

i'm in too deep

Ok I'm sorry but the level that is used for the main quest "The Ocean Roars Again" and its associated sub quests is the cheapest, most un-fun artifically difficult thing I've ever played. It's literally all just large Yokai next to a bunch of holes in the ground that you die if you fall into, and then there's one of the smaller undead guys lobbing firebombs at you from off screen.

Fucking garbage and it's ruining what has up until now been a sublime experience. Like that is Ninja Gaiden 2 off-screen rocket spam levels of cheap. I sincerely hope this isn't the template for the level design moving forward because it's honestly infuriating. I think I'm skipping this sub quest. Powered through the horrendous level design enough to beat the main quest mission.

So I just got a lvl 209 sword drop from a red name revenant in the last DLC mission. I've had 0 luck forging any so it seems like thats how you would go about getting 200+ gear.

Ok I'm sorry but the level that is used for the main quest "The Ocean Roars Again" and its associated sub quests is the cheapest, most un-fun artifically difficult thing I've ever played. It's literally all just large Yokai next to a bunch of holes in the ground that you die if you fall into, and then there's one of the smaller undead guys lobbing firebombs at you from off screen.

Fucking garbage and it's ruining what has up until now been a sublime experience. Like that is Ninja Gaiden 2 off-screen rocket spam levels of cheap. I sincerely hope this isn't the template for the level design moving forward because it's honestly infuriating. I think I'm skipping this sub quest. Powered through the horrendous level design enough to beat the main quest mission.

If i'm not mistaken like with the main mission you can run to the boss area super quickly with little bother. That is really the only level that is littered with those kind of falls, others that have falls are usually clear to see and if not you are usually only taking damage. On NG+ and the twilight version there was no chance I was bothering to light the torches again.

Attack, defense and auto-recovery bonuses for absorbing amrita are fantastic, you can even pop a small soulstone to trigger the effect. There is also a movement speed and ki recovery.

Loosing Amrita always sucks :(

Does shorten recovery time out of ki stack or not? It's popping on three pieces I have. Pretty sure it doesn't, I think only effects with % stack but it would be nice to know for sure

Jimrpg

I'm doing this level for the main mission now! I just died four times because I dashed into the hole fighting the same demon. So I got pissed too. Then when I was fighting the boss took me at least five or six goes before realizing I could buff my sword with the fire in the area. I haven't killed him yet because I had to go to bed but it's just way easier now.

It's kinda bullshit no one can 'swim' in Nioh.

If i'm not mistaken like with the main mission you can run to the boss area super quickly with little bother. That is really the only level that is littered with those kind of falls, others that have falls are usually clear to see and if not you are usually only taking damage. On NG+ and the twilight version there was no chance I was bothering to light the torches again.

That's good to know. Falling off cliffs and into water spoils the fun.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm a Souls vet. Finished every game in the series, and platinumed Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. This Nue boss is literally harder than anything in Bloodborne. Harder than any chalice boss. One of the stiffest challenges I've ever had in a game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There IS NOTHING in Bloodborne as hard as Nue. The 3 hunters aren't even challenging! Doing the Chalices solo was a hard challenge but it felt doable. I think I might have made a big mistake in getting the big deluxe edition lol. There is a very clear, and HUGE difference in difficulty levels between the From Software games and Nioh and I didn't expect that.

The game is obviously great but I'm just not having fun anymore.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There IS NOTHING in Bloodborne as hard as Nue. The 3 hunters aren't even challenging! Doing the Chalices solo was a hard challenge but it felt doable. I think I might have made a big mistake in getting the big deluxe edition lol. There is a very clear, and HUGE difference in difficulty levels between the From Software games and Nioh and I didn't expect that.

Nue is a big kitty once you learn how to instant-Ki deplete him consistently. A ton of this battle like most encounters in Nioh comes down to familiarity with the animation/moveset, punish windows and spacing. Just like BB really, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to do in Nioh cause of the fast pace combat imo. You can easily kill Nue once you get familiar with his weakness in under 1-2 minutes. :)
You will still hit this difficulty roadblock with some bosses in Nioh but that's half the fun in figuring out that weakness or your own solution to the challenge. Once you figure it out and it clicks, it's satisfying as hell. And the more you play and get familiar, the more it clicks of course. However I will say this as well, there were moments like the one you are describing possibly that I had to take a break physically from this game and come back in another time with a fresh mind. Don't think I did that ever in BB cause I became too OP mid-game unfortunately and most enemies/bosses were no longer a threat.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Nue is a big kitty once you learn how to instant-Ki deplete him consistently. A ton of this battle like most encounters in Nioh comes down to familiarity with the animation/moveset, punish windows and spacing. Just like BB really, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to do in Nioh cause of the fast pace combat imo. You can easily kill Nue once you get familiar with his weakness in under 1-2 minutes. :)
You will still hit this difficulty roadblock with some bosses in Nioh but that's half the fun in figuring out that weakness or your own solution to the challenge. Once you figure it out and it clicks, it's satisfying as hell. And the more you play and get familiar, the more it clicks of course. However I will say this as well, there were moments like the one you are describing possibly that I had to take a break physically from this game and come back in another time with a fresh mind. Don't think I did that ever in BB cause I became too OP mid-game unfortunately and most enemies/bosses were no longer a threat.

Am I underlevelled or something? Mission said Level 19 and I'm 30 and he still kills me in seconds. The closest thing close to challenging in the game, up to that point was that sub mission with the enemies waves, and even then I died two times there.

Sarcasm

You never fought that last dude in Eileen's quest, did you?

Because screw that NPC hunter. Almost made me give up gaming.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Beat him multiple times. One of the funniest fights in the genre. Hard, but fair. Like I said I platinumed Bloodborne. I'd rather fight Defiled Amygdala or Watchdogs X100 over Nue. Still can't beat him. I die in seconds.

People who lost their shit over Nameless King don't even know what pain is.

The fun part of fighting Nue is knowing that he's so ridiculously easy compared to what comes in the next few levels. Spoiler of boss design concept:
Evil bat girl, giant blob, snow princess

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The fun part of fighting Nue is knowing that he's so ridiculously easy compared to what comes in the next few levels. Spoiler of boss design concept:
Evil bat girl, giant blob, snow princess

Pretty sure I fought one of these, and it was easy as piss.
Hino-Enma is Evil Bat Girl right? A boss fit for 6 years olds. So easy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Am I underlevelled or something? Mission said Level 19 and I'm 30 and he still kills me in seconds. The closest thing close to challenging in the game, up to that point was that sub mission with the enemies waves, and even then I died two times there.
Your level should be fine but gear/equipment is more important in this game than player level. Does Nue do a ton of lightening elemental damage on you? Never get hit by those. Run around till his elemental attacks are done for now till you get all his moves down. But the key is to hit him at the right time without giving too much info away which requires you to go in if you melee weapon user or throw projectiles if you're a ninjutsu player. Timing is very important in this battle like most battles in Nioh. Instant Nue Ki-depletion makes this fight super doable and quite easy once you've done it couple of times for yourself. Then you can mix & match and style on the stunned electric kitty!

Edit: Also be mindful of the lightening elemental attack special properties in that fight which is to slow movement and attacks. So that's why you don't wanna get hit with lightening in addition to the elemental damage.

My wife is making fun of me, she says that I spend more time with the blacksmith chick than I play the game. But that's kinda true, I got 6 hours with Nioh today 5 of which I spent forging, reforging and soul matching. I'm really worried that my PS4 will melt.

Are the Dojo missions on way of the demon required for anything?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Okay, you're crazy

I have beaten NG, NG+, and NG++. She remains the most difficult boss. Don't @ me

Do not argue with me that that PISS EASY boss is harder than Nue. Come on man!

Your level should be fine but gear/equipment is more important in this game than player level. Does Nue do a ton of lightening elemental damage on you? Never get hit by those. Run around till his elemental attacks are done for now till you get all his moves down. But the key is to hit him at the right time without giving too much info away which requires you to go in if you melee weapon user or throw projectiles if you're a ninjutsu player. Timing is very important in this battle like most battles in Nioh. Instant Nue Ki-depletion makes this fight super doable and quite easy once you've done it couple of times for yourself. Then you can mix & match and style on the stunned electric kitty!

Edit: Also be mindful of the lightening elemental attack special properties in that fight which is to slow movement and attacks. So that's why you don't wanna get hit with lightening in addition to the elemental damage.

Nothing make sense to me. I have no lighting resist gear. Boss attacks aren't even telegraphied. Been gaffing and dying for what feels the past 5 hours. It feels like nothing is telegraphied. It feels like there's no safe spot. It's completely different from From Software bosses, where you feel punished when you make a mistake. This 100% feel bullshitty and unfair. Can't get him below 90% health. There's NOTHING in Soulsborne as hard as this. Nothing. I think I should just quit. I finished DMC3 on DMD mode but Ninja Gaiden 2 was too hard for me on Normal. Same thing here.

Nameless King was fucking Very Easy mode compared to this. There's nothing is Souls like this. I feel like I'm playing a different genre. I can't parry, block or dodge anything.

Nothing make sense to me. I have no lighting resist gear. Boss attacks aren't even telegraphied. Been gaffing and dying for what feels the past 5 hours. It feels like nothing is telegraphied. It feels like there's no safe spot. It's completely different from From Software bosses, where you feel punished when you make a mistake. This 100% feel bullshitty and unfair. Can't get him below 90% health.

Nameless King was fucking Very Easy mode compared to this. There's nothing is Souls like this. I feel like I'm playing a different genre. I can't parry, block or dodge anything.

How is this even possible, Nue is one of the easiest bosses in the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
How is this even possible, Nue is one of the easiest bosses in the game.

Well my only bosses so far are the tutorial one, Onryoki (lol) and Lady Dracula (loler). If this is easy compared to what's coming.....

I'd rather fight 5 Nameless Kings than one Nue. This is a joke.

His attacks like are telegraphed though. Obviously the lightning ones are very clear as he arches his back or whatever. The spin around in a circle one he kind of like does a small turn as if to make sure his arc is right before doing it IIRC. Then there's just the cat claw attacks, which basically don't attack his face and it won't be an issue.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Managed to get his stamina bar red, and attacked him. Nothing happened. No special attack, no weak spot exposed. Just the same shit that you cannot avoid. He didn't even stop.

Nioh players.....if you never played Souls, go for it. You'll platinum these things in days. It's Easy Mode.

Managed to get his stamina bar red, and attacked him. Nothing happened. No special attack, no weak spot exposed. Just the same shit that you cannot avoid. He didn't even stop.

Nioh players.....if you never played Souls, go for it. You'll platinum these things in days. It's Easy Mode.

When stamina is red you can keep attacking him and he will remain staggered for a while until he does an animation to regain ki. If you take breaks in attacking him while he's red, then yeah he's going to attack.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No his bar was flashing and red, I hit him, and lighting still came down and killed me in two hits.

Oh and I'm not talking shit bout the game. Gorgeous, great level design, great enemy design, combat is slick and fun as fuck. It's fantastic. But....it's beyond my skills haha. I'll have to stick to From Software games. Not a slight on Nioh. But Souls games and Bloodborne are pretty easy compared to this lol.

Maybe it's because I'm an older gamer. I just don't have the speed required here.

xuchu

I'm a Souls vet. Finished every game in the series, and platinumed Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. This Nue boss is literally harder than anything in Bloodborne. Harder than any chalice boss. One of the stiffest challenges I've ever had in a game.

For tips on that boss. Bait his lightning breath attack, quickly run to his right (your left) and attack either his glowing belly or his face. You will instantly ki break it and can use a couple of big combos.

However, don't get greedy. After two combos dash out as the boss will try to regain ki by putting down a yokai field. When it does this two lightning strikes will occur, one on top of him and one where you are. If you are still wailing in him you'll get double bolted and will instantly die.

When you see the boss arch its back and then scream that's a telegraph for its call lightning. There's always 4, simply keep moving to dodge them. Hope this helps.

For tips on that boss. Bait his lightning breath attack, quickly run to his right (your left) and attack either his glowing belly or his face. You will instantly ki break it and can use a couple of big combos.

However, don't get greedy. After two combos dash out as the boss will try to regain ki by putting down a yokai field. When it does this two lightning strikes will occur, one on top of him and one where you are. If you are still wailing in him you'll get double bolted and will instantly die.

When you see the boss arch its back and then scream that's a telegraph for its call lightning. There's always 4, simply keep moving to dodge them. Hope this helps.

Good strategy. Also use water talisman for additional damage. But yeah, staying mid range, waiting for the lighting breath, dodge to his right is a fairly easy way to beat him

Nue
is indeed pretty hard. Bloodborne was a comparatively easy game. In fact, the first three bosses (
Onryoki, Hino, Nue, and optionally Tachibana after level 3
) are the hardest challenges until the post game fights. Too bad the difficulty wasn't consistent. Those three fights are awesome though.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is much, much worse. You'd have multiple enemies throwing numerous explosive projectiles at you in rapid fire fashion regardless of whether the camera is facing them, as opposed to how in Nioh there's a sporadic straggler here and there who takes seconds before he lobs a bomb or something. Nioh often times avoids allowing enemies to do so from long distances too, so if you aggro an archer or whatnot (very loud audio cue for this) then usually you'll be able to have vision of them nearby and shoot them down yourself.

Certainly a far cry from this:

ngiiexamplef1zyq.gif

Nothing make sense to me. I have no lighting resist gear. Boss attacks aren't even telegraphied. Been gaffing and dying for what feels the past 5 hours. It feels like nothing is telegraphied. It feels like there's no safe spot. It's completely different from From Software bosses, where you feel punished when you make a mistake. This 100% feel bullshitty and unfair. Can't get him below 90% health. There's NOTHING in Soulsborne as hard as this. Nothing. I think I should just quit. I finished DMC3 on DMD mode but Ninja Gaiden 2 was too hard for me on Normal. Same thing here.
Even though Nue is initially tricky and ignoring how either game is heavily variable in its difficulty due to player character level et cetera since you found Hino-Enma a walk in the park, you're probably not making optimal use of Nioh's systems if he's that much of a struggle for you vs Dark Souls / Bloodborne. In all likelihood you're not draining his stamina, you're not attempting to hit his giant weak spot for a guaranteed stamina depletion, not using invincibility frames on your dodge to move through (for example) his mouth lightning beam, not being careful for the automatic counter-attack most Yokai have (especially bosses) once they recover stamina and so forth. Hard to really gauge without any footage of your habits. Blocking attacks that aren't imbued with an elemental property in this case are also entirely possible without fully draining your stamina and lightning resistant gear is anything but a necessity either.

The bolded parts are also a 1000% false.

No his bar was flashing and red, I hit him, and lighting still came down and killed me in two hits.

Oh and I'm not talking shit bout the game. Gorgeous, great level design, great enemy design, combat is slick and fun as fuck. It's fantastic. But....it's beyond my skills haha. I'll have to stick to From Software games. Not a slight on Nioh. But Souls games and Bloodborne are pretty easy compared to this lol.

Maybe it's because I'm an older gamer. I just don't have the speed required here.

Nue has three movements that you really need to be wary of the arching back movement, when it coils up, and lightning build up in its mouth. With the arching back it means it is going to rain lighting on you so the second you see it move, the coil up means it is going to either swipe or do a roll/charge so just dodge through this (if its the roll give it a bit of room due to the lightning follow up), the lightning build up in the mouth I find best to dodge forward to the right (its left) and hit the head for an instant stagger. There is the poison and tail whip but they never really bothered me so don't really know what to do about them. You can stagger it quick by hitting its chest when it glows but that is often a risky option to go for. If you learn how to ki pulse/flux and use a low stance you can essentially stun lock Nue to death. If you aren't good at ki pulse/flux then watch for it to arch its back because it will use lightning to hit its location.

I thought that was one of the harder bosses but simply because it took a while to read its pattern and didn't understand the mechanics at that point. Its great coming back to it in NG+ and beating it first time without taking a hit. You will also fight them a few more times throughout the game but once you have them sussed they are just a slightly harder enemy.

Hybris

You only have a very short window of stagger locking when you drain his key. Maybe 4 seconds before he will do the lightning strikes and regain his ki. Probably what happened there.

N° 2048

I hug Nue and just smash his belly. I dance around him with my Rank A agility :D
Fucking Tengus are still the most annoying enemy for me lol

Jimrpg

I have been finding Nioh pretty hard, but making progress slowly.

I think part of the reason why some people find it hard and others not, is that maybe they don't have the right equipment, not levelled with the right stats or havent used every available upgrade.

I put a whole stack of points into strength early on, but then realised that my character was way under levelled in the other categories. Then I had to grind to level up the other stats but it took a long time, because the required amrita was way higher now.

The bosses I find will give the weaknesses away fairly easily, but it often comes with dying a few times first and trying different strategies. The Nue boss was difficult at first, but he doesn't have that many moves and most of the bosses telegraph everything so after a while you know exactly what the counter should be.

You're on tilt and you are disappointed your Souls skills don't transfer 1:1 to Nioh. Relax and come back later, you can do it. Nioh is roughly on par with the Souls games when it comes to difficulty but it does require a slightly different approach (a more aggressive one in my opinion, due to being able to regain stamina). I remember a guy in the first thread got the game early and couldn't beat
Hino
for shit, claimed the game is broken and he'd sell it. It was pretty funny and once he beat her, he realized he'd been a bit silly due to super tilting, and you're reminiscent of him.

Keep going. The game is awesome and yes,
Nue
is no doubt a challenging boss.

Top Bottom