• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

So I'm on WotD and I'm wondering if I should switch weapons.
I never focused on a particular build during the first two playthroughs and just went with what felt good. I chose to play with the sword---right now it's +13 with water damage and A+ with change to heart. Problem is I'm seeing people join me and these videos of people just doing insane damage with other weapons--mostly the kusa. I rarely use abilities with the sword and wondering if I should be focusing on certain abilities or if a weapon switch is warranted. Also using red demon armor set.

xuchu

I have to spend 58mil gold to upgrade all my gear (everything except the sword) to lvl200, fuck ne. I have the gold but it was for reforging not soul matching, oh well more gold farming to do I guess.

So what I did was forge random cheap 200 weapons and armour but I looked for the soul matching cost reduction star effect, it significantly reduced the price. Yes it's still a bit expensive but you can farm either WOTD restless spirits or WOTS restless spirits for 1.5 million gold or 500k gold respectively.

Deku Tree

So I'm on WotD and I'm wondering if I should switch weapons.
I never focused on a particular build during the first two playthroughs and just went with what felt good. I chose to play with the sword---right now it's +13 with water damage and A+ with change to heart. Problem is I'm seeing people join me and these videos of people just doing insane damage with other weapons--mostly the kusa. I rarely use abilities with the sword and wondering if I should be focusing on certain abilities or if a weapon switch is warranted. Also using red demon armor set.

well there are crazy OP builds that can trivialize WotD if you want to go that way. They are easy to find with a google search. The basic idea is to stack bonuses and buffs until your damage output is ridiculous.

I don't understand how I do such pitiful damage to a dude when he can three shot me at the most.

What challenge is it to sit there and move around whittling his HP down for 15+ minutes? I still can't beat this guy. I eman heck if he gets not KI and I do either of my special blwos...the HP bar barely even moves. This isn't a real sense of challenge.

"Invitation from the Warrior of the West" should be more like "Invitation from Sponge of the West"

He freakin auto telegraphs at the waist O.O wish I could turn my body that way lol. Feet forward, face backwards -.-

I am on third region and this dude basic attacks do 600 damage.

Mine is like

Lame lol

Here's me in the beta at around level 50-ish doing that fight with dual swords for reference. In the beta that fight was level 30+, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpXiAPolxc

I can't block him, even in high stance. I roll to him, to his side.

He is still a sponge.

Its like linking those dudes that beat the souls using bananas.

Yea..I am an average player not some OP dude with bananas tied to his eyelids.

**How the heck is he doing more than 100 damage! I am like lvl 55 and I don't even do that much on final blows (to him). Also when I fight he regains his KI almost immediately after getting up lol...so I dunno.

(Also this is n00b moment, how do you get charge abilities? I also have way more icons on the bottom..which I realized are probably skills point. Three icons lowest is like 15 -.-)

And also, WHY DO YOU HAVE UNSPENT SKILL POINTS.

BAD. BAD SARCASM.

Until you've maxed out your preferred weapon tree (or at least gotten most of the skills on it), you should never have unspent samurai skill points.

Sarcasm

Yea yea guys are totally doing it the easy way with damage way over 100 lol. I crit on a final blow for 249 \o/ I am not hiding or holding back..I didn't even do that in soulsborne. Just really used to the faster dodging (mostly BB).

Also what gives the dude regains all his KI after he falls on mine. He seems to take his time getting his back on yours. Kind of like when I get hit my dude acts like he just found Jesus.

I am playing the pro version turns out.

I mean obviously something is missing here because I been playing the game very nonchalantly because its mostly been a cakewalk. The only other check was vampire chick, but I got that. Though seems like her moves are more interesting. Even one of the dojo dudes is more interesting. Than I get to this dude. lol.

Must be a gear check. I can check later when I am not playing BB.

Yea yea guys are totally doing it the easy way with damage way over 100 lol. I crit on a final blow for 249 \o/ I am not hiding or holding back..I didn't even do that in soulsborne. Just really used to the faster dodging (mostly BB).

Also what gives the dude regains all his KI after he falls on mine. He seems to tak ehis time getting his back on yours.

I am playing the pro version turns out.

I mean obviously something is missing here because I been playing the game very nonchalantly because its mostly been a cakewalk. Than I get to this dude. lol.

If you final blow an enemy, they'll be able to get up immediately. If you break an enemy's stamina but don't quickly follow up with an attack to knock them down, they'll recover their stamina pretty quickly.

Hold on, I'll dig up a post I made to another person in this thread explaining what to do when you stamina break a human enemy.

Preview: You should not just be going for grapple/final blow. It's a waste of damage potential.

Here we go, starting at the bolded part (though the rest is useful too):

General tips off the top of my head?

-Practice Ki Pulse fluxing (the flux skill is in the skill tree and is shared between all weapons) when you get down to the bottom half of your stamina bar during a series of combos.

Yes, flux gives you back a chunk of stamina when you switch stance on ki pulse, but some people don't know that if you switch stance multiple times in a row on ki pulse, you get back multiple chunks of stamina. So after a multi-combo onslaught, and you're running low on stamina even with ki pulsing, do a ki pulse flux where you chain multiple stance changes and get back the whole bar.

-Learn an optimal punish when you drain a human enemy's stamina. Some people just go for a grapple. Don't do this. You can get so much more damage.

For example, when I break a human enemy's stamina (human bosses included) with dual kats, I Sign of the Cross, which knocks them down, then I position myself to where I'm directly behind them, do a final blow, then time a square combo as they get up. If you time it right, you will get a full free combo behind the enemy without them getting a chance to guard as they get up. Also sometimes the game lets me get in two Sign of the Cross attacks and still get a final blow in afterward. Not sure what the requirements are.

My friend who mains single kats hits a stamina broken enemy to knock them down, then does a fully charged Iai as they fall, then finishes with a final blow from behind into a square combo like I described above.

This does an extreme amount of damage compared to just going for a grapple.

Edit: If you post your stats, I am willing to respec to your exact build (PLUS, SKILLS IN THE DUAL KATANA TREE, BECAUSE YOU SHOULD HAVE THEM ALREADY) and also wear like level 15 gear and have a run at him.

Sarcasm

Going red and falling is breaking right?

What is sign of the cross? I only spent points on poison and grapple & ki dodge pulse lol.

Going red and falling is breaking right?

What is sign of the cross? I only spent points on poison and grapple & ki dodge pulse lol.

Sign of the Cross is a dual katana skill near the top of the skill tree. Its input is Hold R1+circle.

And yeah, if you're level 55 and that's all you've spent skill points on, that's a BIG source of your problems.

Sarcasm

Ah okay.

Typically with ANY of the mobs and bosses, I just roll at them and move to the side and attack stance change if needed and ki pulse dodge.

For three regions.

Cool. Does it have more enemy variety? And how difficult it is compared to the main game?

It has 2 new enemy types, which they lean on heavily for the new region, along with some variations of old ones. Difficulty was good, in my opinion. I played through it on Way of the Strong and it took about 4 hours total for every mission/sub mission.

Ah okay.

Typically with ANY of the mobs and bosses, I just roll at them and move to the side and attack stance change if needed and ki pulse dodge.

For three regions.

Don't get me wrong. You're absolutely welcome to play the game like that. But that's way less fun than using weapon skills. Personally, I wouldn't play this game without weapon skills, because the regular square/triangle attacks aren't that satisfying, unlike R1/R2 attacks in a Soulsborne game.

EDIT: ALSO YOU'RE USING DUAL KATANA WITHOUT EVEN TRYING GOD OF WIND. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU OH MY GOD I WANNA SCREAM.

Once you unlock God of Wind II and Sign of the Cross, you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It has 2 new enemy types, which they lean on heavily for the new region, along with some variations of old ones. .
Wait, so,
the snake-head mobs and the new yokai type
are the only new enemy types? :\

Edit: also I second the God of Wind II (and Sign of the Cross) recommendation. God of Wind is just OP, I cheesed many of the hardest bosses with God of Wind abuse. xD That huge chunk of boss health that disappears is always a satisfying and reassuring little thing. It's also how I took out
Hattori Hanzo
fast enough when I was fighting him off with the other boss in Iga-Style.

Edit 2: I was wrong, it wasn't God of Wind, it was Windstorm. Still, God of Wind is also a pretty good combo. But Windstorm abuse helped me so much it's not funny lol.

Honestly for most part I skipped on getting skills because they are so..

I don't understand half of what they say lol.

That's what you have this thread for.

Wait, so,
the snake-head mobs and the new yokai type
are the only new enemy types? :\

Personally, I'd count the
red kappa
as a new enemy type because:

1. Their AI is completely different from the
green kappa
, who do nothing but run away and sometimes try to jump on you.
2. The big and small variations have different moves.
3. None of the other recolored enemies (
icy looking cyclops
) have new moves, so
red kappa
is clearly different.

But yeah, still only 3 new types if you agree with me, and 2 if you don't.

I think the bosses and levels make up for it.

So what I did was forge random cheap 200 weapons and armour but I looked for the soul matching cost reduction star effect, it significantly reduced the price.

Yes! That's a great idea mate, you just saved me a lot of gold :)

I did some more reforging yesterday and it looks like you can have all attack bonuses at the same time. Timed Guard on gloves, surrounded on body and under staus effect on legs. In a perfect scenario you can have all three active plus either carnage or power pill for a really big damage bonus :)

Also the window to activate timed guard is huge. So you can pretty much have it active all the time, just start each fight with timed guard and you gonna have it active easly till next opponent you find.

Works on all dojo missions too.

xuchu

The skill descriptions are pretty god dam terrible.

Some of them are straight up wrong, like perfect ki pulse giving more attack. It only does this in high stance. It actually gives mid stance more block stability and low stance perfect pulse makes next dodge cost no Ki. The odachi has a skill description that is also straight up wrong among many others.

Not to mention the special effect parry stat, which actually means guard stability and the fact that the game uses multiple words to either mean the same thing or the opposite.

I don't know if this is all translation issues or what? It just makes an already complex and confusing skill and loot system all the more impossible to parse unless you're the hardest of hardcore and even then I'm mostly at a loss when it comes to understanding the stats.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I can completely understand for newer players how daunting all the different Weapon, Ninjutsu, and Magic skill trees can be. A lot of different information and half might not make any sense to new players lol. Could use better descriptions as well, I agree.

However, new players, you must take the time and invest in learning a lot of the passive skills in each different skill trees. They help tremendously and will increase your overall enjoyment of the game. You'll be glad you took the time to invest in learning and allocating them skill/ninja/magic points, I guarantee it!

Hybris

Sarcasm, I'm getting the impression that you don't actually want to learn, you just want to continue playing like you were and for things to just magically go better. You are ignoring or dismissing the majority of what people are suggesting you do, so I'm just going to stop trying.

Sarcasm

I am as I need to finally fix my damage output. So far everything goes down pretty fast. Not talking like seconds but no more than a minute or two. I can't think of a time before this dude where I was fighting a mob (boss) for more than a couple minutes. I am done with most of region 3. I only went back to region 1 randomly lol.I can't check my dude as I been busy doing something else.

This guy though is just wiping me. Finally hit that wall gear/talent check where I guess I just have to spend points and stuff to progress.

From memory I have (hard to remember as they aren't listed like this simply as I can't understand most of the text in the game including modifiers on weapons/armour):

• Grapple
  • Stance pulse
  • Dodge pulse
  • buff pills
  • poison to weapons

I don't know if this is all translation issues or what?

Na not possible, localisation team to good to make errors like that.

You dont get high quality localisation like this, by just any team

1487380890601.png

Jamiaro

What armor-set combos do people use with Sword and Spear-build, using the Yasakani Magatama? I got the Warrior of the West and the Red Devil-set pieces for Scorch and Electricy-bonuses.

Electrify seems pretty pointless though.

What armor-set combos do people use with Sword and Spear-build, using the Yasakani Magatama? I got the Warrior of the West and the Red Devil-set pieces for Scorch and Electricy-bonuses.

Electrify seems pretty pointless though.

I use Warrior of the West (sword, bow, head), Red Demon (spear, gloves and legs) and Yatagarasu (rifle, chest and boots) all this combined with Yasakani gives me 4 piece bonuses from all three sets. Spirit combination is Kato and Komori with Yokai heavy levels and Atlas and Komori with Human heavy levels. Can't remember the name of the clan but I use the one that gives you 8% back damage, Komori as a secondary gives you another 8%.

Prestige points into elemental reduction, toughness, human ccd, yokai ccd, life, elixir live recovery. Those should all be maxed out.

I tried all kind of different combinations and this one works for me and with my playstyle the best.

Jamiaro

I use Warrior of the West (sword, bow, head), Red Demon (spear, gloves and legs) and Yatagarasu (rifle, chest and boots) all this combined with Yasakani gives me 4 piece bonuses from all three sets. Spirit combination is Kato and Komori with Yokai heavy levels and Atlas and Komori with Human heavy levels. Can't remember the name of the clan but I use the one that gives you 8% back damage, Komori as a secondary gives you another 8%.

Prestige points into elemental reduction, toughness, human ccd, yokai ccd, life, elixir live recovery. Those should all be maxed out.

I tried all kind of different combinations and this one works for me and with my playstyle the best.

I'll look into this. :) Seems more versatile than my current one.

The problem with damage with scorched enemies or any other status like that is that it only activates when the icon fills all the way up and by the time that happens they already dead.

I've been using my setup for almost 500 hours and it worked great for me. But as I always say, don't change your playstyle to work with the build, make the build that will complement the playstyle you want and enjoy.

The reason I made the build I did, is because I like to use everything the game has to offer. It's powerfull in all stances, from front and even more from the back, great final blow and parry damage, uses a few skills instead of one and they hit hard and it's very fast and mobile.

Raptor

Since I refuse to have anything beyond A in weight equipment, everything that drops puts me on B, there will be a time where I will get light armor right?

Or I need to put points into something?

I have Spirit at 10, I have been putting all into that.

Since I refuse to have anything beyond A in weight equipment, everything that drops puts me on B, there will be a time where I will get light armor right?

Or I need to put points into something?

I have Spirit at 10, I have been putting all into that.

You can bump stamina if you want to wear mix of light and medium armor and still stay Agility A. If you don't want to spent points then you have to stick to light armors, and yes they will drop sooner or later.

Check the Blacksmith, maybe you can craft some already. There is also a an effect that you can reforge on armor pieces called weight reduction, to lower equipment weight. It's % based, so the heavier the armor the more it will reduce the weight.

Raptor

You can bump stamina if you want to wear mix of light and medium armor and still stay Agility A. If you don't want to spent points then you have to stick to light armors, and yes they will drop sooner or later.

Check the Blacksmith, maybe you can craft some already. There is also a an effect that you can reforge on armor pieces called weight reduction, to lower equipment weight. It's % based, so the heavier the armor the more it will reduce the weight.

Where is the blacksmith, I havent killed the first boss yet, I started over because to be honest I was playing blind, I had forgotten I could use the spirit animal to deal more damage, this way Im learning the right way.

My build will consist on Katana and Double katanas, will not touch any other weapons.

Blacksmith is on the map, just click on the starting point and it will be one of the options, not sure if it's available from the start tho.

So, I had almost all perfect armor pieces, at least that's what I though utill I saw you can have effects with star like Attack & Defense Up while using specific weapon type and Attack and Defense Up while using specific guardian.

I guess it's time to start over lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Took me two goddamn days but I finally beat that Nue asshole. Rest of the mission was easy as piss. The 2nd boss was also a literal joke. And the rematch was even easier. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out!

Took me two goddamn days but I finally beat that Nue asshole. Rest of the mission was easy as piss. The 2nd boss was also a literal joke. And the rematch was even easier. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out!

You had trouble with Nue and thought the Tachibana rematch was easy.

You have got to be trolling the fuck out of this thread. Holy shit.

If you're not trolling, I demand a video of you fighting Nue, and one of you fighting Tachibana.

If you're not trolling, I demand a video of you fighting Nue, and one of you fighting Tachibana.

Maybe they are a low key god at parrying? Only way it makes any sense to me.

So I'm back, damage wise, where I was at lvl750 before the nerf of power pill, sword of execution etc. and there is still a lot of room for improvement.

34473071781_59cd858b11_o.gif

34603445975_891a0dd3c1_o.gif

Final blow is at 32K now, older gif

34386564521_50a6336a04_o.gif

Back to Tome I guess lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

What was hard about Tachibana rematch? You bait him, he attacks twice, you slash him. When he charges some shit up, stay away, he'll miss and tire himself out. He barely has any stamina. Nue can kill you in two lightning bolts or one combo.

Sarcasm

I learned the God of Wind where you press the heavy attack button out of a combo and it is suppose to slice...I just kick.

What am I messing up?

Also Cross of the sign, the one where you do a quick slice from draw doesn't work 100% of the time.

Wonder if remote play is the reason.

I learned the God of Wind where you press the heavy attack button out of a combo and it is suppose to slice...I just kick.

What am I messing up?

Also Cross of the sign, the one where you do a quick slice from draw doesn't work 100% of the time.

Press touch-pad on the controller and go to skill customization and select the one you've learned as active and you ready to go.

What am I messing up?

You can't move the analogue with cross of the sign. Not sure about god of wind but you might have another move in its place, if that is the case check the skill customisations.

What was hard about Tachibana rematch? You bait him, he attacks twice, you slash him. When he charges some shit up, stay away, he'll miss and tire himself out. He barely has any stamina. Nue can kill you in two lightning bolts or one combo.

I didn't say Tachibana was hard. I said it's completely ridiculous to even entertain the idea that Nue is harder.

Nue is one of (if not the only) boss in the game you can stamina break in one hit multiple times throughout the fight, during two separate attacks.

Again, I need video of you fighting both bosses.

Just ridiculous.

What am I messing up?

You're supposed to press heavy attack DURING the kick. Are you watching the videos that show you the skills?

The video clearly shows slash, kick, then ANOTHER slash.

And I dunno what to tell you about why you're not able to sign of the cross.

Stand still. Hold R1, and hold circle.

Hybris

What am I messing up?

Sign of the cross input can be finicky if you are moving while you do it. You can hit R1 and tap circle, then press and hold circle and it should work every time. Same goes for the Sword version of the skill.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was wrong, it was Windstorm that I abused to slaughter bosses, not God of Wind, the similar names threw me off. Still, God of Wind is indeed a good combo and I use it on regular mobs all the time.

Top Bottom