• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS: Disgaea 5 no downgrades on Switch, pleges cont support

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
The following comes from Nippon Ichi Software president Sohei Niikawa...
- the difficulty of porting from PS4 to Switch varies depending on how each studio approaches development
- the porting process was relatively smooth for Disgaea
- there was nothing NIS had to downgrade
- even in portable mode, the experience still remains same as PS4 version

- Disgaea 5 was chosen for Switch because it would be smooth to port
- NIS also thought it would be better to release its key product
- NIS received many requests to port it to Vita, but if this happened, it would have been necessary to downgrade the game
- NIS brought the game to Switch as a way of fulfilling the fan request for a portable version of Disgaea 5
- NIS says they are definitely making more Switch games
- They will not be making just one game and calling it quits

Lots of interesting tidbits

Summary curtesy of gonintendo. http://gonintendo.com/stories/272446-nis-explains-why-disgaea-5-is-coming-to-switch-no-downgrades-fi

I love Disgaea 5 and it has great art direction like all other Disgaea games, but the game is not a graphical powerhouse. It really isn't stretching the PS4's hardware by any means. I would have been surprised if it had to be downgraded for the Switch.

bomblord1

Banned
I love Disgaea 5 and it has great art direction like all other Disgaea games, but the game is not a graphical powerhouse. It really isn't stretching the PS4's hardware by any means. I would have been surprised if it had to be downgraded for the Switch.

Well its worth noting it couldn't run on the Vita without sacrifices.

Narroo

Well, the Vita had 960x544 resolution, so there's that. Also the Vita seems to only support game cartridges up to 4Gb and D5 starts at 4.5 before DLC. So, D5 would require a downgrade based on size and resolution alone. Aside from that, the 'simplicity' of D5 probably allows the developers to worry less about optimizing the code and program it in a more straightforward, less efficient manner, while also throwing in random graphical effects that the Vita may not support, or support well. Finally, modern game devices are just not really made for 2D games. HD sprites take a lot of bandwidth.

So, I can believe that the Vita would require a downgrade, but at the same time, could probably have been made to look just as good relative to it's smaller screen. It would have just required compression or reducing resolution, or things like that, and maybe rejiggering some of the code or effects a bit extra. The Switch is probably just more straightforward.

bomblord1

Banned
Well, the Vita had 960x544 resolution, so there's that. Also the Vita seems to only support game cartridges up to 4Gb and D5 starts at 4.5 before DLC. So, D5 would require a downgrade based on size and resolution alone. Aside from that, the 'simplicity' of D5 probably allows the developers to worry less about optimizing the code and program it in a more straightforward, less efficient manner, while also throwing in random graphical effects that the Vita may not support, or support well. Finally, modern game devices are just not really made for 2D games. HD sprites take a lot of bandwidth.

So, I can believe that the Vita would require a downgrade, but at the same time, could probably have been made to look just as good relative to it's smaller screen. It would have just required compression or reducing resolution, or things like that, and maybe rejiggering some of the code or effects a bit extra. The Switch is probably just more straightforward.

It was apparently to do with the CPU power actually

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Glad Switch can handle this graphical powerhouse.

disgaea 5 definitely makes use of high quality, cutting edge graphics

disgaea-5-gameplay-screenshot-cowboy-demons-ps4.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Disgaea 5 looks like it can run in PS3 with no problems though.

Kouriozan

Personally would have preferred Disgaea D2 since I already plated (and bought the season pass) 5 on PS4, might double dip later when it'll be cheap just for having it on a portable device.

kswiston

Isn't this sort of like Chucklefish confirming that Stardew Valley won't have downgrades on the Switch?

Disgaea 5 looks nice for a N1 SRPG, but they aren't exactly on the bleeding edge of graphics.

Switch has plenty of RAM compared to old consoles, and that's about the only bottleneck I could see for the game.

Halabane

They said when it came out that computationally the vita couldn't cut it. I am guessing they could make it run but you would be waiting a long time between moves. They probably very much wanted it on the vita because that kind of game is best on a handheld. I don't think graphics where the big part doesn't really need to be.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm curious how the slowdown will compare between the two versions. As I understand it, the game gets pretty crazy at times.

Astral Dog

This but at the same time,only but good news.

Confirms Vita >>>>Switch>>>>>>>>PS4

BriGuy

Yeah no.

Disgaea pushes the CPU with the computations and high number of 2D sprites.
Isn't Cell more powerful than the PS4's CPU (albeit a lot more unwieldy)?

Either way, "NIS" may say it's impossible, but if you gave those assets to a Sony first party or ND, I'm sure they'd get it running well enough on a PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom