• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

It's weird. I feel like this belt is entirely made or broken by who wins this tournament. All these guys are great?m, but most of them are defined. If Omega wins it, it seems like a major belt right off the bat. If Ishii or Elgin wins, it feels more like a NEVER level belt.

It's weird. I feel like this belt is entirely made or broken by who wins this tournament. All these guys are great?m, but most of them are defined. If Omega wins it, it seems like a major belt right off the bat. If Ishii or Elgin wins, it feels more like a NEVER level belt.

Lower than NEVER.

Suzuki holds NEVER

klonere

Banned
I don't know if you guys have noticed but NJPW have an excess of singles belts already and they don't have a bloated enough roster to make everyone of them important.

I think the US belt will be very, very mid tier and ultimately, very unimportant.

If Omega wins this belt, he'll probably be in the WWE next year. I don't see this belt ever being "major"

Jay Lethal vs Elgin final ⭐🔥⭐🔥⭐🔥⭐🔥⭐🔥⭐🔥⭐🔥

That's kinda what this is though, right? I don't think we should care too much about them seriously taking this as their only way into the US after the first half of the show.

I just think overall they are not making the first impression they need to. If they are "really good" then people remember it for a while and might check it out in the future. If they have a blowaway show (on the level of a Dominion), no one is missing the next one. I knew they weren't going to do that, but I still think it's a mistake.

Part of me wanted this whole even to be Naito just throwing the belt in the trash to lead to another match with Tanahashi over how all the belts outside of the Heavyweight title are meaningless but I'm alright with Ishii vs ZSJ, to be honest I prefer that match over Naito vs ZSJ.

I just think overall they are not making the first impression they need to. If they are "really good" then people remember it for a while and might check it out in the future. If they have a blowaway show (on the level of a Dominion), no one is missing the next one. I knew they weren't going to do that, but I still think it's a mistake.

I fully agree that they aren't making a good first impression. I just feel like my hopes of that died with Cody and Gunn so now I'm just thinking in regards of what I want to see. Ultimately I'd love for have this to have been a dominion card, fact is that it's not so I'd rather take what I can get from this format.

I mean, wasnt MVP the first IC Champ? The US belt will be in good hands regardless of who wins.

Also, weirdly enough, I feel like Omega's decision might hinge on whether or not he feels like the US expansion is actually feasible. If the prospects of that are looking not great in six months, I think he's definitely gone. Might be regardless though.

klonere

Banned
Also, weirdly enough, I feel like Omega's decision might hinge on whether or not he feels like the US expansion is actually feasible. If the prospects of that are looking not great in six months, I think he's definitely gone. Might be regardless though.

Omega's thing has always about being a star in Japan. Why would a US expansion play into that at all?

Edit; oh god it's 4am, sorry guys I'm out. Way too tired :(

I mean, wasnt MVP the first IC Champ? The US belt will be in good hands regardless of who wins.

Yeah, and it took a while to rehab that belt into what it is now. A bad decision in the past doesn't make a future one okay.

I literally do not see a finals match worth a damn

Ishii vs. Omega would be great, but we've seen it twice already this year.

Elgin vs. Ishii would be neat I think.

Omega vs. Sabre might be great.

Omega's thing has always about being a star in Japan. Why would a US expansion play into that at all?

Edit; oh god it's 4am, sorry guys I'm out. Way too tired :(

All Kenny has talked about for the past year is that he wants to be the face of the US expansion. He's already a star in Japan. He's reached that goal.

What's making you think that? I've always thought that Kenny's goal is for him to be champ with him and Ibushi headlining a Wrestle Kingdom.

Edit: Sorry, I'm so slow.

What's making you think that? I've always thought that Kenny's goal is for him to be champ with him and Ibushi headlining a Wrestle Kingdom.

It's all he's been talking about since New Japan announced they wanted to move into the US. It's clearly something he wants to be the spearhead of.

I think that would be enough to keep him around is what I mean. I think it's most likely WWE is going to give him a godfather deal.

It's all he's been talking about since New Japan announced they wanted to move into the US. It's clearly something he wants to be the spearhead of.

I've only seen his older interviews where he talked about being big in Japan so sorry that I've not been keeping up. Even then I guess there's a difference between that then being in the WWE.

Man, Elgin has become so stale to watch in the past few months, last entertaining match I remember seeing him was vs Volador like 6 months ago.

Ishii and Sabre are in the same G1 block, so that could build to a story later.

Elgin and Omega are in a different block than Ishii and Sabre, so at least they won't have a repeat match-up.

Hex

Banned
Yeah, and it took a while to rehab that belt into what it is now. A bad decision in the past doesn't make a future one okay.

Ishii vs. Omega would be great, but we've seen it twice already this year.

Elgin vs. Ishii would be neat I think.

Omega vs. Sabre might be great.

Elgin v Ishii could be an amazing hoss fight, but could America appreciate that?

Fox mentioned that he wanted Cesaro in NJPW. I wish Elgin was Cesaro.

Edit: In context of the work Elgin's put in throughout his career I feel like a dick for saying this.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Like I said earlier in the thread, they went too big, too fast. If this was a glorified house show, it'd be one thing, but I think trying to hinge so much on this one show when they haven't done something like this before wasn't a good idea because so much can go wrong.

I do know that if I was there live I'd be having a lot of fun simply because it's NJPW in the US, but this doesn't really give me much faith in NJPW if they're trying to make a US based NJPW show.

I'm almost convinced Cody is winning tonight.

They keep pushing the "Is Kenny the leader of the Bullet Club?" angle

FIRE YOUR FUCKING SOUND CREW

I do not see Kenny getting the belt, he has bigger fish

lol no he doesn't. Okada's holding that belt until WK at least and I highly doubt Omega wins the G1 again, which is why they are doing another match between them in the G1. Then they wrap it up at King of Pro Wrestling.

Top Bottom