• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 in Tokyo Dome [OT] Let's Go Pro-Wrestling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I look at the card, the more pointless I think Nakamura regaining the IC title is. It adds exactly zero heat to the Nak-Styles match, and takes plenty of heat away from Naito-Goto which would have had some extra meaning and would have been a great way to reward Naito's hot year.

I guess they just didnt believe in Goto in any way, shape, or form (or more likely, he wasnt drawing).

The lack of faith in Goto is the most disappointing decision NJPW have made this year, I'd say - he didn't get one chance to hold the IC title free of Nakamura's shadow, so I guess they didn't feel like he could draw on his own, but it's a shame he didn't get the chance. That's the trouble with elevating the secondary title to the level they have, whoever holds it has to be able to main event and draw well on the secondary PPVs.

The more I look at the card, the more pointless I think Nakamura regaining the IC title is. It adds exactly zero heat to the Nak-Styles match, and takes plenty of heat away from Naito-Goto which would have had some extra meaning and would have been a great way to reward Naito's hot year.

I guess they just didnt believe in Goto in any way, shape, or form (or more likely, he wasnt drawing).

The problem is that AJ's contract expires after WK10 so him vs. Nakamura is essentially his last match, and given his age I doubt he wants to keep spending half the year in Japan away from his family so resigning is questionable at best. I'd prefer AJ wins here but I don't think it will happen.

Like Bootaay said, Goto never was really given the chance to draw, he's always been one of the most popular wrestlers in New Japan, but for whatever reason he's never been given the chance to run with the ball. That said, and I admit I might be a little bit markish when I say this, but I maintain that Goto will beat Naito at WK10 and win the title from Okada at New Beginning. He'll then lose to whoever wins the New Japan Cup (probably Naito) but still, it finally gives Goto a title reign, even if it is a pity transitional reign.

As for the IC belt, they really need someone to come along and be a big enough draw to main event the secondary shows. AJ could do that, but his status is questionable. Makabe is still a big draw, but he's old and I think his best place now is in the GBH team with Honma. Naito could work, but I think he needs to be fighting for the world title. Shibata is still technically a freelancer and I doubt NJPW wants to put a top title on him, though the NEVER belt I think is perfect. I think the best answer, sorry to say, is Hustle, Loyalty, and Air Guitar.

Excellent OT, great card, I hope to god we don't ever get another Okada vs Tanahashi match after this.

GOAT IS BACK
tumblr_nhog6kmo5g1r0qdnio5_250.gif

Great OP! Totally excited for this and the prospect of never seeing Okada v Tanahashi ever again

Great OP. The card for WK10 looks pretty fantastic. Can't fucking wait.

To be honest, I've never watched NJPW, and the OT made me want to.

I'm in now, good job.

Great job on the thread! Can't wait for WK, getting proper hyped now.

You've outdone yourself, Empyrean Heaven.
This might well be the finest wresting OT ever posted on GAF.

Before I forget, I wanted to thank you guys so much. I love making these NJPW OTs (though Boots handles the G1) and I hope wrestling fans everywhere get a chance to experience this card. For all the crap I give New Japan, Wrestle Kingdom always brings the goods, and now I'm super mega ultra hyped.

My plan is to pretty much sleep through the 3rd, so I should be ready to go for an all-nighter for Wrestle Kingdom and then it's straight to work. But yeah, can't wait.

EDIT: New Japan has officially announced that the English commentary team will also call New Year Dash at Korakuen the next day!

Xater

Before I forget, I wanted to thank you guys so much. I love making these NJPW OTs (though Boots handles the G1) and I hope wrestling fans everywhere get a chance to experience this card. For all the crap I give New Japan, Wrestle Kingdom always brings the goods, and now I'm super mega ultra hyped.

My plan is to pretty much sleep through the 3rd, so I should be ready to go for an all-nighter for Wrestle Kingdom and then it's straight to work. But yeah, can't wait.

EDIT: New Japan has officially announced that the English commentary team will also call New Year Dash at Korakuen the next day!

Oh that's cool. 2 English shows back to back. That's totally worth one month of the service.

Xater

January also has the FantasticaMania shows with CMLL, which should be a ton of fun - no English commentary for that tour, though.

Oh I enjoyed FantasticaMania the last time. Just saying that for those two English shows the costs more than justified.

shaowebb

Naito match is probably gonna be damned solid. I got a bad feeling they may have both Okada AND God King Nakamura drop titles though. One is taking on Cenahashi and the other is up against Styles who is fast becoming a major force for tickets and story. Styles with a belt could be a super charged target to build up stories around.

I hope I'm wrong because Nakamura and Okada are the shit. Rainmaker and Boma Ye for LIFE.

Also looking forward to all the tag matches Tama Tonga is a fun to watch guy sliding around and looking all creepshow like. Way better than his old afro headshrinker look.

TheBear

Has anyone ever gone to see wrestle kingdom live?
How hard would it be to get front row(s) seats? Seriously considering a trip to friends and go skiing, and could easily fit in WK but the Tokyo dome is damn big and I'd want good seats.

Grifter

Are these the shows that used to run for like 8 hours? When I've caught WK events live in the past, they've luckily fallen on weekends; beginning with stumbling onto the marathon late-night broadcast back when they were carried on HDNet.

He's currently injured and out until at least June, unfortunately. I'd expect he would have taken Shibata's place against Ishii for the NEVER title, while Goto vs. Naito would have been turned into a tag match with Goto and Shibata vs. Naito and EVIL.
Shame, but not unexpected given his hellacious bumping. I wonder if there's talk of toning down his stuff to adjust for the style of longer, top-card matches.

KissVibes

Banned
Another Wrestle Kingdom; Another year of them not pulling the trigger on THE WRESTLER.

Let Shibata hold a fucking singles title.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh shit!

Ishii v Shibata 3? Hopefully none of them are injured this time?

That first one 2 G1s ago was bananas!

Trevelyon

Has anyone ever gone to see wrestle kingdom live?
How hard would it be to get front row(s) seats? Seriously considering a trip to friends and go skiing, and could easily fit in WK but the Tokyo dome is damn big and I'd want good seats.

All the front row and priority seating (A) and (B) sections are gone. You'll definitely be out the back somewhere, less you find some scalpers or something.

Five days away. Do we want to share predictions?

New Japan Rumble: Satoshi Kojima because it can't be Nagata again, and I don't think it'll be Tenzan or one of the unannounced participants. Kojima vs. Okada for the IWGP championship could probably headline a small show in 2016.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: It won't be Sydal and Ricochet, and I think reDRagon is done with New Japan after this show. That leaves the Bucks or Roppongi Vice. I'm going with the Bucks.

NEVER Openweight Tag Team Championship match: You don't bring in the Briscoes with all of the hype and hoopla to job them out in their first match. The Briscoes and Toru Yano will be your first NEVER Openweight tag champs.

ROH World Championship match: Lethal's contract with ROH is almost up, but Elgin had such an underwhelming run as the ROH champion last time he had the belt. Lethal retains, and I continue to wish that Elgin would challenge for the NEVER championship instead.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: I has to be KUSHIDA, or he'll just look like the biggest chump in the world. I don't care that KUSHIDA might be in the doghouse because he hurt Ibushi. It's time to commit to KUSHIDA.

IWGP Tag Team Championship match: G.B.H. has to win this because the Bullet Club retaining would just infuriate me.

Goto vs. Naito: The question is whether Goto becomes ungovernable. I doubt it. Naito wins.

NEVER Openweight Championship match: It's time for Shibata.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Styles's contract is almost up, but it makes more sense for Styles to beat Nakamura. There's nothing for Nakamura to do with this title, while Styles has a number of fresh match-ups. I'm going with Styles.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Okada needs to win this to finish the story so we can move to other, fresher stories. This whole exercise would be pointless if Tanahashi beats Okada at the Tokyo Dome again.

Five days away. Do we want to share predictions?

New Japan Rumble: Satoshi Kojima because it can't be Nagata again, and I don't think it'll be Tenzan or one of the unannounced participants. Kojima vs. Okada for the IWGP championship could probably headline a small show in 2016.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: It won't be Sydal and Ricochet, and I think reDRagon is done with New Japan after this show. That leaves the Bucks or Roppongi Vice. I'm going with the Bucks.

NEVER Openweight Tag Team Championship match: You don't bring in the Briscoes with all of the hype and hoopla to job them out in their first match. The Briscoes and Toru Yano will be your first NEVER Openweight tag champs.

ROH World Championship match: Lethal's contract with ROH is almost up, but Elgin had such an underwhelming run as the ROH champion last time he had the belt. Lethal retains, and I continue to wish that Elgin would challenge for the NEVER championship instead.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: I has to be KUSHIDA, or he'll just look like the biggest chump in the world. I don't care that KUSHIDA might be in the doghouse because he hurt Ibushi. It's time to commit to KUSHIDA.

IWGP Tag Team Championship match: G.B.H. has to win this because the Bullet Club retaining would just infuriate me.

Goto vs. Naito: The question is whether Goto becomes ungovernable. I doubt it. Naito wins.

NEVER Openweight Championship match: It's time for Shibata.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Styles's contract is almost up, but it makes more sense for Styles to beat Nakamura. There's nothing for Nakamura to do with this title, while Styles has a number of fresh match-ups. I'm going with Styles.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Okada needs to win this to finish the story so we can move to other, fresher stories. This whole exercise would be pointless if Tanahashi beats Okada at the Tokyo Dome again.

Actually, I was kind of waiting for Datazord to give his predictions, but I think he's in the middle of an NJPW boycott since they're doing Tana/Okada again, despite the fact that I figured he'd love Shibata and Ishii stiffing the fuck out of each other.

That said, my predictions just about match up with yours, except I think Ricochet and Sydal will win the Jr. tag titles (they have to have some excuse to be there, plus Ricochet seems to be doing a good job of balancing his LU commitments and his other bookings). Also, Goto's been made into an utter bitch in the feud with Naito, so he's gotta win...I think he'll get the New Beginning title shot and finally win the title there, but he won't hold it long. Also, I'm picking Nakamura over Styles given Styles's injury.

High hopes for Ishii/Shibata and Nakamura/Styles. Ishii and Shibata will likely come close to murdering one another, and Nak/Styles could be better than Nak/Ibushi last year.

Actually, I was kind of waiting for Datazord to give his predictions, but I think he's in the middle of an NJPW boycott since they're doing Tana/Okada again, despite the fact that I figured he'd love Shibata and Ishii stiffing the fuck out of each other.

That said, my predictions just about match up with yours, except I think Ricochet and Sydal will win the Jr. tag titles (they have to have some excuse to be there, plus Ricochet seems to be doing a good job of balancing his LU commitments and his other bookings). Also, Goto's been made into an utter bitch in the feud with Naito, so he's gotta win...I think he'll get the New Beginning title shot and finally win the title there, but he won't hold it long. Also, I'm picking Nakamura over Styles given Styles's injury.

High hopes for Ishii/Shibata and Nakamura/Styles. Ishii and Shibata will likely come close to murdering one another, and Nak/Styles could be better than Nak/Ibushi last year.

Thing is, I don't mind Goto being a complete and utter loser in the feud with Naito. I want Naito to win the IC title from Styles by New Japan Cup.

The question is about match diversity on the card. You have two a flippy spotfest in the junior tag, a slightly more cohesive flippy spotfest in the junior title match, a stiff shit kicking match in NEVER, a tag brawl in the NEVER tag, and your epic New Japan style matches in the IC and IWGP matches. That leaves the ROH title match, which can't be a sprint and can't be North American indie epic. I'm not sure how that match will be structured.

And we're missing the oddball match like last year's Sakuraba/Suzuki match, but it's probably for the best since Sakuraba doesn't even know his own name after that beating at the Rizin show.

Thing is, I don't mind Goto being a complete and utter loser in the feud with Naito. I want Naito to win the IC title from Styles by New Japan Cup.

The question is about match diversity on the card. You have two a flippy spotfest in the junior tag, a slightly more cohesive flippy spotfest in the junior title match, a stiff shit kicking match in NEVER, a tag brawl in the NEVER tag, and your epic New Japan style matches in the IC and IWGP matches. That leaves the ROH title match, which can't be a sprint and can't be North American indie epic. I'm not sure how that match will be structured.

And we're missing the oddball match like last year's Sakuraba/Suzuki match, but it's probably for the best since Sakuraba doesn't even know his own name after that beating at the Rizin show.

Ah, see, I'm a big Goto mark so it bothers me when he's treated the way he is. Yeah his character is a bit on the boring side, but I buy into his fighting spirit and desire to win. He reminds me a lot of my all-time favorite wrestler, Kenta Kobashi, in that regard... Not a lot of character, but very good in the ring.

Also, you forgot the heavyweight tag title match, which considering the participants, probably falls into the brawl category of the NEVER matches. It's probably the match I'm least looking forward to, but as long as we get the great moment of Honma winning his first title, I'll be happy.

New Years Resolution: Watch more wrestling consistently from different places.

First stop, NJPW WrestleKingdom 10. It's on baby! UK here though, so back to work Tuesday, Monday off! EVEN BETTER! What a way to spend the final day of Christmas off, God bless teaching!

Bought NJPW World! All works, navigating the website is a nightmare though haha. And whenever I skip forward in a video the sound goes off which is also rather annoying.

Wrestle Kingdom 9 Nakamura vs Ibushi was incredible. This event brings out the absolute best in Nakamura's performance and personality in the ring and I hope this year is just as great as last time.

Just look at how high he turns up the Nakamura factor in these things!

nRcpO0c.gif

Dean Ambrose should take some notes on this guy.

Here's hoping his entrance is as hype as last years amazing God King Nakamura entrance

Considering he's facing AJ in a match fans have wanted to see for years, Nakamura is going to bring his best, as will AJ. I get the feeling that this will finally be the match that gets AJ a 5 snowflaker from Da Meltz.

Now I just need to reset my sleep schedule to wake up at 1am Monday morning...

Worked out the time-zones for all the live streamed stuff;

2016.01.03 - 12:00 JST | 04:00 CET | 03:00 GMT | 22:00 EST | 19:00 PST - Big Wrestling Festival
2016.01.04 - 05:00 JST | 21:00 CET | 20:00 GMT | 15:00 EST | 12:00 PST - WK10 Tokyo Dome set-up live stream
2016.01.04 - 16:00 JST | 08:00 CET | 07:00 GMT | 02:00 EST | 23:00 PST - Wrestle Kingdom 10
2016.01.05 - 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 04:00 EST | 01:00 PST - New Year Dash!

I need to figure out how badly staying up for this would wreck my sleep pattern or if I should just go media blackout until I can watch it after work.

Anyone going to watch the Big Wrestling Festival later this evening? There's only four matches, two six-man tags and two singles matches featuring the debut of the new Young Lions, but it should be a fun little show.

When is it on, Boots?

Worked out the time-zones for all the live streamed stuff;

2016.01.03 - 12:00 JST | 04:00 CET | 03:00 GMT | 22:00 EST | 19:00 PST - Big Wrestling Festival
2016.01.04 - 05:00 JST | 21:00 CET | 20:00 GMT | 15:00 EST | 12:00 PST - WK10 Tokyo Dome set-up live stream
2016.01.04 - 16:00 JST | 08:00 CET | 07:00 GMT | 02:00 EST | 23:00 PST - Wrestle Kingdom 10
2016.01.05 - 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 04:00 EST | 01:00 PST - New Year Dash!

Here.

Aiii

So not worth it
If they are going that route, skip the whole Sakura Gakuin stuff and just go straight to Babymetal.

Anyone going to watch the Big Wrestling Festival later this evening? There's only four matches, two six-man tags and two singles matches featuring the debut of the new Young Lions, but it should be a fun little show.

Hopefully them bringing in two new young lions means Tanaka and Komatsu are going on their learning excursions soon. I could see Komatsu going to CMLL since he's got great jr. talent, while Tanaka seems to be more heavyweight style and has a great personality so I think he's heading to ROH.

Still, should be a fun little preview of WK and the New Japan Rumble, as all of those guys should be in that match.

shaowebb

More I think about it, the more I want Goto to get a belt. Guy would explode as a title holder. I'd book him against Tanahashi after letting Okada keep the belt, let Goto beat Tanahashi and book Okada vs Goto as the next big thing. Before the two came into their prime characters he beat Okada before so it'd be a good way to get him in the title card and probably the best match for it.

I hope Nakamura gets to hold his belt too vs Styles and its not all an elaborate thing not announcing resigning the man yet to surprise crown Styles the champ. If Nakamura holds onto the title I think booking Nakamura vs Naito for the next PPV with Tanahashi vs Goto would be solid.

Sucks Kota Ibushi herniated his back. Now he's out indefinitely otherwise he'd be a perfect fit to work into this circle of matchups.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Glad I saw this, didn't know that NJPW World is doing the English stream now too so I'll jump in for a month at least. How quickly after the event does it get posted? If I don't make it through the entire thing will it be up by the next morning to watch the rest of the replay?

Glad I saw this, didn't know that NJPW World is doing the English stream now too so I'll jump in for a month at least. How quickly after the event does it get posted? If I don't make it through the entire thing will it be up by the next morning to watch the rest of the replay?

Yeah, no worries, the replay's usually up within an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom