• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
I would be shocked if Stanis snuck Melisandre behind Davos' back. Stanis seems to value Davos' friendship so why betray him?

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_m4dxhlxFmG1ql3i4oo1_500.gif

lol

tumblr_m4c2qpLxcA1qbt0g9o1_500.png

Enco

One thing I don't get is why Arya didn't just name Joffrey, Cersei and Twin. Sure it would've been a shorter story but would sorted out a lot of problems.

Kozak

Banned
One thing I don't get is why Arya didn't just name Joffrey, Cersei and Twin. Sure it would've been a shorter story but would sorted out a lot of problems.

Even if she did Jaquin would have told her he can't do it right away like when she wanted Tywin killed.

Well, the first was a test. So really she only had two names. Or maybe she's smart enough to know that just having Joffrey die would create even more chaos.

Either way, essentially taking Jaqen hostage is far more interesting.

This episode was such a stark contrast to last week's. I loved it.

Robb is such a competent son of a gun. It seems like he or Deanarys would be the best rulers for the realm. Well, actually Tywin would be very fair, but he's too old.

I agree with you about Robb and Deanarys but I think Tywin would be a bad king. The way he hung a dozen or so "innocent" soldiers whom he suspected may have had something to do with an assassination attempt tells me he doesn't have much respect for life.
I love Tywin as a character though. He has the greatest presence on the show.

LevelNth

Banned
Wow, didn't even notice this thread existed! Thank god, the incessant book bitching in the other thread was just becoming too much.

defel

I agree with you about Robb and Deanarys but I think Tywin would be a bad king. The way he hung a dozen or so "innocent" soldiers whom he suspected may have had something to do with an assassination attempt tells me he doesn't have much respect for life.

We've already seen with Ned Stark that those who respect life dont necessarily suit positions of power. I think you need a mix of respect for your citizens as well as the ability to make calculated decisions, even if they appear cruel or evil. Tywin has that in spades and Tyrion has this too. It is possible that Robb has these type of characteristics too. I wouldnt have thought so until the last episode but the fact that he was prepared to imprison his mother demonstrates that he has backbone.

Sajjaja

We've already seen with Ned Stark that those who respect life dont necessarily suit positions of power. I think you need a mix of respect for your citizens as well as the ability to make calculated decisions, even if they appear cruel or evil. Tywin has that in spades and Tyrion has this too. It is possible that Robb has these type of characteristics too. I wouldnt have thought so until the last episode but the fact that he was prepared to imprison his mother demonstrates that he has backbone.

I think it's mostly because Cate brought in personal emotions over strategy. The loss of children is an expected consequence and she should not be special just because she is the mother of Robb. Robb understands this I guess and knows that she has becoem a liability once she did that.

Tacitus_

Tywin would make a great king. He wouldn't make a nice king however.

J-Rod

I guess Tywin wasn't on to aryia completely after all. That surprised me a bit.

Pretty nice to see Theon's sister shame him. Even a bunch of admitted scalawags thinks he pulled a shithead stunt. Her sentiment was not very moving to me, though. She wanted to strangle him and he smiled at her. How touching.

I think Stannis is going to fail. Highlighting the huge stock of pig shit bombs earlier in the season just seems to tell me they are going to drive back his fleet. Also, it seems tyrion is going to get his revenge on Cerci before anyone else gets to her. It's hard to tell if tyrion has any intention of sacrificing the prostitue in order for Joffrey to die in the battle.

Speaking of that prostitute, she has really been delt a crappy hand lately. Watching infants being slain, threatened by littlefinger, forced to beat another prostitute for Joffrey, and now a roughed up prisoner.

So what's going on with the Jon situation? Anyone know what he was talking about when he told Jon, "as long as you do what needs to be done" before causing a distraction of sorts? It seemed like he was trying to get him and ygritte alone. Is he supposed to kill her or something? Is doing what needs to be done refering to something now or something later down the road when their captors take them to whoever?

It was joked about in the pics, but I really am somewhat expecting blacksmith and ariya action later on in the story. The potential for stark/baratheon children.

Robb really stepped up to the plate this season. I'm rooting for him, but I just don't expect things to end well for him. Too many things in the story being setup for the long run for him to come out on top. Plus, he is too much of a good guy and it would be too obvious.

Cat may be dumb, but she has some pretty big nuts. Everyone was speculating whether she would kill jamie or just fuck him up (I thought she would take his tongue), but she didn't let that smack talk override her reason, bad as it may be, and she let him go.

Droning on so I'll stop with saying that it seems like there hasn't been nearly as much over the top sex scenes for a whole 3 episodes in a row.

So what's going on with the Jon situation? Anyone know what he was talking about when he told Jon, "as long as you do what needs to be done" before causing a distraction of sorts? It seemed like he was trying to get him and ygritte alone. Is he supposed to kill her or something? Is doing what needs to be done refering to something now or something later down the road when their captors take them to whoever?

I got the impression that he wants Jon to infiltrate Mance Raydar's army, learn more about them, and escape to report back to the Night's Watch.

Revolver

I got the impression that he wants Jon to infiltrate Mance Raydar's army, learn more about them, and escape to report back to the Night's Watch.

That's what I got from his actions too. I just wonder if Jon is smart enough to catch that. He doesn't seem to be the brightest bastard on the Watch.

Something that bugged me in this episode was how there was no mention of Daeneyrs' handmaid (Doreah I think was her name) that disappeared along with the dragons. I'm guessing she was taken to (cue creepy voice) "the House of the Undying" to tend to the dragons.

That's what I got from his actions too. I just wonder if Jon is smart enough to catch that. He doesn't seem to be the brightest bastard on the Watch.

He's like a male version of Sansa, really. Naive to the ways of the world, and doing his best to keep up. Holds true to the ideals of his household but slowly learning just how harsh everything is.

Pocks

Something that bugged me in this episode was how there was no mention of Daeneyrs' handmaid (Doreah I think was her name) that disappeared along with the dragons. I'm guessing she was taken to (cue creepy voice) "the House of the Undying" to tend to the dragons.

I bet they used magic on her to steal the dragons. Although I doubt she's responsible for the deaths of the guards and other handmaiden.

Vagabundo

Pretty nice to see Theon's sister shame him. Even a bunch of admitted scalawags thinks he pulled a shithead stunt. Her sentiment was not very moving to me, though. She wanted to strangle him and he smiled at her. How touching. .

I thought that bit was well done. It shows her facade is actually to "fit in" with the lads. It's the only way that she could rule them.

She only showed her true face when Theon is about to do something incredibly stupid - even for him.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

Wasn't she lying there on the floor by the dragon baskets? I think they mentioned her death, too, or am I confusing her with someone else?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
In that scene with Dany and Jorah, I'm undecided whether that touch on the cheek she gave him was because she is genuinely affectionate towards him or if she was manipulating him knowing that he's in love with her.

Thoughts?

JGS

Banned
In that scene with Dany and Jorah, I'm undecided whether that touch on the cheek she gave him was because she is genuinely affectionate towards him or if she was manipulating him knowing that he's in love with her.

Thoughts?
I think she knows he's being honest (I wonder what she'll do when she finds out he was supposed to betray her). Plus she has been told he loves her.

I actually wonder whether or not Dany shares the insanity that runs in her family. What was coming across as resolve could be the first signs of madness.

Dariee

I think the latter.

Dany does care about Jorah, but in no way have I seen Dany being affectionate 'love wise'. While on the other hand Jorah would do or sacrifice anything to help Dany.

Something different I couldn't remember from season one, though: the mysterious person with the 'mask' thing doing that tattoo referred to Jorah as having betrayed Dany already once, to which the reply was that Jorah wouldn't do it again ever. But, what betrayal are we talking about here? It's from three episodes back or something.

Edit after reading post above: or was that only the intention to betray Dany with that poisen stuff from season one, but because it didn't happen Jorah didn't actually betray anone after all?

I think he also was hinting at Jon eventually killing him to help with the whole infiltration pretext, hence the manufactured argument.

Something different I couldn't remember from season one, though: the mysteryous person with the 'mask' thing doing that tattoo referred to Jorah as having betrayed Dany already once, to which the reply was that Jorah wouldn't do it again ever. But, what betrayal are we talking about here? It's from three episodes back or something.

Jorah was spying on Dany (via Varys) and was being offered a pardon to return back to Westeros. Then he changed his mind and stopped Dany from getting poisoned at the market.

Dariee

I think he also was hinting at Jon eventually killing him to help with the whole infiltration pretext, hence the manufactured argument.
Something along the lines of 'proof that you are a Night's Watch deserter by killing a Night's Watch' kinda story? Might be; good thought.

And thanks for answering my other question, GoT-GAF.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

This was my thought as well. "Doing what must be done" to me implied he would let himself be killed by Jon as proof of Jon switching sides because he said that one ranger behind their lines was worth 1000 at the wall or words to that effect.

Masked woman works for Varys as well, yeah?

Maybe? She's (Quaithe is her name) pretty knowledgeable but I think the writers want to keep her motives mysterious for the time being.

I think the only known thing about her is (HBO GO special feature revealed this but the audience should know regardless)
that she hails from the Shadow Lands, not far from where Melisandre originated. You can tell based on her red clothing under her mask which is the same as Melisandre's.

JGS

Banned
Edit after reading post above: or was that only the intention to betray Dany with that poisen stuff from season one, but because it didn't happen Jorah didn't actually betray anone after all?
I think of betrayal as the start of a matter so him posing as someone that could be trusted was betrayal itself. That said, I think that is completely hstory but Dany doesn't know any of it and, assuming she lives, will not know for some time to come until they reach Westoros.

Dany thought from the beginning that Jorah was on her side- even siding with her over his brother. I can't remember what exactly changed his mind though, but it will be interesting to see how it develops.

CLEEK

Something that's confusing me about the Dany plot line.

In season 1, Varys was plotting with the original host of Dany and her brother. They were planning for them to return to Westeros and claim the throne - Arya over hears them while hiding in the dragon skull. But wasn't Varys also plotting to have them killed? And Jorah was originally spying for Varys to achieve this? Or am I forgetting something?

aFIGurANT

No you got it...it was supposed to be either Illyrio (the guy that was hosting the two Targaeryns) or someone close to him or something, and Varys. They said that war would be bad for the realm and that something must be done about the duo and thus Jorah almost had Dany killed in the market, although he has since then seemed to be a loyal old companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom