• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEEK

So Varys and Illyrio did a complete flip and changed their minds? I don't remember that bit. Was it ever clear why they wanted the Targaeryns to retake the the throne in the first place, so why they arranged for her marriage to Drogo etc.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Any ideas who the dragon glass could belong too? Is someone from the Night's Watch a Targaryen? Or used to be?

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about that discovery.

Any ideas who the dragon glass could belong too? Is someone from the Night's Watch a Targaryen? Or used to be?

IIRC Sam said the stone carving covering it was that of the First Men, and that the coat looked very old. Maybe one of the first Night's Watch left it?

Al-ibn Kermit

So Tywin hears that Robb had to send a splinter force up north to retake Winterfell, and so he gathers his army to march immediately and attack Robb's reduced forces?

That sounds like suicide. Aren't they pretty well matched up in numbers? But for whatever reason, one of them keeps on losing. I don't even think Robb sent that many men to Winterfell anyways.

Although, maybe Tywin's army will come upon Brienne and Jaime and that will make them pause to rethink their attack. Hell, Jaime could even give them some pointers on what kind of numbers and equipment they have as he's been their prisoner for a while.

As for King's Landing, I expect Tyrion's fireball things to work. It'll be kind of weird if Stannis' army gets slaughtered so easily though, I kinda still want a Barotheon brother fighting over their actually legitimate birthright.

TDLink

So Tywin hears that Robb had to send a splinter force up north to retake Winterfell, and so he gathers his army to march immediately and attack Robb's reduced forces?

That sounds like suicide. Aren't they pretty well matched up in numbers? But for whatever reason, one of them keeps on losing. I don't even think Robb sent that many men to Winterfell anyways.

Although, maybe Tywin's army will come upon Brienne and Jaime and that will make them pause to rethink their attack. Hell, Jaime could even give them some pointers on what kind of numbers and equipment they have as he's been their prisoner for a while.

As for King's Landing, I expect Tyrion's fireball things to work. It'll be kind of weird if Stannis' army gets slaughtered so easily though, I kinda still want a Barotheon brother fighting over their actually legitimate birthright.

I was more under the impression that Tywin is assuming Robb will send a force to go retake Winterfell and is using his moment of split attention to preemptively strike. In actuality the group Robb sent to retake Winterfell are one of his bannerman's son's forces...which are much closer to Winterfell. At least that was my interpretation of the situation. I Don't think Robb is actually sending troops from his forces at his camp, but Tywin is (incorrectly) assuming he will. You may be right about him running into Jamie though. That would be interesting.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is the funniest thing I've seen today

tumblr_m4e21c7iQ41qzlc6io1_1280.png

RS4-

Something that's confusing me about the Dany plot line.

In season 1, Varys was plotting with the original host of Dany and her brother. They were planning for them to return to Westeros and claim the throne - Arya over hears them while hiding in the dragon skull. But wasn't Varys also plotting to have them killed? And Jorah was originally spying for Varys to achieve this? Or am I forgetting something?

I've got to watch s1 again but I don't remember Jorah being involved with that or the marketplace (the poison drink?)

JGS

Banned
I was more under the impression that Tywin is assuming Robb will send a force to go retake Winterfell and is using his moment of split attention to preemptively strike. In actuality the group Robb sent to retake Winterfell are one of his bannerman's son's forces...which are much closer to Winterfell. At least that was my interpretation of the situation. I Don't think Robb is actually sending troops from his forces at his camp, but Tywin is (incorrectly) assuming he will. You may be right about him running into Jamie though. That would be interesting.
I asked this a page ago and was thinking the same thing. Tywin appears to be fighting Robb's full army. However, he also indicates he was told the army split.

I'm trying to remember if there were people in the room with Robb when he said to split up that weren't there when they decided the other way.
I've got to watch s1 again but I don't remember Jorah being involved with that or the marketplace (the poison drink?)
Jorah was a part of it which is why they were in the market (Or he split up for them). I didn't remember Varys plotting to kill her unless at the request of the king. However, I barely remember the secondary characters from early in the season.

Varys is pretty neutral (He's pretty calm even now during the impending invasion), so if one goal doesn't work out, he'll switch and accomodate.

Dariee

Wasn't the very old blind elder at the Night's Watch (season 1) a Targaryen? Thought that person only went there during the later stages of life after refusing the throne or something. Despite all of that, don't think that is one to go north of The Wall (considering the age/blindness and all).

J-Rod

I think the firebombs will work, but I don't expect Stannis to be gone quite yet, because I suspect the giant warrior lady will be the one to kill him. Maybe she takes Jamie to kings landing and happens to get there during the battle and gets her opportunity to kill him there?

JGS

Banned
I can't picture the fire bomb things working at all. Bronn convinced me it would be a disaster except in not siege settings- almost a last stand technique or the equivalent of pouring boiling oil on the invaders. Far range attacks with be one of those Deus ex Machima[?] things.

Kozak

Banned
Preview/Promo discussion:

From the promo Stanis is incredibly close to the walls when they are attacking and was it Joffrey that exclaims "Theres too many!"?

I'm going to have to assume that the amount of men that Stanis is bringing is more than enough to withstand the threat of explosives.

Jonm1010

Banned
I just thought of this but was it ever resolved who actually sent the assassin with Tyrions knife to murder Bran?

I'm guessing I just missed it or forgot.

JGS

Banned
Does it make a difference if it's practical or not? The writers will either make it succeed or fail. There are plenty of ways to write both scenarios.
If they use it to win the war, then it may matter.

I do not want to see people learning about these things at the ivasion onset and then miraculously shooting them at ships with pinpoint accuracy to win the war.

I think they will play a role but they should be the primary reason Kings Landing doesn't fall. It could be the solution to them winning though which is a bit different.

JGS

Banned
After Joffrey's comment last episode I'm pretty of sure that Stannis will kill that arrogant prick
It would be funny/horrible though if it turned out that, after being held down by Joffrey's men, he actually does kill Stannis.

Wouldn't see that coming...

Both guys are so arrogant and sure of themselves that I really don't know how that battle's going to end. I can't wait.

operon

It would be funny/horrible though if it turned out that, after being held down by Joffrey's men, he actually does kill Stannis.

Both guys are so arrogant and sure of themselves that I really don't know how that battle's going to end. I can't wait.

At least Stannis has experience etc to back that up, Joffrey just a cunt

Raist

Banned
I just thought of this but was it ever resolved who actually sent the assassin with Tyrions knife to murder Bran?

I'm guessing I just missed it or forgot.

I think it's implied that it was Jamie, no?
I remember a conversation between him and Cersei after the failed assassination attempt and she was like "wtf were you thinking?".

I think it's implied that it was Jamie, no?
I remember a conversation between him and Cersei after the failed assassination attempt and she was like "wtf were you thinking?".
I think that was 'WTF were you thinking pushing him out of the window'. It would still make sense if it was Jamie to hide his actions but since they used Tyrion's knife, they were trying to blame him and I don't see Jamie doing that.

Raist

Banned
I think that was 'WTF were you thinking pushing him out of the window'. It would still make sense if it was Jamie to hide his actions but since they used Tyrion's knife, they were trying to blame him and I don't see Jamie doing that.

Yeah, not so sure about the timing of that conversation. I don't know if they ever meant it to be a bit clear in the show then.

Kinyou

He sure wouldn't mind using dirty tricks, though usually he can't even stop Tyrion from slapping him around. lol

Vagabundo

Why used Tyrion's knife? Unless you want to implicate Tyrion if the assassination fails.

Why would Jamie want to implicate him? Unless little finger was lying.

DKehoe

Expecting the fire bombs to repel Stannis' fleet but not totally decimate them (so will still have an army thats a sizeable threat). Them being stopped by fire raining down on them will be used by Melisandre to increase her influence over Stannis.

Jonm1010

Banned
Why used Tyrion's knife? Unless you want to implicate Tyrion if the assassination fails.

Why would Jamie want to implicate him? Unless little finger was lying.

Thats why i was wondering if there was something I missed. I got the impression that it was a third party trying to possibly set up a confrontation, and not Jaime or Cersei.

Oh well, I feel like even if it never was fully answered that plotline isnt relevant anymore.

Jonm1010

Banned
Expecting the fire bombs to repel Stannis' fleet but not totally decimate them (so will still have an army thats a sizeable threat). Them being stopped by fire raining down on them will be used by Melisandre to increase her influence over Stannis.

I could 100% see that happening. Setting up next season to have melisandre unleash all manner of vagina demons on kings landing and begin to overshadow Stannis' authority.

I could 100% see that happening. Setting up next season to have melisandre unleash all manner of vagina demons on kings landing and begin to overshadow Stannis' authority.

Hmm thinking about that makes me see a big similarity between these "kings". Stannis being controlled by the whitch, Rob having his mom do a lot for him, the black rich guy needed Dany to get him power, and Joffery having his mom trying to control him. And in all these cases we see the men tryin to prove that they're the ones in control.

Some food for thought.

Thats why i was wondering if there was something I missed. I got the impression that it was a third party trying to possibly set up a confrontation, and not Jaime or Cersei.

Oh well, I feel like even if it never was fully answered that plotline isnt relevant anymore.

Correct, I don't think the show addressed it fully.

gibut

I don't think they were expecting the assassin to get caught when they sent him. If it wasn't for the wolf the assassin would have killed Bran and been off without anyone knowing what had happened.

Lady Stark has had both Lannister men as her prisoner and let them both go, find it kind of ironic since she blames the Lannister for her husbands death.

JGS

Banned
I thought that Cercei pretty much admitted to Ned that she or Jaime did something when he confronted her about Joffrey being Jaime's son.

J-Rod

It surprises me that he left melisandre. She's had him eating out of her hand in almost every scene. He was seemingly growing colder towards all his other advisors, even onion knight by refusing to hear him out about the shadow monster to the point of threatening him. Now he is at a crucial event and he decides to leave her and honors onion bro. She's been able to talk him into forsaking his gods, his wife, and anything else, so it seems she could have talked him into letting her go pretty easily.

gibut

Stannis and Onion Knight have a pretty long conversation about it. Onion Knight pretty much says that if he brings her along that people will think that hes just a puppet that is being used by Melisandre.

It surprises me that he left melisandre. She's had him eating out of her hand in almost every scene. He was seemingly growing colder towards all his other advisors, even onion knight by refusing to hear him out about the shadow monster to the point of threatening him. Now he is at a crucial event and he decides to leave her and honors onion bro. She's been able to talk him into forsaking his gods, his wife, and anything else, so it seems she could have talked him into letting her go pretty easily.

DKehoe

Unless she wanted to be left behind. Like I was saying in my previous post if Stannis suffers a defeat in this invasion attempt then Melisandre will be in a much stronger position, especially compared to Davos.

JGS

Banned
I'm thinking Meisandre is fine with not being on a boat. Stannis has a larger army now and is a better commander (Plus pirates!). He would need no extra help to begin with since they don't know the fire stuff exists.

Melisandre is already in the queen position.

Kozak

Banned
Just wondering, why doesn't Melisandre send her shadow things to kill Joffrey and well...everyone?

1 time use or what?

edit:

Would be cool if they show up at the battle. Could be one of those "you told me to leave Melisandre behind, not her shadows".

Kinyou

Just wondering, why doesn't Melisandre send her shadow things to kill Joffrey and well...everyone?

1 time use or what?
I'd imagine that the range is somewhat limited, (he had to bring her to the shore after all)
and that it's rather exhausting for her. (not sure by the way if that creature was the outcome of her and stannis having sex)

Dariee

I'd imagine that the range is somewhat limited, (he had to bring her to the shore after all)
and that it's rather exhausting for her. (not sure by the way if that creature was the outcome of her and stannis having sex)
That's what I thought, honestly.

No explanation for the how and why, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom