• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
One disappointing thing about this episode is that the direction of Jon Snow's storyline is made so obvious..

A bastard son of the famous Eddard Stark who wishes to lead one day kept alive by the Wildlings to be taken to Mance. Mance takes him under his wing and Jon earns respect from the Wildlings and feels that he's finally found his place..

I really hope that it doesn't work out like that. The best place for Jon is with the Lord Commander. The only man who can whip this guy into shape.

This isn't Theon we're talking about. Remember the mirror-image beheadings? I think Jon will be tempted like Theon, but will stick to his oaths.

mm04

I'm also gonna miss Joqan(?) if last night was truly the last time we'll see him. He was a man of his word. Awesome how Arya and crew walk through the main gates and the guards were already dead.

Can't wait till next week's show!

One thing that irrationally bothered me about that was Arya never got Needle back! C'mon, she named her sword and it was given to her from Jon Snow. Sucks it was taken by some soldier. I was hoping Jaqen was going to get that back to her. Oh well.

One disappointing thing about this episode is that the direction of Jon Snow's storyline is made so obvious..

A bastard son of the famous Eddard Stark who wishes to lead one day kept alive by the Wildlings to be taken to Mance. Mance takes him under his wing and Jon earns respect from the Wildlings and feels that he's finally found his place..

I really hope that it doesn't work out like that. The best place for Jon is with the Lord Commander. The only man who can whip this guy into shape.

That's what the older guy told him to do lol...

Kozak

Banned
Jon has underlying issues that are apparent to those around him though. He's so easily manipulated that I can only imagine Mance will have an easy time converting him.

I actually feel sympathetic for Theon after this episode. Nothing he's done has resulted in the way he'd hoped for. The poor guy is losing it, he so dearly wants to be appreciated by someone. I can imagine his death being quite emotional, especially if its at the hands of Robb.

That's what the older guy told him to do lol...

Yeah but the older guy has different intentions. When has Jon ever done what was expected of him? If Jon joins the wildlings it won't be with the intention of acting as an inside source, he's not smart enough for that.

Nizz

Yeah, definitely a shame if he's gone for good but I can't really see how we'd see more of him now that basically every character has left from the keep.

I really liked the scenes with Varys and Tyrion, especially Varys has such good interaction with everyone he talks with. Still missing the scenes with him and Littlefinger.

Cercei finding the wrong whore was strange, I know they said something about her jewellery but wouldn't Cercei know she was also the one sent to Joffrey? Doubt Tyrion would send the apple of his eye to that beast. They're probably going to explain it in the next ep as the whore was strangely in on it with Tyrion. Just as they started making Cercei look a bit more warm she pulls off that kind of shit. Her scene with Tyrion in ep 7 was amazing, maybe even one of the best this season.
Yeah, I found that scene strange also. Seems she (the whore) was in on it somehow. Loved how Tyrion just went with the flow. And yeah about Cersei. I actually felt a little for her after last week's scene with her and Tyrion. But this week she was back to Queen Bitch mode.

One thing that irrationally bothered me about that was Arya never got Needle back! C'mon, she named her sword and it was given to her from Jon Snow. Sucks it was taken by some soldier. I was hoping Jaqen was going to get that back to her. Oh well.
Yes, it's a shame she didn't get her sword back. But hey, at least she got away with Gendry and hot pie(?). What I feel is a shame is how her three choices for assassination seemed wasted in a way. The first one was the test but the second one was out of desperation. For a moment I thought she was going to name Tywin.

Enosh

I think this episode made Stanis a lot more sympathetic
he has always followed orders, always tried his best, but got screwed over in the end so now he said fuck it, lets try everything I can to get the throne, which he has the best claim for by, like he said, every law in westeros

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I thought she did name tywin? Maybe I misheard. I thought she named tywin and the guy was like it can't be done.

She said she wanted him dead "right now", and he answered that he couldn't do it. She didn't properly name him, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She said she wanted him dead "right now", and he answered that he couldn't do it. She didn't properly name him, though.

Pretty much. Tywin seemed to interpret Lorch's death as an attempt on his own life, so I would imagine his security would be much, much higher now.

I felt like Arya wanted to kill Tywin herself. That's why she never named him until he was out of her reach.
I think that was the point of all the Arya-Tywin scenes - Arya seems smart enough to know that Tywin is the obvious choice to use Jaqen's services on, but she hesitated due to the fact he seemed rational and human enough at the time. Now that he's leaving, she suddenly realizes that Tywin is incredibly dangerous to her interests, but it's too late.

Zeliard

Arya was also basically spying. Since Tywin was clueless about her and felt comfortable divulging various bits of info on battle plans in her vicinity, she could potentially use that to the Starks' advantage later on. i.e. right now she knows that he's headed towards Robb so she's probably trying to set off to warn him.

The issue wasn't that he couldn't or wouldn't kill Tywin if she named him, heck he looked like he was going to off himself if she insisted, which is why he begged her to unname him.

The issue is the "right now" part, he would probably have to go after Tywin and it might take weeks or months before he can pull it off if he does pull it off. Arya wanted Tywin dead before his army does harm to Robb, which is simply not possible.

IIRC Cersei didn't want him knowing about it and he co-opted the production secretly, so no one is going to be talking about it openly.

JGS

Banned
I don't get it, why doesn't Tyrion use the eternal fire or whatever is called?
It would be under better control with him rather than Joffrey or Cersei.

He may entrust a few with it instead of the whole wall for example.

Bronn is teaching him a lot.

sangreal

Yeah, I found that scene strange also. Seems she (the whore) was in on it somehow. Loved how Tyrion just went with the flow. And yeah about Cersei. I actually felt a little for her after last week's scene with her and Tyrion. But this week she was back to Queen Bitch mode.

Yes, it's a shame she didn't get her sword back. But hey, at least she got away with Gendry and hot pie(?). What I feel is a shame is how her three choices for assassination seemed wasted in a way. The first one was the test but the second one was out of desperation. For a moment I thought she was going to name Tywin.

Only the tickler was a waste in my mind. The second guy needed to die for what he did to Yoren.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
well he didn't mention it a single time.
but probably he will do this way

Actually... (not technically a spoiler if you've been paying close attention, but just in case..)
he does reference it at the end of that scene, when he mentions the "pig shit"

Jonm1010

Banned
I just wanted to chime in and ask if anyone else is feeling that the dialogue and conversations are markedly better this season?

The only slightly over the top conversation I heard this season was the Tyrion and Shae conversation, whereas last season there were a number of conversations and pieces of dialogue that seemed forced, unrealistic and even fairly poor at times.

I feel like the writers have certainly grown from last season, though I still feel this season woul have benefitted from a couple extra episodes.

Moaradin

I just wanted to chime in and ask if anyone else is feeling that the dialogue and conversations are markedly better this season?

The only slightly over the top conversation I heard this season was the Tyrion and Shae conversation, whereas last season there were a number of conversations and pieces of dialogue that seemed forced, unrealistic and even fairly poor at times.

I feel like the writers have certainly grown from last season, though I still feel this season woul have benefitted from a couple extra episodes.

I think the dialogue has been great this season, though a lot of people in the other thread seem to think differently. A lot of people think this season is the worst thing in the world lol.

This series has way too many set-up episodes. The writers need to get their shit together.

Blood of my blood, Oona Chaplin is fucking gorgeous. That scene was incredible. From her story to her body.

She's Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter.

I guess that's true, I just hope she's thought it out smarter then "take Jamie toward kings landing and hope when they give him back that the lannisters give back sansa." This seems Like a very "Ned" move, overestimating other peoples loyalty and honor only to have them use that against you.

She might have sent Jamie to the Veil for safekeeping until Littlefinger can arrange a deal with the Lannisters.

From the way it's been presented so far, King's Landing is woefully under-protected, and Stannis has an enormous army behind him. I thought the crew were all behind him, but then the camera lingered on someone giving him a dodgy look while they were on the boat during last night's episode (maybe one of Renly's guys?) which suggests that internal issues might ultimately stop Stannis from succeeding - not any effort by the Lannisters. I also can't see them wiping out Joffrey, Cersei and Tyrion in one fell swoop (although one or more of them could always flee I guess?)

MMaRsu

Damn another great episode! I'm really loving this season..wondering when I should start reading the books I bought a few weeks back :).

Kayhan

From the way it's been presented so far, King's Landing is woefully under-protected, and Stannis has an enormous army behind him. I thought the crew were all behind him, but then the camera lingered on someone giving him a dodgy look while they were on the boat during last night's episode (maybe one of Renly's guys?) which suggests that internal issues might ultimately stop Stannis from succeeding - not any effort by the Lannisters. I also can't see them wiping out Joffrey, Cersei and Tyrion in one fell swoop (although one or more of them could always flee I guess?)

I could see Joffrey and Cersei dying during the siege or in the aftermath but I doubt that Tyrion will die.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

That was Davos' son.

You guys need to pay more attention to the show.

So haaawwwwt! I hope she lives forever!

Have to say, I really liked the episode, everything is setting up for a great ending to the season.

Kozak

Banned
That was Davos' son.

You guys need to pay more attention to the show.

And Davos' son has disapproved of the path that Stanis has chosen since the first time we saw him so the stare doesn't really mean much other than the fact that he still doesn't completely agree with the path Stanis has chosen.

Doubt much will come from it.

JGS

Banned
I could see Joffrey and Cersei dying during the siege or in the aftermath but I doubt that Tyrion will die.
No matter what happens in the books (I don't have a clue for the record), Tyrion ain't dying in the series.

They foreshadow this with his conversation with Varys saying he is suited for the game and he likes it.

I was looking at the maps and Robb is way closer to the Lannisters than I thought. I was thinking he was headed to Kings Landing first.

Amir0x

Banned
I think we all feel this season could benefit from a 100 extra episodes.

Yeah, but their shooting schedule is so tight they said it's impossible to get a season per year with any more than 10 episodes with an epic show like this

also god I love reading all you guys predictions. it's like experiencing the series for the first time again all over

++vicariously living through GAF

Jonm1010

Banned
Well I am happy they are supposedly dealing up the next book into two seasons which should help with the sometimes overly fast paced flow, at least I assume.

Amir0x

Banned
man i bet both those seasons will still feel too short. The third book is massive with plot.

i just will be sitting here, reading GAF's posts. It's way more entertaining than the show.

Nizz

Nothing would make me happier to see that little shit get his. :)

No matter what happens in the books (I don't have a clue for the record), Tyrion ain't dying in the series.

They foreshadow this with his conversation with Varys saying he is suited for the game and he likes it.

I was looking at the maps and Robb is way closer to the Lannisters than I thought. I was thinking he was headed to Kings Landing first.
I really enjoyed the conversation Tyrion and Varys had. With Varys telling him (paraphrasing)
"I've heard whispers that Danearys Targaryen lives and she has dragons. Once they were fully grown, no one could hide". And Tyrion telling him "one game at a time my friend". They seem good together.

Let's keep the book talk in the other thread, please.
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your continued cooperation.

Nizz

I think the showrunners must concur, because so far they have not missed a single opportunity to have someone slap the fuck out of Joffrey
Every time I see Tyrion lay the smack down on Joffrey I always have a smile on my face. I love it. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Every time I see Tyrion lay the smack down on Joffrey I always have a smile on my face. I love it. :)

So far he was slapped by Tyrion twice or three times, and once by Cersei right? Did anyone else slap him?

We'll need to build a "Joffrey gets slapped" montage. The actor who plays him has probably the most slappable face in world history, so it fits.

Nizz

So far he was slapped by Tyrion twice or three times, and once by Cersei right? Did anyone else slap him?

We'll need to build a "Joffrey gets slapped" montage. The actor who plays him has probably the most slappable face in world history, so it fits.
I believe that's the count so far. :D

Something else about the show, I'm kind of disappointed in how Ghost has seemingly abandoned Jon. He's completely disappeared. :/ It would be so awesome if Arya ran into her wolf as she's on the road.

Ryck

Mance Ryder is prolly Benjen Stark... "he used to be a crow" That is prolly also why Jon is being taken to him and why him being Ned's Bastard is relevant.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member
And Davos' son has disapproved of the path that Stanis has chosen since the first time we saw him so the stare doesn't really mean much other than the fact that he still doesn't completely agree with the path Stanis has chosen.

Doubt much will come from it.

He is likely not happy that Stannis heeded Davos' advice to not bring Melisandre with them, as he was depicted as being a fanatic during one of the earlier episodes in season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom