• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Stannis' people dragged him away as his men fled, but was he not over the wall by that point? How does he escape? And what do non-book readers (Amir0x, I appreciate your ability to be discreet throughout this thread, but please don't respond to this bit of my post :p) think his future role is? Ally with Robb, or flee and never factor into the main story again?

Amir0x

Banned
So Stannis' people dragged him away as his men fled, but was he not over the wall by that point? How does he escape?

Well he's on the battlements, not technically inside the city walls yet, so I guess he could have just went back down the ladder? But... then he would have ran into Tywin and Loras' army down below, no? I have no idea how he could have escaped, I'm just as confused as you as to this actually lol

Basileus777 said:
I'm sure they won't disappoint you on that end next week.

Ugh, please no :(

Story of two halfs for me:
- Great first half - simply spectacular and amazing.
- Second half was well...pretty bad in places.

Tyrions 'side attack' was awful and then Stannis's men attack (where the fuck were they exactly? surely they'd already be attacking?).

It just falls apart after a really really amazing first half (seriously it makes up for the rest of it by itself - but still am not gonna lie and call the rest good because of it).

I think it should have been a 2-parter. More build up to the battle, then some more feeling of a battle going on. It felt like both sides were just really shit in the end.

They did do a great job. Really great. But I think as 2 episodes it would have fitted more.

Tyrion won the show though.

So yeah - mixed for me. I just find Tyrion's side attack hilariously bad, its dreadful stuff - rushed and cheap and makes little sense for me.

Well he's on the battlements, not technically inside the city walls yet, so I guess he could have just went back down the ladder? But... then he would have ran into Tywin and Loras' army down below, no? I have no idea how he could have escaped, I'm just as confused as you as to this actually lol

Most of the actual thought behind the battle scenes make no sense, I think were just suppose to 'go with it'. He could still escape to his boats and put up a fight.

No reason to think it was an easy escape.

Another question, in the EW article, the showrunners say the following:

As we’ve mentioned before, we went pleading to HBO for more money. We made our case why we needed the battle and they obliged. That allowed us to do a battle. It did not allow us to do the battle from A Clash of Kings. It would be difficult for a $200 million feature to do justice to the battle from the book. We didn’t have a chance; there just wasn’t enough time on the schedule or money in the budget (even after our Blackwater bonus).

In the least spoilery way possible, to what are they referring? And why couldn't $200 million do it justice?

Amir0x

Banned

In the least spoilery way possible, to what are they referring? And why couldn't $200 million do it justice?

Um, well, this can never happen in the show now obviously because this part is over, but I'll...

Edit: Actually, I'll just PM it to you.

Cake Boss

Banned
So is gramps going to get all of the credit for the won battle because Tyrion only took down majority of Stannis ships without even putting any his men in the battle plus rallied the troops while their King fled like a pussy.

So is gramps going to get all of the credit for the won battle because Tyrion only took down majority of Stannis ships without even putting any his men in the battle plus rallied the troops while their King fled like a pussy.

Am a bit confused over one aspect. Was the wild fire Tyrion's plan? Or Cersei's?
Was she just going to 'burn the city' (e.g. a mirror of Aerys mad plan) - or was it to be a weapon against Stannis?

Amir0x

Banned
"WITH FIRE AND BLOOD!"

And she saw it in her dreams, and her dreams come true :(

Am a bit confused over one aspect. Was the wild fire Tyrion's plan? Or Cersei's?
Was she just going to 'burn the city' (e.g. a mirror of Aerys mad plan) - or was it to be a weapon against Stannis?

It was Cersei's plan initially, and from the way the show tells it, it seems she was planning to fling the wildfire indiscriminately at Stannis' army. Tyrion objects in the show because if one of the soldiers flinging the wildfire made even a tiny mistake, the WildFire might end up burning down all of King's Landing.

Vlad

So Stannis' people dragged him away as his men fled, but was he not over the wall by that point? How does he escape? And what do non-book readers (Amir0x, I appreciate your ability to be discreet throughout this thread, but please don't respond to this bit of my post :p) think his future role is? Ally with Robb, or flee and never factor into the main story again?

I imagine that he'lll factor in in some way or another. He seems too stubborn about his claim to the throne to just let it drop, although this was a heck of a loss.

The only thing I see for sure happening is that the loss last night is going to push him closer to Melisandre. I'm sure that the next time we see the two of them together, she's going to be giving him crap about how he lost because she wasn't there with him, and I'm sure he'll buy into it, especially considering how easily he defeated Renly when she was involved.

One more reminder on the spoiler rules.
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
As always, it's best if book readers post in the other thread. Thank you for your help.

Amir0x

Banned
NO. I need a link.

heh, your name is wildfire. Well, I was looking for a link last night for someone else and can't find where I saw it, maybe I saw it in some GAF post link or something. But without the link, we know the showrunners doubled the budget for this episode - from $7,000,000 on average to $14,000,000. And we know the two most expensive bits were the explosion and the scenes with the soldiers fighting in front of the Mud Gate. Given this, we can't extrapolate a little bit, I suppose. Sorry :(

Nizz

Omg please tell me Tyrion is not dead :(

That was an unbelievable episode. On the edge of my fucking seat !
I will flip if Tyrion ends up dead :0 From the look of the way his face was sliced I was expecting the top half of his head to slide off. I think he's not dead, he could just be badly wounded.

Episode was incredible. One of the best episodes of a series on tv I've seen as far as scale/budget. So many tense moments: The Hound and Bronn nearly coming to blows, the wildfire explosion, the battle scenes (terrifically gruesome), Tyrion leading the charge.

That was a brilliant tactic to use the wildfire like that. Looked like almost half of Stannis' forces were leveled after the explosion. Tyrion's move to surprise Stannis' army by catching them from behind came off a little awkward to me. But it was awesome hearing them cheering "half man, half man".

I thought Cersei was going to put two and two together regarding Shae. Cersei seemed awfully curious about her and seemed suspicious.

I was very surprised to see Loras Tyrell show up at the end. Tywin coming in looking boss and having blood all over himself in a short amount of time where Joffrey didn't even spill one drop. Tywin for king!

I think I appreciated the battle scenes even more in this episode since in previous episodes battle scenes were more like skirmishes since because of budget restraints they couldn't go full out like in this episode. When a big battle is finally onscreen I appreciate it more.

DKehoe

When Joffrey was being asked to return to safety I actually thought he might stay. Glad he continues to have no redeeming qualities or moments. His death is coming some day and I shall love it.

wildfire

Banned
The Kingsguard who sliced Tyrion is the same one whom Tyrion humiliated in court by threatening him with death via Bronn earlier in the season. Whoever got him to attack Tyrion, if he didn't just decide to on his own, probably didn't need to do much convincing.

That wasn't him. That guy was sent to the wall. That's why the Queen was pissed about Bron taking over his job.

Enosh

bah was rooting for Staniss because I wanted to see Joffrey dead and he is the most badass "king" of all, first one on the ladder like a boss

but i guess Tywin winning the battle is nice too

anyone got the song from the ending?
edit: got it

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just caught up and oh. my. gods. Best GoT episode ever. I'm not kidding, I'm exaggerating. Ever. The decision to dedicate the entire episode to the battle and keep dialogue brisk was absolutely excellent. And the budget. The explosion. The everything.

imager.php

HBO, give every action episode to Neil Marshall, I IMPLORE YOU. I knew he was going to knock this one out of the park, and Neil DELIVERETH.

Random musings:

• Top notch acting by every single actor involved. Lena Headey ate up the camera and went on to show Cersei's psyche (and psychos) like in no other episode before. Haters = owned.
  • Davos. Shit fuck cock. I want to believe he didn't die, but that explosion pretty much vaporised his ship. Fuck this show for killing all my favourite characters. Basically, if you remain honourable and likeable you are done. Sigh. Godspeed, our loyal crabber.
  • The pyromancer. He loved that
    pig
    shit.
  • I feel like Bronn and Sandor were the real heroes of the episode. Well done.
  • Sansa's ladyballs finally dropped. She's still scared and naive, but you can tell she's quietly running out of fucks to give. The way she tried to convince Joffrey (that little shit) to lead the battle and tried to calm the maidens with an hymn showed some real characters. I'm scared that going by next week's preview
    she may get stuck in Kings Landing.
  • HALF MAN. Nuff said. And I'm not worried, there's no way he's dead (but boy, was I scared at first).
  • Loras showing up caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting that at all.
  • I didn't realise that Tyrion's slasher was a member of the kingsguard. I wonder if trying to kill Tyrion was Joffrey or Cersei's idea.
  • Stannis. Oh, Stannis. The way he dispatched his brother was scummy as fuck, but I really like the guy. He is bound by honour and duty, which is basically a death sentence in this show. Loras being around, there's no doubt in my mind this is going to end poorly for him. I will miss his small chats with poor Davos :(

I cannot imagine how the season finale could ever top yesterday's episode. I can only surmise that it will bring some closure to a bunch of arcs (like Stannis) and set others in movement (like Arya, maybe Sansa).

Amazing TV.

Famassu

That wasn't him. That guy was sent to the wall. That's why the Queen was pissed about Bron taking over his job.
The guy they sent to the Wall was Janos Slynt, the previous leader of the Kingsguard. The one who got humiliated by Tyrion at court was Ser Meryn.

Ithil

Basically, as huge and awesome as the battle was here, it's STILL toned down from the scale of the book.

Balehead

Seeing Master Pycelle again reminded me of how we haven't seen any more of his secret. He had a scene where he wasn't "old" at all, but that hasn't been brought up since then.

Cersei questioning Shae was one "saved by the bell" scene too many, they already cancelled one potentially messy thing(Bron fighting Hound) midway through so having more of them in one single episode seemed poor to me. Anything to make the episode more tense I guess...

UrbanRats

Good episode (last one didn't engage me that much) the first half was very good, the second was a bit awkward, due to TV constraints (also, i've watched Kingdom of Heaven yesterday, so the comparison was.. eh) but it still had some interesting characters moments (especially for The Hound).
Also i love that in this series (unless you've read the books, i guess) almost nobody has that strong of a plot armor and almost anyone can die any second, make things tense (like the face off between Hound and Tyrion sidekick; fuck me i can't remember names BRON, thanks Balehead).

Also, who's the motherfucker that slashed Tyrion in the face? Did they have any history together? I think i remember him being a piece of shit, doing dirty work for the King, but nothing concerning Tyrion.

On another note, Joffrey is so one note, goddamnit, i hope he dies quick.
He's evil, sadistic and coward, we fucking get it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wish I knew how to make a decent GIF. The pyromancer's face was hilarious when passing the torch.

Man, was he savouring the moment after Bronn's remarks about selling "pig shit".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Story of two halfs for me:
- Great first half - simply spectacular and amazing.
- Second half was well...pretty bad in places.

Tyrions 'side attack' was awful and then Stannis's men attack (where the fuck were they exactly? surely they'd already be attacking?).
The only thing I can imagine is that most of the army was staying back out of harm's way until the battering ram got through the gate so that they could rush the city.

Amir0x

Banned
I wish I knew how to make a decent GIF. The pyromancer's face was hilarious when passing the torch.

Man, was he savouring the moment after Bronn's remarks about selling "pig shit".

somebody actually already did gif those moments, I'll see if I can find them...

Jonm1010

Banned
The only thing I can imagine is that most of the army was staying back out of harm's way until the battering ram got through the gate so that they could rush the city.

Yeah stannis's position and ability to escape? Was my only hang up on this episode. I know they only have an hour but it left me confused as to where stannis was located and where Tyrion and the rest of his army was located.

Again the guy who sliced Tyrion's face was Ser Meryn. He was the one who fought Syrio, slapped Sansa, and beat her in court before Tyrion arrived to help her. I don't think he attacked Tyrion based off Joffrey's orders, just had his own beef to settle.

Edit: hmmm actually the wiki says its not him but another Kingsguard. I guess that's why it didn't zoom in on his face.

Blader

[*]Davos. Shit fuck cock. I want to believe he didn't die, but that explosion pretty much vaporised his ship. Fuck this show for killing all my favourite characters. Basically, if you remain honourable and likeable you are done. Sigh. Godspeed, our loyal crabber.

He got blasted off the ship though, didn't he? He wasn't actually incinerated by the fire.

Enco

1. Because she expected Stannis to win, as did everyone.
I don't understand why she thought she would be safe.

I'm sure that if you were a 14-16 year old girl and in those circumstances, you'd run off with a character who, for most of the time, has shown to be a bit of a crazy, murderous person (apart from a few instances when he treated Sansa decently) in a situation where there's a huge battle being fought outside.
Pretty sure he saved her life. He also made it clear he was against the king and that he wouldn't hurt her. I would have taken my chances instead of sitting in a room that was about to be attacked by an army.

That being said, taking her home would have taken her to Theon which would be pretty bad also. They should have gone on the run together :lol

Enosh

I cannot imagine how the season finale could ever top yesterday's episode. I can only surmise that it will bring some closure to a bunch of arcs (like Stannis) and set others in movement (like Arya, maybe Sansa)
hah, i really doubt there will be any closure to anything until they get to the last damn book ^^
edit: still hopping Stannis recovers and puts Jofreys head on a spike somewhere

JGS

Banned
He got blasted off the ship though, didn't he? He wasn't actually incinerated by the fire.
That was only the first part of it. After being blasted off the ship his ship vaporized. That kind of heat would vaporize him too.

The scene will be deminished for me if he lives and I like him.

That was only the first part of it. After being blasted off the ship his ship vaporized. That kind of heat would vaporize him too.

The scene will be deminished for me if he lives and I like him.

I think he yet lives. There were still many alive soldiers left in the waters after the explosion. Davos is probably beat up badly but alive. His son however is gone.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

His entire vessel was blown to shit and the water covered with a shiny film of wildfire. I mean, he could have survived that going with TV physics (and I still keep that hope alive, as foolish as it is) but I mean...

iAeQ2KJ7L5Azh.gif

DAMN.

Does anybody know if there are fridges in Westeros?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Does anybody know if there are fridges in Westeros?

The wall is just a giant fridge. (spoilers)

The guy they sent to the Wall was Janos Slynt, the previous leader of the Kingsguard. The one who got humiliated by Tyrion at court was Ser Meryn.

No Barristan was the head of the Kingsguard that was sent away (old man in season one who threw down his cloak/sword and basically called them all bitches). Then they named the hound a member of the Kingsguard.

Janos Slynt was the commander of the city watch aka the gold cloaks, Bronn took HIS place when Tyrion sent him to the Wall.

Amir0x

Banned
man everytime I see that part of the gif where Davos ship literally disintegrates as the blast consumes it, I cannot believe that's from a tv show. Holy fuck.

I am pretty sure that is the best bit of tv CG ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom