• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Love his face.

tumblr_m4pu0gRCOd1qa5csdo1_500.gif

That part was awesome, they were like "weve lost most of our ships and men we can't go ashore!" And Stannis was like "see how many fucks I give"

Pezking

I forgot to say that Tyrion's fireworks are actually grounded in history. The Dutch pioneered the use of massive, floating bombs with the first Hellburners, which caused tremendous damage to the Spanish fleet.

It's even older: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

It burned on water, and, according to some interpretations, was ignited by water. In addition, as numerous writers testify, it could be extinguished only by a few substances, such as sand (which deprived it of oxygen), strong vinegar, or old urine, presumably by some sort of chemical reaction.[35][36][37]
It was a liquid substance, and not some sort of projectile, as verified both by descriptions and the very name "liquid fire".[35][36]
At sea, it was usually ejected from siphons,[35][36] although earthenware pots or grenades filled with it or similar substances were also used.[38]
The discharge of Greek fire was accompanied by "thunder" and "much smoke".[35][36][39]

Edit: Ah, beaten.

Balehead

Would add a lot of credibility to the show if Davos was killed just like that I think. Instead of a scene dedicated to his death with songs and shit he just got blown up in a second with hundreds of others.

Cake Boss

Banned
The finale would probably end the same way it ended in Season 1 with dragons, this time they escaped and somewhat grown and have started burning the city down.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The finale would probably end the same way it ended in Season 1 with dragons, this time they escaped and somewhat grown and have started burning the city down.

The OST spoils the surprise, I believe. So if you see it over Amazon or anywhere else, try not to look at the track names.

Violet_0

Banned
Would add a lot of credibility to the show if Davos was killed just like that I think. Instead of a scene dedicated to his death with songs and shit he just got blown up in a second with hundreds of others.

Davos is way too cool to die just like that. Okay, Ned Stark was an exception of the rule - but then again, he was played by Sean Bean

the gif at the bottom of p71 clearly shows how he's blasted off the ship. If he really was supposed to die in that explosion, it wouldn't have been done so ambiguous

zethren

Banned

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was now just gone forever. I can't see how he would survive, anyway. All of that wildfire around him and all.

Klocker

My guess is that Cerci put out a hit on Tyrion. Remember also that the Hound was intent on killing Bronn, so the plan might have been to kill Tyrion's body guard in a supposed bar fight before the battle and then kill Tyrion during the chaos of the siege.

agreed

KarmaCow

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he was now just gone forever. I can't see how he would survive, anyway. All of that wildfire around him and all.

They showed him getting blown off the ship rather than getting obliterated like his son. I can see him surviving by being underwater as the explosion passes over him or something stupid like that.

Amir0x

Banned
BTW, can somebody explain me the beef between The Hound and Bronn?

Honestly I'm not sure myself, that's all new to me. The way I interpret it, I'm guessing The Hound felt it was extremely fake for Bronn to try to 'soak in life' at this moment as if that's what he was fighting for, when what he was fighting for was really the thrill of the kill. The Hound understands that power in this world is about who can kill someone else, and that fundamentally most of these people enjoy it deep down. The Hound wears that on his sleeve and thus finds difficulty enjoying himself casually in a brothel or whatever, because he can't relate to everyone else.

and he won't shut up about how awesome it is to just kill shit.

and he disemboweled a man right in front of Sansa.

and he disemboweled a man right in front of Sansa.

With his hand! That was the best. The Hound is a much better character now that a) he's no-one's bitch any more, b) is probably gonna be wanted as a traitor, and c) has established character details, even they are "is scared of fire" and "falls for pretty girls easily".

defel

I just got the feeling that the Hound was sick of everything, had enough playing stupid war games. Just in that moment Bronn was in the directly opposite emotional state, restless and hungry for war and for action. I suppose the polarity between them is what drew the animosity out of the hound. In the same way as when your upset, you want everyone around you to be upset too. The idea that other people should be feeling something different to you can be frustrating.

Jonm1010

Banned
I hope he gets to see another day. Sadly, most of his troops are either dead or captured, so I can't see him regaining his power in any way, and that's assuming he gets to haul ass out of Kings Landing before Loras extracts his revenge.

Fake edit: Unless he manages to reach Melissandre... HHHMMMMM.

The more I think about this seems like the logical progression for his character. I think that defeat is the one thing that will push him over the edge into embracing Melisandre fully.

I don't see him ever joining with Robb and I certainly don't see him tucking his tail and running.

Melisandre has a crazy religion people seem to swallow and that can be a powerful motivational tool in ones arsenal. Though it would seem like stannis might now be on the wrong end of a numbers game so n,ess Melisandre has an army of shadow babies in between her legs I'm not sure how they ever grow their forces again properly.

Violet_0

Banned
Though it would seem like stannis might now be on the wrong end of a numbers game so n,ess Melisandre has an army of shadow babies in between her legs I'm not sure how they ever grow their forces again properly.

hah, back to plan B then - make more shadow babies

woober

I think he might be ok. His son got nailed and is definitely dead, but im not so sure about good ol' davos.

On the other hand if he did die, and Stannis escaped and still lives. Well i can see Stannis returning except less honourable, and using melisandre's dirty magic to do some kind of damage.

Can you imagine if both Stannis and Davos somehow escape alive? Stannis would beat the shit out of Davos for making him not bring Melisandre along.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Poor Davos better keep the fishes company...

Edit: Melissandre is a fire priest, but I have to wonder about the extent of her abilities. I mean, it would take one hell of a rough fuck* to stop a fire bombing like the one that devastated Stannis fleet.

*I'd gladly make the effort, rotten vag or not.

Zeliard

Does he even know about the vag demon?

Doesn't seem like it but he knows Melisandre has superpowers of some sort. The only reason he left her behind is that he didn't want to be viewed as her puppet.

He and Melisandre need to have a chat, and more sex.

I did realize that the hound gave us this season second reference to raping someone's corpse.

"Any man dies with a clean sword, I'll rape his fucking corpse."

zethren

Banned
Does he even know about the vag demon?

I don't think he does, no. I think only Davos does, as well is Catelyn and Breanne (sp?), though obviously they don't really know what the hell it was.

I feel like he's definitely going to learn about it soon, though. I'm with everyone on saying that Melisandre is gonna get all "well, you should have brought me along. Now trust me and all will be yours.", and he will fall to the temptation of using her dark powers fully. I doubt Stannis takes defeat very well, at all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not sure if we should take Stannis escape as warranted.

Edit: That said, he's the last Baratheon standing (I'm just ignoring Joffrey for obvious reasons).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced there has never been a CGI effect of that scale and authenticity in any other TV show. I've seen worse effects in more expensive films.

I literally thought to myself "holy shit this is television?".

f0lken

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced there has never been a CGI effect of that scale and authenticity in any other TV show. I've seen worse effects in more expensive films.

I literally thought to myself "holy shit this is television?".

Its not television, its HBO®

zethren

Banned
tumblr_m4qx4qKL5Q1qzzbzo.jpg

*_______________*

Yeah, this episode made me like Sansa a lot more than I used to. For the longest time I couldn't stand her, but I realized that that is kind of what her character is. She was young, star struck, foolish and didn't know what the world was really like. We're seeing a fascinating transition into adulthood for her.

JerkShep

His entire vessel was blown to shit and the water covered with a shiny film of wildfire. I mean, he could have survived that going with TV physics (and I still keep that hope alive, as foolish as it is) but I mean...

iAeQ2KJ7L5Azh.gif

DAMN.

Does anybody know if there are fridges in Westeros?

Someone needs to do to this with a blue explosion and a red one. Mass Effect style.

JGS

Banned
Now that I think about, I'm surprised that Stannis didn't use that shadow human thing to help him fight the Lannisters.
Although the show didn't say I always assumed it was a one shot type of thing. It seemed like it was born for a specific purpose.

Once it shot out of her it went straight to Renly. I don't remember where it went afterward.

Amir0x

Banned
i've watched that wildfire gif like twenty times now and I just can't stop being impressed. The atom bomb at the end, the evisceration of Davos ship with an unflinching shot of him flying back from it, the way the concussion from the blast initially blows back all the sails on the ships surrounding it before the fire consumes them

i think i'm in love with this cg effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom