• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
man everytime I see that part of the gif where Davos ship literally disintegrates as the blast consumes it, I cannot believe that's from a tv show. Holy fuck.

I am pretty sure that is the best bit of tv CG ever.

I can't help but to remind other TV assplossions.

Wj8wJ.jpg
cMRzS.jpg

I say money well spent.

big ander

One more reminder on the spoiler rules. As always, it's best if book readers post in the other thread. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, looking back through the past few pages or so...it's kind of annoying. I'm all for book readers vicariously enjoying our reactions, but maybe don't post and give hints and offer PMs and fake predict? There are already resources in the OP of who to ask if you have a spoilery question.

I was convinced throughout this episode that someone's 'prediction' last week (Joffrey's men will pin Stannis down while he gives him 'a red smile') was going to come true, and was perpetually on edge as Stannis climbed the wall and kicked ass (seriously, he's fucking awesome)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was convinced throughout this episode that someone's 'prediction' last week (Joffrey's men will pin Stannis down while he gives him 'a red smile') was going to come true, and was perpetually on edge as Stannis climbed the wall and kicked ass (seriously, he's fucking awesome)

tumblr_m4qiw6knTN1rw40gyo1_400.gif

He was dropping fools with commendable efficiency. Stannis is no punk ass nobleman. Joffrey would be so fucked in fair combat against him.

Davos will survive because of movie logic. He was "blown clear of the explosion". I would be shocked if he's dead.

Cersei probably didn't put the hit out on Tyrion. She wouldn't want to kill Tyrion in the middle of battle as that would leave her son without guidance, and increase his chances of being killed.

That's why she had Joffrey brought back inside before the real fighting began.

So Stannis' people dragged him away as his men fled, but was he not over the wall by that point? How does he escape? And what do non-book readers (Amir0x, I appreciate your ability to be discreet throughout this thread, but please don't respond to this bit of my post :p) think his future role is? Ally with Robb, or flee and never factor into the main story again?

He probably won't ally with Rob, but he can attack the Lannisters from the south while Rob is attacking them from the north. The Lannisters have more men thanks to the Tyrells, but the they're still fighting a war on two fronts.

Yeah stannis's position and ability to escape? Was my only hang up on this episode. I know they only have an hour but it left me confused as to where stannis was located and where Tyrion and the rest of his army was located.

That bothered me too. When Stannis went over the wall, I was expecting Tyrion to notice. In fairness to GoT though, movies in general are not very good at establishing geography in big battle scenes.

man everytime I see that part of the gif where Davos ship literally disintegrates as the blast consumes it, I cannot believe that's from a tv show. Holy fuck.

I am pretty sure that is the best bit of tv CG ever.

I'd have to go back and check the Galactica jump in the "Exodus" two-parter, which was the previous champ for me. This is probably better, technically. (Probably a lot better.) But that was just the baddest-ass thing I had ever seen.

Also, cute little tease in the original Season Two announcement right after the Season One finale, for non-book-readers who didn't know where this season was going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RbYhCfAZc

Hazanko

Banned
I've done a recording of that song. I'll put it on later I don't have good recording equipment. I'm using that ps3 recorder programme lol. Plus I deffo don't sound as good as I thought haha. I'll post it anyway, should be interesting.

Oh, props to Tyrion's assistant too. For such a gasp moment to be followed with a cheer that his attacker was speared through the chest like a boss from an unlikely source... if Tyrion does live... that boy won't have to worry about anything else ever again.

Famassu

No Barristan was the head of the Kingsguard that was sent away (old man in season one who threw down his cloak/sword and basically called them all bitches). Then they named the hound a member of the Kingsguard.

Janos Slynt was the commander of the city watch aka the gold cloaks, Bronn took HIS place when Tyrion sent him to the Wall.
Ah, yeah, I kind of mixed the Gold Cloaks & the Kingsguard. Janos Slynt was, indeed, the commander of the Gold Cloaks. But otherwise I was still right, it was Slynt who was sent to the Wall and Meryn is the one who got humiliated & threatened by Tyrion at court.

Though, Barristan wasn't "sent away", he was dismissed as the leader of the Kingsguard and offered some small castle or something, but he didn't take that offer and left somewhere instead.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oh, props to Tyrion's assistant too. For such a gasp moment to be followed with a cheer that his attacker was speared through the chest like a boss from an unlikely source... if Tyrion does live... that boy won't have to worry about anything else ever again.
It was through is face.

Amir0x

Banned
I've done a recording of that song. I'll put it on later I don't have good recording equipment. I'm using that ps3 recorder programme lol. Plus I deffo don't sound as good as I thought haha. I'll post it anyway, should be interesting.

Haha, awesome. Can't wait to hear it

I can't help but to remind other TV assplossions.

Wj8wJ.jpg
cMRzS.jpg

I say money well spent.

The Walking Dead explosion is the gold standard for how horrible tv explosions can be. Fuck me, the comparison between the two just makes Walking Dead seem even worse somehow.

I'd have to go back and check the Galactica jump in the "Exodus" two-parter, which was the previous champ for me. This is probably better, technically. (Probably a lot better.) But that was just the baddest-ass thing I had ever seen.

That Battlestar Galactica jump remains the only thing from the show I can still look back on positively without season 4 and its ending corrupting the moment. Watching it still makes me go 'goddamn', it's such an awesome bit of action

JB1981

The guy who plans the Hound is one of the more physically imposing actors I've seen onscreen in a long time. I feared for Bronn during their exchange. Don't think he'd do too favorably against him

Amir0x

Banned
The guy who plans the Hound is one of the more physically imposing actors I've seen onscreen in a long time. I feared for Bronn during their exchange. Don't think he'd do too favorably against him

The original actor who played The Mountain was even more imposing than him. Wish he hadn't cut out on the show...

Davos was an old seadog, he should have known that was a fireship creeping towards him.

And fuck me i've seen big budget films with worse battlescenes, show redeemed itself from all the cheap ass "fade to black" bullshit they pulled earlier.

Emwitus

Hey gaf. About to watch this episode, but i'm hesitant to do it in the living room. Are their any nude/Nsfw scenes in it? LOL. Serious question lol

Cyan

Banned
Cersei probably didn't put the hit out on Tyrion. She wouldn't want to kill Tyrion in the middle of battle as that would leave her son without guidance, and increase his chances of being killed.
Also, mutual dislike aside, he's a Lannister. Which counts for a lot. There's no way she puts a hit on him. Try to take from him what he loves? Sure. But not kill him.

No, this whole thing smacks of the Joff. Plus it was apparently his dirty-work man who did it. Seems like he was tired of getting slapped and condescended to.

I love Stannis and I hope this isn't the last we see of him. Really hope he was able to escape somehow.

I thought he'd gotten captured in the end, but apparently that was his own men pulling him away? I dunno, there was a lot I missed this episode I guess.

Sung by The National

Ohhh. Awesome.

Violet_0

Banned
It was Stannis' men pulling him away, the fight was over and Stannis didn't want to give up.

he was standing on the city wall though (and seemingly alone as well), hence my confusion

will be interesting to see how he escaped (probably the same way Catelyn and Brienne slipped out of the camp unnoticed :p)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm kind of starting to like the Lannisters. Am I supposed to ?

I didn't want to see them overrun. Aside from Tyrion, they're loathsome people, but fuck me if they're not great characters. The show wouldn't be the same without Cersei and Joffrey.

Amir0x

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FobZxZHi7gc&feature=youtu.be

I gave it a go lol. It's awful but what the hell.

Aw, it's set to private so I can't view it :(

Edit: Go to Video Manager in your settings, scroll down to this video you uploaded, and click "Public" instead of "Private"

No, this whole thing smacks of the Joff. Plus it was apparently his dirty-work man who did it. Seems like he was tired of getting slapped and condescended to.

I actually was amused at how much of a pussy Joffrey turned into during this episode. Only thing missing was him literally pissing his pants.

"Oh god there's too many of them!" Wah wah, Joffrey, suck it up.

I forgot to say that Tyrion's fireworks are actually grounded in history. The Dutch pioneered the use of massive, floating bombs with the first Hellburners, which caused tremendous damage to the Spanish fleet.

The english and dutch made extensive use of them, going toe to toe against a spanish crescent formation was usually a good way of getting your ass reamed.

Fire ships to break up the formation, lighter vessels to pepper and harass the bigger, slower, lumbering spanish galleons from a distance.

Cyan

Banned
I actually was amused at how much of a pussy Joffrey turned into during this episode. Only thing missing was him literally pissing his pants.

"Oh god there's too many of them!" Wah wah, Joffrey, suck it up.

"Did my mom say she needed me urgently?" "No." "Uh... I'm leaving!"

The worst of the kings, for serious. Robb, Stannis, Renly, none of them would flee the walls in that situation. Hell, Dany wouldn't either.

Amir0x

Banned
I forgot to say that Tyrion's fireworks are actually grounded in history. The Dutch pioneered the use of massive, floating bombs with the first Hellburners, which caused tremendous damage to the Spanish fleet.

The english and dutch made extensive use of them, going toe to toe against a spanish crescent formation was usually a good way of getting your ass reamed.

Fire ships to break up the formation, lighter vessels to pepper and harass the bigger, slower, lumbering spanish galleons from a distance.

Yeah. But even more interestingly, the WILD FIRE itself is based on history. It's based on GREEK FIRE, a substance that was said to be lit by water itself and would burn everything in sight, being nearly impossible to put out (only things like pouring sand on it was said to do the deed). This greek fire was used in naval battles and other sources.

The actual ingredients to Greek Fire were such a well guarded secret that to this day scholars debate about what it was made out of.

Hazanko said:
I think this link should work.

http://youtu.be/FobZxZHi7gc

Hehe, cool. I will take it and see if I can edit in the background music accompaniment. Slightly off tune, but I can see why someone might say how you sound like a slightly less deep-voiced National.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Love his face.

tumblr_m4pu0gRCOd1qa5csdo1_500.gif

I hope he gets to see another day. Sadly, most of his troops are either dead or captured, so I can't see him regaining his power in any way, and that's assuming he gets to haul ass out of Kings Landing before Loras extracts his revenge.

Fake edit: Unless he manages to reach Melissandre... HHHMMMMM.

Famassu

Pretty sure he saved her life. He also made it clear he was against the king and that he wouldn't hurt her. I would have taken my chances instead of sitting in a room that was about to be attacked by an army.
He saved her life, sure, but he saved it by cutting open the belly of one of her would-be-rapers and, what, slitting the throat of another right in front of her. And then, later on, when she met him and tried to thank him, he told how much he likes killing (+ he looks really scary with that burnt face), not to even mention some of the interaction/events between them during the first season (mercilessly killing the butcher's boy). Again, if you were a teenage girl in the same situation, you would've been too scared to leave with him (especially if you were like Sansa and were raised to be a little princess).

Davos was an old seadog, he should have known that was a fireship creeping towards him.
Davos has had zero experience of naval warfare (he was a smuggler) and wildfire hasn't been used in Westeros since, like, forever. Not sure why he should have known anything.

His entire vessel was blown to shit and the water covered with a shiny film of wildfire. I mean, he could have survived that going with TV physics (and I still keep that hope alive, as foolish as it is) but I mean...

I think he might be ok. His son got nailed and is definitely dead, but im not so sure about good ol' davos.

On the other hand if he did die, and Stannis escaped and still lives. Well i can see Stannis returning except less honourable, and using melisandre's dirty magic to do some kind of damage.

Hazanko

Banned
Yeah. But even more interestingly, the WILD FIRE itself is based on history. It's based on GREEK FIRE, a substance that was said to be lit by water itself and would burn everything in sight, being nearly impossible to put out (only things like pouring sand on it was said to do the deed). This greek fire was used in naval battles and other sources.

The actual ingredients to Greek Fire were such a well guarded secret that to this day scholars debate about what it was made out of.

Hehe, cool. I will take it and see if I can edit in the background music accompaniment. Slightly off tune, but I can see why someone might say how you sound like a slightly less deep-voiced National.

Yeah I don't sound as low, and yeah it's probably off tune. I did it without the tune so just did it from memory. Recording on ps3 was a pain so couldn't sing with the tune.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I don't sound as low, and yeah it's probably off tune. I did it without the tune so just did it from memory. Recording on ps3 was a pain so couldn't sing with the tune.

it's cool, i'm really glad you did it. Do you sing for a living or as a hobby or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom