• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

They're not giving 10 or 12 episodes to the next book, but 20. That problem is as fixed as it can be in a TV series.

Maybe he's suggesting it'll be longer?

On one hand, they are probably getting more money than ever before which could make things move quicker...

On the other, they have higher expectations and more ridiculous scenes in the upcoming seasons that is going to take a lot of time and money.

Al-ibn Kermit

wait what?

(it's been heavily implied so I'm not sure if it's a spoiler or if it's true)

Peter Baeylish got Tywin and Margaery Tyrell to agree to a marriage between Margaery and Joffrey. The reasoning was that the Tyrell's have the most fertile lands and so they would be the most anxious to return home and harvest their crops, and Margaery wanted more than anything to be THE queen of Westeros. So that arrangement made sense for the Tyrells and definitely made sense for the Lannisters.

I thought Brienne said 'it's a long way to King's landing'. It seems like that's where they are going.

Maybe, maybe not. The last we see of them, they're getting onto a boat and I think Brienne was making sure the coast was clear and trying not to draw attention. It would make sense that if they came upon a random Lannister patrol, Brienne would become the prisoner.

Shawsie64

Banned
Do you guys think i'll be ok to read the next book in the series as soon as season 2 is over? Or is there too much unexplained by the TV show to understand the next book?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh, so it's not a monetary issue? Or at the very least it's not their only restraint? That's a damn shame. But oh well quality over quantity I guess.
wait what?
Spoilered since some people were surprisingly unaware.

The Tyrells came in help of the Lannisters during the battle. It is safe to assume that Littlefinger brokered some deal with them so Margaery finally becomes the Queen by marrying King Douchebag.

They are filthy rich, own the most fertile lands and have a very sizeable army, whereas the sole benefit of marrying Sansa is... the North.

So yeah, Sansa should run far and fast from King's Landing.

Do you guys think i'll be ok to read the next book in the series as soon as season 2 is over? Or is there too much unexplained by the TV show to understand the next book?

I did this after the first season.

I was definitely a little bit lost, but you should fare better if you're super well versed on the show. I actually didn't know who Theon was when reading the second book, because he wasn't at all important in the first season of the show, and a lot of things went right over my head. By the third book I was all good though.

Read the entire series, Season One is pretty faithful to Game Of Thrones but still had to cut a lot out, and Season Two has some significant divergences.

Zeliard

It's really probably best to start from the beginning. The show can't possibly hope to cover everything in the books. They probably did a better job with the first book since it's more straightforward, but there are so many sub-plots in Season 2 that you'll probably be a bit lost jumping straight into the third.

Gregorn

A lot of stuff was cut from Clash of Kings that isn't in the show, so you might be quite lost.

Just start from the start.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Incredible episode.

• Most lines are already classics.
  • There's a whole lot of character development
  • The tight focus makes the episode easy to follow (with the exception of the battle, but I rarely see shows and movies where you get a clear sense of what's happening in a battle and where)
  • The Castamere song is beautifully somber
  • Some scenes just look great, such as the wildfire explosion and Cersei and Tommen sitting in the dark on the iron throne

Okay, maybe the gore is overdone (never been a fan of gore, though I don't mind it). And the scene where Tyrion gets struck by a Kingsguard is a bit awkward: he's visibly not killed because scars on a cheek don't kill you, but he reacts as if life was just leaving him. I suppose they're going for suspense, but it wasn't executed all that well anyway.

Can't wait for episode 10 (even if I know what happens as a book reader), especially now that we know it's going to be 60-70 minutes long, but at the same time I'm worried they can't top Blackwater.

Still, dat explosion. I don't care much for action flicks, and explosions have never done much for me, but this explosion just looks -- and sounds -- great. The thing is, explosions aren't impressive when they're numerous in a modern-day setting, but make them green and huge in a universe that is 1) mostly devoid of magic and 2) medieval, meaning things don't usually get more destructive or impressive than cannonballs, and suddenly explosions are a much bigger deal. To all those Lannister and Baratheon men, this is pretty much the most awe-inspiring thing they'll ever see in their lives.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uh, going from Littlefinger making an expression to the detailed spoiler that was just posted is kind of a leap.

Is it?

I haven't read the book, yet I saw it clearly.

And the scene where Tyrion gets struck by a Kingsguard is a bit awkward: he's visibly not killed because scars on a cheek don't kill you, but he reacts as if life was just leaving him. I suppose they're going for suspense, but it wasn't executed all that well anyway.
His entire face was slashed. Not being a warrior, I think he shat himself. The cuts seemed pretty deep, too. I wouldn't be surprised if his skull got a nice scratch.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Still, dat explosion. I don't care much for action flicks, and explosions have never done much for me, but this explosion just looks -- and sounds -- great. The thing is, explosions aren't impressive when they're numerous in a modern-day setting, but make them green and huge in a universe that is 1) mostly devoid of magic and 2) medieval, meaning things don't usually get more destructive or impressive than cannonballs, and suddenly explosions are a much bigger deal. To all those Lannister and Baratheon men, this is pretty much the most awe-inspiring thing they'll ever see in their lives.

Yeah. You could basically interpret it as their version of a nuclear explosion.

Al-ibn Kermit

It was pretty much implied. Like, crystal clear.

"I want to be The Queen"

*Littlefinger twirls his invisible mustache*

At first, I was thinking that maybe Littlefinger was going to double cross the Lannisters and work for the Tyrells because that's just who he is. But once it was known that the Tyrell's were going to back up the Lannisters, it became pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
At first, I was thinking that maybe Littlefinger was going to double cross the Lannisters and work for the Tyrells because that's just who he is. But once it was known that the Tyrell's were going to back up the Lannisters, it became pretty obvious what was going to happen.

I knew he was planning something. Then Loras came up in the last moment riding along papa Lannister.

Seriously, you only have to connect the dots.

Speevy

Banned
How on earth would anything be super-obvious when one of the most backstabbing characters in the show is in the tent of someone who (for all a TV watcher knows) has nothing to do with Joffrey.

You may think this comes across, but it doesn't.

Even things you've seen can be forgotten. I completely forgot about who Walder Frey was, for example.

LProtag

Who was it that hit Tyrion anyway, cuz he wasn't very good at minding his back.

Ser Mandon Moore, a member of the kingsguard that Joffrey told to represent the king on the battlefield.

I'm assuming he didn't think anyone on his side would do anything because they wouldn't notice during the battle or wouldn't think of attacking the kingsguard. Not Pod though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah. You could basically interpret it as their version of a nuclear explosion.

Nice way of putting it, but it's even worse than that: by now everyone knows about nuclear bombs, what they do and what they look like, but how many people in Westeros know of wildfire? Of those who know about it, how many believe in it? Apparently not all of them, judging by Bronn's and Tyrion's reactions when they're first told about wildfire by the pyromancer ("Pig shit!").

Such an awesome show, that episode was amazing.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it but Game of Thrones is like, I'm completely absorbed for an hour or whatever it is while watching. Can't get distracted by anything. I just sit there until the credits hit then I snap out like woah.

So good.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_m4r3xtmuii1rr2hg7o1_500.png

Massa

"I pray for your safe return, my lord."
"Will you?"
"Just as I pray for the king’s."

Seemed to me Sansa was just trolling Tyrion but some people think the first line was honest. Thoughts?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Nice way of putting it, but it's even worse than that: by now everyone knows about nuclear bombs, what they do and what they look like, but how many people in Westeros know of wildfire? Of those who know about it, how many believe in it? Apparently not all of them, judging by Bronn's and Tyrion's reactions when they're first told about wildfire by the pyromancer ("Pig shit!").

Well, I was thinking more in the context of nukes circa the 1940's.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I loved how the colour filters and shot of Cersei and Tommen sitting on the throne made it look cold, hard and empty. Like a completely pointless, trivial lump of metal in a dark, gloomy room that everybody still obsesses over. A nice contrast to the war outside.

TCRS

Banned
Looked like she was being honest. Didn't Tyrion save her from a beating in one of the early episodes? In the throne room.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"Will you?"

Seemed to me Sansa was just trolling Tyrion but some people think the first line was honest. Thoughts?

Yeah, I think she was being sincere. Then again, you can see her rage is slowly simmering...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bronn's arrow shot was some straight g shit and the explosion and following fight are the exact moment where tv crossed over into a truly cinematic experience on a large scale. The only thing that felt cheap was Tyrion coming around and fucking them in the ass, but even that was followed with a huge army coming from nowhere.easily the best episode of the series and worth every penny.

Cersei's dialogue was noticeably blunt and annoying though, she can fuck off and die any day now.

So I guess Stannis got away some how? The show was weridly unspecific about his and Davos' fate.

CLEEK

"Will you?"

Over the run of this season, Sansa has become far more adept at backhanded insults like that. Tyrion clocked her real meaning, and gave a wry smile about it.

Massa

I don't think Sansa knows about that.

Right, but he was very nice to her when the Hound brought her back.

So I guess Stannis got away some how? The show was weridly unspecific about his and Davos' fate.

His own men dragged him away, guess we'll find out if they escaped next episode.

Over the run of this season, Sansa has become far more adept at backhanded insults like that. Tyrion clocked her real meaning, and gave a wry smile about it.

That's how I saw it too. I also love how she brings up Robb to Joffrey all the time, it clearly pisses him that Robb is the kind of man he wishes he was.

CLEEK

His own men dragged him away, guess we'll find out if they escaped next episode.

One of two outcomes. Either Stannis will manage to escape and hook up with Witch-tits again, or we'll see his head on a spike.

He was awesome in this episode. His prior appearances had done enough to flesh out his character. It's not like he's another Littlefinger or Varys and is ambiguous in motives. He just showed off a new side this week, in being bad ass and leading at the front. I genuinely. though he was knocking at the doors of the throne room at the end

Zeliard

"Will you?"

She was mocking him since he wants her to be political in her dealings with Joffrey.

Violet_0

Banned
Cersei's dialogue was noticeably blunt and annoying though, she can fuck off and die any day now.

I'm actually beginning to like Cersei now, it's just her blind hatred for Tyrion that I still find rather odd.

House Lannister > Starks (bunch of idealistic, naive fools - poor Aryia was born into the wrong family), you heard it here first. Joffrey can still die in a fire though.

CLEEK

I'm actually beginning like Cersei now, it's just her blind hatred for Tyrion that I still find rather odd.

Aside from Tyrion sending her daughter away and putting Joffrey in the line of fire, I think her hatred has grown due to her losing power - Joffrey doing his own thing without consulting her - and Tyrion gaining it by being the acting Hand. I'd also imagine she resents him, not just for destroying their mother from the cunt up on exit, but also that he is alive and well where as Jamie is captive / maybe dead.

spirity

Tyrion and Sansa are vocalising what amounts to a knowing wink between themselves. They both know more than they'd ever let on to others.

"You might outlive us all yet, Lady Sansa" Or was it survive us all.. can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom