• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not giving 10 or 12 episodes to the next book, but 20. That problem is as fixed as it can be in a TV series.

YES, 20 hours worth of Storm of Swords! Mark my words you will never see TV as badass as the next two seasons of GoT are going to be ever again.

big ander

Great to see the active discussion in this thread.

One more refresh on the spoiler rules. Please use the other thread if you're a book reader. Thanks.

It seems like book readers are staying in here anyway. Which sort of sucks. For every one book reader being awesome about what's happened in the show so far, there's one posting stuff that hasn't been revealed yet. And even under spoiler tags that's not supposed to happen in this thread.

BigDug13

It seems like book readers are staying in here anyway. Which sort of sucks. For every one book reader being awesome about what's happened in the show so far, there's one posting stuff that hasn't been revealed yet. And even under spoiler tags that's not supposed to happen in this thread.

Yeah, I'm going to avoid this thread from now on. Shame, I thought it would be safe enough.

Zeliard

I'm actually beginning like Cersei now, it's just her blind hatred for Tyrion that I still find rather odd.

House Lannister > Starks (bunch of idealistic, naive fools - poor Aryia was born into the wrong family), you heard it here first. Joffrey can still die in a fire though.

Joffrey alone sinks the entire Lannister house.

And let's not forget about Jaime attempting to kill and ultimately crippling a young child and Cercei being complicit in the cover-up, and neither being particularly remorseful about it. Jaime also murders one of his cousins in a futile attempt at escape. Tsk tsk. Cercei's become a fun character to watch but her only redeeming aspect is that she realizes and admits how awful Joffrey truly is.

Tyrion is obviously cool peoples and Tywin has his positive qualities, though as the Arya scenes showed, he isn't particularly against murdering scores of innocents.

House Stark may be naive and comically inept at politics, but I'll take them over wealthy pricks. :p

Is there a source for this? Not doubting you, just missed this info (and Wikipedia says it's 10).

It's still 10 per season. It's just that the next book is going to be covered in two seasons, making it effectively 20 episodes.

Speevy

Banned
Here's a question about the show as it has been presented so far.

Why do the Lannisters want Joffrey on the Iron Throne at all? Clearly just about anyone else would be better.

Before you say "Well he was Robert's son." well he's not, but more to the point, the Lannisters don't care who has a right to the throne. Cercei ripped up Robert's order right in front of the whole council.

Put a cheese sandwich on the throne.

LProtag

Why do the Lannisters want Joffrey on the Iron Throne at all? Clearly just about anyone else would be better.

Before you say "Well he was Robert's son." well he's not, but more to the point, the Lannisters don't care who has a right to the throne. Cercei ripped up Robert's order right in front of the whole council.

The people do (somewhat). More importantly, the lords care. The lords with massive amounts of bannermen that can, as we have seen, easily start to rebel.

Martin wrote on his blog that season three is another 10-episode order, but HBO refuses to confirm. The author also notes he’ll pen the seventh episode, tentatively titled “Autumn Storms

is next seasons Autumn Storms episode bigger than Blackwater? im guessing it is as he chose to write that episode

Al-ibn Kermit

^It probably just means it's a super-important episode for the season. Needs proper handling to get all the plot translated well.

Last season, Martin wrote the eight episode and there were no battles in that.

And let's not forget about Jaime attempting to kill and ultimately crippling a young child and Cercei being complicit in the cover-up, and neither being particularly remorseful about it. Jaime also murders one of his cousins in a futile attempt at escape. Tsk tsk. Cercei's become a fun character to watch but her only redeeming aspect is that she realizes and admits how awful Joffrey truly is.

Tyrion is obviously cool peoples and Tywin has his positive qualities, though as the Arya scenes showed, he isn't particularly against murdering scores of innocents.

Cersei doesn't care about anybody besides her own children. She let Jaime try to kill a child and she let Joffrey kill several. Tywin is the type of person who will order entire villages to be slaughtered for retribution after what he thought was an assassination attempt on himself a couple episodes ago. Even when Tyrion, the "lowest Lannister", was taken prisoner by Catelyn, he ordered villages to be slaughtered by Ser Gregor Clegane.

Only Tyrion really makes the effort to not be a dick. You have to believe it was because he was born a dwarf, he just never believed he could get power. And so he never became power-hungry. It makes me worried about how he'll be in the future as he is now both the Hand of the King and also a war hero basically.

Martin wrote on his blog that season three is another 10-episode order, but HBO refuses to confirm. The author also notes he’ll pen the seventh episode, tentatively titled “Autumn Storms.”

is next seasons Autumn Storms episode bigger than Blackwater? im guessing it is as he chose to write that episode

He wrote "The Pointy End' last season, which was a very good episode but not a climactic one. I think he just picks whichever episode particularly interests him.

Martin wrote on his blog that season three is another 10-episode order, but HBO refuses to confirm. The author also notes he’ll pen the seventh episode, tentatively titled “Autumn Storms.”

Just saying that Martin wrote "The Pointy End" last season, which was mostly a quiet prelude to "Baelor," so him writing the episode isn't really an indication one way or the other.

Edit: Beaten like Sansa.

Violet_0

Banned

House Stark may be naive and comically inept at politics, but I'll take them over wealthy pricks. :p

true, the Lannisters are for the most part ruthless and scheming and altogether not the nicest people in Westeros, but I'll take almost every single of them over the bland, one-dimensional Stark children and their mother. It's painfully obvious that they're the 'good' guys and that we're supposed be cheering for these characters, and maybe that's exactly the reason why I don't really like any of them (besides Arya of course). Especially not Jon. No one likes Jon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Queens don't have the authority of Kings. It's a man's world. And as long as the Baratheon bloodline sits on the throne, the Baratheon's will be closest to royalty. Robert out of the picture leaves Cercei with her pure Lannister son Joffrey with a grip on the throne, tightened further as more Lannisters get involved in royal business.

It's all a power play about ensuring legacy and strength of a bloodline.

Joffrey gives the Lannisters control of affairs in King's Landing and his pretension of being a Baratheon gives them a legitimate claim to the throne. That claim is important in a feudal society where you have to gain allies and support from other lords. This is especially important when you are in the middle of a war with Robert's brothers who have a legitimate claim.

It's not so much that one season is going to be 20 episodes, so much as it is that the third book is going to be split into two seasons.

Here's a source.

tumblr_llmt13wtkE1qa5csdo1_r1_500.gif

Superb.

Cyan

Banned
Only Tyrion really makes the effort to not be a dick. You have to believe it was because he was born a dwarf, he just never believed he could get power. And so he never became power-hungry. It makes me worried about how he'll be in the future as he is now both the Hand of the King and also a war hero basically.
Not anymore! Don't forget that Tywin is the actual Hand. Tyrion was just acting Hand while Tywin was elsewhere fighting Robb.

true, the Lannisters are for the most part ruthless and scheming and altogether not the nicest people in Westeros, but I'll take almost every single of them over the bland, one-dimensional Stark children and their mother. It's painfully obvious that they're the 'good' guys and that we're supposed be cheering for these characters, and maybe that's exactly the reason why I don't really like any of them (besides Arya of course). Especially not Jon. No one likes Jon.

Really? I sort of figured the opposite, that they were being used as sort of a deconstruction, to show how dumb and naive being honorable is.

Zeliard

Cersei doesn't care about anybody besides her own children. She let Jaime try to kill a child and she let Joffrey kill several. Tywin is the type of person who will order entire villages to be slaughtered for retribution after what he thought was an assassination attempt on himself a couple episodes ago. Even when Tyrion, the "lowest Lannister", was taken prisoner by Catelyn, he ordered villages to be slaughtered by Ser Gregor Clegane.

I don't see him getting any worse; he comes across as a decent and honorable person, which makes him far removed from the other Lannisters. Tyrion was also basically forced into the position to rally the men at Blackwater since Joffrey is a worthless coward, rather than having sought that sort of power and responsibility out. Tywin appointed him as the Hand in his stead so it's a similar sort of thing there.

true, the Lannisters are for the most part ruthless and scheming and altogether not the nicest people in Westeros, but I'll take almost every single of them over the bland, one-dimensional Stark children and their mother. It's painfully obvious that they're the 'good' guys and that we're supposed be routing for these characters, and maybe that's exactly the reason why I don't really like any of them (besides Arya of course). Especially not Jon. No one likes Jon.

The Starks are definitely the cookie-cutter good guys though Robb has a fun sense of anger and vengeance about him, and one that I think is about to become more forceful if/when he learns about Bran and Rickon.

Jon Snow is just incredibly naive (having been taught well by Ned) and borders on dumb, though he may end up growing some hair on those nuts given his current predicament, much like Sansa. Figuratively-speaking.

I feel like they can logistically do more episode if they do away with the current structure of using directors for episodes. This means that the director for episode 2 has to fly to 3 or 4 locations in order to shoot the episode, and the next one has to do the same. It creates a logistical nightmare, to time the shooting schedule to every different director's personal schedule of availability, etc.

They should instead just have a director for each location/plot thread. One director for all the Dany scene, one for all the Jon scenes, one for Kings Landing, Dragonstone, etc.

If the do it that way I think they could probably squeeze a couple of extra episodes out of the same shooting schedule.

Violet_0

Banned
Really? I sort of figured the opposite, that they were being used as sort of a deconstruction, to show how dumb and naive being honorable is.

that too, but together with Tyrion they're still the main protagonists of the show. And the worst thing a Stark has ever done was to ... uh ... sleep with another woman and conceive a child with her? Arya stabbing the stable boy doesn't really count, that was in self-defense.

Zeliard

I feel like they can logistically do more episode if they do away with the current structure of using directors for episodes. This means that the director for episode 2 has to fly to 3 or 4 locations in order to shoot the episode, and the next one has to do the same. It creates a logistical nightmare, to time the shooting schedule to every different director's personal schedule of availability, etc.

They should instead just have a director for each location/plot thread. One director for all the Dany scene, one for all the Jon scenes, one for Kings Landing, Dragonstone, etc.

If the do it that way I think they could probably squeeze a couple of extra episodes out of the same shooting schedule.

Don't they already do something similar? Thought I heard or read somewhere that all the Iceland stuff, for example, is generally shot by a second unit stationed there.

Speevy

Banned

My impression is that there are men who have honor (like Tyrion and Bronn), but it's buried under the exterior of loyalty and survival.

So by the end you'll root for someone who is not cruel, which is a kind of honor in Westeros.

Aside from Tyrion sending her daughter away and putting Joffrey in the line of fire, I think her hatred has grown due to her losing power - Joffrey doing his own thing without consulting her - and Tyrion gaining it by being the acting Hand. I'd also imagine she resents him, not just for destroying their mother from the cunt up on exit, but also that he is alive and well where as Jamie is captive / maybe dead.

I think it is all of the above plus the scene where she still blames him for their mother's death during his birth. Their mother might have been her only friend - and she died before she had a chance to teach Cersei this whole queen business (as if her life might have been easier). I believe this is why she's such a bitch to Sansa - she had to learn the cruelties alone and so should she.

That would be four or five directors an episode, which is even more of a logistical nightmare. Who gets final cut on the episode?

And even though TV is not nearly as director-driven as film, you would still notice the styles of four different directors butting against each other in a single episode.

Edit: As Zeliard pointed out, the episode director doesn't necessarily have to be there for everything, anyway.

Cyan

Banned
From the linked interview earlier:
Is this season better than season one?
Benioff: It looks better. I think the cast is taking it to another level. I think the directors did an incredible job. [But] I don’t have any distance from it, so it’s impossible to know. I didn’t know last year if anything worked. I really didn’t know if people were gonna understand what was going on. I was generally terrified that people would watch it and be like, “Wait. Who’s brothers with who?” … From the beginning we’d always prayed we’d get to season three at least because, you know, two of our favorite scenes from the entire saga are in season three.

Of course. The Scene Which Shall Not Be Named.
Benioff: The scene that we cannot mention. I just remember reading the book before we’d even written the pilot and thinking, “Oh, my God, we’ve got to get this. We’ve got to get this show to happen because if we can make this scene work, it’s gonna be one of the greatest things ever on television or film.”
:O

They have different shooting units, but the directors still fly from location to location for each episode.

As for thematic reason, I really don't think this show's themes are done from episode to episode, but instead is character to character. Dany has her personal thematic character arc, so does Jon, so does Tyrion, so does Arya, etc. Maybe what they should do is follow the Lost story structure more, where each episode heavily focuses on one character/location, just like the did for Blackwater.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
My impression is that there are men who have honor (like Tyrion and Bronn), but it's buried under the exterior of loyalty and survival.

So by the end you'll root for someone who is not cruel, which is a kind of honor in Westeros.
Neither Tyrion nor Bronn are honorable. Granted, Tyrion does not have the luxury of being able to be honorable in many situations, but still you have to remember that over the course of the show he has both enlisted the services of numerous prostitutes (Remembering Jaime's speech to Cat about how in a way, he was more honorable than Ned), and bribed his way out of pretty much every situation (Sky cell jailer, Bronn, Mountain clans). Bronn is a mercenary who has admitted he has no honor (after killing the "honorable" knight), and kills for a living. The only difference between them and everyone else is that they are witty, and can make you laugh.It just goes to show that the series really doesn't care about honor, in fact it sees honor as useless in such a cruel world. Having good intentions doesn't necessarily mean you have to be honorable.

They have different shooting units, but the directors still fly from location to location for each episode.

As for thematic reason, I really don't think this show's themes are done from episode to episode, but instead is character to character. Dany has her personal thematic character arc, so does Jon, so does Tyrion, so does Arya, etc. Maybe what they should do is follow the Lost story structure more, where each episode heavily focuses on one character/location, just like the did for Blackwater.

Well they really can't because story arcs occur over months at a time. Blackwater works because the events happen in one night.

There is generally no avoiding the structure they have now, which is a majority of episodes jumping between three or four storylines. This affords them one or two focused episodes a season, but if they tried to do that for the entire season you'd go at least three weeks without seeing principal characters, which is simply not workable.

LuchaShaq

Banned
That would be four or five directors an episode, which is even more of a logistical nightmare. Who gets final cut on the episode?

And even though TV is not nearly as director-driven as film, you would still notice the styles of four different directors butting against each other in a single episode.

Edit: As Zeliard pointed out, the episode director doesn't necessarily have to be there for everything, anyway.

Solution.

Stop whipping around the world spending 4 min in Kings landing then 6 in Qarth then 4 with Robb then 5 with Jaime then back to Kings landing for 3 etc.

Focus on one location as much as possible each episode. I'd love to see a super edit of this season.

One episode - Jon/sam north of the wall
One episode - Dany screaming MOTHER OF DRAGONS forty times
Multiple maybe 3-4 episodes not interspersed with other shit - Stannis/Kings landing/Renly
One episode Robb, cat/brienne after returning from Renly/stannis meeting
1-2 Winterfell-theon etc

One director per arc when possible so no more having insane logistical issues with directors having to fly somewhere to film two five minute scenes.

Honestly think the show would be infinitely more watchable.

We could barely deal with Kate flashback episodes in LOST, and those still had most of the cast in them. Would this season really have been better with an entire episode or two of Dany puttering around the desert? Or Peter Dinklage showing up for three episodes, at most?

zethren

Banned
I honestly feel the season finale is going to be underwhelming. I'm already bracing for disappointment; there is NO WAY they can top the battle of Blackwater.

Whether or not they top Blackwater, I don't know. But honestly, I've not been disappointed by a single episode of this show yet. So that's some optimism from my end anyway hahaha.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't really think you can focus every episode on one major character/location, as the show mirrors the books and all the different plotlines are intervening with each other

Zeliard

Solution.

Stop whipping around the world spending 4 min in Kings landing then 6 in Qarth then 4 with Robb then 5 with Jaime then back to Kings landing for 3 etc.

Focus on one location as much as possible each episode. I'd love to see a super edit of this season.

One episode - Jon/sam north of the wall
One episode - Dany screaming MOTHER OF DRAGONS forty times
Multiple episodes not interspersed with other shit - Stannis/Kings landing/Renly
One episode Robb, cat/brienne after returning from Renly/stannis meeting
1-2 Winterfell-theon etc

Honestly think the show would be infinitely more watchable.

This is one of those things that would probably be much better for a lot of the book readers who are very familiar with the characters and already largely know how the plot unfolds, and I'd personally dig it, but the majority of more casual GoT watchers could get lost and disinterested more easily were they not to see certain characters for stretches of weeks at a time. The cast is too big to make this sort of structure that effective for a lot of people, I think.

Lost worked well because, while it featured character-centric episodes, that was also regularly combined with on-island stuff that most of the characters participated in.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Threading through a good few recent pages of this thread, I think a reminder is warranted that absolutely no book spoilers are to be posted in this thread. No hints, no spoiler tags, no "but if you read the book..." nonsense. This thread serves the specific purpose of appealing to people who have not read the books. And so, the contents of the book are to be left out of all discussion. Yes, all of it.

If you want to discuss the book relative to the show, take it to the other thread.

Well I'm sure at least a couple of character deaths will be huge in the finale. Seems to be too many little plot things going on for it to continue at this rate.

I personally want more dire wolf action!

Rimfya

Banned
How many episodes-worth of budget went into that one alone?

Also per-character episodes would be awful. Imagine seeing Jon's entire arc one week, then going back months in time to start Robb's the next, then months back in time to start Renly's, etc.

Revolver

Fantastic episode. I was hoping to see Stannis "He's a serious man" Baratheon mess up Joffrey, but seeing him skulk off like a little punk was satisfying in it's own way. I hope Davos somehow survived. I imagine the royal paper shredder Cersei was behind the attempt to kill Tyrion and I got real nervous when she was questioning Shae. I do not want to see her figure out who Shae is.

I'll have to watch this episode again just to take it all in.

Emwitus

How many episodes-worth of budget went into that one alone?

Also per-character episodes would be awful. Imagine seeing Jon's entire arc one week, then going back months in time to start Robb's the next, then months back in time to start Renly's, etc.

Yeah, that wouldn't work. Especially if the story arc are inter twinned like the king's landing attack and whatever was happening with stannis plus i'm sure there are other things you can say needed to happen before the landing attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom