• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

How many episodes-worth of budget went into that one alone?

Also per-character episodes would be awful. Imagine seeing Jon's entire arc one week, then going back months in time to start Robb's the next, then months back in time to start Renly's, etc.

I agree. I think that is actually how the books are written though

Zeliard

I've been wanting to go through the books for some time now but every time I look at my 700-page hardcover copy of Game of Thrones, I just think "man I already know the story beats," and I just read something else instead, heh. And I know it would be much better to go through the entire series than just skip to the second book.

Plus Ned is one pitiful bastard. Having to relive his story in excruciating detail isn't something I'm greatly looking forward to.

One of these days.

woolley

Why was she again? And why did she not follow up with that? Seems like too big of a deal to just assume it's all good.

She was planning on having the soldiers fling the individual bottles of the wildfire towards Stannis's ships but Tyrion put an end to it once he found out because there was probably more of a chance that they would just set King's Cross of fire instead of the ships.

Ferrio

Banned
I've been wanting to go through the books for some time now but every time I look at my 700-page hardcover copy of Game of Thrones, I just think "man I already know the story beats," and I just read something else instead, heh. And I know it would be much better to go through the entire series than just skip to the second book.

Plus Ned is one pitiful bastard. Having to relive his story in excruciating detail isn't something I'm greatly looking forward to.

One of these days.

Read them, it's a different experience even if you've seen the series.

This thread is such a minefield, even after the repeated fucking reminders & full posts about NOT posting spoilers in this motherfucking thread. I thought I had THE one place on the whole Internet where I could discuss/read/groupwatch/experience this series as it happens on TV and not be spoiled by book readers.

I understand that if you know the events already, it is "exciting" to watch other people share in the surprise. But if you have to, please only read the thread.

Yes, I'm salty.

How many episodes-worth of budget went into that one alone?

Also per-character episodes would be awful. Imagine seeing Jon's entire arc one week, then going back months in time to start Robb's the next, then months back in time to start Renly's, etc.

I don't think it would have to be limited to one storyline per episode, but consolidating things would work really well - as it did in this episode. If you think about it, there are only five major storylines:

- Joffrey and King's Landing
- Rob vs. Tywin
- Stannis vs. Renley
- Jon north of The Wall
- Dannerys in Qarth.

If you combine two storylines per episode, you get a much tighter focus and there wouldn't be a problem with time jumps (not more then there are already):

Episode 1
- Joffrey/Jon Snow

Episode 2
- Rob vs. Tywin/Danerys

Episode 3
- Stannis v. Renley/Joffrey

It only takes three episodes to hit every plot line, so the audience wouldn't actually go very long without seeing a particular character.

McNei1y

So I just watched 'Blackwater'. GoT Damn. Some awesome shit just went on. I'm definitely upset with the last 2 minutes of the episode but everything was fucking dynamite.

I'd still only buy the books to support the franchise.

I mean, you don't get a beautiful image like this from text:

tumblr_m4pp3gjkgb1qzzhk1o1_500.gif
Jaw was on the floor after that. Really didn't think the explosion would be THAT powerful.

This thread is such a minefield, even after the repeated fucking reminders & full posts about NOT posting spoilers in this motherfucking thread. I thought I had THE one place on the whole Internet where I could discuss/read/groupwatch/experience this series as it happens on TV and not be spoiled by book readers.

I understand that if you know the events already, it is "exciting" to watch other people share in the surprise. But if you have to, please only read the thread.

Yes, I'm salty.

I agree. Some people have been real flagrant.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd still only buy the books to support the franchise.

I mean, you don't get a beautiful image like this from text:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S9GrcEE0FaI/T8L7qWVgDhI/AAAAAAAABRk/4Jjl-27O8Aw/w497-h373/tumblr_m4pp3gjkgb1qzzhk1o1_500.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

this post is depressing

McNei1y

So do we think Tyrion is dead? Did they show him alive in the preview?

They left the episode (no previews) with Tyrion laying on the ground with his eyes close and his servant holding him. My guess: He closed his eyes relieved to see Tywin coming in. At least I hope.

Additional Thoughts:

- I hope Davos isn't dead. I'm assuming he is since this show seems to be pretty literal with their deaths but still hoping.
- I was so pissed at the last couple of minutes. I loved the slow fighting and Cersei talking and such but the way the Lannister problem vs the Stannis situation seemed like a Deus ex machina in a lame way. I mean, it seemed like Stannis was taking the beach and then somehow Tywin is in the Red Keep all swag like?
- The Hound and Bronn are bosses. I'm definitely looking forward to how Sansa gets away from this situation based on the previews for next week.
- The wildfire scene was amazing.

Cyan

Banned
I don't think it would have to be limited to one storyline per episode, but consolidating things would work really well - as it did in this episode. If you think about it, there are only five major storylines:

- Joffrey and King's Landing
- Rob vs. Tywin
- Stannis vs. Renley
- Jon north of The Wall
- Dannerys in Qarth.
Dude, you skipped the most important storyline of them all.

Zeliard

Read them, it's a different experience even if you've seen the series.

I know, and I'll go through them all before the next season starts. Once I get over that first book hump, the rest will follow quickly.

I do find the increasing length of the books amusing, though, given that GRRM has a Masters in Journalism. And I've heard the later books can get pretty meandering. Pithiness isn't a concept he held onto, it seems. :p

Tabris

Based on what's been on the show so far, I would assume these are the most dangerous (in terms of physical prowess):

1) Grey Wind
2) Ghost
3) The Mountain
4) The Hound
5) Eddard Stark
6) Jamie Lannister
7) Brienne (last name?)
8) Jon Snow
9) Robb Stark
10) Loras Tyrell

Yeah I don't find Tywin's and the Tyrell's showing up as Deus Ex at all.

They showed you Tywin marching from Harrenhal in a hurry last week, they also showed you the Tyrells, and Loras particularly, hating Stannis, and that LF was trying to set up an alliance between the two. It makes perfect sense they're join forces and attack Stannis from the rear trapping his force between them and the walls of the city.

Gila

Fuck what an episode, you know the Lannisters are not that bad except for Joffrey and Cersei. Jamie is alright and Tywin & Tyrion are awesome (imo)

Fuck what an episode, you know the Lannisters are not that bad except for Joffrey and Cersei. Jamie is alright and Tywin & Tyrion are awesome (imo)

Tywin sends his gaurds to slaughters villagers like nobodies business. I find him likable too now but the guy is brutal.

McNei1y

I agree with you with every part but i think the point is to hate them all with the exception of tyrion. Lol

Last night's episode was good, but compared to the book it felt so mightily scaled down that I had a bit of trouble getting into it.

Drunk Queen was awesome though. Sansa finally showing some balls to the King was good too but part of me knows Joffrey would slap the shit out of her if she talked shit to him in front of his knights.

Prob give it a 7/10. Def not the best episode of the season but still pretty good.

McNei1y

Yeah I don't find Tywin's and the Tyrell's showing up as Deus Ex at all.

They showed you Tywin marching from Harrenhal in a hurry last week, they also showed you the Tyrells, and Loras particularly, hating Stannis, and that LF was trying to set up an alliance between the two. It makes perfect sense they're join forces and attack Stannis from the rear trapping his force between them and the walls of the city.

But from what I got out of it was that Tywin was marching on Robb since Arya was so quick to get Tywin killed. I guess I see where the explanation is from but it just seemed too sudden. I wouldn't have minded an entirely new king in Kings Landing. I miss the Baratheon blood.

Feature

Banned
The explosion was awesome, but the battle on the ground looked stupid. It looked like a 20vs20 instead of a massive battle.

big ander

Threading through a good few recent pages of this thread, I think a reminder is warranted that absolutely no book spoilers are to be posted in this thread. No hints, no spoiler tags, no "but if you read the book..." nonsense. This thread serves the specific purpose of appealing to people who have not read the books. And so, the contents of the book are to be left out of all discussion. Yes, all of it.

If you want to discuss the book relative to the show, take it to the other thread.
Thanks.
So do we think Tyrion is dead? [preview discussion]
Did they show him alive in the preview?
Well, you're supposed to tag preview discussion. Standard procedure for each and every television thread on GAF. It hasn't happened on the show yet, you can't post it openly in the thread.
(preview discussion)
I thought he was alive. Was very very sure that he was alive. I guess now I know it for certain
this post is depressing
Sort of, if you want to take it the wrong way. I don't think it's at all bad to prefer tv/movies to books. Completely disrespecting the power of literature is silly, but personally preferring one to the other is logical.
Last night's episode was good, but compared to the book it felt so mightily scaled down that I had a bit of trouble getting into it.

Drunk Queen was awesome though. Sansa finally showing some balls to the King was good too but part of me knows Joffrey would slap the shit out of her if she talked shit to him in front of his knights.

Prob give it a 7/10. Def not the best episode of the season but still pretty good.
See, why does a comparison to the books even need to be made here? That's the point/rule that's trying to be enforced in this thread right now: the books do not exist, for all intents and purposes. I understand there are apparently curmudgeons in the other thread making it shitty for people (though I have a hard time believing they're so bad that the thread is unvisitable). But that doesn't mean the rules of this thread should change.

Sansa was awesome. She's been subtly great all season. Love how her character's been growing.

Feature

Banned
Yes probably, so all is forgiven.

I can't wait for tyrion's dad to be proud of him. Should be a good scene if that happens.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I have not read any of the books but teasing that the Queen is going to kill herself is bullshit. Everything she said waiting for Kings Landing to be overthrown for shadows it....the fact that it didn't happen last episode...tells me her death will come and it will be glorious. Or at least I hope so.

You know who else's acting was really good this episode? Jack Gleeson's. He showed a range of emotions beyond sneering and snivelling, and did a convincing impression of a conflicted, immature but ultimately selfish young man. I was impressed, but goddamn did I want him to die.

I actually wanted Stannis to win, so long as it only dethrones the Lannisters and doesn't take all the other interesting Kings Landing folk out too. Varys, Littlefinger, etc. could stay and serve Stannis, we'd see more of Davos (if alive), Melisandre, etc. while the Lannisters (minus Joffrey) fled through the tunnels to join up with Tywin.

It would bring an interesting dynamic to see a different family in charge in Kings Landing, and I fear that this was the only chance for it to happen!

Gloam

The explosion was awesome, but the battle on the ground looked stupid. It looked like a 20vs20 instead of a massive battle.

I think it's important to highlight events at skirmish level, two armies running at one another and duking it out would be unintelligible. In a world where the majority of media favours the shaky cam aesthetic it was nice to see some full-frame one vs one action sequences in this episode, it might have looked hokey, but at least you could tell what was happening.

Zeliard

Surprising to see elsewhere that some people didn't realize a big reason the Hound went "fuck it" is because he has a deathly fear of fire. Thought that came across quite well in the episode.

They made it a point to show how frightened he was at the fire raging around him, including that one guy burning and screaming in slow-mo, at which point the Hound decides to depart. He wasn't trying to have any of that, for obvious reasons.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Surprising to see elsewhere that some people didn't realize a big reason the Hound went "fuck it" is because he has a deathly fear of fire. Thought that came across quite well in the episode.

They made it a point to show how frightened he was at the fire raging around him, including that one guy burning and screaming in slow-mo, at which point the Hound decides to depart. He wasn't trying to have any of that, for obvious reasons.

"Any of these fucking flaming arrows come near me, I'll strangle you with your own guts"

"Any of these fucking flaming arrows come near me, I'll strangle you with your own guts"

Even before they showed subtle hints like him flinching when they moved a torch in front of his face. No idea how you would miss all of that combined (even w/o remembering where his facial scars come from).

However, I thought his "fuck it" speech was also due to him being drunk.
I mean, even with his fear of fire (and was that really his first fight that involved fire?) he would not just say "fuck the king" to the king he is sworn to protect? That's basically treason and they probably let him only go because he's the fucking Hound :p
In the first season he even kills the butcher's boy with no remorse because he was told to do it.
Unless by now he simply grew tired of being treated shitty, I guess there were some hints for that as well this season.

That's basically treason and they probably let him only go because he's the fucking Hound :p

I think the Hound's moment was earned based on what we've seen over these last few years, and I also think they didn't just let him get away with it because he was the Hound, but because they were all equally despairing, and to hear that from the warrior they expected to save the day was more disheartening than aggravating. Joffrey looked scared and heartbroken, not angry and disrespected.

I've used too many adjectives.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I hope we get to see more of Brienne in S3. Her short battle right after Renly's death was amazing. He crushed those soldiers like fucking peanuts.

Vlad

- I was so pissed at the last couple of minutes. I loved the slow fighting and Cersei talking and such but the way the Lannister problem vs the Stannis situation seemed like a Deus ex machina in a lame way. I mean, it seemed like Stannis was taking the beach and then somehow Tywin is in the Red Keep all swag like?

I was thinking the exact same thing the first time I watched the episode, but it seemed so out of place that I rewatched the last few minutes to see if I missed something, and they actually did show Tywin's forces showing up on the battlefield.

First Tyrion heads out and kills the guys near the mud gate, then the "fuck me" moment when the rest of Stannis' forces attack them, then Tyrion gets attacked by the Kingsguard guy.

While he's slowly collapsing from what looked like a little cut across his face (can't figure that one out, though.. perhaps the blade was poisoned?), he sees ANOTHER force show up, all on horseback.

At first I thought the riders were part of Stannis' forces, but on the rewatch I noticed that they're actually flying the Lannister flag: red with a big ol' lion on it.

The best I can guess is that the first time around, I was busy listening to Cersei's story instead of watching the fighting, but it's definitely not completely out of nowhere like I first though.

JGS

Banned
Yeah, why didn't they just hire a 1000 extras with costumes for each side?
They did to me.

The battle as it was filmed was explained i thought. Thousands were blown up or incapacitated by the wildfire. Hundreds or thousands more were killed by the arrows and the wall defense. The mud gate was the easiest means to access the city which means it was the least defended. Tyrion indicated that the guards at the gates of the city were still at their posts too.

My thinking is the wildfire was supposed to halt the invasion altogether but Stannis was too stubborn to let a little thing like his troops burning up stop him.

The battle itself suffered mainly from it's medium and cameras used. Otherwise, it was sufficiently epic to me.

EDIT: Watched it again last night and those drums were a pretty nice touch as well. Definitely a suspense heightener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom