• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
realistically, both of them saved the city. Had Tyrion's Wildfire plan not wiped out the ships, Stannis men would have still dwarfed the Lannister's men even with the Tyrells and Tywin. And had Tywin not come at that time, Tyrion's wildfire plan would not have been enough

This. Even if the Tyrells and Tywin had beaten Stannis' unwildfired/decimated ranks they would have been left with so few men that Robb could have made short work of them. Not to mention if Balon decided that a decimated royal fleet (would have been if not for Tyrion) made raiding the area or even raising lannisport much more palatable than the North leaving Robb even stronger.

Timbuktu

"so, melisandre, what malady to destroy my enemies can you pull out of your pussy this week? death of every firstborn...or a plague of toads maybe?

Really shd have pulled that trick after Renly won. I mean, the city would had no chance against Renly, who would have had the Tyrells, then go and congratulate him as a brother, then bam! Shadow baby asassin strikes.

Really enjoyed that, it says something that we didn't get any Jon or Dany and it's the best episode of the season, even discounting the action. it's not quite Kingdom of Heaven: DC, but i found it as interesting as Helm's Deep at least.

Yager

Banned
That was...wow, I mean, it was...fuck, no words for it. As someone said before, I've seen tons of movies with worst explosions. Just amazing, now I wanna watch the whole episode again and again and again.

Emwitus

Okay guys. I didnt get what happened with tyrion?? The hand of the king. Why did that guy slash him when they were on the same side? Is he dead? I hope not.Neat episode by the way but also left me wondering why this show wasn't made into a movie instead like harry porter.......and porter was far more boring. I guess maybe cause the world is a little less rich in things to do. Anywho.

iAeQ2KJ7L5Azh.gif

So uhm....how much damage can fully grown dragons do? they supposedly melted a castle huh?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So uhm....how much damage can fully grown dragons do? they supposedly melted a castle huh?

I imagine that three adult dragons could wreck shit on a comparable scale... several times.

dragon can't be that scary when they're (nearly) extinct now :p
IIRC they weren't killed, they "died out" (too much inbreeding?)

Edit: I, for one, cannot wait for the behind the scenes video in the Blu-ray set. I want to see the preparations for that explosion.

Great to see the active discussion in this thread.

One more refresh on the spoiler rules.
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Please use the other thread if you're a book reader. Thanks.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Neat episode by the way but also left me wondering why this show wasn't made into a movie instead like harry porter.......and porter was far more boring. I guess maybe cause the world is a little less rich in things to do. Anywho.
The series would be unfilmable as a movie. The amount of content that would have to be cut just to get it down to something like the LoTR trilogy would be staggering. The first two LoTR books are about equal in length to the first book of GoT for example and there are 5 (of 7 planned) books out right now. :lol

pringles

Really shd have pulled that trick after Renly won. I mean, the city would had no chance against Renly, who would have had the Tyrells, then go and congratulate him as a brother, then bam! Shadow baby asassin strikes.

Really enjoyed that, it says something that we didn't get any Jon or Dany and it's the best episode of the season, even discounting the action. it's not quite Kingdom of Heaven: DC, but i found it as interesting as Helm's Deep at least.
Let's not go crazy here. It was an awesome episode, the wildfire was AMAZING, but compared to something like Helm's Deep (one of the absolute best castle-sieges in movie history) it has NOTHING.

And why should it? But compared to other stuff on TV, it was masterful.

Enosh

If you can't wait for the season finale, you should consider importing the DVD from China!
http://i.imgur.com/ra2fJ.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
holy shit :lol
do people actually buy this stuff? I mean there has to be a reason why they went through the trouble

makes me wonder what people in china think of GoT

Here's what I want to happen now: Stannis to die, Davos to seize control of his people, and then he tries to take down Melisandre. Cue civil war between those who'll serve Davos and those bewitched by the Lord of Light.

ASIS

episode 9.. just wow..

I didn't read the books but i'll be damned if a book reader could ever say they were disappointed in that episode.

WOW, excellent mix of story progression, action, and character progression, hell, even the queen's performance was top notch!

Amir0x

Banned
Okay guys. I didnt get what happened with tyrion?? The hand of the king. Why did that guy slash him when they were on the same side? Is he dead? I hope not.Neat episode by the way but also left me wondering why this show wasn't made into a movie instead like harry porter.......and porter was far more boring. I guess maybe cause the world is a little less rich in things to do. Anywho.

think of the show and then imagine them trying to condense its content into even a LOTR-style extended cut three and a half hour movie. It would be... interesting to say the least :p

episode 9.. just wow..

I didn't read the books but i'll be damned if a book reader could ever say they were disappointed in that episode.

WOW, excellent mix of story progression, action, and character progression, hell, even the queen's performance was top notch!

I think what this episode proved more than anything is not that the show needs a bigger episode per budget - although if they can get up to $90,000,000 per season I think they'd be in the right spot for a show like this - but i think it proves that each episode needs a tighter focus. Like, maybe every episode should primary focus on one or two main characters, and interweave the stories like that. The storytelling was so much clearer and focused and impactful in this last episode.

ASIS

I think what this episode proved more than anything is not that the show needs a bigger episode per budget - although if they can get up to $90,000,000 per season I think they'd be in the right spot for a show like this - but i think it proves that each episode needs a tighter focus. Like, maybe every episode should primary focus on one or two main characters, and interweave the stories like that. The storytelling was so much clearer and focused and impactful in this last episode.

I wouldn't have agreed with you before, but in season 2 I definitely see where you are coming from. There are just too many characters involved to limit it just to 10 episodes. I believe that a bigger budget would help in creating more episodes and hence a better focus. But overall I'd be hard pressed to say that I am not satisfied with this season. It was excellent for me (Though I do know that you're going to disagree with that :p).

Amir0x

Banned
I wouldn't have agreed with you before, but in season 2 I definitely see where you are coming from. There are just too many characters involved to limit it just to 10 episodes. I believe that a bigger budget would help in creating more episodes and hence a better focus. But overall I'd be hard pressed to say that I am not satisfied with this season. It was excellent for me (Though I do know that you're going to disagree with that :p).

It's actually not possible for them to do more than ten episodes per season according to the showrunners. They said the shooting schedule is simply too tight and they wouldn't be able to complete one season per year. With all the effects shots and shooting locations and whatnots, I can believe it.

Al-ibn Kermit

So, in the finale they have to resolve...

• the whole Arya/Gendry/Hot Pie escape situation.
  • the choice Robb will make as far as where to march his army and whether or not to marry a Frey.
  • Brienne and Jaime need a few minutes to show where they're going to go.
  • Stannis and the remnants of is army need to regroup and plan a new attack or get religious guidance maybe.
  • Sansa will learn that she's being demoted from a queen to just a hostage. Which is actually an upgrade in a way.
  • of course, there's also Jon Snowe and Theon and Brann/Rickon all doing their own thing.

oh, and dragons.

I don't think they'll touch the aftermath of Tyrion's assassination attempt until next season. Some Lannister in-fighting is always a good way to start a season. Plus the finale is going to be packed as it is.

ASIS

It's actually not possible for them to do more than ten episodes per season according to the showrunners. They said the shooting schedule is simply too tight and they wouldn't be able to complete one season per year. With all the effects shots and shooting locations and whatnots, I can believe it.

Oh, so it's not a monetary issue? Or at the very least it's not their only restraint? That's a damn shame. But oh well quality over quantity I guess.

• the choice Robb will make as far as where to march his army and whether or not to marry a Frey.
  • Stannis and the remnants of is army need to regroup and plan a new attack or get religious guidance maybe.
  • Sansa will learn that she's being demoted from a queen to just a hostage. Which is actually an upgrade in a way.
  • of course, there's also Jon Snowe and Theon and Brann/Rickon all doing their own thing.

oh, and dragons.
wait what?

spirity

It is interesting to note the response the wildfire got. Besides the crazy old guy and Joffrey, everyone else was kinda horrified. Tyrion, The Hound, the archers, Bronn. No victorious cheers, just shocked expressions.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind if GoT adopted an airing schedule similar to what happened with the Sopranos. HBO would hate it but I would love getting those extra 2 or 3 episodes per season even if it meant a season every 18 months or so.

Timbuktu

It is interesting to note the response the wildfire got. Besides the crazy old guy and Joffrey, everyone else was kinda horrified. Tyrion, The Hound, the archers, Bronn. No victorious cheers, just shocked expressions.

To think Cersei was keeping tons of the stuff under the city.

I wouldn't mind them trying more radical structural changes next season, just two or three POVs for a whole season, one pov per episode for example and link it together themeticallynthrough the season perhaps. The scattershot episodes, covering all bases for plot, don't work for me. Cover what you can in ten hours of great television and those who want more can go to th books.

oh, and dragons.

I don't think they'll touch the aftermath of Tyrion's assassination attempt until next season. Some Lannister in-fighting is always a good way to start a season. Plus the finale is going to be packed as it is.
I thought Brienne said 'it's a long way to King's landing'. It seems like that's where they are going.

Has it been confirmed that it's going to be another ~year long wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom