• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

You know who else's acting was really good this episode? Jack Gleeson's. He showed a range of emotions beyond sneering and snivelling, and did a convincing impression of a conflicted, immature but ultimately selfish young man. I was impressed, but goddamn did I want him to die.

I actually wanted Stannis to win, so long as it only dethrones the Lannisters and doesn't take all the other interesting Kings Landing folk out too. Varys, Littlefinger, etc. could stay and serve Stannis, we'd see more of Davos (if alive), Melisandre, etc. while the Lannisters (minus Joffrey) fled through the tunnels to join up with Tywin.

It would bring an interesting dynamic to see a different family in charge in Kings Landing, and I fear that this was the only chance for it to happen!

Yeah that's what i was thinking as well. I wanted to see a new family in Kings Landing. It would've been cool to see the dynamic of a new family as the series progessed.

Kinyou

Would add a lot of credibility to the show if Davos was killed just like that I think. Instead of a scene dedicated to his death with songs and shit he just got blown up in a second with hundreds of others.
I think Davos is still alive. After all was there an extra cut to show how he gets blown off the ship.

He always reminds me of Jean Reno, so he can't be dead :'(

JGS

Banned
Unless the scene secretly sucked, there's no way that anyone on Davos ship survived. Davos would would have to be blown close to shore with no injuries.

The explosion covered an entire full green circle around the closest ships. No ship was closer than Davos'.

Plotwise it makes sense too because he was the main thing standing in the way of the witch having more control over Stannis.

Violet_0

Banned
Unless the scene secretly sucked, there's no way that anyone on Davos ship survived. Davos would would have to be blown close to shore with no injuries.

The explosion covered an entire full green circle around the closest ships. No ship was closer than Davos'.

Plotwise it makes sense too because he was the main thing standing in the way of the witch having more control over Stannis.

I'm 100% sure that he's still alive. They can explain it away that he was just hit by the blast and pushed underwater, where he was save from the flames.

King's Landing has to have the worst defenses if it can be easily taken in a couple hours. If Robb's army ever gets this far, they should have no problem breaking through the walls with a traditional siege.

Massa

I'm 100% sure that he's still alive. They can explain it away that he was just hit by the blast and pushed underwater, where he was save from the flames.

King's Landing has to have the worst defenses if it can be easily taken in a couple hours. If Robb's army ever gets this far, they should have no problem breaking through the walls with a traditional siege.

They did not take King's Landing though (it has never been taken). With the Stannis threat eliminated and all the forces available to fight the North (Joffrey already wanted to attack them in episode 8) as well as the help of the Tyrells, I think Robb is pretty much done with his campaign.

Edit: Didn't post any spoilers but I brought book knowledge in, sorry. Didn't realize which thread this was.

Shiloa

I doubt Davos is dead. It just seems so unlikely. I mean, Sean Bean always dies, Liam Cunningham will not go for a part that short.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm definitely feeling like crowd favorite Brienne will be gutted and killed by Jamie in the finale. She'd be the biggest gut punch without affecting the whole story.

I was thinking the exact same thing the first time I watched the episode, but it seemed so out of place that I rewatched the last few minutes to see if I missed something, and they actually did show Tywin's forces showing up on the battlefield.

First Tyrion heads out and kills the guys near the mud gate, then the "fuck me" moment when the rest of Stannis' forces attack them, then Tyrion gets attacked by the Kingsguard guy.

While he's slowly collapsing from what looked like a little cut across his face (can't figure that one out, though.. perhaps the blade was poisoned?), he sees ANOTHER force show up, all on horseback.

At first I thought the riders were part of Stannis' forces, but on the rewatch I noticed that they're actually flying the Lannister flag: red with a big ol' lion on it.

The best I can guess is that the first time around, I was busy listening to Cersei's story instead of watching the fighting, but it's definitely not completely out of nowhere like I first though.

Wha? The blade sliced from above his left eye, across the bridge of his nose, and through his cheek. I imagine its meant to be deeper than it initially looks.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Wha? The blade sliced from above his left eye, across the bridge of his nose, and through his cheek. I imagine its meant to be deeper than it initially looks.
It didn't cut his eye though, so that was as deep as it got. Seems clear to me he just passed out from shock, dunno why people are so worried they'd kill their Emmy winner in an off hand moment.

Cake Boss

Banned
Dont know why would anyone think Tyrion is dead from that scene. The armor dude scratched him on the face and Tyrion basically passed out because of the shock of his near death.

It didn't cut his eye though, so that was as deep as it got. Seems clear to me he just passed out from shock, dunno why people are so worried they'd kill their Emmy winner in an off hand moment.

Because they killed Sean Bean. That was unlikely on paper too! NO-ONE IS SAFE

I don't think he's dead though. *knock on wood*

J-Rod

I know she is an acclaimed actor and people like her character, but I despise cercie. She has no expression in her face when acting. Just her lips pressed together unnaturally and one eyebrow cocked in every scene of every movie for every mood.

For a show where anyone could die at anytime, I feel tyrion is damn near invincible because he has so much character and so by extention most of the lannisters are safe too.

After that explosion, I didn't even think there would be a battle. It looked like it destroyed almost everything. I thought Stannis was captured and so for sure dead, but reading the thread I see it was his own men. That makes sense, because I still think Brienne will be the one to end him. The foreshadowing of that was not subtle.

I didn't hear every word, but was the convo between tyrion and varys telling us he likes little boys? It sounded that way, but I didn't think eunuchs were capable of enjoying anything like that.

I've been thinking Sansa would die soon since the middle of season 1. They painted her to be an ass relative to the rest of the Starks and then worked out the snafu with Joffrey to kill off her wolf instead of aryia's. I want her to live now. Surely she has learned quite a lot about life and is pretty strong to keep her shit together good enough to not be killed even after being exposed to one traumatizing event after another. All the bad shit that happens to her constantly while still showing she's a decent person (calming the other women) make me want to see her be ok.

It's going to suck if it goes another year without any lannister comeuppance.

SeanR1221

While it seems unlikely anyone in Davos' position could survive the blast, maybe some type of sorcery/black magic kept him alive? Same with Stannis. I mean, the dude just straight up went first leading the attack.

JGS

Banned

it wasn't just him being blown away but lets focus in that for a second. Tv and film always suck at showing this but a blast that powerful would be like being hit by a car. He was unconscious/dead before he even hit the water.

The heat would be intense enough to boil the water and the wildfire stuff lingered on the surface. He would have to stay conscious, swim downward, and then back up to fresh air, and then head for shore.

I would love for Davos to not die but I would hate it more for him to survive that scene. It totally removes the awesome.
While it seems unlikely anyone in Davos' position could survive the blast, maybe some type of sorcery/black magic kept him alive? Same with Stannis. I mean, the dude just straight up went first leading the attack.
I was just about to say that Melisandre could have saved him to prove her power if she was really there. Otherwise no one else would care

nubbe

KgP5R.jpg

dont tell me next episode is the finale for this season?

seriously they need to start making more episodes for this show, its over before its even started.

how long do we have to wait for next season?

JGS

Banned
It looks like it's every year around April. This may change if other tentpole shows are ending like Boardwalk Empire or True Blood.

They are now going to have to start worrying about the kids' ages next season, so they can't dilly dally between season for too long.

Kinyou

When the blood appeared on his face I feared for a moment that it was one of those "first-a-little-blood-and-then-the-whole-head-splits-in-two" kind of shots.

gdt

WTF, the only thing that will make me stop watching this show and series in general is when they make the season with 10-12 episodes. WTF is that shit.

nothing less than 20+ episodes is good.

I am sure they can cram more material into this damn show.

They literally can't. It takes forever to film.

Also 20 episodes? WTF? This is HBO, they don't do that, nor do they want to.

However, the next book will get two seasons, so S3 and S4 will be from the third book. Of course they could add or subtract some stuff in terms of content and what-comes-from-which-book.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
When the blood appeared on his face I feared for a moment that it was one of those "first-a-little-blood-and-then-the-whole-head-splits-in-two" kind of shots.

Yup. But when the blood began to drip it reminded me of a deep cut I once got in the kitchen. It looked like a long, sharp cut in the skin; then it magically opened into a flesh wound, blood pouring everywhere. I freaked out a little bit.

JGS

Banned
I personally think the show needs to go its own path. The show by itself has hooked people and so they have the ability to change as needed as long as they continue to get Martin's blessing.

It should go without saying that until they find suitable replacements, Tyrion & The Stark kids aren't going anywhere regardless of what the other [non-existence] source says. However, it may not take much to replace them (Tyrion replaced Ned in pretty short order and allowed us to sympathize with Lannister clan)

They literally can't. It takes forever to film.

However, the next book will get two seasons, so S3 and S4 will be from the third book. Of course they could add or subtract some stuff in terms of content and what-comes-from-which-book.

Yes might take a long time to film but I rather wait for a long season than to get small bursts of episodes and when you start to get into it the season is over and you have to wait 1 year for the next season.

torontoml

I have noticed that other HBO series run around 12-13 episodes like The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and The Wire.

Are the budgets comparable or is GOT that much more expensive that they can't get 2 or 3 more episodes?

gdt

I have noticed that other HBO series run around 12-13 episodes like The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and The Wire.

Are the budgets comparable or is GOT that much more expensive that they can't get 2 or 3 more episodes?

GOT is more expensive than those, but the real problem is how long it takes to film. IIRC, it takes like 9-10 months to film.

ShaneB

Jesus this thread has been active! It's hard to keep up, will be fun after the season finale.

I just started reading the books as well, so that will be great. It's certainly much easier to keep track of people's names when they're written right there plain to see! :p

Mairu

I think Davos is still alive. After all was there an extra cut to show how he gets blown off the ship.

He always reminds me of Jean Reno, so he can't be dead :'(

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the resemblance! When he was first on screen I actually thought it was Jean Reno before I looked it up.

I remember some interview with the showrunners saying something to the effect that even if they had the go ahead for 12 episodes, it wouldn't be possible so long as they wanted to have the show come out within one year. They're basically working on the show year round, filming over the summer and into the fall, doing all the post production, casting new characters and making new locations for subsequent seasons and so forth. So its their preference to have 10 episodes per season.

I remember some interview with the showrunners saying something to the effect that even if they had the go ahead for 12 episodes, it wouldn't be possible so long as they wanted to have the show come out within one year. They're basically working on the show year round, filming over the summer and into the fall, doing all the post production, casting new characters and making new locations for subsequent seasons and so forth. So its their preference to have 10 episodes per season.

With no ad revenue, HBO doesn't really have much incentive to expand the season length either. It'd raise the show's budget without much return.

CrankyJay

Banned
With no ad revenue, HBO doesn't really have much incentive to expand the season length either. It'd raise the show's budget without much return.

I guess, though you could argue it may make the difference in attracting new subscriptions or charging more for a bluray set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom