• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I don't agree with him. If I buy a new TV but after 50 hours it stops working and I choose to return it, am I a thief?

Do you deserve a refund if you haven't even tried to do some basic trouble shooting?

Lot's of people(myself included) have played more than 50 hours. So it's not that the software doesn't work once you hit that point.

Maybe it requires re-installation, or scrapping your save, but I'm pretty sure the software he purchased still works.

Now it may suck to lose all your progress to a corrupted save after 50 hours, but that doesn't IMO mean you deserve your money back. Especially when the developer is actively releasing patches.

David___

Banned
Currently taking a break since a realization came to me: How are our saves going to be affected once they actually add brand new content like base building?

mokeyjoe

Currently taking a break since a realization came to me: How are our saves going to be affected once they actually add brand new content like base building?

If it's like the day one patch then you'll probably be able to continue. The first patch required a restart for the Atlas path but not for changes to terrain and spacestations etc.

Raist

Banned
Not sure why HG would release a game and not "activate" certain parts... Really seems odd to me.

Really not unheard of.
Demon's Souls is an example. Shitload of data for the 6th archstone still on disc, yet you couldn't go there. Was never added later either.

OuterLimits

Installed 1.07 on PS4.

I cannot find the final creature to get my Silver trophy for 100% zoology discovered. I have honestly been around this same moon for well over 6 hours (Mostly looking for creature but finding knowledge stones, mining Emeril and getting Drop Pods was a small portion)

I honestly think its bugged but I just need 1 creature to scan, get 275k and my Silver trophy and I don't know if I should leave this moon and attempt another planet/moon. It is so frustrating this game yet I am hooked for hours on end. I really, really, hope Hello Games can really turn this game around.

Overall, I am disappointed with what we got in the end, knowing it has a lot of shortcomings to what was said and even shown at times, but I do hold out the hope that the future Content Updates really turn it around. Base Building and Freighter ownership is very big, not to mention Temporal AA and improved Cloud Rendering tech which is pretty sweet.

They plan on improving the clouds? That would be sweet.

I'm one of the few unlucky ones getting some bad pop in from the latest patch. It definitely seems to be worse on some planets though.

I probably need to start the game over anyway. I paused the game and when I came back to it about an hour later, my character had died several times it seems and overwritten by saves. So my 5 Atlas stones were gone. Perhaps a grave exists somewhere on the planet with the stones, but I have no clue where it is.

Lesson learned. Don't leave the Atlas stones in the exosuit inventory and exit the game completely when you have a 3 year old who will pick up a game controller and push buttons.

My theory is that I heard Sean talk about a language that would be difficult to learn and the internet would have to figure it out. I'm assuming that is the atlas language. There has to be something to do with learning that and activating the portals.

So...I just landed on my first new planet with the 1.07 patch, and whoa. This could be completely coincidental, but the plants are gigantic here. I put this save pole here for a reference scale, though the size is still deceptive. That plant is really probably 60-70 feet tall.

pysKg0T.jpg

I've seen some plants and trees that were double my height, but nothing approaching these. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but... are other people seeing plant size increases in 1.07?

sidenote: I noticed some of my old thumbnails from 1.05 look corrupted after 1.07. Even a couple of my screenshots from 1.05 have weird image corruption issues (viewable, but distorted areas). Haven't seen that in 1.07 though so I guess they fixed whatever they broke.

Loudninja

So...I just landed on my first new planet with the 1.07 patch, and whoa. This could be completely coincidental, but the plants are gigantic here. I put this save pole here for a reference scale, though the size is still deceptive. That plant is really probably 60-70 feet tall.

I've seen some plants and trees that were double my height, but nothing approaching these. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but... are other people seeing plant size increases in 1.07?

sidenote: I noticed some of my old thumbnails from 1.05 look corrupted after 1.07. Even a couple of my screenshots from 1.05 have weird image corruption issues (viewable, but distorted areas). Haven't seen that in 1.07 though so I guess they fixed whatever they broke.
Notice that too.

Awesome looking planet!

mokeyjoe

Lesson learned. Don't leave the Atlas stones in the exosuit inventory and exit the game completely when you have a 3 year old who will pick up a game controller and push buttons.

Dont worry, I've heard if you're not happy with it after 3 years you might still be able to get a Steam refund.

David___

Banned

Something like this would have needed a brand new generation seed I'd think.

mokeyjoe

My theory is that I heard Sean talk about a language that would be difficult to learn and the internet would have to figure it out. I'm assuming that is the atlas language. There has to be something to do with learning that and activating the portals.

It's been fully translated though. Although admittedly I do think was mainly via the internet...

mokeyjoe

Lol. Oh. There goes that theory. Have they translated the in game messages in that language? Id be interested in seeing that.

I think it's on the wiki.

Portals are dead right now. But any update could potentially activate them, and given that patch notes are sketchy at best, they may not even tell anyone if they are.

As far as the data mining goes, is that the original game, or does that include what comes down in patches too?

Spyware

Nah I've seen things like that before. Not often, maybe just once, but I've seen it.
But I do feel smaller in the latest patch, so things look bigger than before. Someone said you can get out at "different heights" from your ship. I hadn't noticed any oddities with that before but now I'm consistently really short. I have to look up at sitting aliens and I was at least their height before iirc.
Would be a pretty simple way to make everything look taller. Just shrink the player :D

I'm going only off of Minecraft, but whenever new features were added you needed to start a new world to be able to see/ access the features. But as long as the world itself isn't altered then I guess nothing should happen.

I wouldn't expect that for adding a new feature. Game devs are use to handling game save version changes.

I am curious whether they are likely to ever update the procedural generation algorithms for anything, as that may completely change the creatures/worlds that your in or have previously 'discovered'.

Bold One

I've noticed bigger animals and more of them.

I would upload pics if the PS4 had a quicker way to do so.

Nah I've seen things like that before. Not often, maybe just once, but I've seen it.
But I do feel smaller in the latest patch, so things look bigger than before. Someone said you can get out at "different heights" from your ship. I hadn't noticed any oddities with that before but now I'm consistently really short. I have to look up at sitting aliens and I was at least their height before iirc.
Would be a pretty simple way to make everything look taller. Just shrink the player :D

Damn... I already felt like the astronaut's face was growing out of his/her crotch...

You saying they're even shorter now?

Dont worry, I've heard if you're not happy with it after 3 years you might still be able to get a Steam refund.

"After playing for three years I have concluded that the features we were promised are absent from the game, therefore I am disappointed. I'll be taking my money back, thank you."

Despite Portals being a wash, it was a super fun community puzzle where people actually worked together and shared clues. I wish there was an actual payoff but, even more than that, I hope there can be more genuine mistery in the game in this style. God knows it's a great potential, like everything else in the game.

Just got my first game-breaking bug. My ship decided to leave the planet without me and both of my previous saves end up with my ship off-planet. Worse, the planet is mostly water and the nearest places I can find that might have a ship-call button are at least an hour away, mostly swimming. And when I shrugged and said, fine, let's do this, the game immediately crashed (only my third crash so far, so that's not bad). But that's really frustrating. Do any of the recent patches clear up the "ship flying off without you" issue, and are they available on GOG? I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending hours swimming around in radioactive water trying to find a button to get my ship back.

Just got my first game-breaking bug. My ship decided to leave the planet without me and both of my previous saves end up with my ship off-planet. Worse, the planet is mostly water and the nearest places I can find that might have a ship-call button are at least an hour away, mostly swimming. And when I shrugged and said, fine, let's do this, the game immediately crashed (only my third crash so far, so that's not bad). But that's really frustrating. Do any of the recent patches clear up the "ship flying off without you" issue, and are they available on GOG? I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending hours swimming around in radioactive water trying to find a button to get my ship back.

...I've never heard of this... That's horrible... but hilarious.

Something like this would have needed a brand new generation seed I'd think.

Hm, but not if this world has never been discovered before (which it hadn't). The seed is just the seed; the code for generating everything is still in the game files. And this last patch was 630MB, so something significant changed.

Maybe, I haven't noticed that. Anyway, maybe I just got lucky with a rare bit of megaflora.

I've noticed bigger animals and more of them.

I would upload pics if the PS4 had a quicker way to do so.

I use a Twitter account to upload, then send them over to imgur. Not exactly one step, but it's quick enough.

Do any of the recent patches clear up the "ship flying off without you" issue, and are they available on GOG? I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending hours swimming around in radioactive water trying to find a button to get my ship back.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. The most recent patches on PC and PS4 supposedly fixed the liftoff-into-orbit bug, so floating ships might be related.

Bold One

I am so sorry dude

giphy.gif

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Not sure why HG would release a game and not "activate" certain parts... Really seems odd to me.

Because the game is not finished. Same reason why you can't craft any Curiosities or ship Scanners. And why only one upgrade has an Omega tier. And why some of the exotic elements have no use right now. etc. etc.

OuterLimits

Lol. I enjoy the game too much to ask for a refund despite the annoying issues at times. I'm upset that I didn't turn the game off. Oh well, live and learn.

Only game I probably ever wanted a refund for was Skyrim on PS3.

I'm hopeful though that in a year, the game will be significantly better though. It has a good foundation but feels very unfinished.

Best advice would be to find one of those beacons that require a bypass chip and search for transmission. Will lead you to a facility with a ship recall option(or a beacon that will lead you to one). Don't think the colonial outpost option always does though, so I would avoid using that option.

Aenima

Congratulations, you have unlocked a new quest.

Did anyone ever figure out where the Boltcaster SM upgrade lies on the power scale? Below Sigma? Also, is the multitool upgrade that does rapidfire shots worth using?

Visited my first atlas something or other (it was blocked by the star system info window) and "recieved" the atlas pass finally.

Except I don't have it. Not even in the crafting menu. This common?

I was at one of the monolith ruins and there was one of those giant monolith balls you can roll around there. I thought about rolling one of those to a portal to see if anything would happen.

Does the datamining confirm that there is no way to activate the portals or that they just have not been activated yet?...

vix

Just finished the Atlas Path. Glad to be done with it.

Not sure if I should head for the center or wander around for a bit. I could really use a new ship. Mine is only 23 slots. Could use a much better multitool as well, that's only 13 slots. I do have max suit slots though.

I wish I had taken advantage of the transmission tower more than what I did. Oh well, guess I gotta get a new ship the slower way. Now that I'm off Atlas I have more free space to mess about with ships and what not. Seriously, all items should be stackable. It can be really frustrating at times.

Just warped to my first red star since I'm wandering. Don't see too much a different yet but have only landed on one planet in the system.

Aenima

Visited my first atlas something or other (it was blocked by the star system info window) and "recieved" the atlas pass finally.

Except I don't have it. Not even in the crafting menu. This common?

Should be in the crafting menu next to the Bypass Chip. It happened before some blueprints dont appearing in the crafting menu, but in the patch notes they told they fixed that for the 1.07 version.
If its not there and u not moved too far, try reload the oldest save.

I don't think they've made the player smaller; I was just looking in a building and the multitool terminal is still eye height and the Gek in there was much smaller than me. The plants I saw are just really really big.

I was at one of the monolith ruins and there was one of those giant monolith balls you can roll around there. I thought about rolling one of those to a portal to see if anything would happen.

Does the datamining confirm that there is no way to activate the portals or that they just have not been activated yet?...

I've had the same idea. Did you find a portal relatively close by to the ruins? The datamining only supposedly confirmed that there's no flag for activating the portals as there are with other tech. But who knows if they've been checking every patch. 1.07 was over 600MB, which is about as big as the install sans music I think.

MaxiLive

Can you get a scanner upgrades? When I scan it seems to miss a lot of valuable stuff which is fine I don't mind hunting a bit but when a cave is pitch black it would be nice for them to be highlighted. I've used the torch but half the time that randomly stops working for me and won't activate again, I'm not sure if that is a bug or something else?

Aenima

Can you get a scanner upgrades? When I scan it seems to miss a lot of valuable stuff which is fine I don't mind hunting a bit but when a cave is pitch black it would be nice for them to be highlighted. I've used the torch but half the time that randomly stops working for me and won't activate again, I'm not sure if that is a bug or something else?

Yes u can get 2 scanner upgrades i think, that will increase alot the scan distance.

Slay

Warp reactor FULLY CHARGED
Thank you too, i've reached the center of the Galaxy.

And i left with the feeling that i did something wrong, and i didn't got to see the real ending, instead the game pushed me back to square one, only this time on a different galaxy.

If you've reached the Center, what do you felt?

I don't think they've made the player smaller; I was just looking in a building and the multitool terminal is still eye height and the Gek in there was much smaller than me. The plants I saw are just really really big.

I've had the same idea. Did you find a portal relatively close by to the ruins? The datamining only supposedly confirmed that there's no flag for activating the portals as there are with other tech. But who knows if they've been checking every patch. 1.07 was over 600MB, which is about as big as the install sans music I think.
I wasnt able to find a portal anywhere near it. The next time I see a portal I'm going to search the area and see if I can find one of those balls again. Just seems strange to have these giant monolith balls you can roll around for no reason.

Yes, Now when I scan I see knowledge stones all over the damned place, sometimes they are quite far and yet my scanner can see them. (Make sure all your similar upgrades are touching each other, they seem to give bonuses.

Aenima

Thank you too, i've reached the center of the Galaxy.

And i left with the feeling that i did something wrong, and i didn't got to see the real ending, instead the game pushed me back to square one, only this time on a different galaxy.

If you've reached the Center, what do you felt?

You did nothing wrong, thats what is suposed to happen.

What did i felt? Was exactly what i was expecting to happen and i didnt saw any spoilers. But
since i knew there was more than 1 galaxy, thats was my guess that the center was just a door to a new galaxy

Top Bottom