• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

mokeyjoe

Ugh, just went in that refund thread. Never again.

Barring a few cosmetic differences (binary systems, ringed planets, proper Tatooine desert planets) - I totally bought the game I was expecting. Not sure what everyone else was smoking.

Not wanting to start something here, but what in particular about that first trailer is so different. I watched it again a little while ago for the first time in ages. He starts in a cave, looks at some dinosaurs on a foresty planet, flies up and shoots at a freighter, goes down to a barren planet and dogfights a little and lands. I mean it's all smooshed together and more quick and slick being a trailer, but what is the primary point of contention from that trailer in particular? I haven't seen animals wading in the water, but everything else is there, it seems pretty tame.

Trying to do the Gek tower exploit before I load 1.07, and I keep getting ruins.

Orange light upload tower > "Transmission" option > Keep doing it until a "Transmission Tower" pops up. Then go there and interact with the terminal inside. If you're getting Ruins, you're at an observatory, not a Transmission tower.

E92 M3

Ugh, just went in that refund thread. Never again.

Barring a few cosmetic differences (binary systems, ringed planets, proper Tatooine desert planets) - I totally bought the game I was expecting. Not sure what everyone else was smoking.

Same here and also extreme weather like tornadoes. Also miss planetary rotation and planet sized planets - even though they are already huge.

Same here and also extreme weather like tornadoes. Also miss planetary rotation and planet sized planets - even though they are already huge.

Has anyone tried the unpatched version on disc? The day one patch removed planetary rotation so wouldn't it still be in that on disc version?

Has anyone tried the unpatched version on disc? The day one patch removed planetary rotation so wouldn't it still be in that on disc version?

Wondered this myself. Although the 1.03 patch says it reduces rotation further when it in fact stops all rotation. I think there was no rotation and they just changed the speed that the star skybox goes across the sky.

carlos

Is it me or is finding all the animals really, really tough?
Only been able to do it once in about 20 planets. Now that t hey patched the 0 animal 100 percent upload, i guess I wont come close to the galapagos trophy.
They owe me 300,000 since i cant get a payout for that one planet i maxed out :(

Havent found a single planet with extreme weather in those 20 plus ones i have gone to.

Had 3 crashes in about 15 hours but no data loss, i dont get the whining since there are so many autosaves going on, unless all your traveling is on foot, I guess.

Ran into a system that had 2 other explorers, one of them even named a planet "YOU STOLE MY PLANETS" lol

Aenima

To be fair, completing the Atlas Path has a pretty useful perk where you can detect systems with a Black Hole in them from the system selection screen. Now.. if only Black Holes were more useful than a fully upgraded warp drive.

Yeah, i use them all the time when i want to move closer to the center. Even braking the upgrades is the best way for me to move faster.

somme

Tornadoes would be cool. I'm not missing them at the moment but wouldn't say no! I do love the desert storm/smoke effect seen on more barren planets. Looks very cool.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So what are the largest "space battles" and freighters people are seeing? I entered my first class B system last night and warped right into a fleet of freighters, one the size of what I could only describe as a super star destroyer. It was huge. There were 15-20 fighters attacking it. It looked amazing.

The size of the big ship was huge. I took a couple of screenshots all the way back at the nearest space station, and I still couldn't capture all of it in frame.

The PC mods really make this game better. I enjoy the faster actions mod, the free flying mod, the graphical enhancements, varied terrain, and larger animals. There is something neat about having giant animals wondering around as you fly into the planet.

I am still waiting for a better inventory management, and a stacking crafting system. I would prefer to craft a ton of bypass chips at once to sell. It is ridiculous that I can't just select how many I want to craft based on my current inventory.

Is it me or is finding all the animals really, really tough?
Only been able to do it once in about 20 planets. Now that t hey patched the 0 animal 100 percent upload, i guess I wont come close to the galapagos trophy.
They owe me 300,000 since i cant get a payout for that one planet i maxed out :(

Same here, spent 4 hours on a planet today and could not find the last two creatures... Wtf

So what are the largest "space battles" and freighters people are seeing? I entered my first class B system last night and warped right into a fleet of freighters, one the size of what I could only describe as a super star destroyer. It was huge. There were 15-20 fighters attacking it. It looked amazing.

The size of the big ship was huge. I took a couple of screenshots all the way back at the nearest space station, and I still couldn't capture all of it in frame.

I've taken out upwards of 30 pirates a few times. They love swarming around those freighters. Not attacking them, just swarming.

Aenima

Today i got attacked from the back by pirates heading for the freighters so i decided to kill some pirates, after i killed 3 or 4 i notice the message "27 pirate ships left" and i bailed out lol.

Orange light upload tower > "Transmission" option > Keep doing it until a "Transmission Tower" pops up. Then go there and interact with the terminal inside. If you're getting Ruins, you're at an observatory, not a Transmission tower.

It was telling me transmission tower, but giving me ruins. When I started getting ships at an actual observatory, it would still occasionally mix in a couple other things. It was weird.

Raist

Banned
This game, man.

Another planet with a decent amount of water...

Not sure why I never thought of taken screens during the beacon thing before. Can look pretty cool.
nomanssky_20160829013d8s9c.png

NAILED IT

If anyone wants some Nickel and Heridium, head to 02AD:0081:0408:00E0

Wut. Their "eyes" (?) were pulsating, too. Never seen anything remotely close to that before.

Nope.

Finished with a bit of land exploration again.

Tried to get that sentinel roughly at the same distance than that "tree", for scale. I've seen these before, just smaller.

So what are the largest "space battles" and freighters people are seeing?

34, I think. 30+ for sure multiple times. It slowly ramped up every time I got into one of these, but at some point I warped fairly far away and it went back down. I wonder if it's random or if some regions are busier than others.

Kilau

So I can't seem to find my starting system/planet even though I've only warped twice.

Is it possible to find more atlas stones? I was hoping to go back to the original crash site.

Danlord

Installed 1.07 on PS4.

I cannot find the final creature to get my Silver trophy for 100% zoology discovered. I have honestly been around this same moon for well over 6 hours (Mostly looking for creature but finding knowledge stones, mining Emeril and getting Drop Pods was a small portion)

I honestly think its bugged but I just need 1 creature to scan, get 275k and my Silver trophy and I don't know if I should leave this moon and attempt another planet/moon. It is so frustrating this game yet I am hooked for hours on end. I really, really, hope Hello Games can really turn this game around.

Overall, I am disappointed with what we got in the end, knowing it has a lot of shortcomings to what was said and even shown at times, but I do hold out the hope that the future Content Updates really turn it around. Base Building and Freighter ownership is very big, not to mention Temporal AA and improved Cloud Rendering tech which is pretty sweet.

Muzicfreq

Banned
i didn't realize you could get refunds through playstation. apparently shahid kamal considers it thieving if it's over 50 hours

https://games.slashdot.org/story/16...nds-sonys-content-director-calls-them-thieves
Kinda is being a thief
Would be like borrowing a copy of any game, playing it and possibly beating the game and then giving it back

In person if a friend or family does this it is fine since someone actually paid for the game

Now another example would be a guy who buys a movie watches it lets say.... 20 times in the course of a week then demands a refund
Essentially the guy stole the movie in a way. He got his entertainment and watched it many times then got bored and decided no he now doesn't like it.

I bought Elite Dangerous thinking it would be awesome to fly through space... After 40+ hours I found I hated the game
I am still keeping it and not demanding a refund since I really did enjoy it for some time and have paaid for my time in it.

Raist

Banned
So I can't seem to find my starting system/planet even though I've only warped twice.

Is it possible to find more atlas stones? I was hoping to go back to the original crash site.

On the galactic map, press UP on the dpad. It will scan for discoveries. Just let it do that for a bit, it does take some time. It cycles through nearest systems discovered, including yours. Since you warped only twice, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Yes, you can get more stones. Good luck finding your crash site again, though.

Shaneus

God damn, I wish I subbed to this thread before reading about all the glitches that are getting patched! Thankfully I'm still quite early on in the game, so hopefully they won't make much of a difference.

Very cool reading through too, glad spoilers are spoilered :)

Does running seem faster now?
You can run? I've been walking like a sucker right up until a night or two ago when my brother (PC version owner) told me about the melee/jetpack trick.

I agree No one can tell me 50 hours in a single player game, you didn't get your money's worth. No way I'd return a game after 50 hours played.

What if your game was running fine up until the 50 hour mark, then all of a sudden it became an unplayable mess? You couldn't continue or ever finish the game?

That was the scenario that is being referred to. Much like the PS3 Skyrim debacle. The problem developed later on in the game.

Shaneus

Wondered this myself. Although the 1.03 patch says it reduces rotation further when it in fact stops all rotation. I think there was no rotation and they just changed the speed that the star skybox goes across the sky.
Would that skybox also include any major light sources, like a sun? Only yesterday I saw the shadow of a building crawl across the ground.

I agree No one can tell me 50 hours in a single player game, you didn't get your money's worth. No way I'd return a game after 50 hours played.

Hey, no one can tell me 5 hours of NMS wasn't enough to see everything it had to offer. It's fine to judge others but I'd be the first to admit that the only reason I spent any real time with it was because I was depressed at the time and needed a repetitive task.

i didn't realize you could get refunds through playstation. apparently shahid kamal considers it thieving if it's over 50 hours

https://games.slashdot.org/story/16...nds-sonys-content-director-calls-them-thieves

I don't agree with him. If I buy a new TV but after 50 hours it stops working and I choose to return it, am I a thief?

He didn't ask for the refund because he was lied to about the game, he asked for a refund because after those hours kept giving him errors on his ps4.

I know Sahid worked closely with NMS so this is probably personal for him but he's in the wrong about this and makes him look bad. If he still worked for Sony, they would have let him go after a response like that.

mokeyjoe

Lol, couldnt find any attackers. Just took on some freighters myself, gutted 3 or 4 killed all the sentinel ships and killed their capital ship too, which reset my rating. Started shooting more freighters and then went to duck down to a planet and the game froze :p

Raist

Banned
Lol, couldnt find any attackers. Just took on some freighters myself, gutted 3 or 4 killed all the sentinel ships and killed their capital ship too, which reset my rating. Started shooting more freighters and then went to duck down to a planet and the game froze :p

Damn. I have to give it another try.

Tried once after about 10h or so with the starting ship. It did not end well.

You know I wonder if a Ringed Planets are in the game but there as a Easter Egg and are extremely rare to come across? or was this proven yet to be something that is impossible to find in the game? sorry for the odd stupid question, just wondering.

Bold One

Boy, it sure would be great if we stayed on topic, anyway is this the ideal podcast game or what.

I've put in a lot hours into this and only discovered 2 wrecked ship.

How do I spot Gek planets nd claim more ships?

Are the portals working yet?

The largest i've seen was 35 pirates vs 6 trades ships.

There might be more scénarios depending on your wanted level or if you took part in some before. In my experience , the number of ships keep increasing . My first big battle was with only 12 pirate ships VS 2 trade ships

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I've seen on reddit the following things:

1. Portals do spawn on every planet, but are by far the rarest kind of structure.

2. There's a data mined list of functions that get activated/unlocked, and portals are the only thing without an entry in the list.

Therefore it seems they are, at the moment, non functional.

Boy, it sure would be great if we stayed on topic, anyway is this the ideal podcast game or what.

I've put in a lot hours into this and only discovered 2 wrecked ship.

How do I spot Gek planets nd claim more ships?

I've been watching this guy streaming his attempts at getting a portal activated. I think it's futile but it's interesting to see people's ideas coming in.

Wut. Their "eyes" (?) were pulsating, too. Never seen anything remotely close to that before.

Very cool. This reminds me of how Sean described galaxy progression pre-release. He said, along with the landscape, that animals would start out looking like earth animals, but would get more and more alien-looking as you progressed towards the center. Once they nixed the whole weirder-towards-the-center progression system and just randomized the proc gen in seemingly equal distribution, I assumed that we'd be seeing really strange alien creatures, just as we're seeing floating islands and whatnot. But (edit: although I've seen really strange and wacky creatures) I haven't really seen many creatures that don't look like they were procedurally generated from earth creature base models. Perhaps I misunderstood him and what he meant was that the proc gen would just tweak the models in extreme ways. I mean you could say your creature there started out as a shrimp model, but it's been so altered it's almost unrecognizable as anything.

mokeyjoe

Damn. I have to give it another try.

Tried once after about 10h or so with the starting ship. It did not end well.

I haven't upgraded my ship in ages. It's only 25 slots but I just like the way it looks. Space combat is dead easy with decent photon canons.

I'd never actually seen a sentinel capital ship before. I like the way they release fighters, it looks pretty cool.

Speely

Banned
Not sure why HG would release a game and not "activate" certain parts... Really seems odd to me.

It is possible that certain events and/or certain criteria have to be met and no one has met them yet. I feel that things like portals could easily be handled like that. Then again it also seems weird to make them so hard to activate, but it's a possibility. I would like to think they aren't there for no reason.

If they DID end up being so mysterious as to elude players for weeks yet still be relevant, that would actually be pretty cool.

mokeyjoe

I think it's more that the mechanics aren't in place yet. They could be 'activated' via an update.

I kind of get the impression that Hello aren't the most organised bunch and probably have about 10 things on the go at once at various levels of completion.

Top Bottom