• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This should be the case for everything; shields, hazard protection, guns, engines, etc. I didn't install three layers of thermal protection just so I could add Zinc to three different menu items instead of one. Let us set up priorities of what gets used to recharge things first (don't burn through Zinc if I have Shielding Shards in inventory, for example) and then just let it do it on its own. The constant micromanagement of maintenance tasks that could be easily offloaded to an automated system in the event of actual space exploration just seems silly. It's like imagining Neil Armstrong going, "One small step for man... hold on, just need to shove some crystals in my breathing apparatus here."
My problem with that is that you'd lose track of how much you have left. And you use the resources for other things. Plus hazard protection regenerates. So I'd hate to recharge when I can just get under cover.

And also, do you think it's silly that we feed processed fossil liquid into cars? Do you hate gas cans? Devices have limited tanks that need to refuel. And Neil Armstrong had to go back into his pod to replace oxygen to breathe. I bet he'd have LOVED to have been able to use materials found on the moon and have his suit process it into keeping life support going.

I'm not saying auto loading is a horrible option I just think the tactic of trying to make fun of limited fuel tanks by saying stuff like "I need to shove crystals into my breathing apparatus" is cheap and ignores that many homes are powered by chunks of carbon. So a suit that not only runs on a variety of radioactive material, but can process it right there is amazing and awesome! The world would kill for that, and you're making fun of it.

Skyzard

Banned
I think if he addresses it in a way that people would respect for honesty...he'd get his ass sued. Unless he blames it all on Sony, who helped make him a millionaire.

My problem with that is that you'd lose track of how much you have left. And you use the resources for other things. Plus hazard protection regenerates. So I'd hate to recharge when I can just get under cover.

And also, do you think it's silly that we feed processed fossil liquid into cars? Do you hate gas cans? Devices have limited tanks that need to refuel. And Neil Armstrong had to go back into his pod to replace oxygen to breathe. I bet he'd have LOVED to have been able to use materials found on the moon and have his suit process it into keeping life support going.

I'm not saying auto loading is a horrible option I just think the tactic of trying to make fun of limited fuel tanks by saying stuff like "I need to shove crystals into my breathing apparatus" is cheap and ignores that many homes are powered by chunks of carbon. So a suit that not only runs on a variety of radioactive material, but can process it right there is amazing and awesome! The world would kill for that, and you're making fun of it.

Han Solo wasn't feeding materials into the Millenium Falcon so the shields would work. The shields could take a certain amount of beating and then they were out. This is how the Star Wars flight sim games worked too (the shields recharged automatically), and how most spaceship sims have worked.

This is a sci-fantasy game. With a focus on the fantasy part. It's supposed to be about having amazing adventures, not getting caught up in mundane tasks like putting coal in the steam locomotive to keep it moving. Resource management in realtime while you're fighting enemies is just a bad design decision. It's like an RPG that is realtime-with-pause, but without the pause. Fumbling around in menus and hoping you don't get killed before you can click on the right UI widget.

There are certainly ways to solve your problems with auto-loading. Being able to flag types of resources as off-limits to use, and as Atomic Playboy mentioned being able to set up tiers of usage (though that could make for a fiddly UI). Being able to set a threshold for when it recharges. Or even a brute-force option to turn off auto-recharging completely, for those masochists out there that love fighting with the UI in dangerous situations.

Han Solo wasn't feeding materials into the Millenium Falcon so the shields would work. The shields could take a certain amount of beating and then they were out. This is how the Star Wars flight sim games worked too (the shields recharged automatically), and how most spaceship sims have worked.

This is a sci-fantasy game. With a focus on the fantasy part. It's supposed to be about having amazing adventures, not getting caught up in mundane tasks like putting coal in the steam locomotive to keep it moving. Resource management in realtime while you're fighting enemies is just a bad design decision. It's like an RPG that is realtime-with-pause, but without the pause. Fumbling around in menus and hoping you don't get killed before you can click on the right UI widget.

There are certainly ways to solve your problems with auto-loading. Being able to flag types of resources as off-limits to use, and as Atomic Playboy mentioned being able to set up tiers of usage (though that could make for a fiddly UI). Being able to set a threshold for when it recharges. Or even a brute-force option to turn off auto-recharging completely, for those masochists out there that love fighting with the UI in dangerous situations.

This is a resource management survival game in a scifi-setting. You got it backwards.

Galactic Fork

And the shields were powered by the ship's power supply which needed fuel to eventually needed to be fed into the system. And are you suggesting that if he could instantly repower his shield's, he wouldn't? And how is it different than attacks damaging the shields and needing materials to print a new part? Instant recharging if you have the materials is much more convenient than going around shieldless waiting for shields to repower.

Loudninja

This week expect at least one more major update, which will enter testing on Wednesday. Once all our support requests have been answered then we can begin improving the game with new features :)

All the recent patch notes.
Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues
  • Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
  • Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point

Getting Stuck in the world
  • It was possible for players to save their game stuck under the terrain, leaving them stuck. This was caused by getting shot down in atmosphere, and their ship reaching ridiculous speeds as it crashed to the planet. This has been resolved.
  • Whilst it won’t happen anymore, if you are currently already stuck under the world, we detect this and do our best to rescue you.
  • Fixed a couple of other low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
  • A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.

Gameplay
  • Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
  • Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as “already known” when they weren’t actually known.
  • Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn’t, this has been fixed now.
  • It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
  • There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
  • Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.
Save / Load
  • Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.
Crash Fixes
  • Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.

Tweaks and Improvements
  • It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
  • Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
  • Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
  • The ‘You have unredeemed items’ message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
  • Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
  • Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
  • Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
  • Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
  • Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
  • Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now work correctly (mutes the VO also).
  • If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
  • Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
  • Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).

Crash after warping
  • Occasionally at random the game would lock up after a warp. This was due to very specific timing in hardware (a threading specific bug) – meaning that unfortunately for some people it was regular, and for others they would never be able to recreate it. This was our most reported crash during gameplay, and has now been resolved.

Game failing to save until you died
  • If the player died, and then loaded the game ten times without saving, and then died, player progress wouldn’t be saved from then on until you died again. This is fixed now! This was also causing player’s saves to grow in size.
Crash fixes in scanning
  • Quite a rare crash, but in certain scenarios it was possible to scan from space or on planet and crash the game.

Crash warping inside a freighter
  • When warping into a battle sometimes the player warped into the inside of a freighter and everything went crazy :( – This is fixed now.

Stranded in Space Station
  • If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.

Loading Corrupted Save Files
  • Some players have corrupted save files, we’ve been working with them to still load saves even if they are corrupted (this can happen for many reasons outside of the games control). This fix has allowed many players to still load their save even if they have become corrupt.
Crash fixes for next three most commonly reported issues:
  • As the player gathers a huge amount of discoveries, there was a threading issue that becomes more prevalent the more discoveries you have, and could cause the game to crash.
  • If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
  • Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming)

Overall these fixes should remedy around 80% of our current support requests. We’re working on the next 20% right now. If you are still experiencing issues please do click the support button on http://www.no-mans-sky.com/
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/ps4-patch-notes-1-07/

This is a resource management survival game in a scifi-setting. You got it backwards.

It's resource management + survival + combat. The first part is fine, but should never get in the way of the other two tentpoles. When it does, it's a design flaw.

And the shields were powered by the ship's power supply which needed fuel to eventually needed to be fed into the system. And are you suggesting that if he could instantly repower his shield's, he wouldn't? And how is it different than attacks damaging the shields and needing materials to print a new part? Instant recharging if you have the materials is much more convenient than going around shieldless waiting for shields to repower.

Honestly I don't understand what you're trying to say here? I am advocating for removing the need for a consumable resource for the shields, but the next best thing would be auto-recharging shields using available inventory items.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, but Han Solo still had to 'maintain' the Falcon. I kind of see it as shorthand for that. Like you're not actually feeding animals raw carbon, you're feeding them plants (which are carbon).

As far as auto charging, I agree I found that initially awkward, but I haven't had to charge my shields on combat for so long now it's no longer an issue for me, so I don't see it as more than a niggle that goes away once you get any distance into the game.

What I would say regarding that is that space combat is way too easy, and that is pretty much the only reason clunky shield charging isn't an issue. So harder combat, with better systems maintenance (and maybe more systems, like missiles etc) would be welcome.

Yeah, but Han Solo still had to 'maintain' the Falcon. I kind of see it as shorthand for that. Like you're not actually feeding animals raw carbon, you're feeding them plants (which are carbon).

As far as auto charging, I agree I found that initially awkward, but I haven't had to charge my shields on combat for so long now it's no longer an issue for me, so I don't see it as more than a niggle that goes away once you get any distance into the game.

What I would say regarding that is that space combat is way too easy, and that is pretty much the only reason clunky shield charging isn't an issue. So harder combat, with better systems maintenance (and maybe more systems, like missiles etc) would be welcome.

Yeah, but Han wasn't winding the crank for the shields in the middle of a fight. Fixing the hyperdrive on the other hand...

I agree with your other points, and in terms of "fixing" ship combat it's lower on the list. Missiles would be a good addition I agree, and surprising it's not in there due to NMS's roots in the original Elite game.

shouldn't assume all clear liquid is water
The game does though: "extreme water temperature detected" ;)

But yeah you can create a headcanon for it being other elements.
I've had -80 °C water. .. it's kinda broken anyway as even hot planets can have water in the low freezing degrees.

Galactic Fork

It's resource management + survival + combat. The first part is fine, but should never get in the way of the other two tentpoles. When it does, it's a design flaw.

Honestly I don't understand what you're trying to say here? I am advocating for removing the need for a consumable resource for the shields, but the next best thing would be auto-recharging shields using available inventory items.
I'm talking about your notion that "feeding" materials into the ship is some kind of ridiculous thing. And then suggesting it's unsci-fi. As if Han Solo never had to refuel, or ever had to go through the tedium of keeping his ship systems working while being fired upon. It's how things work. Nothing has unlimited fuel. And machines have limited tanks to hold fuel. So you will have to refuel eventually. Being able to use raw materials in your stock actually makes things incredibly easy. If you can't handle one menu to instantly recharge shields, you must hate any space game with damage management, or adjusting power to one system over another which is essentially what's going on here though incredibly simplistic. The way you want it means you can have 6 blocks of titanium in your inventory and NEVER have to worry about taking damage. Now, I'd love to be able to do it with a menu as part of the ship's hud instead of inventory, because you lose all control at that point.

Yeah, but Han wasn't winding the crank for the shields in the middle of a fight. Fixing the hyperdrive on the other hand...

I agree with your other points, and in terms of "fixing" ship combat it's lower on the list. Missiles would be a good addition I agree, and surprising it's not in there due to NMS's roots in the original Elite game.

Refilling your shields mid flight takes about as much time and as much of your attention away from the task at hand as fiddling with controls to reroute power to the shields would in a TV show or movie... it only takes a couple of seconds.

The way I see it, those resources in your inventory are power reserves that you can tap to reroute power when your shields are failing.

Not liking a design doesn't make it flawed, it just means you don't like it.

This game has flaws in spades, this isn't one of them.

mokeyjoe

True but my experience with Elite (which is a long time ago, haven't played the new one) is that missiles were pretty much necessarily as combat basically involved following a blip around the screen and firing off some sort of homing missile. It wasn't the sort of Star Warsy dogfighting that NMS is going for, which is mostly laser based. I don't know missiles would be that useful, or just make it easier. Mind you if you had missiles coming at you that would be interesting.

Shaneus

I think if he addresses it in a way that people would respect for honesty...he'd get his ass sued. Unless he blames it all on Sony, who helped make him a millionaire.
Exactly. People asking for unbridled honesty and a confession I don't think understand there could be other reasons for Sean's silence other than he's a lying sack of horseshit who couldn't be more cowardly if he tried.

As it is, a tiny percentage of game owners are kicking up a stink about this. He's probably looking at the numbers for refunds vs. the number of players in-game and worked out it's not worth risking saying anything that could put him in legal trouble.

Exactly. People asking for unbridled honesty and a confession I don't think understand there could be other reasons for Sean's silence other than he's a lying sack of horseshit who couldn't be more cowardly if he tried.

I guess it was only a matter of time until this garbage hit the OT.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Very frustrating - and a great tactic for pissing off people looking for closure/conflict: Not saying a word...until people calm down.

There is literally nothing he can say that will appease those who are most angry and those who insist this is Aliens: Colonial Marines the second coming. The only statements that he needs to make now, are strictly about improvements and patches and that needs to be one way.

At some point, I'd like him to discuss how....this became what it was, but I think a lot of people need some emotional distance from it and I think NMS may be a much better game in a few months.

OuterLimits

The game does though: "extreme water temperature detected" ;)

But yeah you can create a headcanon for it being other elements.
I've had -80 °C water. .. it's kinda broken anyway as even hot planets can have water in the low freezing degrees.

Yeah, perhaps if it said "extreme liquid temperature detected", it would make more sense.

I get that we can pretend that it's obviously other elements that can be the liquid. Easy to do on a planet with red colored liquid on it.

However, it would be neat if ice existed on a more Arctic Earth like looking planet with snow and blizzards.

Granted, obviously many things don't make sense in the game, which is fine. That is part of the fun in a way.

?? I fail to see the point . Shields can take a certain amount of beating before being out of commission. That value varies according to your installed upgrades.
There comes a point in the game where you don't even have to worry about your shield in battle and only recharge it after it's over.

If you want auto recharge for shields , i'm not against it .. but it should be an upgrade , an option , not a requirement. recharging my shields takes less than 2 secs and i can easily do that in battle without any issue.

Shaneus

I guess it was only a matter of time until this garbage hit the OT.
FWIW, in case it was misinterpreted my post was openly mocking those who have been hyperbolic in their name-calling of SM in relation to refunds etc. I personally have no problem with the guy, and even if I did, certainly wouldn't resort to some of the stuff that's being directed his way.

Figured my post was so over the top that it had to be seen as mocking in tone. Guess I didn't go far enough :/

Razgreez

First time on a "blasted atmosphere" planet. Didn't realise it basically meant no atmosphere I.e ridiculously hot during the day and ridiculously cold at night.

mokeyjoe

FWIW, in case it was misinterpreted my post was openly mocking those who have been hyperbolic in their name-calling of SM in relation to refunds etc. I personally have no problem with the guy, and even if I did, certainly wouldn't resort to some of the stuff that's being directed his way.

Figured my post was so over the top that it had to be seen as mocking in tone. Guess I didn't go far enough :/

Lol, Poe's Law in action.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Grass and trees in a cave
Sorry it took super long to share this
29318832526_a6a5fa3fef_o.png

28729057734_0b2257bb4f_o.png

29318833026_c7fff3c1f8_o.png

Got an endearingly ugly 48-slot ship today, and just like that I hit the wall. I now have almost no reason to ever land on a planet again, which means I now just burn through systems and barely even remember to name them on my way out. This seems like a good time to get the Atlas path done and then keep going to the center, but it won't be too long before I manage to cross the final two milestone categories off my list and claim 100% achievements on Steam. It's also suddenly very hard to stay motivated.

I think the problem that'll stick with me longest when I look back on this game is pacing. It gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever the hell you want whenever you want, but it also means it's far too easy to burn through some parts of the game long before others. Like, I probably shouldn't have maxed out my ship, exosuit and multi-tool before I hit the third Atlas interface.

Grass and trees in a cave
Sorry it took super long to share this

Nice! Never encountered flora beyond shrooms and some luminous plants in caves, is this due to one of the recent patches or something some of you have encountered with some frequency already? Thanks for sharing those.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Nice! Never encountered flora beyond shrooms and some luminous plants in caves, is this due to one of the recent patches or something some of you have encountered with some frequency already? Thanks for sharing those.

This is extremely rare and happened before the recent patch.

Taking an occasional glance at those threads feels like staring into a cesspool of human vitriol. I can understand why people might just be bracing for some of that to spill over.

It's really refreshing to see that others like myself are really enjoying the game. I hope the OTs and photo threads maintain that vibe for as long as possible.

Galactic Fork

Got an endearingly ugly 48-slot ship today, and just like that I hit the wall. I now have almost no reason to ever land on a planet again, which means I now just burn through systems and barely even remember to name them on my way out. This seems like a good time to get the Atlas path done and then keep going to the center, but it won't be too long before I manage to cross the final two milestone categories off my list and claim 100% achievements on Steam. It's also suddenly very hard to stay motivated.

I think the problem that'll stick with me longest when I look back on this game is pacing. It gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever the hell you want whenever you want, but it also means it's far too easy to burn through some parts of the game long before others. Like, I probably shouldn't have maxed out my ship, exosuit and multi-tool before I hit the third Atlas interface.
Yeah, totally agree. And they put SO MANY things on each planet. You can max everything in one system. We already have scanners! Let us use them. Make buildings and ruins rare and have ship scanners upgradable to find items from farther away. Like the suit's scanner. The first time I found a ruin it was glorius. I'd never seen them and had no idea they were in the game and I stumbled across a broken bridge tower ruin thingie (didn't know about observatories). But then there were tons more and a way to be pointed to them. Just cheapened it. Plus it was just a glorified language stone. Imagine if only a small percentage had any ruins? And if there would have been a bigger variety with different levels of age. They could have replaced that with the trainwreck of an NPC system and I'd love the game tons more.

As if Han Solo never had to refuel, or ever had to go through the tedium of keeping his ship systems working while being fired upon. It's how things work. Nothing has unlimited fuel. And machines have limited tanks to hold fuel. So you will have to refuel eventually. Being able to use raw materials in your stock actually makes things incredibly easy. If you can't handle one menu to instantly recharge shields, you must hate any space game with damage management, or adjusting power to one system over another which is essentially what's going on here though incredibly simplistic.

Han Solo refueled when he happened to be at a base. But it wasn't important from a narrative POV. I don't remember Luke looking for some Thymium-9 or Plutonium on Dagobah so he could get his X-Wing out of there. How the ship is powered in sci-fantasy is unimportant compared to hard sci-fi. And this game is definitely not sci-fi, as it has almost no grounding in real physics or science. I'm not saying all recharging is bad; you need that resource tension to make survival work as a threat. But this game is a bit recharge crazy right now. For instance having every hazard protection upgrade having it's own consumable resource. That level of micromanagement is not fun, not to me anyway.

I've been playing space sim games for 20 years. I'm well familiar with shield and power management. But NMS is unique in tying crafting to shield strength. I don't like it, but if I have to bear the crafting link, it should at least have a serviceable UI for me to do so, and preferably just have a system to auto-recharge.

Refilling your shields mid flight takes about as much time and as much of your attention away from the task at hand as fiddling with controls to reroute power to the shields would in a TV show or movie... it only takes a couple of seconds.

The way I see it, those resources in your inventory are power reserves that you can tap to reroute power when your shields are failing.

Not liking a design doesn't make it flawed, it just means you don't like it.

This game has flaws in spades, this isn't one of them.

Could not disagree with you more, but opinions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Any proper combat aircraft is not designed to take your concentration away from the task at hand.

If NMS's way to combining real-time combat with an inventory screen straight out of a western RPG was a good idea, plenty of RPGs would already be doing this. But those devs realized that people want to fight enemies, not the UI, and so they provide a pause button to take actions in the UI. The recharge mechanism in NMS is a huge design flaw.

If you want auto recharge for shields , i'm not against it .. but it should be an upgrade , an option , not a requirement. recharging my shields takes less than 2 secs and i can easily do that in battle without any issue.

Two seconds to recharge your shield? Either you're a virtual mouse wizard or you're playing the PC version.

OuterLimits

Taking an occasional glance at those threads feels like staring into a cesspool of human vitriol. I can understand why people might just be bracing for some of that to spill over.

It's really refreshing to see that others like myself are really enjoying the game. I hope the OTs and photo threads maintain that vibe for as long as possible.

I have many issues with the game and think Sean was somewhat deceptive. However, I still think overall it's a good game and certainly has potential. I certainly am having a blast playing it.

I will be thrilled if the game continues to get support for the next year at least. It has a fantastic foundation to build upon and it would be a shame if it gets abandoned quickly.

I'm hoping Sean breaks his radio silence soon and gives us more info about the future of the game.

Two seconds to recharge your shield? Either you're a virtual mouse wizard or you're playing the PC version.

I play on PS4.. i've recharged my shield in the middle of battle plenty of times when i didn't have enough slots/upgrades. I don't see what takes so much times really. if you do it properly , you can recharge your shield in the amount of time an ennemy will circle your ship to attack again.

if you don't believe me i think i still have some videos evidence left on my hard drive

I play on PS4.. i've recharged my shield in the middle of battle plenty of times when i didn't have enough slots/upgrades. I don't see what takes so much times really. if you do it properly , you can recharge your shield in the amount of time an ennemy will circle your ship to attack again.

if you don't believe me i think i still have some videos evidence left on my hard drive

I don't disbelieve you, but it probably takes me 5+ seconds. And if I'm honest a bit more if ships or Sentinels are bombarding me with hits.

Galactic Fork

Han Solo refueled when he happened to be at a base. But it wasn't important from a narrative POV. I don't remember Luke looking for some Thymium-9 or Plutonium on Dagobah so he could get his X-Wing out of there. How the ship is powered in sci-fantasy is unimportant compared to hard sci-fi. And this game is definitely not sci-fi, as it has almost no grounding in real physics or science. I'm not saying all recharging is bad; you need that resource tension to make survival work as a threat. But this game is a bit recharge crazy right now. For instance having every hazard protection upgrade having it's own consumable resource. That level of micromanagement is not fun, not to me anyway.

I've been playing space sim games for 20 years. I'm well familiar with shield and power management. But NMS is unique in tying crafting to shield strength. I don't like it, but if I have to bear the crafting link, it should at least have a serviceable UI for me to do so, and preferably just have a system to auto-recharge.
1) I don't get how being able to easily collect fuel from anywhere is less convenient than needing to go to a station. Especially from a narrative standpoint.
2) Luke had grown up in a moisture farm. His whole life was collecting resources.
3) We aren't in that much of disagreement, I just thought you and the person I originally responded to put too much emphasis on the idea of refueling as if the concept was silly. Look at the Neil Armstrong statement for example.
4) Don't get me started on the Hazard upgrades. I just tossed them when I found out they didn't just make the hazard protection system better against that element. Easier to stay near my ship or blast a hole for shelter if I need to.

I don't disbelieve you, but it probably takes me 5+ seconds. And if I'm honest a bit more if ships or Sentinels are bombarding me with hits.

And you're taking critical damage so then you gotta repair a bunch of shit... Nah, I feel ya, I think the system is a little annoying and needs to be changed, I play on PC and last night I got that "middle of the battle oh shit shields down god dammit" fumbling because it's clunky as fuck. You should be able to dump a bunch of iron or whatever into a "subsystem" when on the ground that charges your shields in battle, something like that. It's not a good way to handle it, I get wanting to keep it tied into the crafting, but it makes the combat frustrating, not fun.

Could not disagree with you more, but opinions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Any proper combat aircraft is not designed to take your concentration away from the task at hand.

If NMS's way to combining real-time combat with an inventory screen straight out of a western RPG was a good idea, plenty of RPGs would already be doing this. But those devs realized that people want to fight enemies, not the UI, and so they provide a pause button to take actions in the UI. The recharge mechanism in NMS is a huge design flaw.

You aren't in a proper combat aircraft, you're flying this game's equivalent of the Millennium Falcon, not a fighter.

Also, this game isn't an RPG...

A design flaw is a mistake in a design, usually game breaking in some way... This is designed to be this way and functions correctly for what it is. It's not a design flaw, it's just how this game was designed to be. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you don't like it, but please stop calling it a design flaw.

This mechanic is what makes the combat in this game remotely interesting.

I suppose it would make more sense if you could play co-op so you have a co-pilot to handle these things, but you don't. You have to do it on your own. You have to do both Han and Chewie's jobs.

Think about The force Awakens when Chewie was injured and Han was trying to reach across the controls trying to fix shit. He wasn't able to pilot while doing that, he was just hoping to not get blown up while fiddling.

Did Han pause reality during that fight? That would cheapen the experience for me. But then, I also liked resource management in Zombi U, where time didn't stop just because you were looking in your bag...

Edit: I do play on PC, but with an Xbox 360 controller... I wonder if there's a curser speed difference or something... All you have to do it click the shield and hold X on a resource... It doesn't take long at all.

If you're dealing with critical damage from your shields being down, then you aren't paying attention to your shields and repairing them before they're gone.

I have many issues with the game and think Sean was somewhat deceptive. However, I still think overall it's a good game and certainly has potential. I certainly am having a blast playing it.

I will be thrilled if the game continues to get support for the next year at least. It has a fantastic foundation to build upon and it would be a shame if it gets abandoned quickly.

I'm hoping Sean breaks his radio silence soon and gives us more info about the future of the game.

Yeah, I worry the negativity will cut this game's life short. I'm appreciative that Sean is keeping quiet because it means he's learned his lesson. I think they were hit hard with this launch in both good and bad ways and I imagine they won't be the same developer afterwards. They're taking the correct approach, even if it is frustrating, because fixing the game is far more important than over-promising any timeframe regarding new content.

I'm excited to have this game sit in my PS4 for the next couple of years. The file size is smaller than even some indie titles, so it'll never be a burden, and I suspect by this time next year, most of us will feel our $60 were well spent. I do wish the game had been more fully-formed on launch, but I think in a weird way, Hello Games knew that maybe the best thing for No Man's Sky was to get it in the hands of real players; to find holes and problems, to ride the hype wave through a buggy launch and work to fix the problems they themselves couldn't figure out. It sounds shady, but I imagine Sean and friends could've spent three more years developing this game and they may have never come to the conclusions they've arrived at in these three weeks. Delaying the game further would only exacerbate the hype.

But I think it's time we forget the past and look forward. I think most of us in this thread have. The game is out, it wasn't what some of us hoped and that's okay because the promise of something better is there, and I think Hello Games will continue to work tirelessly to make No Man's Sky become a better game.

If you make yourself at least one of the max Shielding Shard things before going into space, you can refill your shield extremely quickly. You click the shield icon, the menu for what you want to refill it pops up, you select the shard. Done. I don't know about 2 seconds but it is VERY fast.

`Found a system wit 5 planets and a moon going to be there awhile!

I found a similar system last night before going to bed. I dropped down on the planet closest to the star and found a save point and logged off. I'll be spending some time there this evening. (I don't trust the autosave)

If anyone would like to check out my "project" I've been trying to keep up with in between actually playing and Earth life duties, here's a link to my "Observational Transmissions" from my galactic journey.

Some of these I didn't realize how little footage I had recorded because either I was too busy taking it in or tracking animals or just wanting to move on altogether. But no matter, there was still something about them I wanted to document, save and share.

I have a few more amazing planets with tons of footage I both can't wait to get to and don't look forward to lol.

No Man's Sky: Observational Transmissions: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A4N9CVqldmvuIZl2eTAAS164wgpYkrk

Edit: Just added number 8 so refresh I you don't see it.

G-Bus

Banned
Still not one fucking word from Sean concerning the games omitted features and horrible press it's getting right now. So frustrating.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/ps4-patch-notes-1-07/

Curious what you'd like him to say.

Would a simple apology suffice? Maybe get into some shit he legally cant talk about?

It's fun to speculate and all but you cant blame the guy for taking a step back after everything that has gone on. Heck, I'm really enjoying my time with the game but i find myself getting annoyed when I see people spouting all this crap about what was "promised" and hasn't appeared in the game. But then I jump back in and have some fun for an hour or two and life goes on.

Not trying to defend him or anything but lets be realistic here. Whats done is done.

Either something was a bit off in Hello Games generated the universe or I'm having a really weird run, but it seems to me like there's a better chance that a moon will be lush and full of life than planets. Anyone else notice this or is it just my corner of the galaxy?

Galactic Fork

I tend to like irradiated planets the most. Lots of yellows oranges and greens. Weird shaped plants. Really fun sights. I may be biased cause one was my first planet, and I spent the first 6 or so hours exploring it before repairing my launch thrusters. I usually keep the stock names for planets and animals, but I found this really neat one I was going to name Seuss Prime, but I hit enter instead of space aaaand now it's just named Seuss! So if you ever find planet Seuss, look for the Lorax... The planet is really neat and seussical.

Top Bottom