• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Raven77

The balance comes from the fact that I doubt I'm posting in this thread alone, and while I'm thrilled you guys are all on the positivity express train (and I have nothing against that) I don't think my opinion needs to be shunned because it doesn't correspond to your views. I did play this game, I have opinions and I'd like to express those.

And to humor you:

I liked flying between planets but I also disliked the eventual 50 second wait time when I was just planet hopping to see if the procedural thingy would ever do something really interesting.

I think you're missing their point. There is a review thread, a thread about all the stuff that sucks about the game, etc. and your opinions are probably better off posted there. If you don't like the game that is perfectly fine but you shouldn't constantly keep posting what you don't like about it in the OT as it would be a better subject to bring up persistently in something like the review thread.

14138213_10153841761884135_5209715126048950838_o.jpg

Looks like someone skipped leg day.

Surely this joke has been made already. I just couldn't help myself.

Lol.

Here have mine. He was huge too. Muahahaha!

IMG_20160817_042042.jpg

Yo that's awesome! Yeah I haven't come across something that large yet-- still, I've catalogued tons of really large creatures just nothing on that scale.

I like how that's getting closer to the variations we saw on some of their screenshots a month or two prior to launch which also look like they were an homage to Horizon: ZD.

Reminded me of The Goonies. I don't know if you can tell the scale here, but those cave ceilings felt like they were 80 feet tall. Not only that, but vortex cubes as far as the eye could see.

Massive caverns and deep canyons are some of my favorite features to come across while exploring. I love feeling small in this game while on planet.

Ever waited out a storm in your ship?

One of the first things I did because my starter planet was a toxic hell. Waking up on this strange world, hopping inside my broken ship and hearing the rain hit the glass as I wait out the storm... that left a really lasting and memorable impression on me.

vpance

Slowed down playing this. But mostly because I found a nice planet and am waiting to see what it'll look like on Neo / post AA patch. Hopefully base building will be in by then.

On another note, this game gives me ASMR chills. Leaving it on in the background and hearing all the environmental sfx is too relaxing. The sound guys deserve extra praise.

Your second point is hard to argue with. The concentration of asteroids to dumb the game down is a bummer. If someone runs out of warp pulse fuel and has to travel at impulse for 20 minutes, it's their own fault in my opinion. Having something interesting (unique) in each or every few systems wouldn't have hurt either. Something to actually explore for, which is what the game is supposed to be about.
I agree with your last point vehemently and it was my biggest issue with the game outside of the technical issues which I won't get into. I thought it was essentially disappointing that while the configuration changed the content never did. This applies for space and planets honestly. I entered outpost after outpost only to find blueprints I already had and aliens that prompted me with dialogue I had already read. I didn't need to learn the alien languages because I could just brute force the answers.

I never needed to leave the planet I was on because I could find virtually every single thing in the game on that one planet. I never needed to enter the outposts because I had all of the blueprints. I never needed to trade because I'd land on a planet filled with graviton balls every 2 warps. This game has everything everywhere and I kind of wished it had everything in different places so there was at least some sort of danger of running out of resources. Some sort of discovery apart from what neat but inconsequential thing the procedural planet generator did. I really did try looking but I found very little.

I think you're missing their point. There is a review thread, a thread about all the stuff that sucks about the game, etc. and your opinions are probably better off posted there. If you don't like the game that is perfectly fine but you shouldn't constantly keep posting what you don't like about it in the OT as it would be a better subject to bring up persistently in something like the review thread.

I can't talk about No Man's Sky in the official No Man's Sky topic? There's a thread about refunds which is for discussing the refund debacle. There is a thread for reviews which is for discussing reviews not posting your own review afaik. There's a variety of other threads that are clearly dead, this is the only thread for discussing No Man's Sky that isn't dead outside of the refund thread. I mean I'm not trying to shitpost or anything I'm just sharing my experiences and opinions and I apologize if they're not aligned with everyone else's but we're all different people.

Ever waited out a storm in your ship?

Definitely. Especially if I've done a solid park job overlooking a valley or ocean view. I could do it with my exosuit but I don't get any life support power low warning in my junker :)

It'd be great if more of the weather effects had some sort of noticeable report on your windows e.g. rain sloshing over them, washing out the visual a bit while stationary, etc... Just little additions like that which allow you to again, slow down and take in what a cool looking place you're in and forget about harvesting more resources for a bit, would be nice.

Nah I did that yesterday.

I'm sure you did. Honestly, more power to you. If this is an issue that moves you to act in drastic fashion like that, then that's cool I guess.

I never needed to leave the planet I was on because I could find virtually every single thing in the game on that one planet. I never needed to enter the outposts because I had all of the blueprints. I never needed to trade because I'd land on a planet filled with graviton balls every 2 warps. This game has everything everywhere and I kind of wished it had everything in different places so there was at least some sort of danger of running out of resources. Some sort of discovery apart from what neat but inconsequential thing the procedural planet generator did. I really did try looking but I found very little.

I can't talk about No Man's Sky in the official No Man's Sky topic? There's a thread about refunds which is for discussing the refund debacle. There is a thread for reviews which is for discussing reviews not posting your own review afaik. There's a variety of other threads that are clearly dead, this is the only thread for discussing No Man's Sky that isn't dead outside of the refund thread. I mean I'm not trying to shitpost or anything I'm just sharing my experiences and opinions and I apologize if they're not aligned with everyone else's but we're all different people.

I think people who can make their own goals and objectives are enjoying the game, despite the dearth of content. You seem to be someone who needs the constant objectives. And that's fine. More of those would be beneficial for everyone, and it would definitely make it feel like more of a traditional game. I've suggested dynamic missions be added, and think that kind of feature that adds objectives is more important than base building, which would really only satisfy people who are already fine with self-directed play.

So as far as I'm concerned you're certainly welcome to post feedback and opinions about game features here, as long as the tone is respectful and non-toxic. Your posts a couple pages back were borderline shitpost territory. So less of that, more actual useful discussion.

One of the first things I did because my starter planet was a toxic hell. Waking up on this strange world, hopping inside my broken ship and hearing the rain hit the glass as I wait out the storm... that left a really lasting and memorable impression on me.

Heh, same but it was my second start. My first start point was gorgeous green rolling plains with hills and craters. I then just wandered off on my own for 20 minutes, quit the game and realised i hadn't saved because i hadn't entered and left my ship or anything to trip an autosave. Every day is a school day! :)

Luckily the toxic shithole that it was had lots of Chrysonite and Emeril and drop pods. Result! I sure did learn how to keep everything topped up right from the off though because of it.

Also, 76 hours of it telling me i've got DLC to claim. Can i do that now or will i lose my 48 slot MIG? Does the game replace your current ship or just spawn it so i can strip it and abandon it?

Great video dude.
Awesome video man, anyone complaining that all the animals are the same need to watch this. Matches up with the variety of fauna I've seen.

Thanks ;-)

That was great. I don't slow down enough to appreciate that kind of thing. Now that I'm done the Atlas path, I may just make it a personal goal for a while to just look around for interesting life.

That's the way I play the game now. Got almost everything upgraded to the max, done the Atlas stuff and heading to the center enjoying what I see along the way and documenting/recording nice finds. At first I thought I was going to be burnt out on the game when I would be done with all the upgrading, but the opposite happened: I started to enjoy the game even more.

So as far as I'm concerned you're certainly welcome to post feedback and opinions about game features here, as long as the tone is respectful and non-toxic. Your posts a couple pages back were borderline shitpost territory. So less of that, more actual useful discussion.

Pretty much this. Posting screen caps of negative reviews with a "WOW!" can be interpreted as not much more than bait and shit posting and, quite frankly, there is enough of that going around in every other NMS thread. If you got issues with the game, talk about them, save that other stuff for the hate brigade bandwagon. I've been pretty open with my issues about the game in the OT but I also really enjoy the game, so its nice to have like-minded people around. Lets not let this devolve into another one of those threads.

Poetaster

Banned
Also, 76 hours of it telling me i've got DLC to claim. Can i do that now or will i lose my 48 slot MIG? Does the game replace your current ship or just spawn it so i can strip it and abandon it?
I'm pretty sure it just replaces your current ship. Maybe you could find any random crashed ship, switch to it, then redeem to keep your current ship. Sounds like it should work but I'm not 100% positive about it so you might want to look into it more.

I'm pretty sure it just replaces your current ship. Maybe you could find any random crashed ship, switch to it, then redeem to keep your current ship. Sounds like it should work but I'm not 100% positive about it so you might want to look into it more.

Thanks, i might backup my save and give that a whirl just in case it disappears my original ship or i might just put up with it as i don't really notice it if i'm honest. The Deflector Shield down alarm is more annoying and i've gone for 20 minutes with that going off lol!

Thanks, i might backup my save and give that a whirl just in case it disappears my original ship or i might just put up with it as i don't really notice it if i'm honest. The Deflector Shield down alarm is more annoying and i've gone for 20 minutes with that going off lol!

I feel ya. I've been scared to pull the trigger because of that reason too. Though I only have a 23-slotter so far, so I was going to try it once I've found my next junker via crashed ships and am ready to make the change anyway, so it wouldn't be this huge loss.

Poetaster

Banned
That sound was the worst part about farming crashed ships for more slots. I would always be so happy to find a crashed ship where the shield wasn't broken.

^ Funny, I've been to 8-10 systems and I'm still on my pre-order ship. I haven't found a ship that I like the looks of just as much + has unblocked upgrade paths for photon cannon and shields. I don't actually feel I'm missing much. Putting lots of expensive cargo in your ship just means more pirate attacks.

Mo' slots, mo' problems.

mokeyjoe

I feel ya. I've been scared to pull the trigger because of that reason too. Though I only have a 23-slotter so far, so I was going to try it once I've found my next junker via crashed ships and am ready to make the change anyway, so it wouldn't be this huge loss.

It just appears on the ground and you can transfer your inventory to it and get in it and fly away. You could switch to it and then to the crashed ship if you want.

I switched to the experimental and now it's like the lighting effects are only active every other frame whenever I'm interacting with something...

So it creates this weird flickering effect... This game's wildly erratic framerate has already been a simulation sickness issue for me, which is amazing considering that i don't typically get sick playing games, but now this is making it worse.

Poetaster

Banned
It just appears on the ground and you can transfer your inventory to it and get in it and fly away. You could switch to it and then to the crashed ship if you want.
So it doesn't just replace your current ship when you redeem it? I could have been mistaken about that part, it's been a while since I did it myself.

mokeyjoe

So it doesn't just replace your current ship when you redeem it? I could have been mistaken about that part, it's been a while since I did it myself.

Er, it's been a while for me too. But I thought that's what happened.

I only switched to it to get rid of the message and picked up another ship shortly after.

^ Funny, I've been to 8-10 systems and I'm still on my pre-order ship. I haven't found a ship that I like the looks of just as much + has unblocked upgrade paths for photon cannon and shields. I don't actually feel I'm missing much. Putting lots of expensive cargo in your ship just means more pirate attacks.

Mo' slots, mo' problems.

Yeah... but with more slots you can fit more upgrades, then you have no problems when pirates or sentinel ships attack, lol.

I'm just glad I was able to do the Gek trick before they patched it, I don't think I have the patience or time to do it the other way, the ship prices seem ridiculous.

Yeah... but with more slots you can fit more upgrades, then you have no problems when pirates or sentinel ships attack, lol.

I'm just glad I was able to do the Gek trick before they patched it, I don't think I have the patience or time to do it the other way, the ship prices seem ridiculous.

The ship prices are totally insane. I'm up to a 35-slot ship, mainly through farming crash sites, and on my last space station, things with fewer slots than mine are 20+ million. I found a great place for farming vortex cubes a while back, but I wasn't going to hang out long enough to get 20 million, let alone the 100 million+ you need for a max-slot ship. The joy of this game is in the journey, not the grind, so it doesn't make sense to me to focus on resource-farming when I could be finding new things.

geomon

So apparently I'm not insane and I did actually receive blueprints for exosuit health and landing for ship but I can't craft them at all, they just don't show up. Fuck.

Meliora

I haven't had any crashes or bugs for a long while now. Even my extreme counter for the trophy went up! Then I found a planet where one of the words in the random name is the same as my real name. So I had to land of course and then game crashed :( Not saying it was aliens...

The ship prices are totally insane. I'm up to a 35-slot ship, mainly through farming crash sites, and on my last space station, things with fewer slots than mine are 20+ million. I found a great place for farming vortex cubes a while back, but I wasn't going to hang out long enough to get 20 million, let alone the 100 million+ you need for a max-slot ship. The joy of this game is in the journey, not the grind, so it doesn't make sense to me to focus on resource-farming when I could be finding new things.

Indeed, it's seems like they never intended for people to actually buy the larger ships... The cost to storage ratio does scale very well. Those are the prices you should be paying for a giant assed cruiser with over a hundred slots, lol.

Ship prices are based in no small part on what sort of upgrades you have installed. If you have a tricked-out ship, the other ships you find will generally be similarly equipped with a price tag to match. If you're intent on ship-shopping, you can cut down the price A LOT by stripping most of your tech out, but of course this is its own hassle (though much faster than grinding for cash).

Suffice it to say the economy, especially around ships, needs an overhaul. The highest ship price I have seen was over 167,000,000 Units for a 47 slot ship. That's for a similarly equipped ship compared to my nearly maxed out 48-slotter. I got my current ship by swapping crashed ships from 33 slots on up, but the 33 slotter I purchased was something like 14 million (which I purchased while flying a stripped bare 24-slotter).

So apparently I'm not insane and I did actually receive blueprints for exosuit health and landing for ship but I can't craft them at all, they just don't show up. Fuck.

Those are base level blueprints that you already have installed on your suit and ship. Just last night I "discovered new tech" for the base Scanner unit on the multi-tool. It's theorized that at one point you were able to dismantle those parts but they likely removed the ability to do so to avoid completely screwing yourself.

The highest ship price I have seen was over 167,000,000 Units for a 47 slot ship.
Highest I've seen was a totally kitted out 48-slot dropship style for $185m.

Those are base level blueprints that you already have installed on your suit and ship. Just last night I "discovered new tech" for the base Scanner unit on the multi-tool. It's theorized that at one point you were able to dismantle those parts but they likely removed the ability to do so to avoid completely screwing yourself.

Yeah, it's almost like at some point they had intended to add a complete ship crafting aspect to the game... Where you could actually design and build your own ship from the ground up or something.

Noticed that myself today. They could have just given you those basic blueprint from the start and still given you the ability to dismantle them.

I agree with your last point vehemently and it was my biggest issue with the game outside of the technical issues which I won't get into. I thought it was essentially disappointing that while the configuration changed the content never did. This applies for space and planets honestly. I entered outpost after outpost only to find blueprints I already had and aliens that prompted me with dialogue I had already read. I didn't need to learn the alien languages because I could just brute force the answers.

The thread has filtered out to mostly people who are enjoying the game to some extent or another, because most of the people who hated it have stopped playing it and/or posted already or in the other forty threads and are not interested in discussing it anymore because they don't like it and don't play it anymore.

I don't think people are against talking about the problems within the context of a generally enjoyable or at least promising experience but no one is going to want to "discuss" how much someone despises the game anymore in here, you're gonna get flak for it. Them's just the breaks.

And FWIW I haven't played it in more than a week and am probably done until/unless significant changes and additions are made.

So, even though this game doesn't max out CPU utilization, it still runs better on more threads? I just watched a video of a guy with a 290X and i7 2600k getting 55 to 70fps, and he says that without recording the FPS is 10 higher, so 65-80... I have a 290x (with same amount of VRAM) and an i5 2500K clocked at 4.5GHz and I'm lucky to be in the 40-50 range at the same settings without recording...

True...but I don't have a problem handling the pirates as it is. A gang of five jumped me last night and I took them out without even recharging my shields. It's really more so that I just don't like the ship combat in NMS, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Not to just complain, here's some concrete things that Hello can do to improve ship combat:

1) Make the acceleration on the normal engines have more oompf. Right now when I press R2 it feels like driving a '72 Beetle up a mountain – I'm pressing the gas to the floor and the speedometer barely moves. Not only do you want people to feel like the ships are actually spaceships and not biplanes, but having more responsive engines makes it easier to have cat-and-mouse games with enemy ships and move in behind enemies. Right now the ships feel more like a slowly moving turret.

2) Remove impulse boost from the circle button. Instead, have it engage when the R2 trigger is at 90% pressed and lasts as long as R2 is held down. This would improve the ergonomics and streamline the UI by not having to use two buttons for acceleration, while also trying to maneuver and fire weapons. By also implementing proposal #1, the ships would have a more fluid acceleration curve and a UI that can more deftly move between the two engine modes.

3) Improve the AI, both in tactics and simple bugs. Right now there's a huge bug where if you let the pirates descend below you in the atmosphere, they will just fly around while you can pick them off like fish in a barrel.

4) Give the ships more "feel" while in space. If I hit the brakes while turning, allow some lateral movement to allow a bit of a powerslide.

5) Get rid of the need to recharge shields. This is a dumb idea narratively (feeding rocks to your ship's furnace? c'mon) and distracts from what should be a fun and exciting combat experience. But if Hello is unwilling to do that, at least remove the requirement to use the terrible inventory UI and either give us a recharge button or just auto-recharge with whatever supplies we have in inventory. Fumbling around with a virtual mouse in a UI screen to recharge a shield while in a realtime combat situation has to change, full stop.

5) Allow us to turn off the assists, including auto-aim and crash protection. I want to dogfight while flying through rock formations and through narrow canyons.

6) Get rid of the constant stream of small asteroids, and replace with clusters of more Star Wars-y asteroid fields that we can dodge and weave through.

mulac

Ok all I have left for Platinum is:

1. Survive Extreme Planet
2. Destroy all the starships
3. Scan all creatures on 10 planets

I've completed 1 planet 100% creatures, got to 76% on a moon i found and CANNOT FIND ANY MORE DAMN ANIMALS!?!!? Been searching for around an hour - yes in caves, on the land, in the sky, not much water except for a few pools.

Any quick ways to achieve these 3 remaining challenges i'm missing?

Betty

Banned
Ok all I have left for Platinum is:

1. Survive Extreme Planet
2. Destroy all the starships
3. Scan all creatures on 10 planets

I've completed 1 planet 100% creatures, got to 76% on a moon i found and CANNOT FIND ANY MORE DAMN ANIMALS!?!!? Been searching for around an hour - yes in caves, on the land, in the sky, not much water except for a few pools.

Any quick ways to achieve these 3 remaining challenges i'm missing?

Find a planet with extreme weather or hostile sentries, you'll know you landed on one by the red writing in the planet details.

The ships will come naturally as you fly about.

Scanning creatures can be a real pain, several times I only had 1 creature to find and it would take ages.

I'd suggest flying to different parts of the planet every so often, that might help you track down the remaining ones.

Dont forget about flying creatures and things that live in the sea or lakes.

Really wish ice was in the game. I'm on a planet right now that is snowy with temps -50C yet half the planet is liquid water.

It does seem like it could be doable given how the game currently populates worlds with water on them.

But it would probably be like an all or nothing thing though. All ice covered lakes which you could break through wouldn't be so bad. Right now I just pretend the "water" is some exotic molecule that stays liquid at well below normal freezing temp at low pressure.

mokeyjoe

It does seem like it could be doable given how the game currently populates worlds with water on them.

But it would probably be like an all or nothing thing though. All ice covered lakes which you could break through wouldn't be so bad. Right now I just pretend the "water" is some exotic molecule that stays liquid at well below normal freezing temp at low pressure.

Well, there are reasons why you may have liquid water (or other liquids) way below freezing. But that still shouldn't mean no ice. Definitely I'd like to see ice added. And volcanoes. Ice and fire.

5) Get rid of the need to recharge shields. This is a dumb idea narratively (feeding rocks to your ship's furnace? c'mon) and distracts from what should be a fun and exciting combat experience. But if Hello is unwilling to do that, at least remove the requirement to use the terrible inventory UI and either give us a recharge button or just auto-recharge with whatever supplies we have in inventory. Fumbling around with a virtual mouse in a UI screen to recharge a shield while in a realtime combat situation has to change, full stop.

This should be the case for everything; shields, hazard protection, guns, engines, etc. I didn't install three layers of thermal protection just so I could add Zinc to three different menu items instead of one. Let us set up priorities of what gets used to recharge things first (don't burn through Zinc if I have Shielding Shards in inventory, for example) and then just let it do it on its own. The constant micromanagement of maintenance tasks that could be easily offloaded to an automated system in the event of actual space exploration just seems silly. It's like imagining Neil Armstrong going, "One small step for man... hold on, just need to shove some crystals in my breathing apparatus here."

Hahs

Really wish ice was in the game. I'm on a planet right now that is snowy with temps -50C yet half the planet is liquid water.
shouldn't assume all clear liquid is water

Helium for example doesn't freeze naturally on earth - except at extreme pressures produced in laboratories.

You're planet could have atmospheric pressures that could liquify helium.

Despite scanning a planet from space the lack of fundamental stats/pressure/gravity/planetary makeup in this game still kind of boggles me.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Progress so far:

On-foot Travel: 544,599u - 10
Alien Encounters: 233 - 10
Words Collected: 847 - 10
Most Units: 20327132 - 10
Ships Destroyed: 136 - 10
Sentinels Destroyed: 275 - 10
Extreme Survival: 32.3 - 10 (one session)
Space Exploration: 13 (Surveyor)
Planet Zoology: 25 - 10

Skyzard

Banned
Is the main goal to get to the center of the Universe? Or the center of the galaxy?

Are you supposed to get to the centers of the galaxies and lead up to the center of the Universe? Or is it the same thing....?

Spoiler if necessary....

mulac

Progress so far:

On-foot Travel: 544,599u - 10
Alien Encounters: 233 - 10
Words Collected: 847 - 10
Most Units: 20327132 - 10
Ships Destroyed: 136 - 10
Sentinels Destroyed: 275 - 10
Extreme Survival: 32.3 - 10 (one session)
Space Exploration: 13 (Surveyor)
Planet Zoology: 25 - 10

Congrats - i'm going for the same. Time consuming!!

Top Bottom