• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I tend to like irradiated planets the most. Lots of yellows oranges and greens. Weird shaped plants. Really fun sights. I may be biased cause one was my first planet, and I spent the first 6 or so hours exploring it before repairing my launch thrusters. I usually keep the stock names for planets and animals, but I found this really neat one I was going to name Seuss Prime, but I hit enter instead of space aaaand now it's just named Seuss! So if you ever find planet Seuss, look for the Lorax... The planet is really neat and seussical.

I hope you spelled his name right in-game, lol.

LOL never realized you could scan plants despite having visited like 30 planets now

So much easier also with the scanner upgrade for zooming in.

Also LOVE the jet pack upgrades combined with the melee-flying trick. so good.

Anyone who got Galapagos before the patch is lucky as hell. This is a fucking nightmare. I can't find the remaining species on several planets. No new scans in the oceans, caves or the sky.

It's so damn infuriating. Anyone who has the plat most likely used the exploit. Without the exploit the plat becomes waaaaaay fucking harder.

Anyone who got Galapagos before the patch is lucky as hell. This is a fucking nightmare. I can't find the remaining species on several planets. No new scans in the oceans, caves or the sky.

It's so damn infuriating. Anyone who has the plat most likely used the exploit. Without the exploit the plat becomes waaaaaay fucking harder.

I did it legit on 1.03 and yeah it was hell. Also spent 8 hours on one planet with extreme radioactivity and hostile sentinels for the survivor trophies.

Razgreez

Feels like everybody else got here before me

CrKGptmWAAA7spe.jpg

This has been my cruiser/fighter for countless lightyears

I continue venturing forth

Either something was a bit off in Hello Games generated the universe or I'm having a really weird run, but it seems to me like there's a better chance that a moon will be lush and full of life than planets. Anyone else notice this or is it just my corner of the galaxy?

In my (must be over 50) hours of playing i have reached a sum total of 2 lush places. One was a planet with no moon and the other was a moon. In both instances the music changed to a happy hopeful tune (not the same tune though) as soon as I landed and exited the cockpit - though that's probably just a coincidence.

I feel you. Didn't use the exploit, and the first planet I ever managed to get a 100% scan on, my ship flew off into space by itself (took an hour to find a call signal to get it back). So, yeah, the hell with that. I ain't risking another game-breaking bug for a trophy I couldn't care less about.

I have many issues with the game and think Sean was somewhat deceptive. However, I still think overall it's a good game and certainly has potential. I certainly am having a blast playing it.

I will be thrilled if the game continues to get support for the next year at least. It has a fantastic foundation to build upon and it would be a shame if it gets abandoned quickly.

I'm hoping Sean breaks his radio silence soon and gives us more info about the future of the game.

I think that we wont hear anything until the devs have released all the patches fixing stuff and we dont know how long that will take. so he could end up just getting even more negative reactions and "when are these promises coming"? if he talked about features yet patch after patch came out with just fixes and none of the new features

I hope he ends up talking again, I always enjoyed his interviews etc as he seems genuinely passionate about the game he is making and what he wants it to be. Its very rare to get that kind of developer interview and commentary without it being tightly controlled by marketing and PR, and this whole backlash means its unlikely we will see a similar thing again.

I realize how mad so many people are at being mislead about what the game contained, so dont take this as saying people shouldnt complain or have valid grievances

Poetaster

Banned

I got it legit and am currently at all species found on 30 planets. Are you panning around the environment with the analysis visor activated looking for the white pinging dots out in the distance? I've gotten so many by ditching my ship and going towards those white dots that indicate wildlife in the area. If I'm not finding anything new I'll summon my ship at the first place I'm able and move to a new area and try again.

Razgreez

I got it legit and am currently at all species found on 30 planets. Are you panning around the environment with the analysis visor activated looking for the white pinging dots out in the distance? I've gotten so many by ditching my ship and going towards those white dots that indicate wildlife in the area. If I'm not finding anything new I'll summon my ship at the first place I'm able and move to a new area and try again.

Found mind similarly by simply wandering around on foot

Spyware

I do this and sometimes it takes like 10 mins to find all but one species, then perhaps 15-30 mins extra for the last one. Under an hour total is fine. But other times it takes like 5-10 mins to find all but one and then I go around actively looking for the last one for multiple hours. It just never shows. It's infuriating. You realise you've spent 2 hours looking for it and it feels stupid to give up, but if you keep going you're just gonna waste even more time. Aaargh.

Where does one find Omegron?

I've gotten every upgrade for my exo/ship/tool except for a couple that need Omegron. Halp!

Also how does the extreme conditions milestone work now that they patched it? I got to 5.5 Sols and then it never moved from there.

Where does one find Omegron?

I've gotten every upgrade for my exo/ship/tool except for a couple that need Omegron. Halp!

Hang out at a space station and barter with the random ships that fly in and land. Sometimes they have it... If they don't jump to another system and try again.

Otherwise, you can go around feeding every animal you meet and hope it drops some for you.

I do this and sometimes it takes like 10 mins to find all but one species, then perhaps 15-30 mins extra for the last one. Under an hour total is fine. But other times it takes like 5-10 mins to find all but one and then I go around actively looking for the last one for multiple hours. It just never shows. It's infuriating. You realise you've spent 2 hours looking for it and it feels stupid to give up, but if you keep going you're just gonna waste even more time. Aaargh.

This is why I never even tried to get all the scans, I get bored of a planet before being close to getting everything and its so easy to make a TON of money by farming something like Emeril with upgraded mining tool. I find it hard to resist them lol.

But other times it takes like 5-10 mins to find all but one and then I go around actively looking for the last one for multiple hours. It just never shows. It's infuriating. You realise you've spent 2 hours looking for it and it feels stupid to give up, but if you keep going you're just gonna waste even more time. Aaargh.

Yup. I had to begrudgingly leave a couple planets with one to go because I spent over an hour looking for it. I swear it's a bug, or at least was.

Number45

I'm having very little luck with crashed ships - they're usually -1 on my current inventory for some reason.

I also seem to have all of the multi-tool/ship upgrades that came come from pods because I get nothing but repeats. I assume I need to move on to "unlock" more, but I just don't seem to be able to find Iridium (and copper isn't exactly common either).

Razgreez

I'm having very little luck with crashed ships - they're usually -1 on my current inventory for some reason.

I also seem to have all of the multi-tool/ship upgrades that came come from pods because I get nothing but repeats. I assume I need to move on to "unlock" more, but I just don't seem to be able to find Iridium (and copper isn't exactly common either).

Copper is quite common. Iridium is rare but you'll come across systems in which the large asteroids will be iridium.

On another note...

Came across a terminal and data log in an abandoned shelter in which the person who left the log was having a heavy self loathing existential crisis.

Taking about not having taken their exosuit off for as long as they can remember and that their body is basically a hazardous puss ridden pit which is potentially contaminating every system they come across.

Are y'all warping through systems that are continuously one race? I remember pre-release Sean was saying factions had pretty big turf areas so it'd take a while to get through an area. But my first three systems were Gek, Korvax, and Vy'keen, and all the systems seem random so far. Then again, I don't even know what a Faction is at this point; they were supposed to be separate things from the races, but now they're the same? Who knows.

Spyware

Yup. I had to begrudgingly leave a couple planets with one to go because I spent over an hour looking for it. I swear it's a bug, or at least was.
Still happens to me, and it really feels like a bug. Had to leave the last planet in my first system (I restarted) two days ago after looking for a ??? that was between a flying creature and the two cave living ones on the list. Had to have been another cave one or flier but I was down in caves and looked through the ground for an hour, and up into the sky for an hour. At least. And nothing! I hate leaving with just that single ???-species in there.
The other 3 planets that had fauna in that system worked fine and was relatively easy to 100 %.

OuterLimits

So what is the minimum and maximum number of planets in solar systems? I have seen 6 planets(or a combination of planets/moons). I have seen an O star on the galactic map with 1 planet(I don't have a good enough warp upgrade) but yellow G and F stars I think always have more than 1 planet that I have seen anyway.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a resource management survival game in a scifi-setting. You got it backwards.

Agreed, I do not understand how some people are getting the completely opposite idea about the game's settings and drive.
Also, the game has plenty plenty of exploration and I have quite a bit of fun doing that, although I would like to walk faster around the landscape sometimes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I find quite a bit of irony when I read comments about how discovering and naming planets is meaningless once you discover you are not the first being landing on the location... Makes me think about the year 1492 and a famous "discovery" of a land where no being ever landed before as well as many amazing others that happened throughout the years ;).

Teknoman

I find quite a bit of irony when I read comments about how discovering and naming planets is meaningless once you discover you are not the first being landing on the location... Makes me think about the year 1492 and a famous "discovery" of a land where no being ever landed before as well as many amazing others that happened throughout the years ;).

People can rename player discovered things?

Stumbled upon my first inert portal today. Damn if I didn't spend a solid 30 minutes trying to figure that thing out lol I will say that I like that there are still mysteries like that in the game. I wish we occasionally would come across major ruins or some other environmental storytelling location that wasn't merely a vessel for learning a new word or two.

Feels like everybody else got here before me

Nah, I'm still missing 4 (two dogfighting related and two warp related) before mine. I've been taking it slow and enjoying my time. Definitely ready for a new ship and MT though. Mine have served me well but it's time to move on. Congrats on your plat and continuing to explore!

Are y'all warping through systems that are continuously one race?

My first major chunk of this game has been solely in Korvax space. I nearly learned all their words before hitting my first Gek planet;
My first Gek was actually Polo
. Then I het an all-Gek system, and now the past two systems have been a mixture. I'm currently on a planet with both Gek and Korvax, though never in the same place at the same time (which is a shame).

Griss

People can rename player discovered things?

No, he's referencing the fact that you're 'naming' all these planets that already have a ton of aliens and spaceports on them. Then you make an effort to learn their language as part of the game, but the one thing you never bother to ask is what the name of the planet already is, lol.

It just makes you feel far less like an explorer because all the planets are colonised and should already have names.

Necro900

Anyone else having really bad pop-in on 1.07? :/ I noticed the imaged is sharper but with way more aliasing, it's as if they disabled FXAA they had before.

But more than anything, pop-in is abysmal with this patch.. I want 1.05 back.

OuterLimits

So I had just left a planet and was getting iridium from some asteroids when 4 spaceships zoomed by close to me heading down to the planet. I also like when your walking on a planet and ships zoom by above you. Or when your at a trading post and ships are circling overhead waiting for you to leave. If I have wandered too far from my ship and see them circling, I usually head in that direction knowing I can use a beacon there to call my ship.

Has anyone else seen a light flash and then spaceships appear in the far distance while slowly moving in space? I'm assuming they are warping into the system.

It's little stuff like that in the game that I find so cool. Also saw a stream where the guy warped into a system and there was a battle going with at least a 15-20 ships battling.

I do wish the factions had more hostility and allying with one made it difficult for you if you ended up in a hostile solar system. It's obvious the Gek and Vykeen don't like each other. It would be cool if the Gek charged you more or even refused to sell spaceships to you if you are allied with the Vykeen, but you get heavy discounts in Vykeen systems.

You do see the bare minimum of the faction system at times. For example, a Vykeen asked me for plutonium to nuke a Gek planet. I refused and my standing fell with them but went up with the Gek. Of course you could still then talk with the Vykeen dude afterwards like nothing had happened. Lol.

OuterLimits

Anyone else having really bad pop-in on 1.07? :/ I noticed the imaged is sharper but with way more aliasing, it's as if they disabled FXAA they had before.

But more than anything, pop-in is abysmal with this patch.. I want 1.05 back.

Apologies for the double post, but several others including myself have also brought this up. It's especially bad for me when flying(even slowly) but it's not great walking either at times.

I also have moments where my ship feels like it's stuck when on planets and the speed is 9 or so. I have to pulse to get out of it.

Razgreez

Stumbled upon my first inert portal today. Damn if I didn't spend a solid 30 minutes trying to figure that thing out lol I will say that I like that there are still mysteries like that in the game. I wish we occasionally would come across major ruins or some other environmental storytelling location that wasn't merely a vessel for learning a new word or two.

Read the abandoned facility data logs. They seem to be precisely those. Somebody needs to start recording (or data mining) these and uploading them to reddit or something. Should make for some pretty interesting reading

So what is the minimum and maximum number of planets in solar systems? I have seen 6 planets(or a combination of planets/moons). I have seen an O star on the galactic map with 1 planet(I don't have a good enough warp upgrade) but yellow G and F stars I think always have more than 1 planet that I have seen anyway.

I just warped into a G system with one planet. Was rather surprised, all my other systems have been 3 or 5.

noomi

So the devs have been pretty quite, eh?

I mean.... I get it, they are working (I think?) towards resolving as many issues as they can... but it would be nice to have some more communication.

Either way, I shelved the game for a bit as I was just starting to feel a bit burned out and wanted to take a break before I really became too bored.

Looking forward to new features and even more fixes on the PC version.

So, I've found a planet that has caves just filled with Vortex Cubes.

How much should I stick around and grind them out? What's a good amount of money to bank up before I move on?

Vindicator

Taking a break now, been playing the game daily since launch (1 week Vacation aside) got my maxed out ship&suit&tool as well as Atlas path finished, will gladly jump back into another Galaxy after finishing RE4 & Deus Ex.

So the devs have been pretty quite, eh?

I mean.... I get it, they are working (I think?) towards resolving as many issues as they can... but it would be nice to have some more communication.

Either way, I shelved the game for a bit as I was just starting to feel a bit burned out and wanted to take a break before I really became too bored.

Looking forward to new features and even more fixes on the PC version.

I get it that people want to hear some sort of response, but what's the point?
There is literally nothing they could say that would appease the mouth foaming, pitchfork wielding hate mongers.
I would be alright with frequent updates about patches and upcoming features.

noomi

So, I've found a planet that has caves just filled with Vortex Cubes.

How much should I stick around and grind them out? What's a good amount of money to bank up before I move on?

This is the best way to make some serious $$$.

Vortex cubes in caves are even better because sentinels won't fuck with you. I stuck around to make about 13million credits and bailed the planet. Was able to make about 600K every 20min or so. This with me already having a 48 slot ship though, so I wouldn't really need to credits to spend on anything else.

There is a way to make vortex cubes stack in piles of 100 which will make things even easier for you, although I'm not sure how this is done.. I believe there is some glitch for it.

Either way, you hit the gold mine bud, stick around and farm for while and then when you get too bored just GTFO :p

I get it that people want to hear some sort of response, but what's the point?
There is literally nothing they could say that would appease the mouth foaming, pitchfork wielding hate mongers.
I would be alright with frequent updates about patches and upcoming features.

The haters are going to hate no matter what, but I am a supporter and I still enjoyed the game for what it was. All I'm saying is maybe have a PR person communicate a little better.... doesn't have to be anything magical.

I mean it took like 3 days to get patch notes once the first PC update was out...

r1chard

This is the best way to make some serious $$$.

Vortex cubes in caves are even better because sentinels won't fuck with you. I stuck around to make about 13million credits and bailed the planet. Was able to make about 600K every 20min or so. This with me already having a 48 slot ship though, so I wouldn't really need to credits to spend on anything else.
Yeah, but just in case you're in a station and see that sweeet ship come in you absolutely must have :-D

There is a way to make vortex cubes stack in piles of 100 which will make things even easier for you, although I'm not sure how this is done.. I believe there is some glitch for it.
Go salvage all the parts from crashed ships. When you do the components like vortex cubes form stacks of 100 rather than stacks of 1. You can then add to those stacks of 100 :)

I found a planet with pearls in caves. Only ever saw them on the surface.
Sentinels can't reach you either but when i returned to the surface I heard weird sounds.
Turns out they forgot to pick up one of the dogs after the alarm phase and the poor thing was wandering around over the desolate planet. No aggro either.

Necro900

Apologies for the double post, but several others including myself have also brought this up. It's especially bad for me when flying(even slowly) but it's not great walking either at times.

I also have moments where my ship feels like it's stuck when on planets and the speed is 9 or so. I have to pulse to get out of it.

Yep, happened to me as well. It's like the ship is engaging that "collision protection" you normally have when flying at surface level and dodging mountain tops, except there's nothing in front of you.

Also, have all vortex cubes been replaced with vortex pillars that give you three stars wanted level before giving you the cube? Or is it still possible to find vortex cubes on 1.07 in the wild and without triggering pillars?
I guess maybe vortex cubes were supposed to be like sac venom and gravitino balls, so they still had to fix them.

Also, have all vortex cubes been replaced with vortex pillars that give you three stars wanted level before giving you the cube? Or is it still possible to find vortex cubes on 1.07 in the wild and without triggering pillars?
I guess maybe vortex cubes were supposed to be like sac venom and gravitino balls, so they still had to fix them.

The cubes on pillars appear on the surface only, and the cubes on the ground appear in caves (or surface areas where there are cave plants and rocks) only. If a planet has cubes on pillars, then it will have cubes in caves, too, in my experience. It hasn't been changed.

Necro900

The cubes on pillars appear on the surface only, and the cubes on the ground appear in caves (or surface areas where there are cave plants and rocks) only. If a planet has cubes on pillars, then it will have cubes in caves, too, in my experience. It hasn't been changed.

Good! I still have a chance to gather millions and get a new ship, then :D I really need a big jump in slots before I get to farming crashed ships.

I've also found multiple planets that only had the cave cubes, and not pillar cubes. "Cave cubes" is a bit of a misnomer, because they can appear above-ground; anything that appears cave-like in terrain, with crystal formations and stalagmites and whatnot, can spawn ground-level cubes.

That said, this was all before the latest patch (which I guess still isn't out on PC for some reason?). I suppose it's possible they no longer exist, but I don't see why Hello Games would remove them.

I have yet to find vortex cubes in the wild, only when deconstructing ship parts.

I'm up to a 41 level ship, so hopefully Raist is in the neighborhood.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I mentioned planet Seuss earlier! I found a screenshot I made. (Actually it's Moon Seuss.)

I have yet to find vortex cubes in the wild, only when deconstructing ship parts.

I'm up to a 41 level ship, so hopefully Raist is in the neighborhood.

I've found 2 kinds of Vortex Cube worlds.
Type 1) vortex cubes are on these weird platform thingies like in Muzicfreq's pic:
Type 2) vortex cubes are just sitting on the floor of caves looking like the picture in their inventory slot.

Type 2 is the best because the Sentinels don't go hostile level 3 as soon as you touch them. And they're sooo close together. You can fill up just wandering around any cave formation.

KaidoRacer7

I don't know if I'm doing wrong, but when farming ships in crashed sites, only appears 30-slot ships (I have a 31-slot ship) and generally, 2 crashed ship per planet. Is it right?

Top Bottom