• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I don't know if I'm doing wrong, but when farming ships in crashed sites, only appears 30-slot ships (I have a 31-slot ship) and generally, 2 crashed ship per planet. Is it right?
Just a stream of bad luck. You have a choice of getting one above or one below. I've found many MANY more than 2 sites for planet.

One thing I learned. before you get to 48, hang out at a space station and look at the ships flying in. Each system has a pool of ships. The same types you see landing on the space station are the ones you'll find crashed on planets. So watch the ships coming in and when you find a system with a cool looking ship, you can hunt for that one.

Raist

Banned
So the devs have been pretty quite, eh?

I mean.... I get it, they are working (I think?) towards resolving as many issues as they can... but it would be nice to have some more communication.

Either way, I shelved the game for a bit as I was just starting to feel a bit burned out and wanted to take a break before I really became too bored.

Looking forward to new features and even more fixes on the PC version.

Any post on twitter (no matter then content) from them turns into a shit slinging show worse than a tribe of 500 chimpanzees could ever produce. I don't blame them from staying away from any discussions for now and just give updates on patches.

Agreed, I do not understand how some people are getting the completely opposite idea about the game's settings and drive.
Also, the game has plenty plenty of exploration and I have quite a bit of fun doing that, although I would like to walk faster around the landscape sometimes.

Even with the jetpack dash?

Amory

So what have you guys been doing after you have a max ship, multitool, and suit?

Just farming resources for cash and whatnot?

I'm still sort of enjoying the game and exploring, it just kind of seems aimless at this point though. I'm trying to find Atlas pass V2 and 3 for the time being.

So what have you guys been doing after you have a max ship, multitool, and suit?

I'm still sort of enjoying the game and exploring, it just kind of seems aimless at this point though. I'm trying to find Atlas pass V2 and 3 for the time being.

Working on Atlas and exploring... looking for cool screenshot opportunities...

KaidoRacer7

Just a stream of bad luck. You have a choice of getting one above or one below. I've found many MANY more than 2 sites for planet.

One thing I learned. before you get to 48, hang out at a space station and look at the ships flying in. Each system has a pool of ships. The same types you see landing on the space station are the ones you'll find crashed on planets. So watch the ships coming in and when you find a system with a cool looking ship, you can hunt for that one.

And for hunting, the path is "Transmission" option > Shelter > Use computer to scan > Pray to find a undiscovered crashed ship?

mokeyjoe

I've played for about 90 hours or something and still don't have v2 or v3. I'm starting to doubt they exist.

Raist

Banned
I have yet to find vortex cubes in the wild, only when deconstructing ship parts.

I'm up to a 41 level ship, so hopefully Raist is in the neighborhood.

Sorry dude, I'm not anywhere near. Space is big. I won't be able to "meet" you regardless, so it doesn't matter if you're there or not. I'll get a screencap of your system.

I wish more people had given their coordinates. Turns out you were, like, almost on the opposite side of the galaxy, if my interpretation of coordinates is right xD.

I've played for about 90 hours or something and still don't have v2 or v3. I'm starting to doubt they exist.

Keep visiting N&P to give your data. You'll get them, guaranteed.

mokeyjoe

Sorry dude, I'm not anywhere near. Space is big. I won't be able to "meet" you regardless, so it doesn't matter if you're there or not. I'll get a screencap of your system.

I wish more people had given their coordinates. Turns out you were, like, almost on the opposite side of the galaxy, if my interpretation of coordinates is right xD.

Keep visiting N&P to give your data. You'll get them, guaranteed.

They don't ask for data any more. Just keep saying the same things. I've run out of N&P stuff.

legacyzero

Banned
Cq8-x4AWEAAACXu.jpg

Daaaamn. I'm looking for my 48 slot ship right now. Hoping to come across a beauty like this.

Amory

How "far" into the game are you? Depending on that, this may be a minor spoiler.

I finished the Atlas storyline. Haven't made it to the center of the galaxy, but I know what happens when you do.

Nada and Polo.

is that the
gek and korvax dudes in the space station type things?

that's where I got v1, but when I found another one of those things, I didn't get v2...i heard you were supposed to try to get the blueprint from manufacturing and operations centers

Raist

Banned
is that the

that's where I got v1, but when I found another one of those things, I didn't get v2...i heard you were supposed to try to get the blueprint from manufacturing and operations centers

Correct. P keeps asking for more and more data. You'll get various blueprints, including the passes. Took me, I dunno, 15 visits?

edit: @mokeyjoe huh that's weird. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who reported they got all of them fairly easily though these guys.

mokeyjoe

I finished the Atlas storyline. Haven't made it to the center of the galaxy, but I know what happens when you do.

is that the

That's right. And yeah, got v1 there.

I'm not that bothered really, I don't think there's currently much reason for the passes. I'm basically just playing the game casually and wandering around for the sake of it, I'm just surprised I haven't found them after all this time.

With that said I only recently started finding blueprints for alloys, so I guess there's stuff to find.

Raist

Banned
That's right. And yeah, got v1 there.

I'm not that bothered really, I don't think there's currently much reason for the passes. I'm basically just playing the game casually and wandering around for the sake of it, I'm just surprised I haven't found them after all this time.

With that said I only recently started finding blueprints for alloys, so I guess there's stuff to find.

Wait, did you try to talk to Polo multiple times during the same visit? Or on separate occasions?

mokeyjoe

Wait, did you try to talk to Polo multiple times during the same visit? Or on separate occasions?

Separate occasions. Once I'd given him the survival data he hasn't asked for further data. There's an anomaly in my current system, I'll ask him again later.

as much as i enjoyed my time with the game, even i have to admit that there might be no greater disappointment in any game than to finally get those atlas passes & proceed to discover that they basically get you
absolutely nothing!!!
:) ...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sorry, what's N&P?

I've been trying to find the blueprint in manufacturing facilities and operations centers.

Make sure it's in a Korvax system. That's the only system I've ever seen anybody get one, and where I got mine. And don't worry about manufacturing, just do Op Centers. There should be a scenario that references an image of you. Then you get V3.

pathos11

I pulled the exact coordinates of my discovered systems out of the game's memory. This is my "map":

(note: the center would be at (0, 0, 0) and those coordinates are actually 100 times the displayed numbers)

I'd like make a standalone program that can be run along side the game, and when I select a star on the galactic map, I can then press a button on my program to "bookmark" the galactic coordinates of that star. This could be used for mapping purposes, shared to point out cool things around the galaxy, or maybe even could be used as a quick teleporter.

Also, for those who don't know yet, when you map tells you that you are 178,496.9 LY from the center, you need to multiple that number by four. So 713,987.6 in this example.

Number45

If I activate a beacon and activate multiple transmission tower waypoints - is each one guaranteed to be a pointer to a different crashed ship? I've had the game send me to ruins (via observatory) I've already visited before.

If I activate a beacon and activate multiple transmission tower waypoints - is each one guaranteed to be a pointer to a different crashed ship? I've had the game send me to ruins (via observatory) I've already visited before.

I've found that there seems to be a pool of locations in the local area that can be marked as a crash site when you activate a waypoint. I have ended up taking off and flying for a while on pulse turbo in order to reach a new area and hopefully get some new sites, if that fails i get on with something else until i go to a new planet/moon/system where there's new designs to find too.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Only the third jump and it was to a black hole I thought that would be much later.
Someone else discovered it previously but didn't name it and they didn't explore the planets around it either.
So far the planets near the black hole have been the most interesting will be hanging around here for a while before moving on.

Raist

Banned
Only the third jump and it was to a black hole I thought that would be much later.
Someone else discovered it previously but didn't name it and they didn't explore the planets around it either.
So far the planets near the black hole have been the most interesting will be hanging around here for a while before moving on.

They most likely wanted to just use the black hole and didn't give a shit about the planets around it.

Also, there's not really a concept of later. You're thrown on a random planet. One such starting planet may just happen to be in a system very close to a black hole. It's just probabilities (like most things in this game).

BizzyBum

The game was intentionally designed to be pointless.

Vox had a good article about it: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/27/12646008/no-mans-sky-game-review-existential-crisis

It's basically Nihilism: The Game.

The game was intentionally designed to be pointless.

Vox had a good article about it: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/27/12646008/no-mans-sky-game-review-existential-crisis

It's basically Nihilism: The Game.

Suderman makes a number of salient points in that article. One of my favorites:

Peter Suderman said:
And yet — aren’t most video games ultimately pointless? They send you out to complete virtual tasks in a virtual world, to repetitively collect items and combat imaginary opponents, to solve puzzles or manage systems that have no bearing on the real world. They are all just elegant time wasters, designed to distract you from the real world, to let you pretend, for a moment, that it is not messy and frustrating with no certain payoff, but clear and contained and knowable, with a reward guaranteed at the end.

Would it be awesome if there was some sort of tight narrative hook in NMS, instructing me how I should interpret its universe? Definitely. Do I think NMS is less because it doesn't have that? Absolutely not. And in the end NMS is no less pointless, or more meaningful, than any other game. It's about how I want to spend my free time for a few hours during a busy week. For a number of people, NMS doesn't fit that bill. It's definitely doing it for me though.

Came across a terminal and data log in an abandoned shelter in which the person who left the log was having a heavy self loathing existential crisis.

Taking about not having taken their exosuit off for as long as they can remember and that their body is basically a hazardous puss ridden pit which is potentially contaminating every system they come across.

I also found it interesting that in those abandoned outposts
that often the message in the lower left part of the screen says "returning user" after you have "logged in". How could I (the player) be a "returning user" if I had never stepped foot on that planet before?
Spoilered because whatever the answer is it probably ties into the main storyline...

that often the message in the lower left part of the screen says "returning user" after you have "logged in". How could I (the player) be a "returning user" if I had never stepped foot on that planet before?
Spoilered because whatever the answer is it probably ties into the main storyline...

I noticed that too, but it doesn't happen all the time.

From what I've seen and read:
It's nothing that gets resolved one way or the other through the Atlas Path or anything. There do seem to be a good number of nods to the notion that you and everything in NMS exist within a simulated universe-- meta as fuck, I know-- but that while most things go about a predetermined scripting routines, you and a few others are anomalies within the program, able to exercise "free" will.

From what I've seen and read:
It's nothing that gets resolved one way or the other through the Atlas Path or anything. There do seem to be a good number of nods to the notion that you and everything in NMS exist within a simulated universe-- meta as fuck, I know-- but that while most things go about a predetermined scripting routines, you and a few others are anomalies within the program, able to exercise "free" will.

Yes and that ties into a few pet theories of my own about
the nature of our own, real universe
, but this is a forum to discuss video games. :)

I mentioned planet Seuss earlier! I found a screenshot I made. (Actually it's Moon Seuss.)

This one doesn't have the Seuss-like plants, but the colors reminded me enough I called it Seussian-9.

rrM9gZe.png

a08AgbM.png

yY8sxAR.png

4rXCFIx.png

And here's planet King's Bay from the Uncharted system.

kwivxxe.png

ey8YzIk.png

vX2kEDC.png

wvmje9H.png

And a moon with those large rock formations, some of them looking like boots.

gLGlK6l.png

HOjBxXR.png

Mossybrew

I have no plans at all to upgrade my ship any further, it's a 27 slot and that's fine. Likewise with the tool, I think it's a 17 slot. I'll probably get the suit fully upgraded at some point though. I see a lot of people aiming to max out their ship and tool and that's great, I can understand making goals like that in this game, but I reached a point where I realized for me it's totally pointless. What do I need a bigger ship for? I have all the upgrades I need. Likewise with the tool. I don't need to haul a bunch of stuff for trade because I don't really need money. Occasionally farming when I find a rare item planet provides enough at this point to grab some more suit upgrades. At this point I can just focus on what I find is the point of the game - just being a space tourist.

Raist

Banned

My take on it (Atlas Path spoilers):

When you begin the game, you can get the feeling that you're an integalactic explorer or something who just crash landed. You can't be from there, because everything seems alien to you.

But it seems fairly obvious after going through all 11 stations that it's a simulation and you're a bit of code spawned by the Atlas. There were probably other before you, there will be others after you. Or at the same time than you (other players). So that bit about returning user is basically the system recognizing you.

So the Atlas (HG) wants you to go around, scan stuff and upload it to the mainframe (HG's servers), because it needs you so that it can know itself (nice nod to that Carl Sagan quote). Meta meta.

I wonder if that thing about spawning a new star is real. As in, it does add a new star to the galaxy. Right after you do that, the Atlas spawns a black hole. I wonder if it's just a gameplay thing to teach you about them, or if it takes you to that star. It would be neat if it were actually working that way, because it would mean the game's universe is expanding, like our universe in a way.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are different "types" of abandoned outposts
(that alien thing overtaking can be red, green or yellow from what I've seen so far). I ended up exhausting all the messages with the red ones, because I went back to the first one - just like what happens when you go through all the Plaques stuff. Later on I found a yellow one, and had a message I never read before. Of course, it could be completely random / a coincidence.

This one doesn't have the Seuss-like plants, but the colors reminded me enough I called it Seussian-9.

Cool shots. My idyllic world had those type of trees...the leaves on them bothered me though, look like some janky CGI rendering from the 1990s.

I'd ask you to please limit shots to three per post though (same rules as the photo thread), thanks.

vix

I finished off the atlas path but didn't finish off the Nada and Polo stuff, can I find them again?

This is the best way to make some serious $$$.

Vortex cubes in caves are even better because sentinels won't fuck with you. I stuck around to make about 13million credits and bailed the planet. Was able to make about 600K every 20min or so. This with me already having a 48 slot ship though, so I wouldn't really need to credits to spend on anything else.

There is a way to make vortex cubes stack in piles of 100 which will make things even easier for you, although I'm not sure how this is done.. I believe there is some glitch for it.

Either way, you hit the gold mine bud, stick around and farm for while and then when you get too bored just GTFO :p

Yep. I've only just started playing the game as well. This is my....4th system I've jumped to after the tutorial :)

I'm at 10 Mil now (basically all from this planet). Think I'll spend an evening grinding another 10 Mil out and then move on.

Only got a 22 space ship and 18 space backpack so far, so a. Bit harder going. Still, doesn't take too long to warp to the space station and back again.

Raist

Banned
You had the milestones that Polo wanted?
I got v2 and v3 from him because i had everything he was looking for I assumed.
That's a good point. I didn't mention that I did a lot of it after having lvl 10 in all the milestones, so I don't know if he simply doesn't ask at all if you don't have the correct milestone.

I finished off the atlas path but didn't finish off the Nada and Polo stuff, can I find them again?

Yes. You'll occasionally bump into them. Or they'll bump into you.

Aenima

You can get them both from space anomalies, Thats the way i got all the passes.

Just talk to Specialist Polo and complete his requests (related to milestones), and after a certain amount of visits, he will eventually rewar you the Atlass Pass v2 and after that the v3

EDIT:
They don't ask for data any more. Just keep saying the same things. I've run out of N&P stuff.

Ok seems u already exausted all the request. Might not have some of the milestones u needed by the time u visit it, as i doubt the passes are random rewards since i got them in the end right before exausting all request. Well thers still the hard way left to search them, I read somewhere that they dont spawn in Vy'Keen systems.

Top Bottom