• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Regarding the extreme survival issue:

It just continued to count up the sols for me again! This isn't a fix though (it's also not in the patch notes) as it didn't do that immediately when I landed. I was also not long enough on the surface for it to count from 0 to my current rank so I have to assume that it accumulated all the sols in the background each time I've been on an extreme planet.

So at least you don't have to spend all the time on the same planet and it will go up again at some point. Problem is that I'm now scared that it will reset AGAIN once I warped a few times...

I really don't want to grind this trophy though. Luckily there is freaky wildlife with passive sentinels, Vortex cubes and some useful/rare elements here.
Also, I use NMS to listen through spotify playlists (thanks to the update you can easily save good songs to your library) so I'm sometimes blasting like an asshole through the wildlife and planet, bobbing my head to the tunes :D

r1chard

It's cool that they're continuing to fix issues, but at this point I want to see some new features. I mean, PS4 still doesn't even have a No-HUD option, and that can't be hard to implement.
"Fixing" things like stopping us being able to just hold a button when doing multiple tedious uploads or inventory operations. I played for the first time since 1.09 last night and geez, I just do not get why they'd do that, except to annoy players.

"Fixing" things like stopping us being able to just hold a button when doing multiple tedious uploads or inventory operations. I played for the first time since 1.09 last night and geez, I just do not get why they'd do that, except to annoy players.

I imagine it's because their server architecture is crap and it can't deal with players uploading multiple discoveries simultaneously. But they could at least give us an Upload All button and queue the uploads in the background.

Because they don't have an extra three hundred people to do both.

The game did $100 million plus in revenue. Maybe they can afford to hire some? I mean, I enjoy this game quite a bit, but if you're going to charge $60 and you break sales expectations, I don't think it's unreasonable that you increase your staff size to handle the extra workload that comes with making sure your product works and has features that were advertised.

Fess

I just noticed that the configuration of an NPC's ship changes each time you see it.

I was considering buying a new ship because all of the indestructible components were lined up, and the empty slots were contiguous. I just didn't have enough money. So I went out and hustled a while until I could afford the ship, and then went back to the trading post and waited for it to stop by. When I checked it again, empty slots were scattered about, and some of the components were bunched together, making it impossible to match up all the upgrades.

It's too bad because I've been using the same ship for ages.
Just keep checking the ship whenever it arrives, sooner or later you'll find a version with the right price, size and base components.

I never buy ships anymore though, it's too expensive, I just fix crashed ships instead whenever I find a cool one without inventory slot holes messing up the upgrading.

The game did $100 million plus in revenue. Maybe they can afford to hire some? I mean, I enjoy this game quite a bit, but if you're going to charge $60 and you break sales expectations, I don't think it's unreasonable that you increase your staff size to handle the extra workload that comes with making sure your product works and has features that were advertised.

Hiring people to make content isn't some magic trick . According to what we know NMS was made on their custom engine , so getting people to make content is going to hurt rather than help.
Especially in a game like NMS that generate content that much.

Putting people late on a project to make content is certainly NOT a matter of money. It's a matter of time , structure , organisation , planning

mokeyjoe

Hiring people to make content isn't some magic trick . According to what we know NMS was made on their custom engine , so getting people to make content is going to hurt rather than help.
Especially in a game like NMS that generate content that much.

Putting people late on a project to make content is certainly NOT a matter of money. It's a matter of time , structure , organisation , planning

Yeah, I mean it's been like six weeks since launch. It takes a while to even hire someone, let alone get them up to speed, and then time for them to produce content, test it, integrate it it into the game etc.

WaterAstro

Yes, they can hire people, but it's not that easy finding the right people that fit the team.

They are indie for a reason. They're not about to hire a bunch of temp code monkeys.
Also, they might not even have the space for more workers.

No one should think that once they get money, they can throw money at their problems. Running a business is more complicated than that.

Because they don't have an extra three hundred people to do both.

Really, they need 300 people to add a No HUD or FOV option to the PS4? Or improve the inventory management? Obviously content updates are going to take some time. But there are a LOT of quality of life improvements that could be made without touching the proc gen engine or the content at all. Yes, they're a limited team, but they're also now a limited team with 48 stackable slots of British pounds.

subrock

Got my first ever platinum tonight. Gonna park this game for a while until some new features get added. It's been a bit of an underwhelming ride, but I enjoyed it.

Yes, they can hire people, but it's not that easy finding the right people that fit the team.

They are indie for a reason. They're not about to hire a bunch of temp code monkeys.
Also, they might not even have the space for more workers.

No one should think that once they get money, they can throw money at their problems. Running a business is more complicated than that.

If you're indie, you don't charge AAA price for a game. There are expectations when a game retails for that price, and part of it is that you're going to give the same level of support as whatever is coming from Ubisoft or EA. I understand that coding a game is tricky business, but there are hundreds of developers on Steam who put out a good product for less than $60, and people who purchase those games have lower expectations as a result. If you put out a game at the pricepoint of Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, you will be expected to deliver content at the quality of those franchises, and it you fail to deliver, people will call you out on it. And right now, the consensus is from basically everyone on Earth (even fans of the game), Hello Games has not delivered what they promised. I'm a fan of the game and I'm still enjoying it for what it is (a universe of procedurally generated planets that I can explore), but what is the justification for charging the same amount for a game that 14 people worked on as a game that over 1,000 people worked on (GTA V) over roughly the same time period? If it's that they can deliver just as good an experience, then they can jolly well hire some additional support and get cracking on that code.

Seiniyta

My idea for why they did that is that they don't want people to accidently upload something they still wanted to rename; I had it happen a few times where I uploaded something and accidently slid the cursor a bit too far down and uploaded something else.

on PC with the fast actions mod it's not that big of a deal, but I can imagine it's a bit cumbersome on the PS4.

mokeyjoe

Really, they need 300 people to add a No HUD or FOV option to the PS4? Or improve the inventory management? Obviously content updates are going to take some time. But there are a LOT of quality of life improvements that could be made without touching the proc gen engine or the content at all. Yes, they're a limited team, but they're also now a limited team with 48 stackable slots of British pounds.

Well I personally wasn't thinking of that when someone said 'content'. Yeah, the no HUD option should be simple to implement. The FOV may affect performance though, might not be so straightforward.

As far as improving the inventory management, I guess this may be a 'design decision' rather than a fix per se. I don't know what freighters and bases would bring to the table in that regard so they may just wait until that's implemented to make changes. I presume that changing inventory limits is just a matter of tweaking values, as even mods can do that pretty easily, so pretty much zero work. So if they haven't changed it it's because they don't want to.

My idea for why they did that is that they don't want people to accidently upload something they still wanted to rename; I had it happen a few times where I uploaded something and accidently slid the cursor a bit too far down and uploaded something else.

on PC with the fast actions mod it's not that big of a deal, but I can imagine it's a bit cumbersome on the PS4.

My guess is that uploading is related to a bug somehow and that's why it's been gimped. I actually didn't know you could do this anyway, lol (PS4)

Matt

If you're indie, you don't charge AAA price for a game. There are expectations when a game retails for that price, and part of it is that you're going to give the same level of support as whatever is coming from Ubisoft or EA. I understand that coding a game is tricky business, but there are hundreds of developers on Steam who put out a good product for less than $60, and people who purchase those games have lower expectations as a result. If you put out a game at the pricepoint of Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, you will be expected to deliver content at the quality of those franchises, and it you fail to deliver, people will call you out on it. And right now, the consensus is from basically everyone on Earth (even fans of the game), Hello Games has not delivered what they promised. I'm a fan of the game and I'm still enjoying it for what it is (a universe of procedurally generated planets that I can explore), but what is the justification for charging the same amount for a game that 14 people worked on as a game that over 1,000 people worked on (GTA V) over roughly the same time period? If it's that they can deliver just as good an experience, then they can jolly well hire some additional support and get cracking on that code.
The justification is that people were willing to pay it.

You can think the game was overpriced, but all game pricing is based on the same idea: what price will end up equaling the greatest amount of revenue. Nothing else really matters in that equation.

Well I personally wasn't thinking of that when someone said 'content'. Yeah, the no HUD option should be simple to implement. The FOV may affect performance though, might not be so straightforward.

As far as improving the inventory management, I guess this may be a 'design decision' rather than a fix per se. I don't know what freighters and bases would bring to the table in that regard so they may just wait until that's implemented to make changes. I presume that changing inventory limits is just a matter of tweaking values, as even mods can do that pretty easily, so pretty much zero work. So if they haven't changed it it's because they don't want to.

I was just throwing those things out there as examples; I sent a whole list of small-to-large improvements to Hello that I'd like to see in the game. Yeah I know FOV may not be workable. Regarding inventory, I would happy with QOL improvements like getting rid of the virtual mouse cursor and letting us operate with a traditional d-pad/stick navigation. Or making the animations in the UI interruptible instead of waiting over and over. The UI feels so sluggish and imprecise because of these things. Or letting us switch upgrade/crafting pages with L1/R1. Etc etc. There's so many areas of the UI that need some TLC especially on the PS4, let alone the gameplay mechanics discussed here before like ship combat or recharging systems.

mokeyjoe

I was just throwing those things out there as examples; I sent a whole list of small-to-large improvements to Hello that I'd like to see in the game. Yeah I know FOV may not be workable. Regarding inventory, I would happy with QOL improvements like getting rid of the virtual mouse cursor and letting us operate with a traditional d-pad/stick navigation. Or making the animations in the UI interruptible instead of waiting over and over. The UI feels so sluggish and imprecise because of these things. Or letting us switch upgrade/crafting pages with L1/R1. Etc etc. There's so many areas of the UI that need some TLC especially on the PS4, let alone the gameplay mechanics discussed here before like ship combat or recharging systems.

To be honest I got used to the virtual mouse pretty quickly. It's not even bothering much in Mount and Blade now, lol.

But the switching crafting pages with L1 and R1. God yes...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You can think the game was overpriced, but all game pricing is based on the same idea: what price will end up equaling the greatest amount of revenue. Nothing else really matters in that equation.

What I feel almost disingenuous though is ignoring how on average, as publishers do factor in a percentage of gamers getting some DLC or season pass or something in addition to the base game, the price of AAA console titles is above $60...

So, I reached 5 pages of Planet and System names and now it won't let me name anymore.

Is this a bug? I will report it to Hello Games if that's the case...

So, I reached 5 pages of Planet and System names and now it won't let me name anymore.

Oh that is weird. Are you sure you haven't hit a system or planet that has been named by somebody else? What's the notice given when you try to name something? Or does the circle fill up but you are no longer prompted to name it i.e. text input window doesn't show ?

Quick question, i'm on the Atlas Path and have 4 thingies. Last night i went freeroam and warped to a B type star, i think, anyway is there a reason for me to avoid the Space Anomaly in this system at this time or should i go visit?

Quick question, i'm on the Atlas Path and have 4 thingies. Last night i went freeroam and warped to a B type star, i think, anyway is there a reason for me to avoid the Space Anomaly in this system at this time or should i go visit?

None that I can think of. The Space Anomaly will just allow you a chance to
a) get some tech blueprints (which you'll likely already have) b) show coordinates of a nearby black hole or c) show coordinates of a nearby Atlas Station. There's also a random multitool for sale next to where Polo is usually hanging out.

Going into the Space Anomaly after you've started the Atlas Path doesn't invalidate the path or anything.

Oh that is weird. Are you sure you haven't hit a system or planet that has been named by somebody else? What's the notice given when you try to name something? Or does the circle fill up but you are no longer prompted to name it i.e. text input window doesn't show ?

Ok, so when I hit the Options button, for the discoveries menu, I only see the planets and systems I have named so far. It doesn't matter how many new systems or planets I discover, they just don't show up. If I actually fly in front of the planet I still see the text pop up "...You discovered this on..."

None that I can think of. The Space Anomaly will just allow you a chance to
a) get some tech blueprints (which you'll likely already have) b) show coordinates of a nearby black hole or c) show coordinates of a nearby Atlas Station. There's also a random multitool for sale next to where Polo is usually hanging out.

Going into the Space Anomaly after you've started the Atlas Path doesn't invalidate the path or anything.

Thank you, i'll pop on a Jodcast and give the ole' anomaly a visit tonight.

Ok, so when I hit the Options button, for the discoveries menu, I only see the planets and systems I have named so far. It doesn't matter how many new systems or planets I discover, they just don't show up. If I actually fly in front of the planet I still see the text pop up "...You discovered this on..."

Hmmm, yeah if you are continuing to run into things that the game is attributing to you (i.e. getting the "You Discovered This On...") but failing to list them in the Discoveries Menu so that you can upload or rename them, then I'd say you have a nasty bug there. Before you file a ticket with HG however, just make sure you're definitely looking at the top of your discoveries page. At the bottom of the section listing the planets and system are Up/Down arrow. Make sure hitting the Up arrow doesn't do anything, and that what the menu is showing you is what it thinks are your most recent discoveries.

Hmmm, yeah if you are continuing to run into things that the game is attributing to you (i.e. getting the "You Discovered This On...") but failing to list them in the Discoveries Menu so that you can upload or rename them, then I'd say you have a nasty bug there. Before you file a ticket with HG however, just make sure you're definitely looking at the top of your discoveries page. At the bottom of the section listing the planets and system are Up/Down arrow. Make sure hitting the Up arrow doesn't do anything, and that what the menu is showing you is what it thinks are your most recent discoveries.

Yeah, I have made sure by changing pages all the way back to the start and then working my way to the other end it stops at the top of the 5th page, with no new discoveries to log. Thanks for you help, I have let HG know.

Yeah, I have made sure by changing pages all the way back to the start and then working my way to the other end it stops at the top of the 5th page, with no new discoveries to log. Thanks for you help, I have let HG know.

Epcotman, with the latest patch (v1.09 on PS4) I have seen a couple of times where I couldn't upload or do anything with discoveries until my previous discoveries had populated back into my discoveries list.

Just in case that is what is going on with you, then you may want to just wait for that to finish before attempting new discovery uploads. If that is going on with you then you won't even be able to see your more recent discoveries until the upload completes.

EDIT: I also am very happy with the performance boosts on PS4 with the 1.09 patch. Not seeing terrain LOD pop-in *nearly* as much as before and flying over water worlds is most definitely improved. I've even noticed that it feels like the framerate is improved when flying over a planet's surface at high speed after using the pulse-drive to reach the planet's surface (if you know what I mean). Also flying at really high speed over a planet doesn't result in as much terrain LOD pop-in either.

Also, planets with vortex cubes just lying around for the picking (even without the stackable bug) feels just like striking it rich in the Gold Rush of the old southwest. :)

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Quick question: I've been lugging this extra (11th) Atlas Stone around ever since I finished the Atlas Path, so can I sell it now? For some reason I had 11 and just never got around to looking up whether I can ditch it or not.

Edit:

There's no reason to keep it.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

mokeyjoe

Quick question: I've been lugging this extra (11th) Atlas Stone around ever since I finished the Atlas Path, so can I sell it now? For some reason I had 11 and just never got around to looking up whether I can ditch it or not.

There's no reason to keep it.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
But what if they activate portals in the next patch and you need one... :eek:

Just sell it whenever you find a station/NPC buying it at double the price

Then maybe by I'll have something to spend my 45M credits on. ;)

Yep, I've been waiting for a +100% trader for a few warps now. ;)

Willing to pay it based on what was shown and talked about extensively. How many would've ponied up the cash if they showed the whole first hour of gameplay (the most interesting part of the game mind you) as it is now? I'm sure plenty would've waited or passed entirely.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Raist and someone else mentioned that if I saw the final Atlas dialog tree that even if I cancel out, I've technically completed the Atlas pass. Evidence to support this claim was that if I go to the star map, I'd be able to see black holes in free roam.

After 5 or more hours over a few days, I've yet to see a black hole on the map at all. The only time I see them is after having Nada mark them for me.

Have I bugged out my game or is there still a chance to possibly complete the Atlas path? These 10 stones are taking up valuable inventory slots lol.

Raist and someone else mentioned that if I saw the final Atlas dialog tree that even if I cancel out, I've technically completed the Atlas pass. Evidence to support this claim was that if I go to the star map, I'd be able to see black holes in free roam.

After 5 or more hours over a few days, I've yet to see a black hole on the map at all. The only time I see them is after having Nada mark them for me.

Have I bugged out my game or is there still a chance to possibly complete the Atlas path? These 10 stones are taking up valuable inventory slots lol.

You don't need a black hole to finish the Atlas Path. Just play until Nada and Polo show up again and you are set

Raist

Banned
You don't need a black hole to finish the Atlas Path. Just play until Nada and Polo show up again and you are set

No. He went to the final atlas station already and cancelled (not refused) when asked to give 10 stones back. Regardless, it's over. That last station only shows up once so no matter what there's no way to still complete the Atlas Path now.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Anomalies have showed up but Nada no longer offers me to continue the path of the Atlas. Despite that, I still have yet to see/can not see black holes from the star map.

Guess I need to quit worrying about it and just sell my Atlas stones.

No. He went to the final atlas station already and cancelled (not refused) when asked to give 10 stones back. Regardless, it's over. That last station only shows up once so no matter what there's no way to still complete the Atlas Path now.

Yes, you're right and I'm stupid :)

Belvedere you can definitely sell all of your stones

JoeNut

EDIT: I also am very happy with the performance boosts on PS4 with the 1.09 patch. Not seeing terrain LOD pop-in *nearly* as much as before and flying over water worlds is most definitely improved. I've even noticed that it feels like the framerate is improved when flying over a planet's surface at high speed after using the pulse-drive to reach the planet's surface (if you know what I mean). Also flying at really high speed over a planet doesn't result in as much terrain LOD pop-in either.

That's good to hear, i've not touched it for a month as i'm waiting for some new content, but glad the pop in has been made better.

So, I finally worked out what's going on; New Planets and Systems are in my list to be named but they are no longer appearing at the top of the list, like they used to. But they seem to be buried amongst earlier pages. It's pretty confusing. Now I have to hunt through the list to find and name the discovery.

So, I finally worked out what's going on; New Planets and Systems are in my list to be named but they are no longer appearing at the top of the list, like they used to. But they seem to be buried amongst earlier pages. It's pretty confusing. Now I have to hunt through the list to find and name the discovery.

That only happens for me if I visit already discovered systems, even if the planets are undiscovered. They might use the date of the original system discovery and sort the list by date.

putermcgee

After collecting a couple Atlas Stones, I figured I should focus on that path of the game if only to free up inventory slots. Turns out, freeing up 10 slots was the only reward for finishing the Atlas Path. Another positive is that I no longer need to see that incessant reminder about it in the bottom corner.

So now I feel light as a feather with so much more space for minerals! I've been hauling my junk with the same 22-slot ship for the past several weeks, and am now focused on getting an upgrade. It seems like of the ships I can afford, the max I can get is about 26 slots. Above that, and it jumps to 30-slot ships or above, and they're all about 10M more than I have. Maybe I'm just being picky, though, as I'm looking only at a couple base ship models. Some of them are too boring to bother.

After collecting a couple Atlas Stones, I figured I should focus on that path of the game if only to free up inventory slots. Turns out, freeing up 10 slots was the only reward for finishing the Atlas Path. Another positive is that I no longer need to see that incessant reminder about it in the bottom corner.

So now I feel light as a feather with so much more space for minerals! I've been hauling my junk with the same 22-slot ship for the past several weeks, and am now focused on getting an upgrade. It seems like of the ships I can afford, the max I can get is about 26 slots. Above that, and it jumps to 30-slot ships or above, and they're all about 10M more than I have. Maybe I'm just being picky, though, as I'm looking only at a couple base ship models. Some of them are too boring to bother.

Let me tell you, buying a new ship is one area that could use some serious work. I have about 7M credits and all I've been coming across at space stations are duds. The last couple of times I've booted up the game (I'm waiting for some content patches before going full-on again) I've been trying to find a ship and I haven't found anything worthy of spending those credits on. Too few slots, shit layout, hideous... combine any two of those three.

At any point during the last 9 patches or whatever it was did they fix the thing where you can't clear waypoints? Early on I had my Atlas and other waypoints all set to things, then I
travelled through a black hole
and all the waypoints were stuck in the old area so basically they became useless.

Pretty sure it finds them all. Sometimes it just takes a while

Well I finally found the missing system after many, many attempts and almost giving up. I'm so bloody relieved. It was in the region that I thought it would be as my 3rd and 5th systems were also in that region. The fact that I found it is a miracle however as the system wasn't actually highlighted after doing 'scan for discoveries' multiple times in that region and all of the surrounding regions. It's either bugged for me or the 'scan for discoveries' doesn't actually show every discovered system in the area.

Time for some more exploring!

McLovin

I wonder if they are going to "fix" the portals and stealth activate them. I pretty much stopped playing last week, I would like to play again when the game is closer to what was hinted at in the trailers.

SomTervo

I wonder if they are going to "fix" the portals and stealth activate them. I pretty much stopped playing last week, I would like to play again when the game is closer to what was hinted at in the trailers.

I'm hoping that they slow down a little and that update 1.10 is a content update. One of the team confirmed they are still working on a content update.

Updates 1.02-1.09 were almost weekly.

Top Bottom